Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Sep 14, 2015 4:26 pm
On a muddy slope, a triangle-shaped tunnel about 4' high belches out a robust stream of foul water.
Sep 14, 2015 7:44 pm
Leth looks slightly worried as he follows Felor towards the sewers. He does not like this prospect at all. The shape and size of the sewer tunnel looked exceptionally uncomfortable to try and traverse, not to mention the disgusting flow of "water" that was coming out of it. It would no doubt be very dark inside as well.

The mentions of the "Devil of the Sewers" surface again in his mind. Leth wasn't particularly superstitious, but given the the events of the past few days, it's enough to give him reason for concern. Travelling through the sewers would be difficult enough already, but throw in a possible monster?

"I don't know about this..." Leth says to Felor as they move towards the tunnel opening.

So the tunnel is 4 feet tall, how deep is the water inside the tunnel?
Last edited September 14, 2015 7:46 pm
Sep 14, 2015 7:50 pm
The runoff here is just an inch or two deep.
Sep 15, 2015 10:31 am
Felor pauses at the tunnel entrance. "If we can lose them in here, we can double back towards the city gates. We need to wait for Vad, but I think the Justicar will reach us first."
Sep 15, 2015 6:25 pm
Vad is still behind Scarlip but loses sight of the rest of the party as they descend in elevation. Past the residential area, it's not going to be possible to find cover to hide himself from the justiciar.

What's your plan here, Vad?
Sep 15, 2015 9:09 pm
OOC: How close am I to the Scarlip?
Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm
Let's say he's about thirty yards ahead when you reach your last point of cover at the edge of the residential area. If you linger here too long the others might catch up with you.
Sep 15, 2015 10:07 pm
Coming out of cover, Vad will walk quickly towards Scarlip.

OOC: Vad will take a ready action while walking quickly towards Scarlip. When it appears that Scarlip will take some sort of action towards Vad, he'll hit him with a Ray of Frost and then try to run towards the others (RoF will at least slow him down for a turn).

Rolls

Spell Attack [+5] - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Sep 16, 2015 5:44 pm
Scarlip wheels around, eyes wide, and opens his mouth to shout something, but the only sound he makes is a painful "hrrgghhkkkk" as a blast of sorcerous cold strikes his face, filling his mouth with rime. He fumbles for his weapon with one hand while clawing at his face with the other, trying to scrape the numbing crust away. Vad circles around him just out of reach, running hard to catch up with Leth and Felor below.

Fast forward a bit to Vad reaching his companions at the mouth of the sewer drain.
Sep 16, 2015 6:13 pm
Felor tenses as he sees Scarlip reach the crest of the hill, only to wheel around and have a blue ray of light strike him in the face. Vad reaches Felor and Leth as they're scrambling into the access tunnel.

Just realised I don't have any light source - if anyone does they can lead the way, or I'm happy to lead if you want to pass it over. *Makes note to buy torches next time*
Last edited September 16, 2015 6:14 pm
Sep 16, 2015 6:33 pm
"Just a moment..." Leth says as he fumbles around in his explorers pack before pulling out a torch and his tinderbox. He lights the torch and passes it to Felor. "Here you go." He says, and then tucks the tinderbox back into his pack.
Sep 16, 2015 6:38 pm
Wait nevermind, I'm an idiot, I had torches all along. Can't read my own character sheet.

"Oh, a torch, yes probably a good idea," says Felor, taking the torch in his free hand, before proceeding to advance down the tunnel.

Felor is now wielding his spear and the torch, with shield slung across his back.
Sep 16, 2015 6:53 pm
The drainage tunnel extends for about sixty feet before ending at a transverse passage filled with water of unknown depths. The water is about ten feet across, with a narrow ledge on the other side, about eight inches above the water level. It doesn't smell pleasant down here, but because of the recent weather, the water is about as clean as you could ever hope it to be.
Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm
Roughly what directions do the tunnels go in? Is the ledge only on the opposite side?

Felor will use his spear to test the depth of the water.
Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm
"transverse passage" meaning this tunnel ends at a perpendicular tunnel? Like a "T", and we're at the crossroads?
Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm
Yes, you went about sixty feet west into the drainage tunnel, and now are at a wider passage running north-south. The ledge is only on the opposite side.

Felor's spear scrapes bottom at about five feet down.
Sep 16, 2015 11:01 pm
Is the ledge the only means of "walking" along this tunnel?
Sep 16, 2015 11:02 pm
Not a current as such, but the water isn't exactly still -- there is some gentle sloshing, ripples, etc. You would surmise that sewer tunnels from all around the city fill this channel, which drains out through tunnels such as the one you entered by.

The ledge on the other side is the only walkable surface, unless you were to wade through the water.
Sep 16, 2015 11:05 pm
Got it. And is this tunnel larger than the one we entered through? Like, we wouldn't have to bend over to avoid hitting our heads on the top?
load next

Thread locked