Against the Cult: the next direction (1.4)

load previous
Dec 2, 2023 6:22 am
Xana shares a drink with Klak, admiring the beard before realization dawns on her face. She turns to him. "I forgot to mention when we last spoke, but I have the perfect oil for dwarven beards, if you're interested! It's an improvement on a recipe my cousin learned when he worked at a luxury dwarven spa one summer. I could probably sell you some at a much discounted price for my very best friends if you're interested?" She looks at him with hopeful eyes.

At Sara, Xana nods seriously. "You did great! But this kind of work isn't for everyone... if you ever change your mind and need help readjusting to the adventuring life, you just let me know. The rest of us will continue to do good work, bringing an even greater reputation to the Dungeon Busters!" She raises her arms over her head in a victory pose. She pauses just long enough to give Joseph a nudge. "You stick with us, and they'll be singing tavern songs of our tales for centuries to come!"
Dec 2, 2023 5:21 pm
Al buds farewell to departing heroes. I’m glad to be working with all of you. I’m sure we’ll bust many dungeons together!

Checking his gear, for to allow ergonomic hiking weight, our knightly fellow moves up at or near the point. Allowing more survival-minded heroes to lead, but offering knightly assistance in any ol’ case!

Onward and upward, friends! Or well, forward. Even if we’re not moving UP. You know what I mean!
Dec 3, 2023 2:06 am
Having said their preparations and goodbyes, the seven Dungeon Busters adventurers - Xana the gnome Warlock, Theran the elven Druid, Ogbar the human Barbarian, Kragga the half-elven Wizard, Joseph the halfling Rogue, Albertus the human Paladin, and Aanbo the dwarven Monk - head out down the East Road.

The way is familiar to Aanbo, Ogbar, and Xana, and the party makes good time. They arrive at the place where they leave the road to go to Abel Jarl's farm - obvious because the covered wagon that Rufus loaned the party still sits, empty, at the side of the road to mark the spot. Heading into the gloomy woods as twilight falls, the narrow path is brightened by many, many fireflies, igniting their glow like a huge glowing blanket rising around the party and spread out to welcome them. You hail the house as you approach, somewhat relieved to see the warm glow of light in the windows. Abel opens the door cautiously, then throws it open wide and welcomes you all in.

It is a small kitchen/dining/living room, but the family - Abel, Elista, Abella, Emiless, Torren, and even little Wenderly - make room as best they can for the heroes and all of their equipment. The fire is roaring, there is more stew bubbling in the pot, and the family eagerly greets each of the heroes they have not met before now. Then, the introductions complete, the family looks at you expectantly, wondering what news you have of Devek.
Dec 3, 2023 4:11 am
Kragga finds it especially difficult to squeeze into the small space, ducking to avoid bumping his head on ceilings and door frames. He takes his seat carefully, yet the chair legs still groan as his weight settles.

Kragga decides to leave the original heroes the opportunity to tell the tale of Devek first-hand. Instead, he offers up a small display of colourful sparks and such to entertain the children, especially little Wenderly.
OOC:
Casting prestidigitation several times to produce a simple magic show.
Dec 3, 2023 8:13 am
Aanbo speaks truthfully about Devek's condition, stable yet no signs of improvement. "He is under skilled care," he says, "but Lady Diane feels that if we can find one struck him within those ruins, she can better treat him. That is why we have returned. We will make for those ruins and find for ourselves what trouble lies within."

His hands fiddle with his prayer beads, rolling each stone between his dusty fingers in thought. "I remember you said the ruins were nearby. Could you teach us the way, and we will head out in the morning? I only ask for directions, so that you and your kin might be safe at home."
Dec 3, 2023 1:32 pm
Al gathers together with kind companions and humble hosts.

Yes, please direct us to the ruins, if you know the way. My friend speaks truth. We must be gathering there in the morn. There is surely much to do.

Our knightly fellow thanks Abel for kind hospitality. And during the vivst, Al’s mind wanders. Wanders between the mission at-hand, and other reasons for knightly return to Keoland.
Dec 4, 2023 10:17 pm
https://i.imgur.com/2iNl6DH.jpg

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Len
At first the children are alarmed at so many people filling their home...especially because so many of them are so LARGE. But as Xana and Aanbo take turns relating what has happened to Devek in town (with Ogbar occasionally humming, nodding, or harrumphing for emphasis), Kragga creates small sparks which he makes jump from hand to hand. The kids are delighted (even Abella, who tries so hard to seem mature, smiles in delight) when the sparks start his sleeve to smoulder, and he demonstrates the power of slapstick inadvertently as he smacks at the embers with hands that are still sparking, causing more areas to scorch. Thinking it was all intentional, the children applaud Kragga when he finally extinguishes all the little smouldering bits, and Aanbo looks around quizzically, wondering what in his account of Devek's plight had them so entertained.

