Welcome!

May 15, 2015 7:44 pm
Take a moment to introduce yourself and your character in this thread. Also discuss your character's connections here (remember, I want each character to have a strong and a weak connection with other characters in the party). We'll start the game as soon as the characters are all created. We'll begin with a short introductory adventure to get you into the swing of the game and also get the characters glued together a bit, and then we'll move into Red Hand of Doom which is a 3.5 adventure/campaign that I'm updating to 5e for this game. I'd strongly advise against looking up the adventure, not knowing is half the fun :)
May 16, 2015 10:37 pm
Hi everyone! Call me Josh when OOC. This will be my first 5e game. I have a few character ideas. The one I'm thinking of using in this game is a Tiefling Paladin with the Acolyte background. He and his mother were taken in by a temple when he was young after his father was wrongfully murdered by an angry mob. The priests intended for the angry young Tiefling to join the priesthood, but an inclination toward violence led him instead to be an agent of vengeance.
Sound good?
May 17, 2015 1:15 am
Hi all, I'm Sam OOC. This is also my first 5E game and my first time as a player in 3 or 4 years, I'm toying with the idea of playing a warlock or sorcerer, since I usually play sneaky stabby types. The back story is eluding me at the moment
May 17, 2015 1:35 am
Welcome, Sam! Have you been unable to play in 3-4 years or have you been running the games? For my group, I'm usually running the games, but we haven't been able to get together in almost a year. As for backstory, I got inspiration for a few when I read through the backgrounds. Good luck!
May 17, 2015 1:40 am
I'm usually the DM, been swimming around warhammer 40k RPGs for the most part.
May 17, 2015 2:13 am
It's been a while since I've read any forgotten realms novels slash history. How long ago was the time of troubles? I was thinking about being a sorcerer with the wild magic sorcerous origin due to exposure to a wild magic zone or brush with a gods power, and since then he's been seeking a way to remove the powers entirely or at least find a way to control his magic so it becomes something more predictable. And since it was a gods power that brought him the power, he wound up at your temple Josh. (Also, nice meeting you)
May 17, 2015 2:49 am
just to let you guys now I run a very loose setting while it is technically Forgotten Realms don't feel obligated to stick to the actual history and locations I'm very flexible and I will change things as needed. Plus I don't know most of it anyway. If looking at the history helps then go for it but don't feel obligated to cohere with it.
May 17, 2015 10:11 am
I feel that is for the best Candi, stick to your own creativity :)

As for my character, I was thinking of making a martial class of some sort. Perhaps even a battle Cleric. I like playing clerics. :)
May 17, 2015 11:06 am
Well, Ceadron, the Time of Troubles was 1358 DR, 4e is set in 1479 DR, and the Sundering began in 1484. The "current" year isn't set in stone. Even though it's been 100+ years since the Time of Troubles, wild magic is still around and your character concept can certainly work. I like that connection you made with our characters. Was this a brief meeting? Have you been staying long?
May 17, 2015 4:16 pm
It's also worth me saying, play whatever character you want. I will adjust the adventure to be a (fair) challenge given the party composition.

For example, If the party doesn't have a cleric or bard, I will compensate by ensuring there are more healing potions scattered throughout the adventure (to make up for the lack of in-party healing). So don't let concerns about party diversity discourage you from making the character you want to make :)

Also, it's sufficient to have a vague background for your character and then fill in the details as we play (that's my favourite way to build a character -- just have a good sense of where they game from, but leave lots of wide open gaps to fill in as you go and develop the character).
May 17, 2015 6:37 pm
Will you compensate if we create a character that isn't min-maxed? I was toying around with the idea of an unarmed barbarian, but I would deal like 0 damage as opposed to one that would use a two handed weapon.
May 17, 2015 6:50 pm
I don't like to force people into boxes, but if you wanted an unarmed fighter/brawler why not Monk? The class naturally supports unarmed fighting. I don't have a PHB to hand (the PHB I use is borrowed and I don't have it right now), but you may also be able to multiclass to Barbarian after taking 1 level of monk to get all the nice unarmed benefits of monk before diving into the Barbarian stuff (and I'm happy to allow your unarmed attacks to count as whatever they need to in order to make Barbarian powers be useful -- whether or not you take monk).

I have no expectation of min-maxed characters. Also, I'll work with you to get your character crunch to match up with your concept (even if that means tweaking class abilities or customizing some parts of the system).
May 18, 2015 1:13 am
Good to know! I'm not married to any one idea at the moment, but I like that you're willing to help us fulfill the concept for a better experience. Good on you :)

Okay I will stop posting here until I actually HAVE a character, haha.
May 18, 2015 2:27 am
Hey guys, sorry for the late intro, and THANKS for accepting me! I've been on board with 5e since the books have been published and have been running a game for a group of my friends. I am quite excited for the opportunity to be a player.

I've really wanted to play an Eldritch Knight fighter, I know level 3 is a ways away so I'll be a regular fighter for all intents and purposes. Does this work for the team? I'm quite willing to change up my options.

If Caedron decides to go sorcerer, we could have a bond wherein my character is quite interested in the magic he's slinging, even though it won't technically be 'wizard' magic.

Let me know what you all think, I'm excited, this should be fun.
May 18, 2015 2:33 am
Hello everyone!

I will put forth some sort of wizard for this game. I'll focus on illusion and such to balance out what Caedron may create with a sorcerer.

I'm very much looking forward to playing as currently I am running a 5e Princes of the Apocalypse here, the Lost Mine of Phandelver on Myth Weavers as well as a Numenera and Call of Cthulhu game!

Looking forward to the game.
May 18, 2015 3:31 am
My previous bond suggestion might be more appropriate directed at a wizard aka Arjen. What do you think?
May 18, 2015 4:17 am
So after thinking about it, if no one has issue with it, I'm going to go with Rurik Iron fist, Mountain Dwarven Warlock. While mining with his clanmates, they stumbled on something they shouldn't have, and unleashed an ancient evil. Acting rashly, he agreed to a pact with the being, becoming its agent in the material realm in return for the lives of the dwarves. Now he roams the world away from his planning, vowing not to return until he's found a way to break the pact without having to pay the lives and surrender his soul for eternal torment. His searches, and the powers gained from his patron have lead him to the church and made frequent partners with a certain tiefling paladin bringing vengeance to those most deserving of it.
Whew, with that out of the way, howdy Arjen, Grendel,and Morrow!
May 18, 2015 4:22 am
Wow, I like it :) I think that's a great warlock concept.
May 18, 2015 4:27 am
Thanks! :D I'm really looking forward to playing with you folks
May 18, 2015 12:06 pm
We've got two characters in and see the others are coming along nicely.

On your character sheet be sure to include your Bond, Flaw, Personality Traits and Connections (to other party members) in the Notes section at the bottom.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.