Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Apr 22, 2024 12:29 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 10:29 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Douklan's plasma projector whined with exertion as it discharged its deadly payload, the magnetic field containing the plasma erupting in brilliant arcs of energy.

With each blast, Douklan poured all of his focus and determination into neutralizing the nanites that had infected the fallen monster. The seconds stretched into minutes as he continued to fire, the weapon's power source steadily dwindling with each successive shot.

As the last of the type-A battery was depleted, Douklan finally lowered his weapon, a sense of grim satisfaction washing over him. The creature once formidable form reduced to little more than smoldering slag and burned flesh.

He quickly got another battery from the shuttle and was ready to go.
The original crew map was not to scale. But Hank had an idea and enough knowledge and programming skills to pull it off. His fingers danced across the keyboard of his dataslab, his eyes focused intently on the holographic map displayed before him. With each keystroke, lines began to form, creating a grid that overlaid the intricate network of tunnels and pathways snaking through the lower levels of the ecumenopolis. Each line marking a distance of one mile. With this new addition, they would be able to measure travel distances more accurately than ever before.
OOC:
Peter, Mercer, and Hank can walk, unencumbered, at a pace of 3 miles per hour, Douklan at 4 miles per hour, and Corbin at 5 miles per hour. This is without a skill check and without significant effort. All of you can hustle for up to double that speed with an Exert check. DC will depend on how fast you wanna go.
OOC:
Ignore the 5 ft scale at the bottom of the image. Each square is 1 mile

Rolls

Hank Heron: Program DC6 - (3d6h2+2)

(221) + 2 = 6

Hank Heron: Know (Geography) DC6 - (2d6+2)

(55) + 2 = 12

Time spent (minutes) - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm
OOC:
Regarding the map, I have another question: Where is the hospital?
How do we want to go? The two main approaches I see are the straight-shot that goes along the "bottom" edge of the wild area between us and them, or going one block "too far" "down", going across, then cutting back up alongside the flooding. The second path is longer, but helps us avoid the wild area. Either works for Hank.

I have no sense of scale, but depending on the distances, it could be worth using the Solaris to get as far along as we can with the green path.
Apr 22, 2024 1:27 pm
Corbin will do what he can for RB and then get ready to move out.

Rolls

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Fix - (4d6h2+3)

(5453) + 3 = 13

Apr 22, 2024 1:35 pm
Peter gets ready to move.

"Corbin, anything else we want to carry to the Solaris? Otherwise I say we get going and let the other crew know they are getting backup"

Peter is also going to ask if somebody is bringing extra food for the extra crew, he’s bringing ammo and medical equipment.
Apr 22, 2024 2:12 pm
Hank doesn't want to get anything else from the Solaris right now. Let's just use the stuff from this shuttle.

Hank turns back to RB and says, "We're going to go try to find and retrieve your crew. However, before we go, a few things ...

"How long do you think it will take you to fix this shuttle to the point it can fly?

"We're going to leave these two suits of armor here until we get back. We're going to swap out some of our A-cells for yours so that we have a full load. The once we leave will be charged soon enough once you get the shuttle running again. Also, we're going to take some rations and a fresh medkit from your supplies to give to your crew when we find them. Anything left will be returned to your shuttle when we get back."
Apr 22, 2024 2:24 pm
For the trip, Hank suggest riding the shuttle down to the grid line between rows 3 and 4. That cuts almost two miles off our trip and saves a lot of time. Plus, the shuttle will be more conveniently positioned for us if we are running away from something. We then take the long, straight path along that grid line all the way to the "2" marker.

This will skirt the area of wilderness along the way. There is also one point just before the "2" marker where we will have to cross over a flooded area, but the map implies that part of the road is still dry. That long straight section looks to be about four miles long, then about a half-mile "up" to get to the marker. So, once we start on foot, it will take just under two hours to get to the marker. He recommends that we use our slowest pace to get there. That way we can conserve some energy for any fights along the way, or to be able to run back if needed.
OOC:
What do "3" and "4" mark again?

Exert? Hank had Exert when we was 18 and doing sports. 13 years of being a desk jockey has certainly atrophied that ability!
Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm
Mercer is going to ask to use the radio.
We're prepping for retrieval. Do we need to prepare for lowlight or for harmful gasses? We have some basic medical supplies we will bring, how are you on food?
Did Jax say what went wrong with the hovorcycle? It may be useful to get you all moved to safety. "

Then to the rest of the CV crew.
"If we may need to carry someone we should bring less, not more. But that hovorcycle may be real helpful in getting people to safety."
Last edited April 22, 2024 2:53 pm
Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm
Quote:
What do "3" and "4" mark again?
OOC:

3. An old electrical substation that may have rare pretech components, useful for modding starships.
4. A large force field, part of the Forbidden Regions defensive measures and the closest entrance to that area.
5. An abandoned hospital. Whispers tell of recently arrived inhabitants that would like to keep their privacy.

