Out-of-Character Posts Thread

load previous
Oct 17, 2016 1:30 am
Thanks for the welcome! I'm stoked to play. BWG is a game i don't get to play very often, or, ever.

I'll give the IC thread a detailed read and then think about how i can insinuate myself into the action.

Also, what rating are we giving this game, as far as content goes?
Oct 17, 2016 1:37 am
Epigone says:

Ah, disconnect. I thought the layout was alley, stairs down, door, bar-named-Cistern. If it's instead alley, door, stairs down, Cistern-no-really-it-is-a-sewer, then yeah I'll definitely be cutting upon hearing "Cease her!" and running upstairs and out the door, then binding the spirit of the door to hinder.
Yep, my bad, however I did make an entry in the In-Character Resource thread describing the Guild HQ in more detail a day or two ago.
Epigone says:
The way you've phrased it sounds like if I decline to spirit bind at all I get auto-captured?
Not so. Binding a Spirit takes time yea? Never saw an official Action count in the book, but w/ Hub n Spokes I don't know that it really matters anyway.

So, you fled the Cistern with ~10m lead on the closest Enforcer (which is ~ 1/2 the length of that room) - there were a couple by Nicastro and a couple others about the room. That's gonna be like 2 seconds at a run. I thought I was being generous giving you a chance to summon at all.

So, when you stop at the top of the stairs/in the alley to summon the spirit they're running the whole time you're summoning, which means you complete the binding/it manifests and Hinders a literal split second before they get to the door. So if you fail to summon, they're at the door (and through it unimpeded), you're just on the other side of that door turning to run. Which = you're caught - they're already/still moving, there's three of them, and I want to keep things moving and the others involved.

If you want to summon while continuing to move, that's gonna be a Disadvantage to the check.

You successfully summon, they have to stop and try to push through the door, while you have more time to flee. It get's you to your "lose them" move. Whether that's just run and run, or hide, or whatever.

If you just want to just leg it - no summoning, you never have to stop, so we'll do a Linked test, Speed Vs. (to achieve enough separation), and whatever your chosen method of trying to lose them is.
Epigone says:

I think Enmity Clause and auto-capture is double dipping the failure. Either just Hub & Spokes, Spirit Binding against an Ob of your choosing to escape or be captured; or Rim, Spirit Binding against Ob 3 to Hinder the lead enforcer, which is +1 Ob to the relevant physical test, and/or get retribution.
Retribution is failure for the test, being captured is just how the stories gonna go if you're stopping while they continue to charge headlong at you, and you fail to Hinder them. They're on you. It's over.

EDIT: also, Retribution is an analogue to a Tax, it's a part of using the attribute, no? Greater Failure conditions/consequences are totally fair game, no?
Epigone says:

Re: Observation, Messandier's help only gives a die if he has Observation opened (which he might, I dunno). 'course you can always say they have the advantage.
Messandier's a she (as is Marlent), and they both have Observation. I don't know what Master Thief worth their salt would not.
Oct 17, 2016 1:39 am
Shark_Bone says:
Also, what rating are we giving this game, as far as content goes?
Good question, we haven't really discussed this. I'm fine with mature language and themes but up to this point I'd say we've kept it pretty PG13.
Oct 17, 2016 3:33 am
Am I correct in remembering we got 2 Fate and 1 Persona Artha as starting?

I like mature themes and content. But I don't want to go farther than the group is comfortable with, as a whole. I'll keep it at PG-13 until everyone has a chance to chime in and we make a final decision.
Oct 17, 2016 3:42 am
Cistern = Guild Hall: got it, I saw the Guild Hall description, and knew we were in something named the Cistern, but didn't put it together that they were literally the same place. Cool.
emsquared says:
Epigone says:
The way you've phrased it sounds like if I decline to spirit bind at all I get auto-captured?
Not so. Binding a Spirit takes time yea? Never saw an official Action count in the book, but w/ Hub n Spokes I don't know that it really matters anyway.

So, you fled the Cistern with ~10m lead on the closest Enforcer (which is ~ 1/2 the length of that room) - there were a couple by Nicastro and a couple others about the room. That's gonna be like 2 seconds at a run. I thought I was being generous giving you a chance to summon at all.

