Against the Cult: the next direction (1.4)

Nov 21, 2023 1:16 am
Here's a summary of what has happened already.

Cecily Raptor, famed elven hero, has retired from adventuring after saving villages and defeating villains for hundreds of years. Now she runs the adventurers' guild, "Dungeon Busters!" Cecily has sent a number of novice adventurer employees - Aanbo the monk, Klak the paladin, Morgran the cleric, Ogbar the barbarian, Quest the mystic, Sara the ranger, Thacogygax the sorcerer, Xana the warlock - to the town of Hochoch (which she was instrumental in rescuing more than a century ago) to explore the possibility of opening a franchise office of Dungeon Busters there. The adventurers are to a) determine if there's a need for adventurers in the area, b) demonstrate the heroism of the Dungeon Busters organization, and, if successful, c) set up a branch of Dungeon Busters in Hochoch.

The party arrived in Hochoch and found that adventurers are very much part of the local culture here; nearly every family had an adventurer as an ancestor, and many local landmarks were named by/for adventurers. Everything seemed peaceful in Hochoch, though the party kept hearing reports of strange things happening in the nearby town of Orlane. Then a mortally-wounded miller rode into town, telling how his assistant brought some strangers to the mill and then attacked him. Joined by Durren, a human warrior who'd been raised by elves and wanted to sign up for Dungeon Busters, the party went to the mill and defeated a bunch of bandits who had kidnapped the assistant's wife and occupied the mill, holding it for the infamous bandit known only as "Black." They wondered why a bandit would want a mill as a base of operations and couldn't think of any good reasons without knowing more.

Hearing that Black's bandits often waylaid travelers on Cecily's Road between Hochoch and Orlane, the party decided to set a trap for Black, masquerading as wealthy merchants in an ox-drawn wagon traveling through the Dim Forest to Orlane. But on the way, they ran into Abel Jarl, a forest crofter whose son, Devek, had fallen into a death-like sleep. Aanbo, Quest, and Morgren went with Abel to examine the comatose boy, and discovered from one of Devek's sisters that he'd ventured into an old ruined temple and poked himself with something which sent him into a magical sleep. While they were at the farmhouse, the others waited in the road. There they met a traveling minstrel, Jonbon, on the road from Orlane. As they talked, they heard a large animal in the woods. Xana made the sound of a dragon's roar, hoping to scare away the predator, but instead it goaded the monster into defending its territory. The predator, an owlbear, leaped out of the trees, smashed Jonbon's wagon, and killed his mules with one pounce, then knocked Klak down with a swipe of its paw. The oxen panicked, broke their traces, and ran. The monster completely ignored the party's attacks, clearly looking to challenge the dragon. It left only when Xana tricked it with the sound of the dragon flying away. They healed Klak, and the party went with Jonbon to the farmhouse. Jonbon played soothing music, and Abel agreed to leave with the Dungeon Busters to take Devek back to the temple in Hochoch. They loaded the unconscious boy in a handcart and all the adventurers left with Abel back to Hochoch.

After they had traveled for a couple of hours, Abel suddenly realized that he'd been charmed by Jonbon to leave his wife and kids alone with a stranger! After a few moments of indecision, Abel decided to trust the party with his son and headed back to confront the man who'd magically compelled him. The party split, Ogbar, Aanbo, Xana, Durren, and Quest running back to the farmhouse with Abel, while Sara, Klak, Morgran, and Thacogygax continued with Devek to Hochoch. On arriving at the farmhouse, that part of the party discovered that Jonbon had drugged all of Abel's family, retrieved one of the oxen once the innocents had fallen asleep, and loaded the unconscious woman and children into his wagon, which he then drove back toward Orlane. Running hard, Ogbar and Aanbo caught up to the wagon, fought and subdued Jonbon the kidnapper, and discovered the deeply-drugged-but-still-alive members of Abel's family in the back. They turned the wagon around again and headed back to the farmhouse for the night, with Jonbon bound and gagged.