RB (Repair Bot)

htech

Apr 22, 2024 11:19 pm
RB (Repair Bot)
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 10:49 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Corbin, you spent 20 minutes but you completely fix RB's legs and its remaining systems. You used your metatool but the salvage crew's spare parts in their shuttle, so you didn't need to use your parts. The droid is now fully operational. It thanks you and gets to work on fixing (his?) shuttle.
Quote:
Hank turns back to RB and says, "We're going to go try to find and retrieve your crew. However, before we go, a few things ...

"How long do you think it will take you to fix this shuttle to the point it can fly?
"2 or 3 hours. Why?"
Quote:
"We're going to leave these two suits of armor here until we get back. We're going to swap out some of our A-cells for yours so that we have a full load. The once we leave will be charged soon enough once you get the shuttle running again. Also, we're going to take some rations and a fresh medkit from your supplies to give to your crew when we find them. Anything left will be returned to your shuttle when we get back."
"Okay, you can take it and gimme me back later. But there are no medkits left, we just have the one and Maya always takes it."

Quote:
For the trip, Hank suggest riding the shuttle down to the grid line between rows 3 and 4. That cuts almost two miles off our trip and saves a lot of time. Plus, the shuttle will be more conveniently positioned for us if we are running away from something. We then take the long, straight path along that grid line all the way to the "2" marker.
"Do you mean all of you are leaving in your shuttle? How I am supposed to protect your ship if you do so? Are you leaving me here... Alone?
OOC:
What do you do?

Luca Vasquez

htech

Apr 22, 2024 11:32 pm
Quote:
We're prepping for retrieval. Do we need to prepare for lowlight or for harmful gasses?
"There is either a lot of light, including UV light, or none at all. People used to farm in the Zyronis underground areas, the Elders left some special lamps. Bring flashlights, if you can, for the really dark areas. About gasses, no. But there are some dangerous flowers that release toxic pollen. Stay away from it and you can safely keep moving."
Quote:
We have some basic medical supplies we will bring, how are you on food?
"We ate today, but there is no food left, all that we had was in the hovercycle. I am more worried about Jax, though, so please hurry. Food will be irrelevant. "
Quote:
"Did Jax say what went wrong with the hovorcycle? It may be useful to get you all moved to safety. "
"Yeah, no need for him to say. It was shot 3 times by those wackos near the electrical substation. We abandoned it there."
OOC:
What do you do?
Luca Vasquez
Apr 22, 2024 11:42 pm
OOC:
Here is some graphical representation of Hank's plan. Feel free to quote and edit, if you wanna change anything. I will wait for your answer to RB before moving on.

Moving the Solaris to D3 just takes 2d6 minutes.
Apr 23, 2024 12:18 am
All right. Mercer will leave the climbing harness, the survival kit, the rations, and the grapnel. He will carry an extra medkit if they need one.
He wants to be able to aid moving people, or their stuf, so he'll leave stuff he doesn't expect to need.
(This leaves him at 2/8 stowed encumberance. Without a medkits.)
He would prefer to move at a DC 6 pace, but will push if asked to.
We should let Jill and whoever is staying with the Solaris head back to RB's shuttle once we're about 10 min out, and we'll radio on our way back?
Last edited April 23, 2024 12:52 am
Apr 23, 2024 12:52 am
"Do we have extra any extra Low-light goggles in the shuttle? Those of us who are wearing the assault suit already have then builtin in, but it would be a good idea to approach possible hostiles without telegraphying our position with flashlights"

Peter will also leave some stuff at the shuttle to be able to carry any new cargo, he will leave the cmbat rifle and 60 rounds of ammo, besides his normal gear he is taking:
- 2 medkits
- 3 lazarus patches
OOC:
those are all in my sheet already
Apr 23, 2024 12:57 am
OOC:
Hank and Mercer made sure there was a lowlight Goggles per person. Even if they had an Assault suit.
Last edited April 23, 2024 3:03 pm
Apr 23, 2024 12:32 pm
"I'm good to go, let's get moving."
Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm
OOC:
To be clear, Hank is now in an armored vacc suit. It looses defense, but adds in a sealed environment. No sure if Mercer did the same. He should have a pair of goggles with him in his backpack.
Before leaving Hank wants to finish with RB. "We are going to use the other shuttle to ferry us to a point farther down the line to get us closer to the crew that needs help. It'll save about an hour of time by doing that. Then we can get back here as quickly as possible. How much outside work do you need to do?

