Leaving Boltic: Chapter 2

load previous
Sep 10, 2015 9:55 pm
Garrett fails to notice that Bek has ducked into the shrubs.
Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am
"Well that's a fair bit o' advise Hammerfall... but hands in de open if you please." Graddy stated by the campfire hand instinctively going to his sword hilt. "Anyone can stumble out o' bushes wit a cautionary tale mate, if there are bandits 'bout it could very well be part of distraction to have a mate in armor come crashing into the open and bumble about. Besides if they're out there you coming out would give them idea of where everyone is and such." Graddy stated the obvious, if they were going to get attack no use in use nice words was his initial thought he'd just shot the unexpecting people in a camp from the shadows and be done with the whole lot. But to each their own he figured.

(OoC: Rolling Sense Motive to see if Garrett is on the level. & Perception to see what all is going on about the area.)

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Preception - (1d20+11)

(1) + 11 = 12

Sep 11, 2015 12:42 pm
During this exchange Urthask remained, oddly enough, calmly sitting, chewing a pinch of gutka. The young rider had been watching the disheveled knight's approach from many yards away. Urthask's huge flail lay across his lap but his hands were folded lazily behind his head as he sat leaning against Arktos' flank. The ghost bear had rumbled a warning as soon as he had caught Garret's scent, and Urthask's eyes, adapted to piercing the darkness, had picked out the man approaching them while he was still yards away. The half-orc warrior continued to feign an outward calm, but was in truth prepared to spring into action. He studied the newcomer with a piercing gaze, reading his stance, marking his weapons and armor, looking past him into the darkness to see if there are others.
Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm
Garrett will raise his hands up to show that he is unarmed, "I can understand your caution, but I am not here to cause you any harm. I was simply on my way to Boltic to meet up for a possible job when I was ambushed and taken captive. By the time I escaped a few days ago, I was late getting to Boltic and the deadline had passed, he will explain calmly, "I am truly not looking for a fight here and I didn't mean to interrupt your camp. I can leave now if you'd like."

He will explain all of this calmly with his hands in the air, trying to appear as non-threatening as he can.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Urthask rises slowly, rising to his formidable height. "Well met, Garrett Hammerfell, Paladin of Iomedae. I am Urthask, son of Galazur. Please, be welcome. Have some food, warm yourself by the fire." The half-orc smiles sincerely. He sees no reason to doubt the man, but just to be sure... he gestures welcomingly to a spot near him, within easy reach of his flail or Arktos' jaws.
Sep 11, 2015 3:13 pm
Garrett returns Urthask's smile, "I appreciate your kindness, Urthask, Son of Galazur. It has been a few days since I've had good food and a warm fire, and even longer since I've had good companionship," he will sit where Urthask indicated and help himself to some food, "If I may be so bold as to ask, what are you doing out here?" he will ask, curiosity in his voice.
Sep 11, 2015 4:53 pm
"I am in search of my clansmen." Urthask gestures across the campfire towards Graddy. "I have befriended this gentleman on the road. His business is his own. And yourself, sir? You spoke of some misadventures."
Last edited September 11, 2015 5:05 pm
Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm
"My order's temple was destroyed several years ago, and I have been mostly alone since. Not long ago I received a job offer promising great wealth, perhaps enough to rebuild my order. I was to meet my employer days ago in Boltic, but I was accosted and kidnapped by highwaymen before I could get there," he will begin his story, taking short breaks to eat his meal, "By the time I escaped a couple nights ago it was too late to make my rendezvous. I have been trying to make my way back to a town to recover my wits, and that's when I stumbled upon your camp, much to my good fortune."
Sep 11, 2015 6:34 pm
(OoC: I'm going to assume my sense motive passes as well as being able to tell if people are chasing Garrett with frayed ropes and a gag all angry like.)

Graddy snorted to himself mostly after realization.

Huh... Ol' dodg'a went 'n banged every tree in de forest lookin' fo people ta 'unt down dis crown o' 'is. Graddy thought to himself a slight snare curling his lip.

"Well you seem on the up and up I guess, and it seems we may know who was going to employ you. Urthask seems to trust you at least testing that would put you in between a few rough blokes and a bear it seems. You seem able enough and we have a bit of provisions, down one and up one and all that I guess." Graddy said with a shrug, "As long as no one out and about objects." Graddy said aloud to no one in particular.

With de bird gun maybe Mister Grumpy spit 'n ya eye will be in a less foul mood Graddy thought to himself. If Bek made himself known or not was up to him. Everyone made choices... for Graddy maybe he had another human shield for when things got dicey... considering Bane's cryptic nature and the possibly play they would eventually come down to being in a dicey situation eventually.

"Name's Graddy." Graddy stated not really moving still in the same position as if coiled before his jaw set into place.
Last edited September 11, 2015 6:35 pm
Sep 11, 2015 8:40 pm
Graddy: Garrett is on the level, Bek is in the shrubs for whatever reason but you see no signs of pursuit
Sep 15, 2015 1:18 pm
Graddy motions towards the larger man and his bear and the offer of food for the paladin to recharge a bit. Things were going easy enough for now. Just a few guys in the woods doing outdoorsy things on their way to retrieve an crown for a mysterious shady boss. Graddy would lean back hands still close to his weapon, might as well get in the relaxing now before things got hairy... they always did in this line of work. Graddy didn't know much of the larger man Urthask but he seemed civil enough to chat and give of his things freely... It made Graddy feel like a bit of a tool... realization that he was one though had he think of other things. Thoughts of the map and the idea there were people in the area spun into his mind. He'd busy himself with thoughts of places of would be ambushers in the future. If the smaller one didn't show up in the next bit he'd move about so he could make a hiding spot for the wee one. Either Garrett fell into the same lot at the lady he was giving stink eyes to or maybe they had history. Whatever his reasons it wasn't Graddy's business to get involved or question the smaller bloke's actions. As long as they did the job and he got paid the angry small man could be off punching rabbits and squirrels in the face for fun for all he cared.

