Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

load previous
May 28, 2015 2:55 pm
The light of the match quickly extinguished. All the party witness something very strange: the liquid literally climbs out from mug and moves slowly back, towards reservoir, chilling the scarce grass vegetation on it's way
May 28, 2015 2:59 pm
Ronna pulls her hand out of the liquid and flexes her fingers in front of her eyes. "They feel so-- fragile", she mutters, mostly to herself. Then she shudders and shakes her hand, trying to rid it of the numbness.

"I don't know about you guys, but I very much don't want to know what it feels to dip any other parts of myself there." She watches the bit of liquid make its way back to the reservoir. "Especially not after that."

"Anyone bring a boat with them? Or just long pieces of wood or metal that we could walk across?"
May 28, 2015 3:00 pm
There is nothing to tie the rope to. It is very even surface. And liquid, a lot of it. It is the maze of passable bridges , some of them really thin. Widest canal is is few meters wide, but there no square cannals. Most of them long, wery few are wide. All the mess looks like maze, it have kind of continents, and you will need to jump between them.
May 28, 2015 3:00 pm
BlackStork says:
The light of the match quickly extinguished. All the party witness something very strange: the liquid literally climbs out from mug and moves slowly back, towards reservoir, chilling the scarce grass vegetation on it's way
That is really cool! I'm loving Numenera already! :-)
BlackStork says:
There is nothing to tie the rope to.
I see that you have a rope, Mr Cloudscraper. At least we could tie ourselves together, perhaps in twos or threes. I am not really an athletic man, but it seems at worst we could pull our companions out more quickly than they could themselves. Or maybe we could protect ourselves a little from the liquid with some sort of fat or salve. Mandoric tries not to think about the disgusting smelly fatty sausages which he feeds to his seskii.
Last edited May 28, 2015 3:06 pm
May 28, 2015 3:03 pm
I am glad that my gming makes people love Numenera more , cheers :-)
May 28, 2015 3:10 pm
Mandoric takes a rock and throws it into the liquid, stepping back in case it bounces or does something else unexpected. Most importantly - does it sink or float?
Last edited May 28, 2015 3:11 pm
May 28, 2015 3:14 pm
The stone sinks slowly.

Maze.

Something like this but much bigger and more complex, where walls are surface stripes.
It have some parts of surface blocks disconnected so jumps required.
Ronna already calculated all possible ways to jump through this complex.
May 28, 2015 3:49 pm
"And what do our glaives think" - asked Zinobia, turning towards Nyom and Jax which watching all the debate quietly.

I know there was alot of stuff and discussion, simply the game is now in free discussion mode, till the party have collective decision.
May 28, 2015 3:53 pm
themightykobold says:

[color="green"]Said widest, meant narrowest.
4 ft. in some places, narrowest gap between complex "continents" is 5 ft.
May 28, 2015 4:56 pm
Ronna stucks her frozen hand to her armpit and shifts her attention from the liquid to the canal walls.

"Hey, everyone! Do you think there would be a way to make the walls move? This is clearly Numenera. There could be a mechanism somewhere."

((Yay for great rolls))
Last edited May 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Rolls

Examine the canal walls (does Nano Numenera skill apply?) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 28, 2015 5:43 pm
Mandoric attempts one more non-numenera experiment on the liquid: He opens his waterskin and pours a little water onto the liquid. "Does the water freeze", he wonders?

He also hears Ronna's suggestion, and begins to see if he can conceive of the canals as a numenera device, and find its control centre.

Rolls

Numenera (trained) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 28, 2015 6:34 pm
Ronna switched her attention and bowed to examine canal walls, but her body, "enchanced" by new "properties" betrayed her, she felt, and slided towards canal edge. She stopped herself in time, but the finger tips her hand descended below the level of canal walls surface, and touched the liquid again. She wanted to pull her hand quickly, but another wave of chill gone through her body.

Another 2 speed damage(updated it in CC), duration of +1 difficulty for speed task is simply extended (i did not added more 1 - didnt stacked it, yet)

Mandoric watches the water simply being slowly absorbed into the liquid. He was so consumed by the sight, that he actually pronounced what he recieved from his connection with Datasphere: "...Absorbs water... preserves water? Catalizator against extreme heat threat... perhaps designed to prevent overheat of the area, or the earth, or protection against some kind of weapon"

His gaze turned to to canal walls, but datasphere returned here clear "It is created to separate and contain the coolant. The separation in the reservoirs helps to V-nanites to develop semi-asphatic properties, and prevent entity's reloidness."
They were plain and even. Nothing was there.
May 28, 2015 7:25 pm
Jax isn't as skilled into identifying the many intrigues of the maze. After all, he felt this was a better job for the brains of the group rather than he meddle and possibly mess things up.

