Leaving Boltic: Chapter 2

Aug 15, 2015 12:39 am
Those staying at the wayhouse are woken as the sun rises by a knocking on the door. A barmaid waits outside with a covered tray. On the tray is fruit, oatmeal, eggs, and sausage. Tucked under the plate is a slip of paper. On it is a request to meet with Bane in front of the wayhouse within the hour. Bane is waiting with appropriate mounts and four burdened pack mules. He waits until all Galena, Graddy, and Bek all come outside before speaking, "So glad you could make it, I don't want to say this all more than once so if you'll follow me I will give you the information that you need to complete your task. Your fourth member wouldn't come into town, and I'm sure you'll figure out why."

Bane waits for the three to mount before striding swiftly towards the hills where Urthask has made his camp.
Aug 15, 2015 1:24 am
Is Bek happy to see a riding dog?
Aug 15, 2015 5:47 pm
Urthask rose long before dawn to check his rabbit snare and light a cook-fire. He gutted and skinned his catch expertly and set it higher than usual above the fire. He saddled Arktos and they backtracked half an hour up yesterday's path to the little spring they'd found. They drank their fill and Urthask refilled their waterskins before heading back to their camp. They arrived just in time for Urthask's rabbit. Arktos had eaten a deer haunch only yesterday. He'd be alright today. The half-orc finished his breakfast and broke camp just as dawn broke. He donned his armor and lounged beside Arktos, lance raised proudly, pennant flying, to wait for Bane and his new companions.
Aug 17, 2015 1:09 pm
Graddy's eyes moved to slits as he woke with the creak of wood beams from outside his room, it was morning it seemed as he slipped out of bed knife still in hand. As things went quiet outside the door cracked open and he surveyed the scene. Empty hall plus breakfast. Grabbing the breakfast he sniffed it a few times after he closed the door. Getting dressed for the day while eating took little time. Graddy found the slip of paper and pocketed it before going down stairs finishing on the fruit as he went, with his meager possessions on his back he moved out in front of the inn and waited for the others. After sucking and picking his teeth he figure it was a decent meal to start an adventure with.
Aug 18, 2015 1:17 am
Bek is very happy to see a riding dog
Aug 19, 2015 5:44 am
Bek rises well before the sun. He puts his arrow back into it's place in the quiver. He lights up a small fire in the hearth of his room and sets his iron near it. He fills his wash basin and takes off his shirt, rinsing it in the water to remove any crushed blood. Once the iron is hot enough, he flattens his clothes and makes certain they look crisp. As hi shirt dries, he takes his armor and some saddlesoap and cares for the leather, using a well kept rag to wipe off the excess. He tests the joints for their soft quiet purr and oils any that creek. He dresses, then slides the armor on, and finishes by reaffixing the candle to his shoulder, should he need to find his way through the dark, literally and figuratively. He stows his gear and is putting on his pack when there is a knock at the door. He eats of the breakfast provided thoughtfull and reflects on this bane while gazing at the gem he was given as payment. Before long, he puts it away and with a final thoughtful gesture, he makes sure his eyepatch sits cunning and heads down the stairs and sees that the group has gotten one human larger.

As Bek makes his way to the mounts, he finally sees something that makes him remember a happier time. Not only has Bane gotten a riding dog but he got a Kriegshetzer, one of the war dogs of the halfling tribes he once hailed from. A mostly black dog with well-defined mahogany or rust-colored markings, the Kriegshetzers were as friendly to masters as they were fierce to their enemies. As Bek neared the dog, he held out a downturned hand, offering it to the dog to sniff at. After a quick sniff and an even quicker lick, Bek approached the dog and ran his hand under his muzzle, petting him. He leaned in real close and whispered, "I shall name you Tyburn regardless of what any other has called you." Almost as in agreement, the big dog turns his head and licks Bek in the face, leaving a big trail of salive accross the halfling's face.

