Prologue: Initiation

Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm
"Well," the dwarf, Drek Hammerfist by name, says, looking from your applications to your faces and then back again, "Hmm," he muses, eyes flicking back and forth once more.

Seated on the other side of the desk from Drek, you have a moment to look around the small room you're in. This room, located on the lowest level of the Ebongarde's tower here in Teley is small and sparsely decorated, consisting of only a few chairs, a small desk, and a suit of armor, a shield, and an axe on stands in the corner. The only thing adorning the walls is a small window that lets in enough of the morning light for the dwarf to read your applications.

"I s'pose everythin' is in order," he says reluctantly as he reads it all over once more to be sure, stamping the papers before him and then looking up at you, "Now, yer not full members yet. Not even initia... init.... trainees yet, really! Ye just got a chance to prove yerselfs worthy o' the chance." he finishes, stumbling over the word "Initiates"

Now that the paperwork is done, he smiles widely and reaches under his desk to pull out four mugs and fills them with ale, "Drink up, get yer courage up, and then we'll talk about yer first job."
Apr 10, 2018 10:34 pm
Krogir-Vaam sits uncomfortably, long legs pressing up against his chest and his kidneys suffering from the constant jabbing of the chair back. It didn't help that this whole round of paperwork took way too long for the goliath's liking.

Glad to find that things are finally progressing, Krogir-Vaam reaches for the mug with his large hand, and drains the contents down his throat.
Apr 11, 2018 6:09 am
In contrast, Seraphina strains to stand tall on her chair, and almost manages to look like a seated human. She eyes her mug with a skeptical scorn.

"Courage!" she scoffs, sending her fiery curls bouncing around her ears. Courage was the last thing they needed right now. A level head, a healthy respect for danger, and a realistic world view were much higher on her list of useful attributes.

She curtly pushes the mug back to the dwarf. "Won't be needing that, thank you very much!" Ale was for celebrating, and they hadn't done anything worth celebrating yet. Better to keep her head clear and reflexes sharp.

"Please continue with what our job entails, Drek of the Hammerfist Clan."
Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am
Go talk to the Ebongarde folks Feldty. I'm going off to a summit and they dont allow apprentices. Maybe Drek can find a use for you while I'm gone, lest you blow up my tower. Those were Horatio's words a tenday ago. Thus Englefeldt found himself the middle stick between the halfling and the goliath in the Ebongarde office.
[ +- ] Dwarvish
He offers in dwarvish lifting the cup in salute to Drek.

I confess myself as interested as - ah - sorry, I missed your name? he says to Seraphina. I'm Englefeldt Hartman, scholar and apprentice to Horatio Bluebottle. Since I seem to have forgotten my own introductions.
Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm
She examines Englefeldt with a suspicious eye. Finding no immediate concerns, a thinking that a wizard's apprentice might a useful person to have around, she replies: "Seraphina." She gestures to the goliath: "Krogir-Vaam."

"Wizard's apprentice, great. You know some spells yet?"
Last edited April 11, 2018 4:54 pm
Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Aye! A few small ones. I can keep outfits free of muck and yuck, make food taste better, create temporary sigils on surfaces. Things like that. Also learned one super useful one to keep me safe when I go gathering things for Master Bluebottle. he says, happy that someone is interested in his magical "prowess". As way of example, he mutters his words a few times, first cooling Seraphina's shirt, then warming it, before letting the effect fade away. Finally, he turns his hand up and summons the image of a running horse on his palm.

The warming and cooling is a fun trick. Useful when you just can't fall asleep properly and need to get your pillow cool or your soup needs rewarming after sitting out for too long. I can usually keep three different things either cooled or warmed at one time, though it's a bit of a challenge. he says happily as the horse fades away.
Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Krogir-Vaam ignores the apprentice's gestures, and seemingly the man himself, reaching over and across the Englefeldt's personal space for Seraphina's mug.