Abel nods as Elista, who had immediately started cutting more vegetables and adding water to the pot as soon as the party had arrived, begins to ladle out stew into bowls that Abella and Emiless bring to each person in the room. Wenderly clings to his mother's skirts, watching everyone with wide eyes. There is a simple table in the middle of the room with eight chairs of differing heights; Abel sits in one, and each of the party members sits in another. Xana and Joseph find that two of the chairs are the right size for them to sit and use the table comfortably, as they are about the same size as Torren and Wenderly. Excited to help, Torren rushes around, bring each person a wooden spoon, back and forth across the room in a haphazard pattern. When everyone has been provided with food and a utensil, the children and their mother settle down on various pieces of furniture, Wenderly in Abel's lap. Abella smiles shyly at Albertus. Elista says a quick prayer of thanks to Merikka for the bounty, pausing for a moment to allow anyone else to add devotions to another deity, then Abel announces in his Keolish lilt: "Let's eat!"

After a few minutes of companionable munching, Abel puts down his spoon and turns to his daughter Abella. "So, Abella, I know you followed Devek to that ruin at least once." Abella gives a start, but Abel shakes his head. "I told you, you're not in trouble, dear, but Devek needs the help of these heroes. Would you tell them how to get to the ruin?" Abella is a little tongue-tied at first, then she finds herself more at ease directing her narrative to Joseph. Abel translates her Keolish to Imperial for the sake of any heroes who don't speak the local language.

"I didn't go all the way there; I was a little s-uh...hesitant to go there, because you told me not go too far from home, daddy. But, one time, I did ask Devek where he'd gone. I thought he went off to visit Jonquil - he's got a crush on Jonquil - and I saw them holding hands once." Abel and Elista exchange questioning glances here; it's clear they had little idea that their boy had any romantic aspirations. "But he said, no. He said he'd gone northeast until he hit a stream, then followed the stream north. He said that he found an old ruined building made of stone. I didn't believe him, and I teased him about Jonquil. He told me that the next time he went, he'd show me that he wasn't lying. That's when he brought the stone back."

As Abella is relating this account, Abel reaches up onto a shelf and pulls down what appears to be a pottery shard. But as he hands it to Aanbo to pass it around the table, you all realize that it's a fragment of an ancient, crumbling bit of masoned stone, marked with a faint, circular symbol.
OOC:
If you wish, you can make a Religion skill check.
As the stone is passed around, Abel continues the narrative where Abella stopped. "He brought that back with him the last time he went, and fell down dead right after he gave it to Abella...or so we thought. That's when I went to look for help. Abella...well, she was scared to reveal her part in this, and didn't say anything about the stone until after it was clear that Devek wasn't dead. It was only after you rescued my family from that madman and took Devek to the temple that she got up the nerve to tell me."
Dec 4, 2023 10:38 pm
Joseph gives Abella all his attention, seeking to make her as relaxed as possible in the telling of her tale. Afterwords he turns the stone shard around in his hand, plumbing his memory for any meaning the symbol might have.

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Dec 4, 2023 11:23 pm
Aanbo takes his time inspecting the stone piece, turning it in his hand and feeling the coarse grain with his thumb. He brings the stone to his eyes for a closer look, then passes it along.

He tries to remember the directions provided by Abella, ignoring the seemingly-unrelated details of teenage romance and expected parental disapproval.
OOC:
In addition to my Religion check, is it possible to apply Dwarven Stonecunning to the cut or masonry? I'll add the History check, ignore if it doesn't apply.
[ +- ] Stonecunning

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

History (Stonecunning) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Dec 4, 2023 11:32 pm
Al settles his knightly self into a chair near the hearth. He exchanges playful glares with Abella.

"Well that’s quite a FIND you made," Al says to Abella in the Keolish tongue. Emerald-green eyes gaze upon the stone. Our adventuresome fellow drawing upon knightly tuition to recognize its significance.

