Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Apr 29, 2024 9:37 am
OOC:
Quote:
Douklan would have switched from the plasma projector back to a laser weapon
Ok!
With a precise shot, Douklan hits and kills the last rat inside the house.
OOC:
Quote:
Can I tell how fast the CyberRats seem to move?
You have to go outside and observe. If you just wanna a rough estimate (can we outrun them?) you can keep your main action. If you wanna know how many meters per round, it's Use Skill and uses your main action for this round.
Apr 29, 2024 12:24 pm
With a twitch of his head Corbin activates his comms. "I've got at least 6 more moving in, regrouping."

Corbin fires at one of the rats and falls back to the corner of the house.
OOC:
Shooting burst fire at R7 in B8 and moving back to F4 and facing the main force.

Rolls

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - ToHit - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - Damage - (1d10+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm
As the crew scrambled to respond to the impending threat, Corbin wasted no time in taking action. With practiced precision, he aimed his weapon at one of the approaching rats and fired, the bright energy burst striking true and felling the creature in a flash of light.

But as more rats closed in on their position, Corbin knew that he couldn't hold them off alone. With a swift retreat, he fell back to the corner of the house, taking cover as he prepared to regroup with his teammates.

https://i.imgur.com/UPxRQp5.jpeg
OOC:
To act:
- Hank
- Mercer (will keep to the back of the group - Move to G4?)
- Peter
- Douklan can move, but otherwise already used his main action
Apr 29, 2024 2:30 pm
Peter is still pissed that he missed his shot but with the warning from Hank he goes back into action, he will move to I2 and fires at R8.

"Let's re-group out here, DO NOT get stuck inside the house, and let's get ready to maybe advance directly while engaging"

For now he will stand his ground in the streets, and pay attention to how many more rats seem to come out.
OOC:
Ok, Peter needs to go back to basic training ASAP
Last edited April 29, 2024 2:37 pm

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle - ToHit - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle - Damage - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Apr 29, 2024 4:40 pm
Hank says, "If we're going to stand out here, then let's get together in the center of the road.

"James, keep close. Don't want you to get nibbled on, either."

Hank will fire on a rat he has a clear line of sight on that isn't R8. (He didn't expect Peter to miss.) I figure R3 and R4 are visible, but under partial cover. He should have a clear line of sight on R9, R11, or R12. Let's say R12, but please move that if it is obscured, too. Now, let's see if that equivocating has any meaning ...

Rolls

Hank Heron: Fire Laser Rifle - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Apr 29, 2024 7:05 pm
Unhappy with the decision to move out in the open where the group will have to stay alert in all directions rather than just the two access points inside the house, Douklan nevertheless is accustomed to following orders. He trots out into the street with the others.
Last edited April 29, 2024 7:06 pm
Apr 29, 2024 7:27 pm
No, Mercer was only moving to the back if they were retreating to stay between the rest of the group and the rats.
Mercer is still going to do his best to get to a position with the group closer to the rats. (G5?G6?)
Mercer will then use Total Defense, since there are no rats nearby.
Last edited April 29, 2024 10:39 pm
Apr 29, 2024 11:01 pm
Mercer moves to the street and watch the oversized rats moving towards him. They are as fast as a dog, and would be impossible to outrun.
OOC:
As you used Total Defense, you don't know their exact movement rate.
Peter and Hank missed their shots.
OOC:
Even though Peter has a military background, he is not a Warrior, so his attack bonus is not that great and never will be the same as Douklan's ;).
The advancing horde of cybernetically-enhanced rats surged forward with a relentless determination, their movements a frenzied blur of motion as they closed in on the crew of the Solaris. They tried to bite Peter and did bite Mercer.

Their bodies were a patchwork of metal and fur, the cybernetic implants gleaming against their natural forms. Sharp, metallic teeth protruded from their jaws, glistening with a malevolent sheen as they snarled and snapped at the air. Their eyes burned with an unnatural intensity, glowing red with malice as they closed in on their targets.
OOC:
I didn't get Mercer's armor, so let's clarify, as that's relevant now. The Icarus Harness (in sealed mode) consumes 1 oxygen tank every 30 minutes, unlike a vacc suit that recycles it and uses 1 every six hours. So you would have to haul a lot of tanks for a couple of hours in sealed mode. I suppose you're using it and not vacc proof? Or did you change for an armored vacc suit like Hank? (So your AC is not 16?)

In parallel, let's start a new round. All PCs can act! What do you do?
https://i.imgur.com/5o0cwvC.jpeg

Rolls

2 Rats: Bite vs Peter AC 18 - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (7) + 1 = 8

1d20+1 : (15) + 1 = 16

2 rats: Bite vs Mercer AC 16 - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d20+1 : (17) + 1 = 18

Bite - damage to Mercer - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Apr 29, 2024 11:33 pm
OOC:
The Icarus Harness uses the Vac Refresh, not tanks. I don't see anything about tanks in the book. And he hasn't used it for that purpose yet anyway.
AC is 18 with Total Defense.
Mercer swings at the nearest rat.
Edit: too bad I didn't see anything about nat 20s in this system.
Last edited April 29, 2024 11:41 pm

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Stab - Usual roll - (1D20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm
Hank keeps his bead on R12 and hopes for the best!

