Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Oct 5, 2015 6:00 pm
Order of action is: Felor, Mordred, Leth, Scarlip, Vad.

Felor, you're up!
Oct 5, 2015 6:12 pm
Is it OK to put our proposed actions in the thread before our turn, in case we are away from a computer once our turn rolls around?
Oct 5, 2015 6:25 pm
so... are we all still standing on a small ledge? Like, how much room do we have to move around?
Oct 5, 2015 9:05 pm
Yeah, can we move around on that ledge or are we in a set order/position? How far away is Scarlip?
Last edited October 5, 2015 9:05 pm
Oct 5, 2015 9:15 pm
I may be away from a computer for the rest of the evening, so just in case...

With Scarlip distracted by the adventurers in front of him, Mordred swoops in from behind, slashing with his rapier.

I'll deal non-lethal damage, in the event that Felor hurts him enough for that to make a difference.

ETA: That attack roll should be +5. I tried to add it to the roll, but apparently fouled it up somehow.
Last edited October 5, 2015 9:17 pm

Rolls

Rapier Attack - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Damage (if needed) - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Oct 7, 2015 12:59 pm
More specifically, can I reach Scarlip with my spear for a melee attack (with or without movement)?
Oct 7, 2015 11:44 pm
Leth is furthest away. Vad is closest. The ledge is five feet wide, so you have some mobility, but if things get crowded I'd say there's a good chance somebody will get knocked into the water.

Felor can get around Vad to close the distance to Scarlip and attack with his spear on this turn if he wants. Mordred's attack would take place immediately after that gets resolved.
Oct 8, 2015 6:41 am
Scarlip leaped across the gap earlier without much difficulty it seemed; is that something we can do? Like if Leth wanted to jump across to the other side of the tunnel so he'd have a clearer shot at the Justiciar, could he do that? Or would he have to wade across first?
Oct 8, 2015 8:50 am
The gap Scarlip leapt is the junction of the side tunnel I think, not to a ledge on the other side of the main tunnel (there isn't one).

Seeing that there's no choice now but to engage in combat, Felor moves past Vad to close on the Justicar, and readies his spear.

Spear attack!

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage roll (piercing) - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 8, 2015 6:33 pm
Felor is correct about the gap Scarlip jumped over.

Felor lunges forward with his spear, thrusting it into Scarlip's abdomen just above the hip. As Scarlip doubles over with a sharp grunt of pain, a movement behind him catches Felor's eye: a red-faced being rushing out of the darkness, bearing a long thin sword!

He stops just short and thrusts his rapier into Scarlip's back, but the tip seems to get stuck in the justiciar's leather cuirass, and he jerks it out quickly.

It's Leth's turn to act.
Oct 8, 2015 10:15 pm
Could Leth drop his explorer's pack on the ground, jump into the water, and shoot at the Justiciar in one turn, or would that take multiple turns? If he can, that's what he'll do, because I'm assuming he doesn't exactly have a clear shot standing behind everyone else on the ledge.
Last edited October 12, 2015 5:06 pm
Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm
Sure, you can do that in one turn.
Oct 12, 2015 9:13 pm
Leth quickly slides his explorer's pack off his shoulder and on the ground, near the wall, before jumping in the water. As much as he wanted to get this over with, he still wanted to do his best to make sure he didn't get any of his stuff wet. That miserable night they spent camped out in the longhouse was more than enough to convince him of that. As he jumped in, he made sure to keep his bow above the water, holding it horizontally at eye level. With so many people between him and the Justiciar, he needed to be sure he could get a clear shot. He had at first considered attacking the newest addition to the fray, but seeing as how he had just stuck his rapier into the back of the Justiciar, Leth was inclined to let him keep doing so, at least until the Justiciar was no longer a problem. So thinking, he nocked an arrow to his bowstring, drew it back, and let the projectile loose at the Jusiciar.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add my modifier to my damage roll. Dexterity, Right? so it should be +3 damage. 6 damage total.
Last edited October 15, 2015 3:01 am

Rolls

Attack Roll (Bow) - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage roll (piercing) - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm
Shot from close range and a low angle, Leth's arrow drives straight up under Scarlip's jaw. He lets out a rather anticlimactic sort of "hmmf" sound and slumps back against the wall, sliding down to a seating position, holding himself upright for a moment before tipping over.
Oct 15, 2015 5:23 pm
Still in initiative or no?
Oct 16, 2015 4:44 pm
It's Scarlip's turn. Scarlip is using his turn to lie on his side, bleed out, and not breathe.
Oct 20, 2015 12:34 pm
With the Justicar slumped on the sewer walkway, Felor eyes the newcomer. Demonic-looking, make no mistake, but not quite the nightmarish creature the temple adepts described. A tiefling, perhaps?
"Thank you for your assistance... friend."
With that, Felor carefully lays down his spear and makes his way towards the fallen Justicar. Touching the man's wounds, he mutters a short prayer.
"No sense in adding an actual murder to our fictional crimes," he says to no-one in particular.

Cast Spare The Dying on Scarlip.
Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm
Mercy. It's a very good sign. They are likely criminals, if a Justiciar is running through the sewers to catch them, but as Mordred knows all too well, it's easy for an innocent citizen to get on the law's bad side in Sthombo.

"Not sure I helped out all that much to be honest. I think my blade hit a rivet in his armor or something. I won't bother asking what you did to piss off the Justiciars, but I will ask that you not bring your trouble into the sewers any more."

He sheathes his sword.

"My name is Mordred, though I suspect you've heard me called something else. I am no threat to your life, just a humble thief trying to get by as best I can in a city that doesn't appreciate my... ethnic background.

Now that you've... mostly killed a Justiciar, I'm guessing that your stay in Sthombo is at an end for the time being. I'd be happy to help you out of the city through the underground. Do you have a destination in mind?"

Insight check to see if he can tell if they are dangerous or untrustworthy.
Last edited October 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Oct 20, 2015 4:06 pm
The utterance of Felor's spell stays Scarlip's soul in his body, preventing death, for the moment. But someone will have to remove that arrow from his jaw and tend his wounds for this reprieve to last.

Mordred senses that this hapless group has good intentions, but has been plagued by bad luck and perhaps manipulated into an unfortunate situation.
Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm
I don't have any Medicine skill. Anyone else?
load next

Thread locked