The Strangling Sea: Chapter 1

load previous
Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am
Letting the others do the talking, Blackstar amuses himself by examining the various curiosities on Firigin's workbench, particularly any mechanical-looking ones.
Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm
Indigo Sharpe. Where is he?" Inidrill states, looking directly into the man's eyes, ready to dissect his words for truth, should he try to obscure it.
Jul 17, 2015 2:50 pm
Nyíl keeps a watch on the rest of the room as she awaits the man to answer Inidrill.
Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm
Firigin's white smile disappeared the moment 'Inigo Sharpe' crossed Inidrill's lips. He glanced toward the door then back at Inidrill before coolly replying, "Inigo is dead. Been dead ever since his tower exploded in flames." He crossed his arms then asked, "Your interest in Sharpe curiously coincides with another's inquiry. Who sent you on this wild goose chase and why?"
Jul 19, 2015 10:34 pm
"Not much of a liar, this one." Nyíl thinks to herself as she slowly rolls her eyes before continuing to scan the room.
Jul 20, 2015 1:57 am
"The Druid, in all her wisdom, declares you false. She has told us you are wrong. The Orc Lord knows it as well and is sending his troops to drag you back to him where they will torture you until you tell them what they want to know.
Last edited July 20, 2015 1:57 am
Jul 21, 2015 9:57 pm
Seeing that he wasn't shamming anyone, Firigin slumped his shoulders, "I don't know how the word got out, but you're right. The Orc Lord knows it, and if The Druid knows as well, then the whole world will soon know!" He took a deep breathe then blurted, "Inigo Sharpe isn't dead, well, not really! There, I said it. And you know what? It feels good to get it off my chest. He had been hinting to me that he had found a way to cheat death and it wasn't until his tower exploded that I believed him." He paused for a moment then leaned toward Inidrill and peered intently into her eyes, "But why are you looking for him? Or rather, why is The Druid looking for him? And why should I help you?"
Jul 23, 2015 7:43 am
Jeremiah tapped one of Firigin's thighs. "Derros made of steel, saying something like 'Above as Below' or something like that. Probably going to come here eventually, wreck this place up even better than I would've on a drunken fit. Know anything about them, maybe help us make sure your safe little haven stays safe?"
Jul 26, 2015 7:17 pm
Firigin looked down at the little gnome tapping on his leg and cocked his head, "Curious. Derros made of steel? I wouldn't know much about that...." He crossed his arms and tapped one of his brilliantly white eye-teeth. "Hmmm...couldn't be a simple construct, for they could easily be dealt with by swords and spells." He hopped off his stool and began pacing and muttering to himself, "The High Druid sent them to find Inigo to help with this matter...he did have a knack for making mechanical devices exceed expectations. Ha! You mean when he actually completed them! But what would he do to help this situation? Above as below? Wrecking this place? Did that blasted man help create these steel creatures, and that's why they want to find him? Curiouser and curiouser. And how are they going to find him, when no one knows where he is? A locating spell? No - if it were that simple, they wouldn't be here bothering you, now would they? Hmm...there's always the boat, but there's no guarantee it will work...or that it even still works."

He stopped his pacing and banged a fist against his forehead, "Blast! I have too many unanswered questions. My curiousity demands answers! I will be honest with you. I don't know where Inigo is. And the only way I know to find him is a boat I made....or should I say copied....or tried to copy. He had been hired to make a boat that would always find the owner - seems the mistress was worried about him dying at sea and wanted a way to always find him or his body. Anyway, after the explosion and Inigo disappeared, I made a copy of the boat, but attuned to Inigo in the hopes I could track him down. The boat never took me anywhere, so I knew he wasn't near water....or that it just didn't work. And I couldn't figure out how to adapt the magics to work on a cart. But much time has passed since then, and perhaps it does work after all and will aid you better than I."

He looked around the room, "That's all I can do to help you find him. Would you like me to show you the boat? It's just a short walk from here....but first! As you can tell," he flashed you a huge grin and waved at the dome above them, "I am especially adept at making things whiter and brighter! - I could drastically improve some of your equipment or smiles if you'd like. I'll even cut you a deal since you took care of that pesky woman for me. What do you say?"
Jul 26, 2015 7:32 pm
Nyíl, hoping to get on Firigin's good side in case future assistance may be needed, draws a blood stained dagger from its scabbard. "Elk-horn dagger, used to be white a long time ago. What would it cost to clean it up?"
Jul 27, 2015 4:15 am
Following Nyil's lead, Blackstar points at his battered & dirty space suit. "Well this used to be bright white!"
Jul 27, 2015 3:22 pm
"A grand adventure indeed. My weapon is clean however, but if you are offering to enhance it somehow...I have no objections."
Aug 3, 2015 11:46 pm
"Ah, yes! Excellent specimens!" He grabbed a set of tongs from the workbench and delicately took Nyil's dagger. He pulled it close to his face and bared his teeth, light immediately bathing the blood-stained steel in white light. He squinted at it, twisting it around, "I dare say, you have taken very poor care of your blade, but I am sure it is not past saving." He moved to Blackstar, walking around him and tugging at the dirty suit, "Fascinatingly curious! I have never in my life seen such strange material! Where did you get it?"

