Open Recruiting: Planescape Mega Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 27, 2023 12:09 pm
The endless splat is actually what turned me off from PF1. It fell in the same pit as D&D 3.5 of never ending power creep. The makers incentivised min/maxing to such an absurd degree that the game was no longer about the story or characters for many players, who instead felt compelled to copy some build from a munchkin handbook. Sadly, they could not put a personality on that 5-page spreadsheet and instead they believed the goal of the game was having their cardboard character 'win.' Especially in the online games. Ruined so many games.

Which is why I am pleased with 5E so far. Sure, there is a little power disparity, but nothing like what you would see in Pathfinder.
May 27, 2023 12:37 pm
[ +- ] Digression on Editions
TLDR- it's all personal feeling on which edition is preferred, but I want to run where the players are at.

The ruleset I end up at is going to pull broadly on the entire breadth of the OGL, incorporating good alternate sets and "modular" bits from a wide array of games -- for instance while we will be starting in a 5e base rules, I am definitely going to be using the PF library rules from Ultimate Intrigue when appropriate and I am considering some modification of the relationship rules from 13th age.
May 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Alordis says:
Well my intention will be to take as many as possible- still working details on how to do that.
I commented you, but i would suggest that you have 2 parallel games with 5 players each instead of one game with 10.
I did it once with a Spelljammer game and it was only 120% effort of running 2 games instead of 1. Scene setting posts could be copy/pasted and it's was only 4 players that were waiting for the one to post. It kept an okey flow
May 27, 2023 4:10 pm
@runekybdig- right now my intention is to run it as an open table style where there will be a mix of scenarios - some events in Sigil that everyone is involved in, rumors and chant that lead to missions that players will combine to tackle, and then missions or quests (that spun from those rumors) that the group of 3-6 head out and play.

Since I'm using a mix of published material and written content I will get to copy paste a lot of scene setting stuff from the modules anyways.

This way is going to take me a bit to set up, but then everyone will be able to join even if not everyone plays every mission or module or adventure.
May 27, 2023 5:19 pm
How much as I would love to play Planescape, I retract my interest in the game if it is west marches style.
May 27, 2023 5:58 pm
@ledosero- I wasn't familiar with that term, and I understand why that play style would not appeal to some so if you don't end up joining us I will understand.

I am going to be using elements of that, but some of the modules that players will end up hooked into are very long so it's more of a hybrid rather than a true "West marches" sand box.

I will say that the initial scenario will involve everyone, so just pay attention to this thread when I get everything prepared to fire off actual recruiting and see if what I offer catches back your interest.
May 27, 2023 7:30 pm
Will do. A West Marches-esque game sounds fun.
Last edited May 27, 2023 7:33 pm
May 27, 2023 8:02 pm
Where are 5e players at these days on point buy versus rolled generally?
May 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Alordis says:
Point buy is the norm. There is a load of different rolling mechanics, just be clear on what.
A few times i have seen rolled stats but if the result was to low, it could be scrapped for pointbuy
May 27, 2023 8:24 pm
I see it about 50/50 between rolling and point-boy. The only thing everyone avoids is the standard array.
May 27, 2023 8:41 pm
I don't care about point buy or rolling. Anything works.
May 27, 2023 8:47 pm
Alordis says:
Majority of my 5e games are point-buy.

Love the West Marches idea and bravo for bringing this classic setting back to life!
May 27, 2023 9:53 pm
If I get in, I would like to play a bladesinger wizard (with some multi dip) if custom lineages are available.
May 28, 2023 4:10 pm
Well since I see there's another Planescape potentially starting I owe you guys the official pitch which I will update here by the end of the night
May 28, 2023 7:07 pm
Okay- edited this thread into a recruitment thread. I'll start sending invites out to those who've already expressed interest.

Will be a week before I'm ready to start the campaign so join us in character creation .
May 29, 2023 2:28 am
Alordis says:
Well since I see there's another Planescape potentially starting I owe you guys the official pitch which I will update here by the end of the night
Like you said, Rule of Three! The clock was certainly ticking for me with regards to Planescape. Hope this one is a blast!
Jun 1, 2023 7:21 pm
Hello! Are you still looking for people to join?
Jun 1, 2023 8:14 pm
I'd also be interested if there is room.
Jun 1, 2023 8:27 pm
Looks like you two will be 12 and 13 (potentially 14 with one more pending invite), still well below the limit where things get weird.
Jun 2, 2023 2:21 am
I play 5e in person and online. This would be my first PBP game if you kindly have room for one more.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.