"This is a decision better left to those that know more about this than me. Ill make sure we get through it safe" says jax as he slams his shield into the ground and pulls out a ration to begin munching on it

May i suggest not getting too far ahead even if it's out of combat. 3-4 pages of posts is a lot to catch up on especially given most of these occured within like 8 hours
May 28, 2015 7:47 pm
Schauer says:
Jax isn't as skilled into identifying the many intrigues of the maze. After all, he felt this was a better job for the brains of the group rather than he meddle and possibly mess things up.

"This is a decision better left to those that know more about this than me. Ill make sure we get through it safe" says jax as he slams his shield into the ground and pulls out a ration to begin munching on it

May i suggest not getting too far ahead even if it's out of combat. 3-4 pages of posts is a lot to catch up on especially given most of these occured within like 8 hours
you are right, i just wanted not to freeze the game and to give some space for free discussion, but it went a bit awry with all the experiements. I know and I won't do free mode next time on such scale and will limit it, but please catch up with all the text, if you can, because you may find the solution for the puzzle the party tries to solve for 2 pages at least...
On this note i also close free mode, and we will need wait to Nyom post (or more complex Jax reaction, if he desires to do it) first in order to advance. All discussion could be done ooc by players who made turn in discussion thread, and then played IC during next action phase
May 28, 2015 8:15 pm
"On second thought" Jax says with a muffled voice because of the food in his mouth.

"Why not fight ourselves through the Avratrols. We have the might to get ourselves through them with ease. It may take some proper planning but fighting our way through them in a coordinated effort sounds a lot better to me than getting ourselves killed trying to skimp our way around the Avratrols. The easiest answer is right in our faces"

Jax doesnt like the idea of putting his life on the line trying to navigate himself through canals or fields of flowers. The Avratrols havent even been alerted of their presence. We could possibly surprise them and gain the advantage
Last edited May 28, 2015 8:15 pm
May 28, 2015 9:10 pm
"Yeah, maybe", Ronna says. "At this rate, I'm going to run out of darts before we even get there, but maybe. Because my next idea would be to push someone into one of those canals and use them as a boat. But since I cannot feel my fingers at all anymore, you probably shouldn't listen to me."

Sorry about the spam. Had a day off and I got so confused by this place that I ended up sending a lot of messages.
Last edited May 28, 2015 9:10 pm
May 28, 2015 9:14 pm
Gargoyle says:
"Yeah, maybe", Ronna says. "At this rate, I'm going to run out of darts before we even get there, but maybe. Because my next idea would be to push someone into one of those canals and use them as a boat. But since I cannot feel my fingers at all anymore, you probably shouldn't listen to me."

Sorry about the spam. Had a day off and I got so confused by this place that I ended up sending a lot of messages.
Its good.Its cool, i just understimated players activity and been verbose too.
I will limit free modes for 3 posts per round to allow some space for open conversation, but prevent it to growing into 3 pages per round :D (my apologies to Nyom and Jax, its my guilty :P )

I REMIND THAT I OFFERED XP (as per GM intrusion) TO ONE WHO SOLVES THE CANALS PUZZLE AND PROPOSE CORRECT WAY TO PASS IT IN SAFETY, or you always can go and smash some creatures :)
May 28, 2015 9:47 pm
Clarification question: Are the plants on the same side of the river banks as us? Or will we have to cross through them once we cross the canal. Cause I may have a solution.
May 28, 2015 9:51 pm
themightykobold says:
Clarification question: Are the plants on the same side of the river banks as us? Or will we have to cross through them once we cross the canal. Cause I may have a solution.
Please lets all OOC and clarifications keep in Diuscussion, ty mate :) this will just help to keep game thread bit more clean for players who were not present during creation of last 3 pages :D.
I will answer this one here - no,
the end of canal complex have just alot of that plain gray material, and it seems safe, from here, especially if it's true that nothing comes close to it, as Zinobia said before. There no plants. Plants grow on exposed ground, on edges of canal maze. Fields are wide and long, and you need to reach that gray square at end of canal system in order to pass them.
May 28, 2015 11:30 pm
Nyom only half listens to the others as they discuss ways to get across the canals. Her eyes are focused in on the Arvatrols which to her seem like a much easier barrier to deal with.

"I'd much rather deal with the nasties over there than to end up in whatever that liquid is", she says to no one in particular.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.