Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

load previous
May 28, 2015 4:15 am
Mandoric and his seskii finish off one of hounds and another, impaired and heavy wounded, fleeting, while bleeding.
Another one lying there in dust in deep slumber.

Lucas's arrow hit some kind of big speric plant, punctured it, and it's exploded into the air.

Nor Lucas nor Ronna did not found any darts / arrows they could reuse later.

Zinobia starts to move at north-west direction. Party follows him, guarded by mighty Jax on it's end.

While on run, Zinobia explains that the plant of Orosomia is edible plant for different kinds of mammals and creatures, and it have synergy, some kind of alliance and connection, kind of symbiosis with local Avatrols. Perhaps it is how plant protect itself from being destroyed or killed, but it is known fact in this area, that if any local animal / mammal tempted by juicy smell of Orosomia (which normally humans do not sense at all), and try to consume it, it explodes, releasing some particles inot the air, which move in air around with huge speed, and connecting with nervous system of Arvatrols. Obcourse angered Arvatrols come, kill and consume creatures which attacked the plant. And, of course, Avatrols are happy, because in fact the plant feeds them - it bring them, omnivore creatures, to flesh, blood and sinew they so like to munch.

So the now party needed to run in order to exit immidiately out from zone of high chance of appearance of Arvatrols.

The party moved very fast for half of hour, may be more, through broken, hilly plains.

PLEASE everyone SUBSTRACT 1 point of speed from your Speed pool, it is the cost of such sprint
After some point Zinobia said that he thinks they are ok and could decrease speed of party's movement.

Party moved for another hour with much slower pace, with Zinobia watching for tracks and signs of creatures around.

Lucas, i completely forgot. You use light armour without Practiced in Armour skill. As we already in 2.5 h + into the game after it started you should substract 2 might points from your Might Pool for wearing light armour.

Mandoric - you stated you have Armour of 1, but you did not listed any light armour. If you had one you must remove 2 points of might and 1 point of speed now. If there no light armour you need to change your Armour to 0.

The party arrived to some kind of hill, and Zinobia rushed to observe whats going around from it. He crouched and raised hand, signaling to slow down, and crouch.

"Group of Avatrols in front of us, resting" - whispered he loundly, calling for party members to look where 6 lying Avatrols could be seen at quite far distance (~300m) from the hill party was on .

We need to adjust our course abit, and he waved his hand towards high hills at west. We should avoid meeting those creatures. With all respect to your skills - those are not Broken Hounds.

Zinobia crounched back to he hill basement, and then moved swiftly towards big hills at west, calling party to follow him.
The party followed him .

The party climbed one big hill at west, and then another, and stopped, surprized by sudden view which they revealed when they climbed second, highter hill. At right side there were some kind of cannal reservoirs of turquoise, dense liquid. The surface around them, the floor was flat, encasing those cannals. It was some kind of even gray stone material.
Cannals were many, and had different width. There were pipes, here and there, blocking the path through flat gray stone material. Probably, in order to pass through that area with cannal reservoirs, one will need to jump.

At left side there was huge field of big, beautiful light blue flowers. There were many of them.

Going north-west will mean turning back to face Arvatrols.

Zinobia gone "Khmmmm" and raised his hand.

"Well, Visoquid cannals..... Seems we will need to jump abit. At least we have choice....." - he waved his hand in cannals direction.
"Jump over Visoquid cannals, Go through Seporia field or face Arvatrols." - and he spitted on the ground.

He gazed over the confused group and explained.

"Visoquid canals exist here and there in this region - they could be found in this area. You can walk on that surface without problem. But you will need to jump - and if you fall into one of those canals.... Well, this Visoquid freezes nervous system of exposed body part for some time. It chills. It is not pleasant sensation.

Then we have Seporia. It grows always near Visoquid. In huge amounts. It can not grow on that gray material, so it grows on exposed ground. It is not simple flower. It releases some kind of evaporation, which makes any living creature fall into deep slumber. And while the creature sleeps it feeds on its energy resources and siphons power from it. It is energovore plant. We could pass that field, but we need to have a lot of will to not fall asleep there.