"If another ape or whatever shows up, retreat into this shuttle and radio our ship on this frequency,"
which Hank provides, "and they can come help you get rid of it. But otherwise we need their help to get to the crew faster.

Alternatively, do all you can inside and make sure the shuttle appears dead. The ape was dormant until we showed up, so as long as the outside looks lifeless, you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just stay inside until we get back."

RB (Repair Bot)

htech

Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm
RB (Repair Bot)
The bot's circuits hummed with a sense of pride as it accepted Hank's instructions. "Don't worry, Hank. I can handle any unwanted visitors. But I doubt anything will dare challenge me again after our last encounter. Moreover, as a safety precaution for the innocent apes out there, I'll stay inside and make sure the outside of the shuttle looks like a graveyard."
OOC:
Continues....
Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 10:58 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

The crew of the Solaris braced themselves as the shuttle's engines roared to life, lifting them off the ground and carrying them 2 miles south into the heart of the ecumenopolis.

As they descended further into the labyrinthine depths, the tunnels stretched out before them like veins, the darkness gave way to a bright and illuminated section. Water and dirt had invaded the tunnels here. Finally, Jil signaled that the shuttle was about to land, and the Solaris touched down gently on the damp floor of the tunnel. The crew disembarked, their boots sinking into the mud that covered the ground.

"This is going to be harder than we estimated." - said James.

With Peter leading the way, the crew approached a door set into the tunnel wall. With a hiss of hydraulics, the door slid open, revealing a small passageway beyond.

The crew exchanged wary glances as they stepped through the doorway, a bright and yellowish artificial illumination casting long shadows on the walls. The air was thick with the scent of damp earth and stale water.

Inside the tunnels the ceiling loomed overhead at a height of ten feet, while water and mud pooled around their feet, sometimes reaching depths of up to two feet. Despite the discomfort of wading through the murky water, the crew pressed on, their determination unyielding.
OOC:
Continues...

Rolls

Travel time (Solaris) - (2d6)

(63) = 9

Apr 23, 2024 10:50 pm
Peter overhears the bot entusiastic speech
Quote:
"Don't worry, Hank. I can handle any unwanted visitors. But I doubt anything will dare challenge me again after our last encounter. Moreover, as a safety precaution for the innocent apes out there, I'll stay inside and make sure the outside of the shuttle looks like a graveyard."
OOC:
"yep, it was nice knowing that bot while he was alive
Last edited April 23, 2024 10:50 pm
Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 11:32 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

The crew of the Solaris trudged onward through the underground passageways, their progress slower than anticipated but steady nonetheless. Despite the obstacles they faced, they remained resolute.

As they pressed forward, the terrain began to change around them. The once muddy floor gave way to dry earth, the dirt crunching beneath their boots with each step. And amidst the scattered debris, signs of life began to emerge.Tiny shoots of vegetation poked through the dirt, their delicate tendrils reaching towards the artificial sunlight that illuminated their path.

James knelt down to get a closer look, his fingers brushing against the soft leaves with reverence. "These plants must be hardy to survive in such conditions," he observed, admiration evident in his voice. "It's incredible to see nature thriving even in the depths of the city."

Peter nodded in agreement, with his eyes scanning the surroundings for any signs of danger. "Let's keep moving," he said, his tone cautious. "We can't afford to let our guard down, especially in unfamiliar territory."

Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 11:58 UTC

Abandoned farming village, Underworld, Zyronis

The crew of the Solaris emerged into a vast, spacious chamber, the area lined with duracreet barriers that formed makeshift walls and housing units. Once bustling with life, the area now lay abandoned, its structures succumbing to the relentless march of time and neglect.

Hank surveyed the scene with a furrowed brow, his gaze sweeping over the dilapidated dwellings and encroaching overgrowth.

James approached one of the crumbling walls, running his fingers along the rough surface. "These duracreet barriers and houses were meant to provide shelter and security," he observed, "but now they're nothing more than remnants of a forgotten past." - he remarked, gesturing towards the tangled vines and spider webs that adorned the walls.

Indeed, the signs of overgrowth were everywhere, weaving their way through the cracks and crevices of the duracreet barriers. Spider nets glistened in the artificial light.

Douklan surveyed the area with a sense of unease, his eyes scanning the shadows for any signs of movement. "We should be cautious," he warned, his voice low. "Who knows what might be lurking in these abandoned dwellings."
OOC:
Who knows, indeed? Anyway, you can roleplay a little and please give me the current position for your PCs in the map below or some guidance for me to choose your PCs position, reflecting how you usually travel through those areas. I put James in there.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.