Sara, Klak, Morgran, and Thacogygax arrived in Hochoch with the unconscious Devek early the next morning, exhausted and hungry from hours spent trudging with the hand cart (and a tense encounter with a hungry bear). The temple's priestess, Diana, examined Devek and conferred with Morgran while the others got a meal prepared by the temple's acolytes. Diana announced that the boy Devek was accidentally poisoned by coming in contact with - possibly injected or pierced by something - some powerful kind of magic sleeping potion. To craft an antidote, she would need to know more about the potion, by at the very least examining a sample of the potion. That would require finding the place where he was stuck.

The party is regrouping to consider what to do next. Morgran and some of the others have decided that they will remain in Hochoch and begin scouting for the location to set up the Dungeon Busters guild hall while remaining on hand to keep tabs on Devek.
Nov 24, 2023 5:46 pm
This is where we resume the game.

Cecily had sent the party ahead to scout out the area and to assess the need for a branch office of the Guild. Cecily was so confident that there was need, however, that she sent her lieutenant, Olpert Razorson, after them later that same day, with a caravan wagon of supplies for setting up the guild office in the area. As more Dungeon Buster aspirants arrive and are vetted, Cecily sends them on to different regions. Knowing that Olpert will have things well in hand, Cecily sent Albertus, Kragga, Joseph, and Theran to Hochoch within days of his departure.

Wagon travel is slower than walking. Olpert only arrived last night, just as the Hochoch group was leaving the Temple of Rao. They spotted Olpert and after he reserved a room for himself at the Inn of Eternal Rest, he heard the reports of all the Dungeon Busters representatives in town: Sara, Morgran, Thacogygax, and Klak. On the strength of their stories - and the fact that the party has already earned goodwill for the organization by rescuing Shalla and the mill from bandits - Olpert has decided that he doesn't need to assess other locations in the region. He's mobilized the team to begin the next stage of opening a new franchise: setting up offices, getting the word out, and finding a site to begin constructing a guild hall. They discussed the plan long into the night, determining specific tasks for each one of them.

As the day dawned, they got to work. Paying Devane for the privilege, Olpert has pulled his caravan wagon into a corner of the Inn's courtyard. He spent the morning with Thacogygax, unloading just enough from the wagon to set up a temporary workstation: a desk, a couple of chairs, writing and drafting supplies. Sara was given a number of Dungeon Busters broadsheets, which she took to a scribe to add the details of "Hochoch" and "Olpert" and "Inn of Eternal Rest." Now Sara is wandering the region, putting up the broadsheets, giving her time to do some soul searching (as she thinks best while walking). Klak has spent the morning scouting the city for likely places to construct a guild hall "worthy of Fus Bardagaskegg," talking to farmers to see who might be willing to sell a piece of their land. Morgran has been meeting with various tradespeople in town, spreading the word about Dungeon Busters, pressing the flesh and plying them with drinks at the Cube, and letting it be known that Dungeon Busters is looking to hire builders.

Last night at the Jarl farm, Abel needed a lot of reassurance that his family was only drugged. He was so scared and furious at their kidnapping that it took both Durren and Quest to talk him out of murdering their captive, Jonbon. Convinced that there may be more to glean from him, the party decided that they'd take Jonbon back to town with the others in the morning. At Abel's insistence, they locked the bound-and-gagged villain in the woodshed, but to be certain, Durren stood guard over the bard. Abel eventually calmed down and thanked each of the Dungeon Busters with his typically effusive, hyperbolic praise. After thoroughly scrubbing out all the cookware (suspicious that it might still hold traces of whatever drug Jonbon used), Abel prepared a decent late-night meal for the party. Quest took some out to Durren and joined him in his vigil, intending to probe Jonbon's mind for further information. Abel prepared comfortable beds for Aanbo, Ogbar, and Xana, and as it was already quite late, the party soon fell asleep.