So, when you stop at the top of the stairs/in the alley to summon the spirit they're running the whole time you're summoning, which means you complete the binding/it manifests and Hinders a literal split second before they get to the door. So if you fail to summon, they're at the door (and through it unimpeded), you're just on the other side of that door turning to run. Which = you're caught - they're already/still moving, there's three of them, and I want to keep things moving and the others involved.

If you want to summon while continuing to move, that's gonna be a Disadvantage to the check.

You successfully summon, they have to stop and try to push through the door, while you have more time to flee. It get's you to your "lose them" move. Whether that's just run and run, or hide, or whatever.

If you just want to just leg it - no summoning, you never have to stop, so we'll do a Linked test, Speed Vs. (to achieve enough separation), and whatever your chosen method of trying to lose them is.
Okay, cool. Spirit Binding it is, then, success I get to try to flee, failure I am captured. What's the Ob? (that Ob 3 was just the lowest Ob possible if I wanted to give one person +1 Ob to an immediate test, using the Rim...). For brevity I'll go ahead and roll 5D open ended and separately 1D open ended. If I hit the Ob, ignore the 1D, if I don't, that's me spending a Fate.

(For the record, the reason I thought things were different was originally I was still for ~1.5 sentences after Nicastro said "Cease her!" and then was just walking to the door and the enforcers were going to catch me as I was framed in the doorway, so instead I stopped talking and sprinted, and Spirit Binding takes 1 Action in Fight! while you're assumed to still be moving around. But I agree we need to wrap this up.)
emsquared says:
Epigone says:
I think Enmity Clause and auto-capture is double dipping the failure. Either just Hub & Spokes, Spirit Binding against an Ob of your choosing to escape or be captured; or Rim, Spirit Binding against Ob 3 to Hinder the lead enforcer, which is +1 Ob to the relevant physical test, and/or get retribution.
Retribution is failure for the test, being captured is just how the stories gonna go if you're stopping while they continue to charge headlong at you, and you fail to Hinder them. They're on you. It's over.

EDIT: also, Retribution is an analogue to a Tax, it's a part of using the attribute, no? Greater Failure conditions/consequences are totally fair game, no?
Nope, you either use the skill just as a skill or you invoke the more detailed mechanics from the Rim, not both. Example, say you're a wizard and you want to flee someone by casting Horse's Stride. The options are:
a) Sorcery versus Speed or similar. Success is you flee, failure is GM's option as per a normal versus test like Speed versus Speed.
b) Sorcery against Ob 3. Success is you get stride 12. Failure is you don't cast and you roll a die of Fate for Unwanted Summoning or Garbled Transmission. Either way you are taxed and get your Forte dice to resist. Afterwards, make a versus Speed test and you probably get +2D advantage if you succeeded in casting Horse's Stride.

The Spirit Binding analogue of tax is retribution. You are subject to retribution even on success. You get to resist with any extra successes on the original test. Failure is you don't get help and are subject to even more retribution.
emsquared says:
Messandier's a she (as is Marlent), and they both have Observation. I don't know what Master Thief worth their salt would not.
Can you update the Knowledge thread with genders? Thanks :)

I mentioned the Observation thing because it's actually really rare in lifepaths. I don't think any of the canonical thief-y lifepaths in City or Outcast have Observation, it's usually for scouts, trackers, etc. It's a fine use of general skills though.
Oct 17, 2016 3:42 am
Shark Bone, good question. I am fine with mature themes and content.
Oct 17, 2016 6:09 am
Oh, and assuming I succeed the spirit binding test, my intent will be to get away from any immediate enforcer threat. Task depends on what time it is! If it's more like evening, Nulgha will run through back alleys to lose them and hole up somewhere, definitely not her house. If it's more like afternoon Nulgha will run to some crowded area near the river with plenty of exits like a bustling loading area, lose them in the crowd, then take the back way to somewhere not her house to hole up.

