Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

load previous
May 28, 2015 10:13 am
"Actually we could split. Nothing enters those canals area. Each one could use his own preferred method to cross it."
May 28, 2015 10:14 am
It would seem reasonable for Ronna to get some benefit from her long step, if only because she is used to jumping. Also she was the one who saw the pattern, which is super helpful for us all. Does that maybe count as a minor discovery for her? Anyway we haven't actually all agreed if we're jumping yet :-)"
May 28, 2015 10:18 am
harlandski says:
It would seem reasonable for Ronna to get some benefit from her long step, if only because she is used to jumping. Also she was the one who saw the pattern, which is super helpful for us all. Does that maybe count as a minor discovery for her? Anyway we haven't actually all agreed if we're jumping yet :-)"
No, it even was not natural 20 roll. the scheme could be discovered by any person who rolls high roll on analyzis.
Also far step is NOT balancing and jumping. Balancing and Jumping is pure Speed task , precise and which involve certain body work, and Far Step is un-precise intelligence , datasphere-manipulating, movement/escape ability. So only boon from that is that she can skip last Diff 4 jump completely, and thats alot.
Of Course she could risk using Far Step before last jump, but then she is risking with GM Intrusion :P
May 28, 2015 12:07 pm
Ronna observes the canal pattern in silence for a good while. Eventually she turns to the others, chewing her lower lip deep in thought.

"You know what", she says. "Now that I look at those canals, I cannot see how we could cross that area without most of us falling in once or more."

She looks to the direction of the other obstacles. "Then again, I don't really fancy facing those beasts either. Do you reckon there is any sense in trying to go through the flowers instead? What's the worst that can happen? Falling asleep?"

While speaking, Ronna wanders to Mandoric and touches his arm gently. However, she seems to be too distracted by the problem at hand, failing to focus her healing properly.

So sorry! I had somehow missed your message about the healing up until now!
Last edited May 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Rolls

Work Miracles roll on Mandoric (Intelligence, difficult 2) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 28, 2015 12:33 pm
"Well, I can’t advise on that... never tried it too.... I passed thru such reservoirs twice, and both times passed them by jumping. And unless you are really fumbling and falling there with all your body, falling there once just with one leg is not that bad. I mean, yes, it could neutralize your leg for hour or two, or something similar, but even if one falls completely there, the effect is…. Well not lethal… at least if there are people who can pull the person before it swim in that liquid for enough time to die.

The flowers .... They kill people. People in Yosh-Ul say that further you go inside, it's harder to keep sanity and to move on. I do not know how it works with big group of 7 like ours. But I know that it kills. Only strong-willed dare to go there. I heard that Chazai tribe, and they are all nanos there, have a ritual for youth….. to become adult youngsters must pass through field of Seporia. They pass three persons at once. They are known as strong-willed. But even their youth "fails" the ritual from time to time….. Even if they drag the sleeping ones. If someone falls asleep, dragging him will be hard task because of plants themselves, and it will slow ones who drag sleeping person a lot…. We are big group…. I guess we could handle it…. But… those plants suck energy…. They feed on the living…."
May 28, 2015 1:38 pm
"Not that bad!" Ronna snaps at Zinobia. "Are you serious? Losing the use of your leg or maybe not dying if others manage to pull you up is 'not that bad'?"

Ronna stares at Zinobia and buries her fingers deep into her own hair, ruffling it in frustration. "So the best case scenario is that every time someone falls in, we wait for an hour or two for them to get the use of their leg back, so that they are able to make the next jump? Are you serious that these are our only options?"

OOC: Would it be possible to reach the liquid flowing in the nearest canal while standing safely on the hard ground?

FWIW: Did some number crunching. For anyone with a jumping skill, the longest route is of course trivial. For anyone else, there is less than a 30% chance of making it through without falling in at least once. Even Ronna, who is able to skip the last jump, has only 1-in-3 chance.
Last edited May 28, 2015 1:44 pm
May 28, 2015 1:47 pm
Look, i fallen into that stuff twice... i mean i touched it with my feet, failing to do complex jumps.... it is not that bad... we all go together.... It will slow us.... Chill bones.... but we can rest on other side.... hour or two is nothing... And nothing normally enters those canals.. Except us....

Then he dives into detailed explanation of liquid effects, feelings he experienced and effects of case when someone falls into the liquid with all his body

mechanics on effects explained by Zinobia could be found in Game Discussion thread
May 28, 2015 1:53 pm
"Also we must not forget that sometimes the simple things save a traveller where esoteries and cyphers fail. Do any of you Ladies and Gentlemen have a rope?"
May 28, 2015 1:57 pm
"Nothing?" Ronna asks with a heavy dose of sarcasm in her voice. "Alright. Let's see about that."