"The stew smells delicious," Al says to Elista. Allowing his bowl to cool slightly. Even though burnt tongues from hot stew may be among the very least of all our worries!
Last edited December 4, 2023 11:32 pm

Rolls

Religion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Dec 4, 2023 11:49 pm
Ogbar consumes copious amounts of stew as he listens to the talking. He doesn't even check over the stone, knowing he'd have no chance of identifying any markings on it. He simply watches the family in their natural environment and thinks of his dearest Olga and the many children they would one day produce.
Dec 5, 2023 12:26 am
After thanking their hosts for the meal, Theran eats his stew silently, simply choosing to watch and listen. Ruined buildings are of little importance to him, but he will give the piece of stone a cursory once-over as it's handed to him, before passing it along.

Well, they certainly seem to think it's important... whatever it is. Time will tell, I suppose.
Dec 5, 2023 12:39 am
OOC:
Performance Check as requested!
Kragga's fireworks might be a bit too aggressive for the children, he realizes...
Last edited December 5, 2023 12:44 am

Rolls

Performance Check (+1) - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 5, 2023 12:40 am
Xana looks at the piece of stoneware as if fascinated by its... texture? color?... before passing it to the next person.

Rolls

Religion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Dec 5, 2023 12:44 am
Kragga follows the human customs - bowing his head during the mealtime prayer, thanking his hosts, not belching loudly. He works at using the utensils with some concentration.

When offered, Kragga takes the stone shard from Xana and looks it over with curiosity, especially the symbol.
Last edited December 5, 2023 12:51 am

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Dec 5, 2023 4:41 am
Kragga recognizes the symbol as a sort of religious symbolism, clearly representing the sun. Probably some symbol of a sun-worshipping faith.
Aanbo sees that the symbol is similar to that of Pelor, the sun god, but the disc of the sun is enclosed with two very faint etchings: swooping lines as of outstretched arms or eyelids, though one of them ends in a curlicue. As with any faith, there have been many offshoots and sects of the worship of Pelor across history; this is likely to be one of them. Parl was one, Pae another. The stone is clearly a worked piece of some sort of sedimentary rock, very old, and likely the corner of a large block probably four hands' width on a side.
Albertus recognizes the symbol as that of Pae, an ancient avatar or aspect of Pelor whose symbol was the disc of the sun with the body of serpent coiled around it like eyelids: an ancient god of light, life, growth, and regeneration which hasn't been worshipped openly in Keoland for centuries.
https://i.imgur.com/Vzi2Nk7.jpg
The meal finished, the family cleans up the bowls and scrub out the cauldron. Enlisting the help of Albertus, Kragga, and Ogbar, Abel moves all the chairs upstairs, and Elista, Abella, Emiless, and Torren carry down hides and blankets to lay out for the guests to use as bedding. There's the usual jockeying for space for a while before Elista recognizes that there isn't really room for all seven adventurers and all their gear in the one room, so they move Torren and Wenderly out of the boys' room upstairs so that three of the adventurers can stretch out up there (on two beds and a fair bit of floor space) and not have to lie on the dining table.
OOC:
As the fire dies down, each member of the party can share a little story or anecdote with the rest, if you wish.

As the group swaps stories, the younger children gradually fall asleep and their parents carry them upstairs, until it's only Abella, Elista, and Abel staying up as the fire has burned down to a soft glow of red coals. Abel announces that he and Abella will show the party the way to the stream in the morning, and they thank everyone for the stories, as well as for all the help they are giving their family, and they head upstairs to sleep.
Dec 5, 2023 5:46 am
Kragga is pleased to share an anecdote with the others, sharing a tale about Magic.

"Once upon a time in The Land of Black Ice, a wizard came across a fount of powerful oerthmagic. He used it greedily, however, sharing it with no one. At great expense, he erected a tower around the fount, but by the time he finished building it, the reservoir ran dry."

The moral of the story is that magic lasts longer if more people use it, each distinct spell pattern adding to the reservoir of energy. Magic must be used and shared, and not hoarded.

So sayeth the teachings of Boccob."
Last edited December 5, 2023 7:05 am
Dec 5, 2023 2:18 pm
Settling into a warm corner near the firelight, Albertus thinks about the ancient symbol of Pae.

"These ruins must be old indeed," he says in knightly contemplation. "And they were surely religious too. The GOOD kind, Pelor being a benign diety and all that. Or I guess, at least, whoever dropped the stone so long ago was."

Emerald-green eyes barely stay open, as sleep begins coming on. And the knight manages a brief nighttime tale.

"I’m reminded of a time I was saved in battle. I was skirmishing, with the Knights of Holy Shielding, over in Furyondy. A raider had assailed me, and just before striking me with what surely would’ve been a killing blow…my foe was felled by…well, by a mysterious warrior. He wasn’t one of us. He simply stood over me, and told me, ‘Pay it forward.’