Oh! He hit! Hopefully damage matches.

It did! Sweet!
Last edited April 29, 2024 11:42 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Shoot - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Damage - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Apr 29, 2024 11:43 pm
OOC:
Does the rats' AC vary, or are they all the same?
Douklan sees the rats coming at them from all directions. "Huh. Guess we should've stayed inside the building." The Navy pilot aims and beams off a shot at R9. "Let's see if we can thin their numbers a bit!"

Rolls

Laser rifle attack, damage on a hit - (1d20+6, 1d10+1)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d10+1 : (8) + 1 = 9

Apr 29, 2024 11:51 pm
OOC:
Quote:
The Icarus Harness uses the Vac Refresh
Refreshing a Vacc Suit uses an oxygen tank. Details are under vacc suit, page 76. I never found a "vacc refresh", so I don't know exactly how that differs besides the amount of time. Can you point me to it? Otherwise, let's use the same encumbrance (1 every 30 minutes).
Quote:
And he hasn't used it for that purpose yet anyway.
Okay. As you are not sealed, please roll a Physical save.

Quote:
AC is 18 with Total Defense.
I thought you were using your Main action to calculate their speed. But OK, just rough estimates them. I edited my previous post.
spaceseeker19 says:
Does the rats' AC vary, or are they all the same?
All the same. Their HP varies (but not their AC, damage, attack or hit dice).
Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am
OOC:
Quote:
too bad I didn't see anything about nat 20s in this system.
There aren't. But that's a hit either way. Roll for damage :)
Apr 30, 2024 12:09 am
PG76 says:
Vacc fresher: This three-kilo tube filters and compress- es atmosphere to refill vacc suit oxygen tanks. It  can extract oxygen from any atmosphere which  contains it, even in the form of carbon dioxide.  Refilling a standard vacc suit tank requires ten  minutes of operation and consumes one type A  power cell. Most vacc freshers are also equipped  with an emergency hand crank power source,  though it requires at least two hours of cranking.
I do have the Atmofilter on. Would it be something the Atmofilter fixes or at least helps with?
PG75 says:
Atmofilter: This face mask can filter out most atmo- spheric toxins. Attaching a standard vacc suit ox- ygen bottle to a belt-mounted feed will also supply  a breathable atmosphere for up to six hours.
Last edited April 30, 2024 12:10 am

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Physical DC 14 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Mercer Canaan Furio: Vibroblade (Advanced Medium) - (1D8+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Apr 30, 2024 3:28 am
Steady lines and disciplined fire typically triumph over mass attacks. So far this feels like a training sim for Corbin.
OOC:
Burst laser rifle at R11.
Last edited April 30, 2024 3:28 am

Rolls

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - ToHit - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - Damage - (1d10+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Apr 30, 2024 11:16 pm
As the horde of cybernetically-enhanced rats closed in on their position, Corbin, Hank, and Douklan, with disciplined focus, aimed their weapons and opened fire, each shot finding its mark and killing one rat.

Corbin also realized that he had expended half of his magazine in the relentless firefight. With a quick glance at his remaining ammunition, he saw that he had 3 bursts remaining before reloading.

Meanwhile, Mercer surged forward with his vibroblade, his movements fluid and graceful as he danced through the fray. With a powerful swing, he brought his blade down, slicing through the thick fur and metal of one of the rats, cleaving it in two with a single stroke.

https://i.imgur.com/WW8fIf8.jpeg
OOC:
To act:
- Peter
Apr 30, 2024 11:24 pm
OOC:
oh good. They don't have many hit points.
Apr 30, 2024 11:25 pm
OOC:
A vacc fresher is not a vacc REfresh, I think. The latter is the item that we are looking for.
Quote:
I do have the Atmofilter on. Would it be something the Atmofilter fixes or at least helps with?
The rats transmit diseases through bites, so the atmospheric filter doesn't help. But you succeed in the saving thrown, so it was not this time that you got sick. =)
May 2, 2024 11:23 am
Peter is pissed he missed so much, he will aim at R3 and shot a burst.

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - ToHit - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - Damage - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

May 2, 2024 2:53 pm
OOC:

@arthur12320 , Peter cannot fire a rifle in close quarters combat. You have to:

1. Club up your weapon (Rifle-sized guns used this way count as a medium primitive weapon with no Shock score) and Stab with it.
or
2. Disengage and move away without firing.

See page 50 for more details. What do you do?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.