As the day dawned, Quest was the first to rise, and he announced "I'm going to go back to town now, to tell them what has happened." He left while the Jarl family was waking up, groggily, recovering from their being drugged. Abel greeted their waking with delight. Xana, Ogbar, Durren, and Aanbo got to see another tearful reunion, notching up another heroic success to the Dungeon Busters. Elista prepared a ton of much better food for the group (each of those characters can add up to 5 rations to their inventory) and wished them good fortune, but it's clear that she's eager to get Jonbon off of her farm and out of her life. She sent a care package with Aanbo for Devek, "who surely is awake now and missing his family." Abel looks at each of the heroes in the eyes. "Thank you, Magnificent Potentates! You are ever welcome here! For all that your Majesties have done for us, I can never repay you. It is not fair of me to ask, but if my son is alive again, would you bring him back to me? I wish that I could go with you, but I can't bear to leave my family again so soon. May the gods have blessed my son Devek, and may they bless you, too!"

As the family waved goodbye to the party, Durren took the rope and led Jonbon out of the woodshed and down the track back to Cecily's Road. Not burdened with a wagon and pulling impatiently at the ropes anytime Jonbon seemed to be slowing their progress, the party made much better time on the return trip, arriving back at the bridge across the Realstream River in mid-afternoon.

Aanbo, Ogbar, Xana, and Durren arrive at the Inn of Eternal Rest with their captive just as Theran, Joseph, Kragga, and Albertus arrive to check in with Olpert.
Nov 26, 2023 9:06 pm
As they enter the courtyard, Devane greets the returning heroes with a cheery "Goot evenink! Lait me know if dere's anyting dat I can get for you." Then he backs away to tend to Victor Wilson (dining alone) and Lienne Vereel (surrounded by a group of admirers as always).

Olpert smiles at each of you and gestures you over, marking off your names on a list written on one of the many papers he has spread out on the table in front of his wagon. "Hail and well met, Dungeon Busters! I've already heard tales from the innkeeper and several others in town about how we've saved a mill and defeated some bandits. You're doing excellent work!" He then notices Durren for the first time, frowns slightly, and looks at his list again. "Who's this?"

Durren folds in an elaborate, showy bow and introduces himself, "An it please you, I hight Durren Elderblade, swordmaster and captain of the Sentry Corps. I am at your service, as I dearly wish to join your august company."

"A new applicant, eh? And a swordmaster?" Olpert squints at the man. "Well, we're happy to have qualified candidates join our ranks. But you'll need to go through the qualification trials. It's a bit late for today, but report back to me first thing in the morning and I'll get you started. But in the meantime, I've got to speak to the adventurers already part of Dungeon Busters..." Olpert looks expectantly at Durren, who takes several seconds to understand that this was a dismissal. "Oh! Ah, yea, I shall return to confer with thee on the morrow!" With that, Durren excuses himself and leaves after announcing to Xana, Ogbar, and Aanbo that he will be inquiring at the temple of Rao about Devek's health.

Once he's out of earshot, and looking ruefully in Lienne's direction (he's had enough time to recognize the town gossip), Olpert lowers his voice and addresses the seven remaining heroes: "I arrived last night. I'm setting up the Dungeon Busters office here, for now. But some of your companions have already started working on securing a location for a guild hall. I think we've got that covered for the time being. So I'd like you all to continue troubleshooting problems for the locals in the region, just like you three," he indicates Xana, Ogbar, and Aanbo, "did with that problem at the mill. You can fill in these four" he indicates Theran, Joseph, Kragga, and Albertus, "on what's been going on in the neighborhood and if you have any leads on other problems that need adventurer help. I've started getting the word out, so I'll let you know if anyone comes to me with a job for Dungeon Busters. But in the meantime, keep your ears open for opportunities."

He smiles at you all, then clears his throat. "If there's any updates you want to provide me on what work you've been doing in the area, now's the time. Otherwise, I'd like to finish these reports before I have to start lighting candles to see. Writing by candlelight really hurts my eyes..."
OOC:
(edited to show Olpert's portrait)
Nov 28, 2023 1:09 am
Enter, the knightly fellow. Albertus, Al to friends, nods in kind greeting to his fellow adventurers!

