Chapter 1 - The Beginning

load previous
Sep 1, 2015 2:33 am
Aelar and Crolwell launch towards the water first. Aelar floats from the ledge in a graceful dive befitting a champion swimmer. Crolwell follows quickly, and less gracefully behind with his goblin in tow, it is still snoozing away as they crash into the water and it has a very rude awakening. As he awakes, clutched tightly underneath Crolwell's arm he struggles both to be free, and for oxygen.

[ GM: The goblin is going to try and break free from Crolwell now. ]

Ütés starts bolting shortly after the others, not entirely sure what all just transpired she makes a less than graceful, flailing crash into the water below, she at least hit the water, and not the rocky edge of the lake. The other two goblins continue to snooze as the fuse of the bomb spits sparks and grows ever shorter.

Rolls

Strength vs Crolwell's Strength To Break Free - (1d20-1)

(11) - 1 = 10

Sep 1, 2015 2:43 am
I run to the edge, stare down for a moment, then make the jump. I manage an inhuman squeak (in fact, one might say it's more of an elven squeak) as I'm falling towards the water.
Last edited September 1, 2015 2:45 am

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Sep 1, 2015 2:51 am
Xadira, without even the intention of trying, manages the perfect entry into the water. She feels as though she must look like an uncoordinated bird trying to fly for the first time, when in reality the casual observer would see a near perfectly executed double flip with a full twist. There is absolutely no splash as her form is impeccable. If only she knew how she did any of that.

Unfortunately her grace is unnoticed by any of the others as they have only moments before touched into the water themselves. As you are all under the surface of the water you feel a strong reverberation shake through the water and stone around you. That and a bright flash from above inform you that the bomb certainly wasn't a dud. Large chunks of slate stone and dagger-like stalactites spear into the water all around you. You do your best to try and get out of the way of the falling objects.

[ GM: Everyone make a dexterity saving throw to avoid being hit by falling debris. Crolwell can either make the saving throw at disadvantage because he is holding the thrashing goblin, or let the thing go and make a regular save. ]
Sep 1, 2015 2:59 am
I flail around like a fish on land in my attempt to avoid the falling debris.

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sep 1, 2015 3:03 am
Xadira:
As you flail you avoid some of the larger debris, but a rogue stalactite grazes across your arm.

Rolls

Stalactite Damage - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Sep 1, 2015 3:03 am
Entering the water with all of the grace of a drunken giraffe, Ütés just starts to get her bearings when she feels the effects of the explosion. As she looks up from underneath the surface of the water she sees debris falling from the top of the cavern towards her.

"This is the worse day ever."
Last edited September 1, 2015 3:05 am

Rolls

Dexterity Saving Throw - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Sep 1, 2015 3:06 am
Ütés:
Your drunken giraffe technique keeps you from getting hit by a particularly large stone, that spears past you through the water, by about six inches.
Sep 1, 2015 3:11 am
Aelar frantically tries to avoid the falling debris.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Sep 1, 2015 3:14 am
Crolwell is confused. There is little doubt about that. As he sinks deeper into the water he thinks about what just happened. He awakes next to a group of bloodstained individuals. They then proceeded to be attacked by goblins and now they are running? What has just happened? After the boom he tries to swivel around, hugging the goblin tight.
Last edited September 1, 2015 3:48 am

Rolls

Avoiding Avalanche (Disadvantage) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (16) + 3 = 19

1d20+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Sep 1, 2015 3:35 am
"Oww! That stings quite a bit!" I rub my arm where that particularly sharp rock hit me. When no other rocks follow, I take a moment to try to clean my robe while I'm still bobbing in the water.
Sep 1, 2015 3:38 am
Aelar and Crolwell do their best to avoid the large debris, but a rock clips Aelor and another gives Crolwell and his goblin companion a good solid smack.

The elf twists to avoid the falling rocks as well. He slips around them almost effortlessly as they shoot past him through the water.

With that there is a sudden quiet tranquility. At the surface of the water you can see that the rock shelf you were previously on simply doesn't exist anymore. You would probably assume the same of the goblins that were sleeping on it. There is no sign of a tunnel anymore, you would guess the shock collapsed it in on itself.

The elf bobs at the surface of the water, "That should buy us time to make our escape." He turns and starts swimming across the small lake to the exit on the other side.

