Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am
"Might be better to meet him... it... in the morning."
Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm
"Aye. Let's at least catch our breath in the inn. We can decide if we want to spend the night once we get a look at the place. We might even be able to learn a bit more about our host."
Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm
Zangua grunts his agreement. "They prob'ly know we're here, anyway. We might as well be rested before we try to gut ourselves some cultists."
Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm
Dinner service is in full swing at the inn when you step inside, with about two dozen people filling the tables of the common room. A harried server gestures for you to take a seat at an empty table as she swooshes by with a tray of ale balanced on one hand. Behind the bar, a red-beareded man with an eyepatch loudly regales his patrons with some action-packed story as he pours drinks. Somewhere in the corner, an infant is squalling. Pipe and lute music comes from a duo seated by a bay window to the right of the entrance.

A few people side-eye you as you enter, but the mood in the inn seems pleasant and welcoming.
Jul 18, 2018 5:35 pm
Zangua complies, briefly spending a moment to count the number of empty chairs to see if there's the possibility of surprise guests once again.
Jul 18, 2018 5:58 pm
Zangua takes a round table just big enough to seat the entire party.

The server returns a moment later to take your order. "Welcome to the Garnet Axe, travelers," she says in a flat voice, her gaze lingering on Mordred for an extra beat. "We've got venison stew on the fire tonight, and a bottomless pitcher of nettle wine for one silver."
Jul 18, 2018 6:05 pm
"Done, I'll take that," says Zangua, fishing out a silver piece. "And the stew."
Jul 19, 2018 4:26 am
Leth raises his finger. "And I'll do the same." He says, before beginning to eavesdrop on the story the bartender is telling.
Jul 19, 2018 10:19 am
"Aye, and for me. Tell me, miss, what deity is the holy house dedicated to?"
Jul 19, 2018 4:40 pm
"All the right gods of Bload," the server replies, "and then some. It's quite full of shrines. The Pater never says no to a new one."

Leth strains to listen to the story being told over the bar.

"...the power to change forms, and now he sees here a goat where a goat ought not to be. So what does he do? Well, he starts to walk away, paying no mind, as though a goat out of its pen is the last thing he can be bothered to worry about. But he lets his hand slip down to his belt, as though he's an itch to scratch, and oh-so-casually rests it on the handle of the axe..."
Jul 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Domarc orders the same, and asks "Do you have any rooms for the night?"
Jul 19, 2018 10:42 pm
The server quotes you a price of twelve silver for two rooms, enough to fit you all comfortably.
Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm
Domarc nods and pays for the rooms. "I think this is a safe enough space for us to prepare for the morrow, gentlemen. And a private place to talk would be good."

Domarc then focuses attention on the nettle wine, and the music.
Jul 20, 2018 4:30 pm
The music is passable, but the real entertainment here has to be the storytelling bartender, whose tale grows louder and more fanciful as the night goes on. He seems to be recounting the legend of some local trickster-hero who matched wits with a wily ogre mage, aided by a wolf companion and a magical, garnet-headed axe. As the inn seems to have been named after the garnet axe, you all wonder if the bartender tells this same story every night. It certainly seems well-practiced.

The nettle wine is a bit sour.

Would any of you like to do anything or talk to anyone here in the common room, or are you ready to get a good night's sleep?
Jul 23, 2018 9:39 am
I'm ready for a good sleep (and in the game)
Jul 23, 2018 5:14 pm
Yeah, I think sleep would be good
Jul 23, 2018 5:36 pm
"Rest is good," says Zangua. "I think we oughta keep watch, though. Don't like the idea of dropping our guard so close to the Crown-folk, and it wouldn't surprise me if they like to make night-time visits."
Jul 23, 2018 5:42 pm
"I agree, Zangua, but right now, I'm heading up to bed. Wake me when it is my turn for the watch."
Jul 23, 2018 8:52 pm
The rooms are spacious and clean, although the drunken debauchery in one of the neighboring rooms provides a noisy backdrop for some time. Once things quiet down, the night passes uneventfully.

Crowing roosters on the eaves just outside wake you in the morning. The Garnet Axe's breakfast crowd is sizeable, and you all welcome the smell of sizzling bacon and the welcoming hubbub of friendly chatter.
Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm
Gonna stay and eat/talk to the NPCs, or head right over to the holy house?
load next

Thread locked