The Runes of Oblivion [Game Thread]

load previous
May 8, 2015 5:35 pm
My name is Barekeln. I am a dwarven priest and healer. Oddly enough, I do not remember you from the inn... which means you most likely joined later, in the period of time which was affected by this dungeon's trap... Oh, and sorry for thinking you were a woman; I often make that mistake with elves... It's... a dwarf thing...
May 8, 2015 6:30 pm
"So, are you good with that bow?" We've encountered all manner of dusty counter tops and vacant shelves so far..."
May 8, 2015 7:45 pm
"Tragically, it seems I've lost my bow. And my arrows, quite curious. I'll have to settle for these spears, but they've stabbed me quite a few meals in my time."

Turning next to Barekeln, smiling "No worries Master Dwarf, I'm sure we all look the same crumpled in a heap on a dusty floor"

"Rollo, I can't say for sure what happened to me, but I'm certainly glad that you hesitated long enough to not to give me the troll treatment"

Farandor stands up and dusts off his tunic. Straightening suddenly, as if remembering, he turns to the group: "Wait... the inn! Did you try the house brandy as well? Maybe that would explain the headache. Either way, the exit's not about to come find us, I say we get moving."
May 8, 2015 9:25 pm
Actually, we already found the exit and know we're 4 hours away form the inn thanks to a note in Veldebran's possession. We figured we were all hired to do a job in these ruins, so we decided to come back in and explore... which allowed us to find you. Perhaps we should keep exploring these ruins, who knows how many other "friends" we'll end up finding...
May 8, 2015 10:00 pm
"Well then, if that's the case I could use some extra gold. But I'm staying behind him." Farandor gestures toward Rollo.
May 9, 2015 7:53 am
"Let's go, follow me brave adventures!" Rollo turns west and follows the corridor
May 9, 2015 8:16 am
The now five adventurers reach another room after 2 meters. The corridor ends in the northeast corner of the room. It is 4 by 3 meters large and has another door in the middle of the west wall. There is a wooden shelf on the north wall in the northwest corner. A large workbench nearly covers all of the south wall. Under the dust you find a complete set of laboratory equipment. Everything looks very tidy.
May 9, 2015 11:54 am
Veldebrand pushes past the warriors. "Let an expert investigate this one, I think we have a wizard's workshop here" as he inspects the workbench and all the equipment. The sorcerer is hungry for things that will increase his wizarding knowledge and magical power and it is quite evident by his sudden lack of concern for traps and other dangers.
May 9, 2015 1:07 pm
The lab equipment is in working condition. Just dust it off and it is ready to use.
On the shelf you find:
* 1 Box with 24 pills
* 1 orange potion
* 2 green potions
* 4 blue potions
* 1 dictionary

OOC: LOOOT :-D
May 9, 2015 2:54 pm
Veldebrand picks up the box of pills and attempts to see if a magical aura is upon the little things.

If he succeeds, he touches one understand their purpose.

Rolls

Detect Magic (MND 8 + AU 2) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Identify Magic (MND + IN 1) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 9, 2015 2:56 pm
"With these potions, we can simply taste them to get an idea of their purpose. Just a taste, now. Anyone interested?" Veldebrand says as he offers the differently colored vials out to his companions.
May 9, 2015 3:05 pm
Allow me to try to discern their magical purposes first. I am a mage as well, after all...

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 9, 2015 3:07 pm
There is definately ambient magic in this room. Bit it's quite diffuse to you at this point. To find out more you should probably concentrate on one item at a time.
May 9, 2015 3:26 pm
(OOC: Oh, okay, very well then. Let's assume my first roll was for the box of 24 pills, since as full-fledged mages, we should already know this is how magic works, right?)

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on orange potion - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on first green potion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on second green potion - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on first blue potion - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on second blue potion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on third blue potion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on fourth blue potion - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on dictionary - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 9, 2015 3:42 pm
The pills are magical.
The orange potion are magical.
You cannot feel magic from the green potions.
The blue potions are magical.
The dictionary is not magical but educational :-) Try using it for its intended purpose...

(Only one roll per type. If you fail the character may not try again. Sorry for not clarifying)
Identifying magic always is a two step process. One to feel the magic aura and one to analyze it.
MND+AU for feeling magic then MND+IN to analyze.
I won't have you reroll at this point :-)
May 9, 2015 3:51 pm
(OOC: Oh yes right, sorry, I assumed that since Dex's character had already sensed magic I would not need to do it as well, but okay, I can live with this judgement call. :D )

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the box of pills - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the orange potion - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the blue potions - (1d20)

(13) = 13

May 9, 2015 4:01 pm
The Pills heal 2 HP each.
The orange potion is a potion of shapechanging making you superstretchy for d20 minutes.

OOC: It is already very easy to identify magic and it is possible at 1st level. I do not intend to make it even easier. IN D&D you needed to learn & prepare the spell... I don't know if it was 1st level but anyway you had 1 spell slot at 1st level. So 1 identify and you're out of juice for the rest of the day.
On the other hand I will always reward creativity. If you have a crazy idea I will likely let you try and give you a chance.
May 9, 2015 4:09 pm
chocokiko says:
The Pills heal 2 HP each.
The orange potion is a potion of shapechanging making you superstretchy for d20 minutes.

OOC: It is already very easy to identify magic and it is possible at 1st level. I do not intend to make it even easier. IN D&D you needed to learn & prepare the spell... I don't know if it was 1st level but anyway you had 1 spell slot at 1st level. So 1 identify and you're out of juice for the rest of the day.
(OOC: Yeah, I sort of understand your sentiment; I was already wondering how useful the Detect Magic and Identify Magic spells in the book were, but if you are limited to only 1 try per item, no matter how many items such items there are, then I guess it would help make such spells a bit more useful...)

Well, Those pills can heal minor wounds, and this orange potion makes you super stretchy for a small amount of time, but I cannot discern the use of the green or blue potions. Veldebrand, mind giving it a try as well?
Last edited May 9, 2015 4:11 pm
May 9, 2015 4:10 pm
"Those look interesting, what of the green ones? Pass one here" Farandor will take one of the green potions, take off the topper and smell it, then taste a little bit, assuming he gets no vehement objections...
Last edited May 9, 2015 4:30 pm
May 9, 2015 4:13 pm
Wait Farandor, let the mages safely identify the potions before risking poisoning yourself...
load next

Thread locked