"To this day, I don’t know who he was. But it was a moment when I realized, I must fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

"Or at least, that’s the way I took it."

Albertus’ eyes again look over at the ancient stone. And the knight smiles.
Last edited December 5, 2023 2:21 pm
Dec 6, 2023 1:09 am
The next morning dawns slowly, with the sunlight diminished by the trees of the Dim Forest and diffused by the fog typical of these areas close to the Rushmoors. Elista and Abel rise with the dawn, tiptoeing around the supine adventurers as she starts a fire in the hearth and he takes the cauldron to fill it from a rain barrel outside. Once the fire is blazing and the cauldron is starting to steam, they get the kids to help with the rest. Abella collects several eggs, and Abel reaches up for the jar on the high shelf they reserve for special occasions: the remains of the last sack of oats they had bought from Hale Arneson, the miller in Hochoch. Emiless and Torren go out to milk the goats and gather morels and miner's lettuce, respectively.

Thus it is that, as the party rises and brings the chairs back downstairs, the Jarl family has a hot breakfast of omelette and porridge for everyone, with a bit of watered down mead (Abel apologizes; they're at the bottom of their last cask) to wash it down.

As soon as the pots and pans have been emptied of every last trace of food, Abel rises and says "Well, we'll be going now." Recognizing the signal, Abella dons an old, slightly-too-large cloak from the peg and hands an equally shabby one to her father. They lead the way outside. Abel takes up a stripped and oiled old branch that he uses as a staff and heads off into the woods towards the morning light, as best as anyone can see through the very light drizzle that quickly forms beads of moisture on clothing, hair, and packs.

The crofter and his family have cleared the underbrush near their homestead, and travel is quick on the thick layer of leaves that line the forest floor. Condensation drips from every leaf and branch, making a intermittent pattering to accompany your footfalls. Within ten minutes or so, you reach a small spring, which feeds into a tiny pool. Several small birds flutter up from the water's edge as you approach. A little rivulet of water drains from the pool down a channel to the northeast; Abel and Abella lead you down alongside this channel. Soon the way gets more difficult, as fallen branches and wiry shrubs show that you've reached the edges of the area that the Jarl family has cleared, and the party is forced to walk single file. At one point, the path narrows into a ravine as the little trickle of water spills down a stepped waterfall; with care each party member is able to descend the mossy rocks without slipping or catching any of their gear on an obstacle.
https://i.imgur.com/Waue15N.jpg
After another twenty minutes, the land levels out again, and Abel stops the group, somberly pointing to a fallen tree trunk. "This is as far as we go, Abella. Tell them the rest, and we'll head back."
OOC:
Interested characters can attempt a DC10 INT Nature check to fathom what his concern is.
Abella nods and steps forward. She smiles at the group and points along the direction of the water's flow. "If you follow the stream here, in a mile or so it flows into a larger brook. That's as far as I ever went. But Devek told me that, when you cross the brook, you turn left on the other side and follow it for a couple of miles. It forks there, where two streams meet. Follow the right stream and in a few minutes more you'll see the ruin amongst the trees. If you get to the...he said that if you got to the beech trees, you've gone too far."

The father and daughter bid you gods speed and good fortune, and they had back to their home. The girl's directions are fairly straightforward, compared to other directions you've each received in the past. Probably the only thing that has kept this ruin from being well-known are the rumors of man-eating beasts and monsters that inhabit the Dim, which discourage wider settlement and exploration.
OOC:
You may also attempt a DC15 WIS Survival check as you continue your trip.
As you proceed through the Dim Forest, how fast do you want to go: slow, moderate, or fast? The faster you go, the more noise you will make, which is more likely to attract the attention of anything in the woods, but the fewer chances you'll have to run into something. Slower travel means it'll take longer to reach the ruin, more care, less noise, but more time to possibly run into things in the woods.
Dec 6, 2023 1:28 am
Albertus bids find farewell to Abel and Abella. "Glad I got to know you both. Hopefully, our paths will cross again soon enough. Until then, be well."

Our knightly fellow strides ahead. Well, maybe he doesn’t stride, so much as slosh.. The morning mist and dew gathering along Al’s hard brown boots!

Thinking warily upon matters of nature and survival, Albertus suggests a medium-paced frolic through the woods. "I want to say, if we maintain a moderate pace, friends…our timing will be well enough, and we won’t get too fatigued in the process. Other thoughts…?"
Last edited December 6, 2023 2:38 am

Rolls

Nature - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Survival - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

load next

Thread locked