Ronna walks to the edge of the closest canal and kneels down. She reaches down to touch the liquid with the tip of her fingers and rubs them against each other.
May 28, 2015 2:02 pm
I wonder if from now on we should have detailed rules discussions in the "Game Discussion" thread, and keep this for the story?
May 28, 2015 2:05 pm
Ronna felt chilling touch of liquid, reaching to her bones. She feels that all her body like glass or crystal, much less flexible that it was before. The sensation is painless, but very discomforting.

Ronna gets 2 Speed Pool damage (50% of full damage due small area of body have been exposed (finger tips)), and +1 to speed tasks difficulty as temporary effect. I also updated your CC on 2 Speed damage
harlandski says:
I wonder if from now on we should have detailed rules discussions in the "Game Discussion" thread, and keep this for the story?
Agree, moved it there
May 28, 2015 2:20 pm
This is a great puzzle, and I could flexskill jumping, but I'm still of the opinion that the six of us would be better off fighting through the avatrols. I know that numenera is not supposed to be a solely combat game, it just makes more sense then doing a series of rolls into an unknown field that sounds like the opium fields from the Wizard of Oz. We have two solid fighters in Jax and Zyob, a healer, and some good rangers. I would say lets play to our strengths through a known danger then jump into an unknown one.

Looks like I missed a couple posts there. You haven't started jumping across right, just stuck your hand in a little?
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:23 pm
May 28, 2015 2:24 pm
Canals is puzzle. And i will award the person who will solve it (will come with idea how to do that) with 1 XP L:) Or you can go and fight Avatrols :)
May 28, 2015 2:27 pm
Mandoric is quite pleased that his companions cannot agree about the best way to proceed, as it gives him more chance to catch his breath, and the use of his mental faculties to consider the different options brings back some strength to his fatigued body.

@TheMightyKobold That's right, we haven't made a decision yet - Jax and Nyom need to give us their assessment. Seriously - doesn't anyone have a rope? Or some other object which could act as an asset here - it would mean most of the jumps could be made without a roll, and the others could be done by using the asset and some effort.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Rolls

10 minute Speed recovery - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

May 28, 2015 2:27 pm
Well if anyone has skill in jumping, the easist path is the fifth with all the single difficulty jumps since they would be moot rolls with a couple of 2 difficultly rolls knocked to single difficulty rolls.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:28 pm
May 28, 2015 2:34 pm
Can we wait for Jax and Zyob to cast their ideas and opinions into the mix before we get too carried away? I for one still vote to fight even though I could make it through this with no rolls given my flexskill use for the day and some effort. That speed damage and increased difficulty is no joke. I can't really tell what Mandoric wants to do besides catch his breath.

@harlandski I have rope. Anyone else with an explorer's pack should too.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:37 pm
May 28, 2015 2:39 pm
Mandoric studies the liquid in the canals. He reaches out his right hand over the liquid, the hem of his sleeve coming up a little over his wrist, revealing the start of a deep-looking scar. The skin on his hand begins to alter, at first imperceptibly, and then it becomes alive, as if millions of tiny creatures were moving just beneath the skin. His blue eyepiece begins to glow as he looks down at the liquid.

You're right, we should wait for the others. The rope could be used to stop people falling too far, or at least to be able to pull them out quickly to diminish Speed damage, maybe.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Rolls

Scan esotery to determine something about the nature of the liquid - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 28, 2015 2:46 pm
It is coolant liquid. Its been here for long time. It is not organic and have nano-structure of it's own. It is not moving and could not be moved. Perhaps it cooling the earth?
May 28, 2015 2:52 pm
Mandoric takes a cup out of his backpack. I suppose we have such basic utensils as we have been eating and drinking., and carefully dips it into the liquid, trying not to get any on his hands. He moves a safe distance away from his companions, and beneath the rise of the hill so as not to alert any beasts nearby, strikes a match, and at arms length drops the match into the cup, pulling his arm away quickly, and moving himself away like when you light a firework. If nothing happens, he sees if he can ignite it like a candle, tipping the cup and putting a match to the surface, again getting ready to drop it and move away if necessary.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Rolls

Gathering liquid - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Seeing if liquid ignites - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 28, 2015 2:54 pm
How wide is the widest point of the canal? Also, is there anything to fasten the rope to on either side?

Said widest, meant narrowest.
Last edited May 28, 2015 2:54 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.