Or, we have Arvatrols ...

What do you prefer, lads and lasses?"

ps. sorry for any grammar/typos, that was alot of text and i needed to hurry to my job. I will check the text and correct it abit later.
May 28, 2015 4:41 am
Mandoric is exhausted. He is used to travelling, but not to running uphill in the wilderness. Whilst Zinobia goes off to reconnoitre, Mandoric stands wheezing, hands on his knees.

Once he catches his breath he says "The way you describe it, the canals sound like the least deadly option," Turning to his travelling companions he says "and maybe the stronger can help the weaker across?"

The Armor comes from my esotery and so doesn't cost Might, I suppose.

Rolls

Action-length Speed recovery - (1d6+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

May 28, 2015 5:03 am
harlandski says:

The Armor comes from my esotery and so doesn't cost Might, I suppose.
Right! Allright. Sorry , i didnt remebered what that Esotery is, i just noticed the fact on Lucas - so i checked anyone

Btw you used Action recovery so i marked it on your CC
May 28, 2015 5:07 am
Zinobia answers to Mandoric's question:

"Well, i really do not know. It depends on what you can do better. Foir me - Cannals is better option, yes. But we can not split.
Passing Visoquid will require series of jumps i suppose, you can not just walk there.

Entering Seporia field will require strength of will from us, because we will need to combat slumber.

Arvatrols are most dangrous option, perhaps, but i am not sure as well. After that hound incindent...."
- he glanced towards Jax for a second.
May 28, 2015 5:32 am
Lucas also catches his breath. He didn't realize how tiring wearing hide was while running through the wastes. He catches Zinobia glancing a Jax and tries to catch his ear.

"I don't know about you but I'm damn glad we have such a capable warrior. Seems we may be better off trying to fight our way through to an easier path. I know I messed up back there but I assure you, I too can hold my own in a fight."

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

May 28, 2015 5:46 am
When the group stops, Ronna finds a place in shade and leans on her knees, trying to catch her breath. She is clearly winded by such a long spurt through rough terrain.

"So", she says, breathing heavily. "How many of these canals are there? How many times we would have to jump? Or would crossing the fields be a shorter distance? I can always use my skills to jump over or across, as long as there are not too many jumps to make."

After her breathing has evened a bit, Ronna stands and looks around at the group members, fanning her face with her hand. "Oh, if any of you feel like in need of bit of a healing or boost, just tell me. I'll see what I can do."
May 28, 2015 6:05 am
"That needs checking. It could be always done in many ways. From here at least I see more than 3 ways to pass but I may mistake. It vary from few jumps which will require a lot of prowess to series of many easy jumps.
It is rather simple - we need either fight, strength of will or good reflexes to advance"
- Zinobia replied
May 28, 2015 6:09 am
Mandoric looks across to Ronna. He does not like to admit weakness, and so far nothing on this journey compared to that which he bore at the hands of the million gods' priests. However, he also fears being left behind in a group of such physically fit people, especially if it comes to jumping. He begins, hoping Ronna will fill in the rest. "Young lady, I would not like to presume anything, but this old man is tired."

Angling for a bit of speed healing.

This might be enough to reach Ronna's soft heart, but the tougher party members think Mandoric is exaggerating his age. He is in his mid forties, though to live that long in Lhauric is quite an achievement especially after contact with the Challifani priests.
May 28, 2015 6:10 am
"Hmm", Ronna says, trying to peer towards the canals and asses the situation herself. "Well, if it does not take us too far apart from each other, I can always take the route with the fewest jumps."
May 28, 2015 6:14 am
"Those wont be easy jumps, especially for untrained ones, though, even with certain effort those could be really risky ones.." -said Zinobia.
"The good part that nothing enters into canal area, so we are safe while we are between those canals, at least if we are not attacked at range"
May 28, 2015 6:19 am
game is in free discussion mode now, action will start when party decision is taken

btw characters could try and expertise path through canals themselves

there no way to measure the complexity of passing through flowers field though
May 28, 2015 6:31 am
"Don't worry", Ronna says and smiles impishly to Zinobia. "I wouldn't consider myself untrained, as long as there is only a limited number of jumps to make."