Bek hides a smile behind his stern gaze. He can't let the heathens see him as weak. He simply pets the beast and then mounts up, pull his reins to the side to see the others mount. He ears perk up when he hears Bane say there is even another and one that is strange enough to warrant a private entrance in the cover of the forest. Bek would keep his ears and eyes peeled for funny business. It wasn't that he mistrusted his patron, more that he was always paranoid so that it may help warn him early of the dangers around the corners.
Aug 20, 2015 3:14 pm
Galena rises and greets the serving girl with a warm smile. She opens the door and points to the small table beside the bed. She asks for hot water to be brought up next. The girl leaves and Galena reaches into her satchel. She places a dark gray bundle of cloth on the floor and unties it. The inside of the cloth is covered in white painted symbols and holds a small wooden box and a blue wax candle. She then gets another bundle of things out of her bag. This one holds a small bar of soap and a cloth. When the serving girl returns with the kettle of hot water, Galena has her pour it into the basin. Galena begins to wash herself.

When she is done with that, Galena packs the soap away and does some stretches. Finally she sits down in front of the cloth and candle. She lights the candle and opens the small box. Saying a few words in an strange alien language, Galena takes a pinch of the fine gray powder inside the box and sprinkles it around the candle. As it reaches the height of the flame it lights up and floats, forming a ring six inches above the floor. Rising, Galena stands with her feet should width apart and extends her hand out. As it enters the area above the magically glowing ring and the candle a blue scaled clawed hand grasps her wrist suddenly. It pulls on her, and she responds by pulling her own arm back. As she does the blue scales seem to flip off of the clawed hand and move on to Galena. The scales move faster and faster, growing in size and changing their appearance. The wrap her body and become armor and spikes and claws, a blue a green second skin. The whole process taking ten minutes.

When it is completed the candle snuffs out. The dust flashes and burns up leaving no trace of its presence but a faint hint of brine in the room. Galena carefully packs away her belongings and turns to the tray of food. She eats the fruit and eggs first. then savors the taste of the sausages then drinks down the oatmeal quickly. She arrives in front of the inn to meet Bane and the others just before the end of the allotted hour.

"Good morning all. Did we all sleep well?"
Aug 20, 2015 8:10 pm
"I figure so since we're all here in one piece." Graddy commented before listening to the instructions. Being the last of the trio present Graddy nodded to the employer. "Lead the way boss." he stated getting into position and taking stock of what they had. This probably would take a bit it seemed by the amount of beasts in the traveling group.
Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am
[[sorry for the late update, been crazy busy]]

Bane sets out for Urthask's camp without another word once everyone arrives. As they arrive Urthask is just finishing his breakfast. This is your final companion for your journey to Graystone. He has an interest in some of his clansmen who entered the ruins. This is a map to the entrance of the citadel which is the peak of a tower that is on the surface. Here he pulls out a worn scroll and hands it to Galena. The item that I desire is a crown that rests in the citadel's treasury. For reason's I don't feel like disclosing I can't retrieve the item myself. Anything else you find within is yours to keep. You'll have to work your way through the citadel fighting whatever creatures have made their way in and bypassing any damage that has happened. These are blue prints of the citadel, you don't need to know how I have them. These he passes to Bek. Nothing to big should have made it into the Ruins and the Hallways should be large enough for your bear to accompany you Urthask. Any other questions?
Aug 29, 2015 4:23 am
Urthask fished a small packet out of his belt pouch. He unfolded the packet, revealing a mixture of dried herbs and powders which might have been mistaken for chewing tobacco had it not been an angry shade of red, and smelled far more potent. This was gutka, a strong stimulant traditionally used by his tribe. The warrior took a pinch of this and rubbed it into his gums before putting the packet away. His pointed teeth, it could be seen, were stained permanently red by the concoction, making it perpetually seem as if he had blood in his mouth. The effect was doubly stark seen, as it was now, against the backdrop of the enormous ghost bear's snowy white flank. Urthask flashed those teeth now in what must have been a smile. "Well met! I am Urthask, son of Galazur! I am glad the gods have brought us together this day."

