Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Jun 21, 2018 4:57 pm
Zangua spits. "Pfeh. That don't make sense. It was plain as day you drew first after we was walking out," he says, gauging the prisoner. "All these witnesses can vouch."

Rolls

Insight! - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Jun 21, 2018 5:34 pm
"You're right. He should have stayed his hand. I wish he had." He looks up at Zangua. "Now what? Are you going to kill me too? In front of them?"

Nobody in front of the inn has made any move to approach you, but they are talking to each other, and one young man has run off in some haste in the direction of the bridge.

~meanwhile~

Domarc and Mordred can now see, in the distance, the crowd gathered in front of the inn, and what looks to be Felor and Zangua standing over two seated or prostrate bodies.
Jun 22, 2018 2:49 am
OOC:
Whew! Okay, I'm back! Finally got moved into my own apartment with decent wi-fi and got all caught up on everything I missed. Still wondering a bit about what the old man and the silent warrior were up too, but I think leaving was definitely the right call.
And holy crap! Nubs! Incredible! I don't know how you come up with all that.
Leth finds himself staring at the body of the dragonborn, focused more on the dialogue in his head than what he sees with his eyes.
Quote:
"Your arrow pierced the heart of my friend and brother. But I would choose peace with you over vengeance, as would my teacher."
As the words echo in his head, Leth finds himself thinking back over their conflicts with the cult.
We're not the aggresors here. We've always fought in defense of our own well-being. Haven't we? ...Although... Even if we have, does that excuse the bodies we've left behind? His thoughts begin to turn back towards the origin of their ordeals, suddenly unsure of himself or his convictions, questioning why he was even here on this journey. As he does so, he recalls the attack on the gravediggers while they buried Edvars, the murders told to them in secret at Beerpool, and the massacre at Five Stones. No, Leth could not allow himself to become disillusioned. They were not the bad guys here.
Quote:
"Your reputation... he feared you would draw on us as soon as you knew who we were...I told him to put his trust in me, let my words do all they could, but..."
Leth hears this distantly, but it draws him out of his thoughts, and he turns to face the man.
"Our reputation? What reputation have we earned?" He asks angrily. "All we ever set out to do was to clear our friend's name. Do you want to know how we got dragged in to this mess? We were ambushed. By your comrades. As we were burying our friend!" He says, taking a deliberate step towards the man with each sentence, seemingly oblivious to the crowd that was now watching them.
"And when we tried to get answers, naively asking some innocent bystanders in a tavern to find some information for us, your cult murdered them! Which was blamed on us, and got us chased out of the city! We can never go back to Sthombo now. Since then we've been running from one city to the next, defending ourselves from your attacks, just trying to find some goddamn answers in all this confusion. We didn't ask for this!" He shouts, jabbing a finger at the body of the dragonborn in a fit of uncharacteristic rage.
"You have attacked us, every time! And you have the audacity to speak of our reputation?! What about your reputation? What about the people of Five Stones, callously massacred by your metal monster like they were animals? What about Adan? How many murders was he responsible for before we finally put him down? Do you even know?"

Leth's voice is beginning to crack under the mix of emotions and the strain of his voice. He pauses for a moment though, as if suddenly realizing how loud he was being. He grits his teeth, closes his eyes, and takes a deep breath, before finally looking back at Rumio.

"No." He says, quieter. "No, we're not going to kill you. But you're worried that your teacher might, right? For your 'harmful misunderstandings'? What does that say about the people you have pledged yourself to?"

He looks at his companions, knowing he's probably overstepped his boundaries and drawn too much attention to them. "Sorry." He says, before asking one more question of Rumio. "If we went with you to your teacher now, would we be safe? Or would someone yet again try to attack us or abduct us if we don't like what he has to say? Or are we altogether beyond that option?"
OOC:
...hope that wasn't too much for my first post in over a month?
Last edited June 22, 2018 2:57 am
Jun 22, 2018 3:34 am
That was awesome. Glad you're back!
Jun 22, 2018 9:57 am
OOC:
Welcome back!
Felor watches Leth's angry diatribe. Felor is momentarily worried Leth intends to harm the man, but he relaxes as it becomes obvious it's just a release of pent-up emotion. As Leth finishes, Felor puts a hand on the man's shoulder. "Easy, Leth. This is perhaps the only agent of the Crown who refused to draw his blade against us. Give him that." He looks at Rubio. "Despite what he said."

Felor straightens and looks around. "Besides, we should be making a move. We've clearly attracted some attention and I don't want to have to deal with whatever passes for the law around here."
Last edited June 22, 2018 10:00 am
Jun 22, 2018 2:33 pm
"What fresh hell is this?" Domarc asks, looking ahead and quickening his pace.
Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm
Rumio faces Leth and does not flinch from his outburst, but shakes his head slightly when Leth recounts the murders attributed to the Six-Pronged Crown.