Ronna climbs to a position that allows her to view the canals better and tries to evaluate what would be the shortest route for her through the canals.

OOC: Reminder - Ronna has the Far Step ability, so she can safely make any jump of Long distance. She is just interested of spending as little pool to it as possible, i.e. fewest possible jumps.

Rolls

Evaluate route through the canals (Intelligence) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 28, 2015 6:48 am
Mandoric sighs. Evidently Ronna is too engaged with her planning to have taken his hint. He turns to the others: Lady Nyom, Gentlemen, my vote is for going over the canals by the long route, taking the easier jumps. But if you decide to face the Avatrols I will not argue. I would rather brave those beasts than those ... flowers - they fill me with dread for some reason. Zinobia - can you see the easy way through the canals?"
Last edited May 28, 2015 6:50 am
May 28, 2015 9:14 am
After thoughtful analysis Ronna had some jump solution scheme in her head, he drawn some sketches on the sand, calculated things, checked how the maze surface between canals could be navigated. So far, it seems there 6 ways to pass the canal network.
http://i.imgur.com/sqXL666.jpg

Numbers are default Jump task complexity levels. Each jump modified by jumping skill or any skill that could really contribute. (that will need check per character), and each jump could be used with effort.

As for Far Step - because of how hard to predict where it precisely lands and because surface stripes are so thin betwen the canals there is certain risk of using Far step. It could bring Ronna right into the canal. She realizes that she wont be able to control and be so precise to few centimeters with landing point from the distance.
Ronna will be able to skip last jump with sure and safe Far Step though.
May 28, 2015 9:36 am
I'm not sure if I understand this diagram correctly. Do we start from the left, have to jump at every number and successfully reaching the end of any of the right-most places gets us through?

Also, based on your comment on the Far Step, I'm not sure I understand the geography of this place correctly. I pictured canals, separated by patches of land we have to walk across, but apparently the canals actually run very close to each other? How would jumping them then be in any way safer than using Far Step? Also: how wide are the canals?
May 28, 2015 9:40 am
Yes, we start from left, and advance by arrows.
there 6 ways to pass.
Your understanding is correct.

Canals have different width, and there alot of them, there is maze made of surface stripes. Some connected, some not.
the problem with Far Step that you can not precisely see where you jumping. If you jump you do see the safe patch and where your leg should land. With Far step you can not because of long distance.

the jump complexity may be based or on width of cannal (wide jump) or on width of surface stripe (by majority) - it is too thin and the jump need to be very precise .
Thin surface stripes are majority.

Please also read my last comment - i added it after - Ronna can use Far Step to skip last jump (since the end will have safe surface) - completely. So for Ronna most optimal way could be n1 - the top one on the scheme, so she can completely skip last diff 4 jump with her safe Far Step
May 28, 2015 9:49 am
I'm still confused about the layout of this area. If we cannot see where we would land, wouldn't it be crazy to jump the canals anyway, Far Step or not? There is 'walk' marked between some jumps. How are those areas different from jumping over the last canal?
May 28, 2015 9:57 am
Walking will mean you need to navigate through maze of thin stripes between canals at zig zag fashion. It is like maze, made of thin stripes of surface. There are blocks of surface (they are those mazes made of thin stripes/ pathways) you can not pass between them without jumping. Jump will mean that you need to cross certain width of canal and also that you need to land precisely on the thin surface stripe. The second creates complexity for Far step because while you can navigate you 1.2 m jump to land on 20 cm wide surface stripe, you can not be sure that you will land on those 20 cm initiating spell from 50 m distance.
Ronna could use it but it is risky
May 28, 2015 10:03 am
That makes sense. I just assumed that since all the jumps have a difficulty level, and one that's pretty doable for anyone with a skill and some Effort to spend, it would mean that the jumps would be 5-6 meters at most.
May 28, 2015 10:07 am
As i said majority of jumps could have complexity because of width of landing stripe.
Lets say that longer jump with wide landing surface would be same difficulty as shorter jump with very thin stripe for landing.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.