OOC Megathread

load previous
Dec 25, 2017 11:31 am
Happy Holidays!
Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm
Happy holidays all!
Jan 30, 2018 5:54 am
Quick note of warning, I'm traveling until Saturday so may not be able to post until Suday :)

Also, doe anyone here play Monster Hunter World (and is on PS4?!)
Jan 30, 2018 2:07 pm
I've considered buying it, but I'm just not sold.
Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm
I could try to convince you, but I'm very VERY into Monster Hunter games, so my viewpoint is very biased. But if you have questions about it that can help you firmly root your decision, ask away :)
Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm
I've really been looking at MHW but I don't know if I have the time to dedicate to another grindy game. I would be on Xbox though.
Jan 30, 2018 5:01 pm
I've only ever heard of the Monster Hunter series. But if it's grindy, then yeah I don't have the time, sadly.
Jan 30, 2018 5:40 pm
The game is playable in 20 min bites (a hunt typically lasts that long). While you will fight the same monster several times if you are trying to make it's gear, I wouldn't call it grinding because fights are always engaging and challenging, even when you know the monster well. And, if you do start to find a hunt feeling repeative, just grab a different weapon (there are 14), as each feels like it's own game. But, you have to enjoy technical combat. It's like taking an rpg and fighting only bosses.
Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Ok you've piqued my interest.
Mar 1, 2018 11:47 am
I know there's an "absences" sub-forum, but I don't check it and doubt everyone else does. I'm going on vacation March 4-11. I'll still have my phone to get emails and post, but I'm sure there will be a delay.
Mar 1, 2018 2:26 pm
Noted!
Mar 10, 2018 10:56 pm
This trip has been amazing yet torture. Almost no signal since we've been in mountains and desert most of the time until we find a city, a hotel, and crash until early morning and do it again.
If you're waiting for me, NPC me because I don't know when I'll have time to post until at least Monday evening.
Mar 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Have a great time!

Also, folks, question: I'm a big Monster Hunter fan (World is fantastic!) and some brave soul has made a Monster Hunter Monster Manual for D&D. I'm finding myself considering using it to start a new game with a MH vibe (it'll be survival focussed with an underlying ecological mystery, as the "story" of most MH games is). I have no interest in stopping Red Hand (we'll get it done! In fact, we're nearly officially further along than any other attempt I've ever had at running it!), but I do love playing with you lot so I'm mentioning this because I'd be more than happy to just have it be another game we're in together :)

Let me know what you think (traditionally, a hunting party is 4 -- in MH Lore 5 is bad luck ;) -- I believe I have 4 active players here, so that's perfect!).
Mar 30, 2018 4:05 pm
I won't say no to that. Do the same classes apply?
Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm
They can, I'm not 100% sure how we'll do characters yet. One nifty thing about monster hunter is that the game uses weapon "as" classes, and I would want to capture that in some way. I may just pull together unique weapon (and add some specialization options - so instead of stat increases at the appropriate levels you get the next "Weapon Skill" for the weapon), or use something like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZWo8ppyac54vlUaN4gjW5ZptaiiuiH0Sd33bRv10m7s/edit#

And let everyone choose between normal classes or the Hunter. If we go the first option, then I'd only "create" Weapon Sub-Classes for the weapons you all actually want to use...
Mar 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Or, searching the internet, I might find someone's already done it:

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1baaj92OM

I'd probably start from here (I'm not 100% in favor of all the rules here - like Sword & Shield's "Wide Range" is not great, but I'd tweak the Weapon Paths based on what ones our 4 hunters wanted to use).

To be clear: I don't know that I'd take this *class*, I'm thinking of taking the weapons out and making weapon specialization a "sub class". Then, characters would be any core class + weapon subclass.... Magic gets weird though. Doesn't quite fit.
Mar 30, 2018 4:33 pm
This sounds interesting.
Mar 30, 2018 4:42 pm
Cool. I created a game, made it private, and tossed up invites (will invite as interest is expressed) so the conversation about details can happen there :)
Mar 30, 2018 5:45 pm
I'm down. I can't play MHW because I lack the hardware, but I've seen a couple of streams and LPs from people I follow and it's gorgeous.
Mar 31, 2018 1:44 am
I'm still trying to decide if I'll get it for PC or PS4. I usually opt for console so that I don't have to worry about hardware.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.