"I can't answer for all that you have witnessed and heard. It...it may not be too late for communion with my teacher to take place. No harm will come to you. Yaghrans was here for...my protection." He looks again at the corpse of the dragonborn.

Felor looks up at the sound of rapid footsteps. He can see Domarc and Mordred hastening down the road towards them.
Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm
"Right, 'cause walking away is real threatening," spits Zangua. "You ain't doing yourself no favors with them lies."
Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm
"I see you've enjoyed yourselves while we were gone. We need to get out of here before the authorities arrive. Who is our new friend?"

Assuming the group decides to head away from the inn before I chime in again, Mordred will cast Darkness, centered on someone near the center of the crowd, as a distraction as they leave.
Quote:
Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot radius Sphere for the Duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with Darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.
Jun 22, 2018 6:58 pm
"This fellow approached us and asked we come to meet his teacher. There was talk of peace, and misunderstandings. We were, of course, wary of this offer. Then his friend attacked us. To his credit, Rubio here did not draw his blade. It's possible his offer is genuine; he, at least, seems sincere. I agree we should leave, but do we take up the offer?"
Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm
Mordred looks Rubio up and down for a moment. "If he's not actively trying to kill us, his offer is better than what the local constabulary will offer. I say we go with him."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Jun 22, 2018 7:41 pm
A bit of a cry goes up from the onlookers as Mordred casts his spell of darkness. A few of them run away in apparent terror, others retreat back into the Randy Pike.
Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am
As they head north, Felor pushes Rubio ahead of him. "This ice you had - we've seen it on sale in Hazard. Why are you selling it? What purpose does it serve?"
Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm
Zangua watches the scattering crowd after the call to leave is made. He looks down at the body of the dragonborn, then shrugs. "Ain't the first time," he mutters to himself, and follows Felor.
Jun 25, 2018 5:47 pm
"Through the ice, the power of the Crown is conveyed to this Werld," Rumio says.

He leads you north, away from the roads, and up over a few low hills covered in damp brown grass. After about half a mile, you reach a large, half-hollowed treestump. There is a circle of stones inside it, piled with dry grass and twigs. You can see a farm some distance to the west, but you are out of sight of the inn and the roads you came from. Even the walls of Hazard itself are obscured by the low hills you came over.

"You'll need to free my hands and give me the pouch of ice and my tinderbox."
Jun 25, 2018 7:12 pm
"Don't get any clever ideas." Mordred cuts his bonds and pointedly does not put his dagger away.
Last edited June 25, 2018 7:12 pm
Jun 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Rumio crouches down and starts to build a fire in the tree stump. Once the fire is burning well, he takes a piece of ice out of the pouch and drops it into the flames. He steps back as steam begins hissing and billowing out of the fire.

Nothing happens right away. Rumio stands stock still and stares at the fire, his lips moving slightly. Still, nothing happens. He casts a furtive sideways glance.

"We...we may be too late. I told you, time was of the--"

He stops speaking abruptly, staring hard into the column of steam rising from the fire.

In the steam, you can see the barest outline of a human face, visible only in fleeting glimpses as the steam limns its contours. Rumio bows his head.

"Master Gorham, it is I, your student, Rumio va Leq. Kells' mercenaries are with me."

There is a long, silent pause, and then a faint voice whispers out of the steam: "Yaghrans is not."

"Yaghrans is dead."

The face in the steam flickers into clarity for a moment. It is grinning. "They killed him. And still you brought them before me."

Rumio swallows hard. "Yes, Master Gorham."

"Good man! Good man. Never divert from the objective. I think well of you, Rumio." The voice is clearer, louder now, though the face is still hard to see. "Are they all here, all five of them? Step aside, and let one of them stand before me."

Rumio shuffles to the side and gestures for one of you to take his place.
Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm
Domarc tosses his sack of ice aside. From Heirophant to Cult Leader, this has been a strange day for conversation, he thinks, and whispers to Zangua: "If you think they've gotten control of me, do whatever you have to do." Then he steps forward, with a large smile that doesn't reach the eyes and makes a leg, though his gaze never leaves the steam.

"What is it you want, Gorham?" he says.
Jun 26, 2018 4:43 pm
Zangua nods, and looks over to Mordred. "We're in a kill-zone here," he says quietly, glancing to the low hills that surround them. "Odds are they got eyes on us from all angles."
Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm
The face in the steam speaks:

"Ah, it's the handsome one. Martjan sends her regards. What I want, my friend, is to be the bearer of good news. You may take your rest at last. We have the Iron Sphere. There is no longer any need for you to creep about in the shadows pursuing half-understood clues and drawing your blades at the first sign of anyone who has come into contact with our philosophy. Edvers' failure of nerve set you all down a misbegotten path, but it is never too late for forgiveness and reconciliation."
load next

Thread locked