Against the Cult: the next direction (1.4)

load previous
Dec 6, 2023 1:31 am
Theran walks quietly but briskly, staying towards the middle of the group. He makes many mental notes as they travel, intent to know the area they're passing through. "This is a beautiful region," he says softly and to no one in particular, smiling as all the drips drop.

When their guides give them instructions, he listens with rapt attention -- such things matter. Perhaps once he knows his companions better he won't worry as much, but for the moment the wood elf has to assume no one else will be able to get them home.
OOC:
Clearly the dice roller still loves me.
Last edited December 6, 2023 1:32 am

Rolls

Nature (INT) - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Survival (WIS) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dec 6, 2023 2:04 am
Aanbo gazed upon the fallen tree that defined the boundary of their host. He considers that trees must fall all the time in a wild forest, so for Master Abel to distinctly pick this particular one might lend some insight into the woods, perhaps clues to the reported owlbears.

"Thank you, noble sir,"
Aanbo says as thanks before Abel and Abella depart. "Whichever way the land takes us, I hope to find you again."

Rolls

Nature DC 10 - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Survival DC 15 - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Dec 6, 2023 7:50 am
Kragga observes the fallen tree with concern. Such a thing could be an ill omen on a journey.

Kragga is silent during the parting words, letting Al and the others do the talking. He does make a courteous bow to display his gratitude. Once Abel and Abella have departed, he confers with the others about their plan.

"A moderate pace is acceptable," he concurs with Al.

Rolls

Nature Check DC10 - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Surivival Check DC15 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dec 6, 2023 7:42 pm
"Yes, a moderate pace please." Joseph says, knowing that still means walking twice as fast as everyone else.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Survival - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Dec 6, 2023 9:06 pm
Albertus sees the fallen tree trunk, which appears to have fallen some time previously, as it's crumbling from rot. But peering a little closer, he recognizes that only the mossy bark of the tree had rotted. The inside is still firm wood, exposed by the savage effort of some large clawed beast that has ripped the hard wood apart. The others had shared about their encounter with an owlbear: this may be a sign that one remains in the area.
https://i.imgur.com/Waue15N.jpg
As the party progresses at a moderate pace through the brush and bracken, Aanbo's keen eyes note traces of something else's passage: broken ferns here, a bit of scraped moss on a brookside rock there. Jonathan also notices that something has passed this way before the party. Eventually there is a gap in the trees and a shallow place by the water, in which the monk and rogue spot a few neat tracks going in both directions: the footprints of a small human wearing rope sandals. They agree that it's likely to be the path that Devek took, and the mud was thick enough in this spot that his footprints haven't been completely erased by the drizzle yet, even though the teenager last passed through here days ago. Now knowing what to look for, the party begins to follow these tracks, and the way through the forest becomes a little bit easier.

After crossing the stream, Devek's path diverges from Abella's directions a bit: instead of following the headwaters, it cuts directly north through the trees away from the water's edge. After a bit of debate, the party decides to follow Devek's track for a bit, confident that Theran can easily return them to the water if they lose the path.

But the way is relatively clear, and there are many signs of Devek's passing: occasional footprints still visible beneath the fronds of huge ferns, broken leaves that show his passing. Away from the water, there is no sound other than the clanking of gear and the trudging footfalls of the party. The woods seem muted with the moisture, hanging thick about you, somewhere between a sprinkle and a mist. Soon enough you see a darker shape amidst the trees: the remains of a large building, perhaps five times the height of Ogbar or Kragga, overgrown with foliage: trees and ferns that have rooted on every horizontal surface, tendrils of creeping ivy that has grown up many of the vertical surfaces. You stop to consider the shape while it is still half-obscured by the thick air. There is no sound from the ruin. Devek's tracks continue in a straight line toward it.

Rolls

Mysterious rolls to no sinister purpose - (3d20)

(1212) = 15

Dec 6, 2023 9:50 pm
Kragga will state his intention to scout the perimeter, and with anyone who wishes to join him he will cautiously walk around the outside of the building, looking for entrances (especially noting where Devek's tracks intersect with the building's exterior) and structural weaknesses in the sides of the building. He will also approach the side of the building and try to cut and clear away some of the foliage with his dagger to investigate what the walls of the building are made of.
Dec 6, 2023 9:53 pm
OOC:
Can Joseph see inside, or shall I light a torch?
Dec 7, 2023 12:31 am
Aanbo joins Kragga in the perimeter search, for two sets of eyes are better than one. He is not much use in cutting away foliage, but he offers his quarterstaff to push or poke aside stubborn brambles.

"I did not see any extra footprints," says Aanbo. "At least we won't have to worry about trying to find someone else."
Dec 7, 2023 12:40 am
As Aanbo takes a turn at the foliage with his staff, Kragga takes the opportunity to cast Mage Armor. Extending his arcane focus, he makes the arcane signs and speaks aloud the words "Aegis arcanum, embrace my presence." The space around him ripples like the air over a fire as the Mage Armor takes near-invisible form over his vestments, just in case the vines turn out to be the man-eating kind.
Dec 7, 2023 2:07 am
Albertus gazes emerald eyes upon Kragga with knightly approval. He had aided the half-orcish fellow in defending a northern village from raiders, and has been ever-impressed with his friend’s arcane prowess. Our knightly fellow hasn’t met very many orcs of high intellect, and Kragga certainly defies, and indeed exceeds, all such expectations!

I can light a torch if needed. I’ll almost certainly need one, myself. We must be cautious friends, if there’s an owl ear in the area. And we also must be quick in our steps, lest poor Delvek could be in real danger!

Albertus lights a torch if needed, annd otherwise readies his trusty sword. Stuff about to get real.
Last edited December 7, 2023 2:08 am
Dec 7, 2023 7:04 am
Xana reassures Albertus. "Nothing to worry about here, new one! There isn't much that can get by me. I'll protect you from any dangers that may be around the corner, good sir, or my name isn't Xana Beren!" Mid-way through her conversation, she gets distracted by the play of light on nearby leaves and the sounds of nature around them. She smiles, and finds herself subconsciously searching the skies and the ground for any critters to have a nice chat with before remembering that they were all standing around expectantly. "What a truly wonderful day! What were you saying?" She looks back at Albertus.
Dec 7, 2023 2:15 pm
Watching the others as they go about their business, Theran eventually moves forward to check the entryway to the ruins.
Dec 7, 2023 5:39 pm
As the party has chosen which path they have taken, I am wrapping up this thread and will continue the narrative in the next thread, "The Forest Ruin (1.5)."
Dec 7, 2023 8:24 pm
OOC:
Woo hoo!
Last edited December 8, 2023 3:56 am

Thread locked