He cast a dubious glance from the dagger in the tongs to Inidrill's polearm, "Clean? I'll be the judge of that, but it will be clean when I am done with it. I will absolutely enhance it! It will be marvelous, magnificent, absolutely majestic! This dagger is small enough I can be done with it tonight, that polearm in three days, and that suit! That may take a week or two.....but before you commit, let us discuss payment."

He moved to the workbench and placed the dagger on a small stand, and tapped the tongs against his leg while he stared up at the ceiling, "Hmm...payment...." he looked at them, "My...ahem...previous employers gave me an ample sum of gold in advance, so I am in no need of gold at the moment. What else might you have to offer?"

OOC: 13th Age puts very little emphasis on gold or currency, as there's usually a better story involved in other methods of payment. I'll leave it to you to decide what your character has that might be of worth. This might also be a good time to cash in on a 5 or 6 of your Icon Relationship rolls - remember that a 6 gives you a straight-up benefit, and while you get a benefit from a 5, it adds a complication of some sort.
Aug 4, 2015 4:56 am
The thought of a grinning troll shield proved too good to pass up. "I'd like you to put a smile on Urgaden's face please," Jeremiah said, with a huge smile on his face. "What exactly should we do with the woman?"
Aug 4, 2015 5:52 pm
Blackstar cleared his throat. "I don't think we can spare a week, nor three days. But I would be glad to come back here and see what you can do for my suit once this present business is over. What we really need right now is your help finding Iñigo Sharpe. I don't doubt your boat will be a big help. If there's anything more then we would be most grateful. As for payment, well..." He looked around the cluttered workshop.

A wise man by the name of Clarke from Blackstar's home world had once said, 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.' Blackstar knew what to offer Firigin. From the wizard's worktable the former astronaut picked up a liquid-filled glass jar with a metal band around the bottom and a delicate chain sticking out of its stopper.

"I could show you a thing or two. See here, your capacitor-"
"I call that a lightning jar. Be careful, it's very-"
"Your lightning jar would hold a stronger charge if you threw out the salt water and lined BOTH the inside and the outside with silver." Blackstar made the changes he described before the wizard could protest. He then picked up a piece of amber from the table and began rubbing it against his sleeve.
"Now you charge the jar with the amber and then-"
By then Firigin had rushed over to stop the crazy mage messing with his equipment. His hand closed on the contraption's chain and he received a tremendous electrical shock that made his hair stand on end! He turned glazed eyes towards Blackstar and his face split to reveal his blinding smile. Clapping his hands, he cried, "That's a far stronger charge than I have ever managed!"
Last edited August 4, 2015 6:22 pm
Aug 7, 2015 1:47 pm
In awe, Firigin gently took the lightning jar from Blackstar and carefully examined it, "...line both sides with silver....charge it with amber? Curious! Who knew such power could come from such a small rock! I doubt even the brilliant Sharpe would be able to replicate such a device! Imagine if I were to....." He looked up, "You have given me a wondrous gift! In exchange, I will make the improvements I promised - but if you don't want to leave your equipment here, then we will have to wait until you complete your quest."

He walked over to Jeremiah and bent over and smiled at the troll on his shield, "My imagination buzzes with the possibilities of what I could do with this!" Straightening, he answered, "I will take care of Nadda's bones. I doubt there is any residual magic imbued in them, but you never know who may have laced a spell or two through them."

Still cradling the jar in one arm, he gestured toward the stairs with the other, "Dusk is not far off - you are welcome to stay the night here, or I could take you to the boat post-haste. It is about an hour's walk from here."
Aug 8, 2015 2:30 am
"That is a conundrum. The Druid's request seems urgent. Can we wait?"
Aug 8, 2015 4:04 pm
"While staying the night does sound welcoming, I think we should pass and get about our journey as soon as possible. Could you take us to the boat now?"
Aug 10, 2015 10:31 am
Jeremiah sighed. He's still miffed at the thought of leaving his favorite shield behind, but there's a task to be done if he's to get that Urgaden smiling. He straightened himself up and spoke, "The sooner we find this witch and deal with her, the better. What could go wrong?"

He looked at Blackstar, then thought to himself Oh crud.
Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm
That sounds agreeable. Let us move on."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.