I was thinking test Speed, City-wise, Back Alley-wise, Thieves Quarter-wise, or Inconspicuous versus the three enforcers (or lots of they're all after me).
Oct 17, 2016 9:28 pm
Are the enforcers at the only for into this place? I'm thinking about having zachary rush in after that chase is gone, yelling about how he just heard the bad news, what's everyone doing about it. Sound ok?
Oct 18, 2016 1:14 am
Hey all, busy day. Didn't have time to reply until now.

Shark_Bone, there are multiple ways into and out of the Cistern/Guild Hall, you can have that be your entrance.
Oct 18, 2016 1:22 am
Epigone says:
Oh, and assuming I succeed the spirit binding test, my intent will be to get away from any immediate enforcer threat. Task depends on what time it is!
It's night, so after I post a response to Gord (and you), we can wrap up the final check. If you're just straight legging it, we'll do Speed Versus, Linked from previous check. So you get a +1 Advantage since you succeeded your binding, and the results of the Enforcer(s) Power Versus Spirit will be their Linking test (if they succeed against the Spirit that is, if not, you're gone).

Your Spirit is Power 2 right? So with Hindrance, it'll be the results of a 2d6 roll, +1 Obs for the Enforcers?

EDIT: Traitorous dice! :P So long as your spirit can manage 1 success, you're away Scot free.
Oct 18, 2016 9:16 pm
It was surprisingly hard to find a good image of a thief-y woman with red eyes, and I do not have Photoshop opened. So I just chose one red eye as Nulgha's avatar.
Oct 18, 2016 11:55 pm
Hey all, we had to move our weekly game to Tuesday this week so I may not be able to be too active.
Oct 19, 2016 9:50 pm
emsquared says:
Also, if you have any questions about the gameworld that you would like to know, or think your PC should, feel free to ask.
A note, m^2, if you have or haven't already determined the answer, these are often good times to ask why we want to know, turn it into an intent, call for a -wise test. e.g. this page on -wises, including what appears to be a quote from our own Verrain:
Verrain says:
Any time I would normally ask the GM, 'Hey does my character know anything about X?' I instead say, 'I am going to make a Beginner's Luck roll for X-wise to see if I know anything about it.' If you try that long enough you will know stuff about X.
Oct 20, 2016 2:21 am
Good advice, I'll try to keep that in mind!
Oct 20, 2016 2:23 am
That is from one of my old posts. I didn't know they put it on the wiki. Glad to see the advice is still useful. :)
Last edited October 20, 2016 2:25 am
Oct 20, 2016 2:36 am
Quote:
Gord turns back to Marlent. "Do you think it a coincidence that the Maestro disappears in the River Quarter followed by Capo Porton challenging the Principal? His tone suggests that certainly doesn't.
Them's fightin' words. ...good plan not saying them to Nicastro's face, maybe Gord should instruct Nulgha in Strategy... :D
Oct 21, 2016 2:22 am
Hey guys, just curious. I used the "Note" tool for Shark_Bone (the icon above the reply box that looks like a piece of paper w/ a red gradient and the top right corner folded over), and I was just wondering what it looks like to you all? Haven't used it before.

Do you guys see anything after Messandier sweeping her arm toward a chair?
Oct 21, 2016 2:29 am
Quote:
EMSQUARED SENT A NOTE TO SHARK_BONE
Just that, as a separate post.

FWIW, I'd rather not receive secrets without a super good reason, instead letting Verrain and SB do the dramatic irony thing. I am also completely okay with others receiving secrets.
Oct 21, 2016 3:10 am
Thanks, Epi. And yea, I realize BW is a system meant to be played open-handed. But admittedly part of me just wanted to explore the functionality. I don't plan on making a habit of it, but you guys did say you wanted intrigue... :D
Oct 22, 2016 5:56 pm
Not established, but I would imagine Nulgha is with Capo Porton of the River Quarter and that's where her house is too. She does not own a ship (those are expensive!) but contracts with ship owners to smuggle, providing navigation, weather prediction, spirit aid, and usually also contacts and hookup with illegal goods. A facilitator. When not in major business, she provides minor weather prediction and spirit aid services along the river within the city.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.