"Greetings, friends. Please, allow myself to introduce my…self…I am Albertus, a local lad here in Keoland, returning by way of the Knights of Holy Shielding in Furyondy. I’ve journeyed back, in betwixt knightly campaigns, looking for work. Seems I’ve found it!

Friends call me Al. You good people can call me Al."
Last edited November 28, 2023 1:11 am
Nov 28, 2023 1:16 am
"Good delvings to you, Al," replies Aanbo with a polite bow.

He kneads the earth of the courtyard with his bare toes, and says, "The boy at the temple, Devek, fell ill when he visited some ruins. Considering the small mark on Devek's hand, I might think he might have been injured by something within." He holds up one of his darts as an example. "I don't know if such is the case, but something there should prove to be the culprit for the boy's condition. Perhaps we should check those ruins and see.

"We also have a criminal," continues the monk, gesturing to the bound and gagged Jonbon. "He should be turned over to the authorities and questioned about his attempted kidnapping of Abel's family."
Last edited November 28, 2023 1:17 am
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 am
Ogbar sleeps fitfully on the comfortable beds, but is thrilled by the fine meal in the morning and is in good spirits when he meets the others, "Name's Ogbar," he says in his way of a joyous greeting, then nods along with Aanbo's explanation, "What he said."
Nov 28, 2023 5:10 am
Kragga stands tall in the courtyard, imposing like a mountain. His long hair streams down his vestments from his head like black rivers.

His deep voice has a power to it, and he speaks with alacrity to illuminate the hidden portents of this meeting.

"Seven. An auspicious number. Seven are the colours of the rainbow. Seven are the days of the week. Seven are notes in the scale. Seven were the Company of Seven - Zagig, Keoghtom, Murlynd, Nolzur, Quaal, Heward, and Tasha. And seven " - and this point, he slows his speech for emphasis "... are we."

Kragga nods to each of the men and the one woman as they announce themselves, and then again to Aanbo's report of the situation.

"I concur with Aanbo. There are many things buried within the ruins of the old world that might cause affliction. An inspection is warranted. Is there a jail or constabulary on the way to these ruins to deposit this pathetic creature?"
Last edited November 28, 2023 5:25 am
Nov 28, 2023 7:01 am
Xana happily takes whatever delicious food she is offered, and is full of thanks as her belly is stuffed bite by bite. Now this is the life! She is in even better spirits than usual when she heads downstairs to meet the others, as well as the.. er.. new recruits?

"Why hello, good fellows! The name is Xana Beren." She dips into a bow towards the newest members of their group. "If you're in need of any training before joining our group, just know that I'm your woman and my fees are quite reasonable if I do say so myself!"

She looks over at Kragga as he begins speaking of numbers and lists... names? To be honest, she stopped paying attention halfway through his diatribe. "Yes! Indeed, in fact seven is the number of times that I- well that's not important now that I think about it. Nevermind! The important thing to know is that there is still much to be done in this fair town, our heroics are not over just yet! Are we off, then?" She looks over at Aanbo and Ogbar, then to their prisoner.
Nov 28, 2023 10:09 am
"Greetings and Salutations to you all. Joseph's my name, Joseph Nimblefingers." The young looking halfling looks to the setting sun. "Begging your pardon friends, but perhaps we should wait until daybreak to depart.
Nov 28, 2023 10:28 am
"Ah, yes! Perhaps morning would be best, friends. Those of us with trammeled nighttime vision might do well to wait a few hours on our quest!

"Anyone need rest in the meantime? Perhaps a nightcap before we turn in?"
Nov 28, 2023 4:45 pm
A young wood elf stands quietly, leaning on his staff as others talk. Eventually he interjects. "A pleasure to meet all of you. I am Theran Naïlo. I am ready to leave whenever the rest of you are ready."