Emptying the mug of ale, the goliath burps.
Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm
Drek looks shocked as Seraphina refuses the drink. After the shock passes, he reaches over to grab the mug only to find that Krogir-Vaam has already finished it off. He looks irritated for a moment before he breaks into laughter, "Bwahahaha! I like you, Kro!"

After he finishes laughing, he pours himself and 'Kro' another drink before speaking, "Well, since yer so new, we'll make it a simple one, eh?" he begins, stopping a couple of times to drink and flipping through a couple of sheets of parchment and pulling one out, "Here we are! Old Mister Woodward - ye know, the one who's farm's furthest from town? - He came in an' said that he's been hearin' noises at night time. Now he says he seen someone sneakin' 'round his property and wants someone to check it out."

He gives you a minute to absorb the information, "Ye think yer up for it or ye wanna quit now?"
Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm
"Sneak round Mister Woodward's town, got it," says Krogir-Vaam.
Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Anyone in particular we should report the sneaking persons to? Or can we let - um - Krogir-Vaam here whallop on them? Englefeldt says, scrunching his face while trying to remember the name.
Apr 11, 2018 6:53 pm
"Report Mister Woodward for sneaking, got it," says Krogir-Vaam. "Or whallop."
Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm
Drek shrugs, "Bring 'em in here alive if ye can," he says, "Can't question 'em if they're dead! If you wanna rough 'em up a bit, go ahead. If they're found guilty o' somethin', they'll probably have to pay... or be sent to the Pits."
[ +- ] The Pits
Apr 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Dramasailor says:
Aye! A few small ones. I can keep outfits free of muck and yuck, make food taste better ...
Seraphina bit her lower lip, struggling to come up with a way to make use of Englefeldt's abilities. They weren't useless; you could be quite the launderer or chef with powers like that. Maybe a good cabin boy on a ship.

"Hmm. Got anything a little more .... violent? Oh, can you turn invisible maybe?"
Last edited April 11, 2018 9:47 pm
Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm
CancerMan says:
"Report Mister Woodward for sneaking, got it," says Krogir-Vaam. "Or whallop."
Seraphina stands on her tippy-toes and gives Krogir-Vaam a reassuring pat on his shoulders. She quests for his mind and speaks to him telepathically.
[ +- ] Telepathy
She gives him a smile. Then, she turns back to Hammerfist.

"So we bring back this ragamuffin to the tower, and we're in? Full members?"
Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm
Huh. That wasn't what Krogir-Vaam heard at all. Still, Seraphina's the smart one, and she understands the small-person talk much better than he can.
Apr 12, 2018 1:22 am
A twisted little smile crosses Englefeldt's face. The one I have that keeps me safe is a bit more - ah - violent you could say. Perhaps the frosty grip of my arcana may snag this sneaking person at the farm. he says, excited by the prospect.
Apr 12, 2018 6:18 am
"Frosty Grip? Now that's more like it."

Seraphina imagines a giant icy hand reaching out and grabbing a hapless victim who squeals for help as it hoists them in the air. She nods in approval.

She turns to Krogir-Vaam. Gesturing to Engleldt, she mentally projects:

"This guy can whallop pretty good, but with magic. He knows the Frosty Grip spell"
OOC:
I think I'll go with italics rather than spoiler tags for the Ghostwise Halfling telepathy.
Last edited April 12, 2018 6:19 am
Apr 12, 2018 6:39 am
Krogir-Vaam grunts, seemingly in agreement.
Apr 13, 2018 2:24 am
Well then, it would seem that we're all in agreement in some fashion. Should we depart now - ah - friends? he says, looking at the small bag with his meager belongings at his feet.
Apr 13, 2018 4:40 am
"Right we shall, friend!"

She hops down from the chair, turns to Englefeldt and projects into his mind:

"If you ever think of selling us out, remember I can kill you with my mind."

She winks at him mischievously and heads out the door in the direction of the Woodward farm.

"So I figure we talk to Mister Woodward first, get the story straight from the source."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.