OOC Chat

load previous
Jan 15, 2023 5:37 pm
Ups. I posted before reading the latest events. Disregard my previous post.
Brute force has always been a solution in 5e :)
Jan 15, 2023 11:21 pm
I’ll be making a post later today! Just been busy so far this afternoon.
Jan 20, 2023 12:52 am
Not trying to hold up the party. Just exploring options. We can sideline or skip the tooth is needed.
Jan 20, 2023 9:53 am
During the downtime could I purchase spell component:
a diamond worth at least 50 gp
Would it cost me exactly 50 gp or more?

P.S. I think my PC's Aberrant mind after experiencing the last encounter come up with his own version - learning Chromatic Orb as part of lvl up.
Jan 20, 2023 10:01 am
If the rest of the party is okay with it, I'll allow you to use the tourmaline gem that you got for that. It's value is 50 gp. Otherwise it'll be 50 gp for the diamond, not gonna charge extra for that.
Jan 20, 2023 10:09 am
I prefer spending my own money. Don't have anything really to spend it on anyways.
Jan 20, 2023 2:10 pm
Can Chitkree attune to the tooth or get it identified?
He will shorn shine time, in an isolated area, experimenting
Last edited January 20, 2023 2:10 pm
Jan 20, 2023 2:19 pm
I've never been a huge fan of the "identify magic item with a short rest" rule, I think it just seems a bit easy. But since it's a downtime period, I'll allow you to study the item and give me an arcana check (I'll set the DC differently depending on the object, the tooth will just be a DC 15). Alternatively you can pay to get it identified which costs 20 gp.

Here's a list btw of available spell services and their prices:

Cure wounds (1st level) 10 gp
Identify 20 gp
Lesser restoration 40 gp
Prayer of healing (2nd level) 40 gp
Remove curse 90 gp
Speak with dead 90 gp
Divination 210 gp
Greater restoration 450 gp
Raise dead 1,250 gp
Jan 20, 2023 2:33 pm
I agree with the short test being to easy to I'd something
Jan 20, 2023 2:49 pm
Do you allow custom re-skinned spells?
Ex Produce Flame -> replace fire with electric arcs that do lightning damage = Condense Lightning
Jan 20, 2023 2:53 pm
So, we didn't get into specifics, but being an artificer and going into firearms... I figured the easiest way to handle it (since 5e doesn't really have crafting rules) is to put time in in-game for the physical crafting, and spend the listed book price in gold pieces for materials.

We don't need to get into things like figuring out how a shopkeep would make a profit if they effectively sell at cost (250gp in materials to build a pistol that sells for 250gp would never work, but as this (and thr musket that's next on the list) is more of a one-off item, I'm good.

That said... if you have something else in mind, I am all ears.
[ +- ] A simplistic crafting system.
Jan 20, 2023 3:13 pm
The DMG says material costs are 1/2 the finished product price I believe. But then add on renting a forge etc... It is discussed in the section on crafting magic items. Which a firearm kind of is depending on how you view gunpowder in the setting.
Planning on getting the Infusion - Repeating Shot?
Last edited January 20, 2023 3:14 pm
Jan 20, 2023 3:50 pm
I think your crafting rules seem fair. Is one check per downtime alright in terms of time, or do you find that too harsh? Normally expect downtime after each module. You will have to pay to use a forge as well though. But I think the varying price of the finished product depending on your checks is perfectly fine.
Psybermagi says:
Do you allow custom re-skinned spells?
Ex Produce Flame -> replace fire with electric arcs that do lightning damage = Condense Lightning
Depending on the spell, I don’t see why not. Your example for instance seems alright
Jan 20, 2023 4:11 pm
Also, daily costs for lodgings and food is 1 gp. If you want to tip and everything, you can do that at your discretion. For this downtime you can all pay 5 gp
Jan 20, 2023 4:27 pm
Ticked off 8 gp total then. (3 for that night, then 5 for the rest of downtime.)

As for timeframe for rolls, I'm open. Is downtime always going to be roughly the same length? If there is ever an extended downtime I might ask about more than one roll, but we can cross that bridge if we get there.

Meanwhile... I need to buy smith's tools. (The standard 20 gp, correct?)

Rolls

Crafting - Pistol, Roll 1 (INT+Prof. Bonus) - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Jan 20, 2023 4:33 pm
Yup, that’s correct. Are you proficient in smith’s tool? Because otherwise you need to take training to add the proficiency bonus. Some downtimes might be longer and then I’ll allow more than one roll.
Jan 20, 2023 4:37 pm
Although since pistols require fiddling with mechanisms and stuff, I’ll allow you to use tinkerer’s tools as well if you’re proficient in that
Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm
Sassafras says:
Yup, that’s correct. Are you proficient in smith’s tool? Because otherwise you need to take training to add the proficiency bonus. Some downtimes might be longer and then I’ll allow more than one roll.
I am currently proficient with Thieves', Tinker's, Smith's, Woodcarver's, and Jeweler's tools.

I started with Thieves' and Tinker's as part of my starting equipment. (Picked Tinkers (50 gp) over Smith's (20 gp) to start with.)
Jan 20, 2023 5:48 pm
Ah okay, then that’s fine :)
Jan 21, 2023 3:42 am
Just verifying. Chitkree should now be able to use a shield, on a primary arm, and still dual wield shortswords with his secondary arms.
[ +- ] Secondary Arms
Additional crafting questions
How long would it take Chitkree to brew a potion of healing? (Using Herbalist tools)
How much would the supplies to do so cost?
I am assuming I can't look around and just gather them. Or can I leave town and do that nearby?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.