With that brief introduction out of the way, he falls silent, continuing to watch the others interact.
Nov 28, 2023 5:02 pm
"Whatever our course, let us first take this lawbreaker to the local garrison and set him on the path to rectitude. I do not want to cart him about, whether we choose stalk haunted ruins or homely taverns."

"Master Olpert, or anyone who knows - how far away are these ruins by foot?"
OOC:
@spaceseeker19, based on Olpert's answer and our experience in the world (probably knowing when the sun sets at this time of year, etc.), do we have a reasonable chance to get to the ruins before sunset? I know we don't have clocks and such at our disposal, just looking for Kragga's general sense of time.
Nov 28, 2023 7:13 pm
"If none here know where the ruins lie, we can ask the farmer, Abel," says Aanbo. "He and his family are aware of the location, and it should be near their home.

"I'm sure they would like to hear word of their son, regardless, so it would benefit us to pay them another visit."
Nov 28, 2023 11:59 pm
Kragga nods in his agreement with Aanbo for the second time. This dwarven monk speaks sense.
Nov 29, 2023 12:11 am
"I stand ready to assist, friends. If we can get ourselves to yon ruins this eve, all the better! Perhaps the Garrison is open for us to drop the prisoner firstly? Then we can get on with our quest! Onward and upward, I say."
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:48 am
Nov 29, 2023 1:48 am
Len says:
OOC:
@spaceseeker19, based on Olpert's answer and our experience in the world (probably knowing when the sun sets at this time of year, etc.), do we have a reasonable chance to get to the ruins before sunset?
It's mid-afternoon now; if the party decides to leave today and hurries, they might make it back to the Jarl farm before full night, and the ruins are not far from the farm...close enough, at any rate, for Devek to sneak over there and back when finished with his chores without being missed at a meal. Sunset'll start in about three hours.
Nov 29, 2023 2:02 am
Olpert listens to Aanbo's report about the Jarl boy with some interest. "That's wonderful!" He catches himself and lowers his voice again, glowering at Lienne, who is already approaching to hear something 'wonderful.' He adds quickly: "Not wonderful for the boy, of course, but saving people and exploring ruins...that's our bread and butter!"
But he frowns at the bound figure of Jonbon. "You'll have to do something about him right away...the Brenin's reeves don't like others stepping on their authority. I'd say you should turn him over to the reeve, but I found out today that he's not supposed to be back here in Hochoch for another three weeks, when the Town Court will next be in session. I assume they have a holding area for those awaiting court..." As Lienne arrives, his creased face breaks into a smile to match hers, and he resumes at stage volume. "You could ask this charming young woman, who has been so helpful to me all day long. Miss, does the Hochoch Council maintain a holding area for people awaiting the court?" Lienne blushes and curtseys in a way that humans find appealing. Unseen in the background behind her, Soraya shakes her head and grins.

Lienne gushes: "I would be happy to show you brave heroes where we keep our accused in town. What can you tell me about him? What did he do?"
Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm
Our knightly fellow clears his throat, "(Ahem), pardon me," like he’s ready to make some sort of heroic speech!

"M’Lady…I’m new here, but as I understand, this man Jonbon has been labeled a kidnapper of women and children. Well, maybe just one woman, I think…but multiple children! I don’t know if you speak the Keolish tongue, but in that language we’d call him a…well, it’s too provocative a word in mixed company, but basically a very bad person!

"Jonbon the Kidnapper must stand for his accused crimes. I will gladly escort him, along with my associates, to the proper authorities. Or, well, to the place you keep people, until such time as they can eventually be brought before the proper authorities. What you just said. Basically."
Last edited November 29, 2023 1:29 pm
Nov 29, 2023 1:28 pm
"In short, he seems to make very bad decisions."

The comment, quiet yet resolute, comes from the elf in the corner.

Why would anyone kidnap children? The incessant whining alone would be unbearable. Bad decisions indeed...
Nov 29, 2023 1:59 pm
Xana nods sagely in agreement. "Who would think to make such bad choices and do such terrible things? It’s only right that we bring him to justice as quickly as possible." She stands, ready to leave.
load next

Thread locked