Once a bit of time went by Graddy would ask about Garrett's captures, their numbers and a description and such.

(OoC: I take it a bit of RPing until we're ready to go in the morning, or ambush?)
Sep 15, 2015 2:45 pm
Garrett goes into as much detail as he can for Graddy, being as forthcoming as possible about what he knows. While this is going on he keeps an eye on the outside of the camp, making sure that the bandits haven't followed him.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 15, 2015 5:41 pm
There were three of the bandits in the camp at any given time, though there were another dozen or so that came and went. Mostly human men but there was a woman who seemed to be in charge of things. She had a strange look about her, she seemed to be to pale for her life style. There was a pair of halflings twins that seemed to share the position of second in charge and often fooled the others as to which was which. Garrett is fairly sure that he has evaded capture and that the highwaymen have lost his trail as he followed a couple of streams to confuse tracks.

[[And yes a wee bit of RP before I move on]]
Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm
Graddy nodded to the explanation from the man on his situation. Ransom was out if Garrett came from a temple that wasn't well known and overladen with heavy coffers. That lead him think of trafficking people either selling as slaves or something else, cannon fodder in illegal fights came to mind or food for some horrific beasts. Graddy would try and remember any thing along the way for talk if highway bandits or kidnappers and word of any bounties of the people he had a bit more of a description of. For the most part he kept quiet. Making everyone nervous of a possible fight 3 to 1 or more didn't sit well. Graddy would check the map to see if the Paladin could piecemeal together enough of his escape to figure out where he came from, they'd be searching in the area around if it was not that dangerous. Best case scenario they'd expect him to stumble around and die someplace in the woods and look for the carrion birds to find them. Graddy didn't make a point of being a wishful thinker though.

(OoC: Try and get the map out and figure out with Garrette where he came from, that might reveal if they'll just be on guard for their trip or high alert due to possible good situations to pull an ambush. Also trying to remember if the pale woman and twins were in any local news we heard on the way to Boltic... like there's a bounty on their heads.)
Sep 16, 2015 8:31 pm
Graddy: The map you have been given by Bane doesn't show that there are any trees in the area despite the forest beside you. The road that you have been traveling runs East to West and Garrett came from the North. You noticed that there were wanted posters in the wayhouse but didn't pay them mind except to notice that you weren't on any of them.
Sep 16, 2015 8:48 pm
Urthask has been sitting quietly listening to the two men talk. Abruptly he interrupts to ask a question of Garrett, "What do you intend to do now? Do you continue to Boltic in the morning?"

Rolls

Keeping my eyes peeled... - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Sep 16, 2015 9:19 pm
Garrett will shrug, honestly unsure of his course, "I already missed my contact, and I was told not to be late, so I'm sure my chance is gone now. I suppose I'll just have to look for another opportunity. Where are you two headed?"
Sep 16, 2015 9:22 pm
Urthask glances at Graddy. The contract did stipulate secrecy, and Urthask had sworn a solemn oath.
Sep 17, 2015 4:20 am
Bek has been sitting in the shadows assessing this newcomer. He tries to tell whether he lies or not. Once it seems he's been honest about his dealings, Bek keeps his eyes open and his bow drawn waiting on any extra guests.
Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm
Thoughts of keeping heads if they find bandits along the way come to mind. I would probably be a day or two before any would be tracker found them unless the paladin's captors had someone good, they'd be off in the morning anyway.

If it's in self defense they end up with a knife in their stomach it's not our fault, brining a bag o heads though might be a bit much... might be money in it though. Better them than me. Graddy mused his thumb running across his chin as Urthask asked about Garrett's plans, it seems Garrett had a similar situation to his own, a bit late to the party and nary a coin to spare for it.

"You know 'ow it is mate, two blokes in the wood enjoying not being shot at or stabbed for a spell before they go do a bit of work..." Graddy half joked half jumped around the subject when asked about what they were doing in the forest roads. "I guess we have an opportunity of sorts if you don't need to have a lot of questions answered we don't need to provide answers. Pay should be good if we do a fair share o work so to speak, don't know yet morally if it's in the white, black, or grey. Nothing horrific from what we know is on the list of to does but you never know. Since we're a bit tied up in the telling of details if you do a bit 'o good deeds oddly enough in the immediate area we're in by say helping us out so to speak shouldn't we be giving a tithing for the 'enlightment' of someone from yo religion for being a shining example of your scriptures in motion?" Graddy juggled around the subject, the guy might get it but he might not. Urthask would know Graddy was telling the man things without really telling him any details of what they were doing. Graddy figured it was a bit of a loophole to sub contractor someone out to do work for free, giving a tithing to a religion though wouldn't be uncalled for, Bane would probably be less disgruntled though if they got results. More warm bodies helped that along in Graddy's thoughts.
Last edited September 17, 2015 1:53 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.