Getting down to business, Urthask scans Bane's map before it gets passed to Bek. Nodding, the young Rider claps on his helm and mounts up.
Last edited September 3, 2015 5:52 am
Sep 2, 2015 11:57 pm
The map details the surrounding area and roads that lead to Graystone as well as off of the map. Where the Darkwood stands there is a city marked indicating that the map is a copy of a much older one. There are also differences in the coastline to the south. The blue prints are fairly well drawn, they look like copies of a builder's plan.
Sep 3, 2015 5:59 am
Urthask has already pointed Arktos' nose in the direction indicated, and is moving at a good but unhurried pace. Inwardly both rider and bear wish they could rush headlong to their lost clansmen, but Urthask understands the need to work well with the others and is trying his best. Still, not being good with social interactions, he doesn't know what to say when he glances back at them from the front of the group. He stifles back what was almost a command to pick up the pace. He whips his attention back forward. It seems his cheerful morning greeting and his best smile were the limit of his social graces.
Sep 3, 2015 2:04 pm
Graddy nodded through the final details of the mission. Map of the area, blue prints, another person on the team. "None really from me, I figa' we make fo da best vantage point o' the area closer to citadel and figure out more from there, better to get going and figure out what's in the area before we make a plan of how we're getting in and through or around and ova' yeah?" Graddy would state tapping an area on the map that looked like it might be a vantage point.

After the group is ready to go with the new member eager to get going seemed to always be a bit ahead of the rest of the group plus the pack animals. Graddy would leave the man to his own devices, he would either scout ahead and see any dangers or run into any issues before the rest of them if trouble came up abruptly.
Sep 8, 2015 8:44 pm
Bane points the group in the right direction, "As I've alluded I can not enter the city and from here you will go without me. If I find another person willing to make this journey I will have them meet you along the way."
Sep 10, 2015 12:02 am
"You have said that thrice now. Without falling into your bad graces, would it behoove you to make us party to why you are unable? Lest it come around to bite us when we least need it to."
Last edited September 10, 2015 12:02 am

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Sep 10, 2015 12:35 am
Bane waves a hand in a vague manner, "Don't upset powerful people, they can make it very hard to achieve your goals... Advice that I was never given but would have benefited from." You sense a grim and rueful smile beneath the hood.
Sep 10, 2015 12:58 am
"Thanks for the advice. And the gem. We will be off then to hopefully find more and perhaps this crown for you." Bek squeezes his heels together to get the dog trotting. He keeps to the back left of the polar bear as it sets the pace.
Sep 10, 2015 8:48 pm
Current Party: As you set off in the direction indicated Bane gestures to Galena and mutters a few words to her, "...... Something else .... need .. you .......... important ......" You don't hear most of it but she nods grimly and rides off in a different direction with a slight wave. As you ride you begin to get to know one another and settle into the routine of making camp each night, the journey is fairly uneventful as you ride through miles upon miles of farmland to the west of Boltic.

Garrett Hammerfell: You are days late to the meeting spot near Boltic having encountered a small group of Highway men. Having little of value they took you captive hoping for a ransom instead of taking all of your belongings. After a few days you manage to escape in the night and stumble back towards where you hope the road is. You also managed to retrieve all of your gear before escaping.

Everyone: A man in heavy armor stumbles into camp on your third night of making camp together, he is bruised and has dirt and twigs covering him.
Sep 10, 2015 9:21 pm
Bek runs and jumps into any brush that is close to the camp.

Rolls

Stealth while moving - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Sep 10, 2015 9:28 pm
Garrett stumbles into the camp of a group of adventures. He sighs audibly with relief, "Thank Iomedae," he whispers, then continues to the people in the camp, "At last! The road! Thought I would never find it," he looks behind him as if he had forgotten something, "Might want to keep an eye out, I recently escaped a group of highwaymen, they may still be out there."

He stops suddenly, "I'm sorry, where are my manners?" he stands up straight, meeting everyone's eyes, "My name is Garrett Hammerfell, Paladin of Iomedae," he will then wait for everyone to introduce themselves.

Rolls

Perception to notice Bek moving - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.