Rolls

Damage to Aelar - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Damage to Crolwell - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Damage to Goblin - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Save for Elf - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Sep 1, 2015 4:01 am
Aelar will check his wound quickly. Deciding that it's nothing to be concerned about he will make sure his companions are alright. Seeing that they're all fine he will follow after the elf.
Sep 1, 2015 4:22 am
Crolwell will stick the soaked goblin in his pack and then throw his pack over his shoulders. Now that his Fluba is safe on his belt, he is not worried at all, and slops off to join the elf and this strange group of blood stained individuals... whoever they are and wherever they came from.
If we have a little time Crolwell will walk next to the High Elf, and look between her and the other party members, trying to place their names, but really can't. He licks his gums and is generally in a bad mood since he didn't get to hit anything earlier.
Last edited September 1, 2015 4:27 am
Sep 1, 2015 4:35 am
I follow the elf whose name I have yet to know. Once I'm able to climb out of the water, I wring out the robe and whip out my quarterstaff to use as a walking stick. When Crolwell makes eye contact with me, I notice he seems to be in a terrible mood. I take this moment to try to enlighten him with all the stories I've read about goblins. Most of it is accurate, even! Well, at least some of it is. You know, I've done so much reading, it's hard to keep all the facts straight sometimes!

Rolls

History - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Sep 1, 2015 5:13 am
After listening, enthralled with Xadira's stories, he obviously does not care if any of it is accurate. His mood is easily lightened. He gives a big toothless smiles as he beams at all of the fascinating history. Then (perhaps even in the middle of such a story) something will click in his head. Crolwell will stomp up besides Aelar and give him a Barbarian slap in the head.
"Hey, kid, what happened earlier? Who said you could call me Crolly? It is Mister Crolwell to you!"
With that he gives a wild cackle and waddles back to hear more... 'histories' (if Xadira decides to stop, then Crolwell will be disappointed but his mood will still take a turn for the better).

Rolls

Barbarian Slap - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Sep 1, 2015 11:48 am
The group finds themselves on the other side of the cave after the swim and emerges from the cave into bright sunlight. Xadira is trying her best to improve Crolwell's mood by regaling him with fascinating tales from the past. After giving Aelar a thump on the head, which in retrospect may have been a bit too hard, he is contented to listen and walk with the group.

Most of the blood that had soaked your clothes is now gone. The elf finally slows his pace, this is the first time he hasn't been trying to rush you onward. "We should head towards Neverwinter. My onclave is there. We will have a place to stay and shall be warmly recieved, I'm sure of it", he offers, "There is one issue however, it is through those woods." with that he gestures to the woods that are outside the cave. Though the morning light still shines brightly overhead there is curious little of it within the woods.

"We could also skirt town to go back to the road to the east, though it would be a longer trip, and we don't have much for supplies it would seem", he looks the party over in their current state of dishevelment.
Sep 1, 2015 12:25 pm
"Who are you, and why are we headed that way? What happened back at the tavern? What aren't you telling us??" My curiosity gets the best of me. I cross my arms, hugging my quarterstaff to me in the process.
Last edited September 1, 2015 12:25 pm
Sep 1, 2015 12:56 pm
Aelar will glare at Crolwell for a moment and rub the back of his head. "We appreciate your help so far, but I have to agree with Xadira here. I'm not going anywhere until we get a little bit of an explanation."
Sep 1, 2015 1:40 pm
Crolwell will throw his hands in the air.
"Tavern? What are you 'ere kids talkin' about? What Tavern? Why were you fellers covered in blood? What were we running from up dere?"
Sep 1, 2015 2:00 pm
The elf looks around briefly. "This is not the safest area, but I will tell you of what I know quickly", he says reluctantly. "My name is Taft Lightfoot. I am a brother of The Daggers. That may not mean much to you, our organization has remained a secret for decades. I, and a few others, narrowly escaped the rampage back in the tavern", he gestures at the hole torn in his black robe, "I saw a hooded figure give you these small vials, you drank of the liquid inside, only moments later you all drew your weapons and...", he trails off, seeming to become lost in thought. The look on his face says enough.

After a few moments he snaps back to the present. He turns towards Ütés, "Your prince was another who escaped, along with that troupe", he gestures toward Aelar, "Unfortunately they are not free, the man who gave you that liquid also captured them as they fled. My enclave in Neverwinter can offer us assistance in trying to find where they may have taken them. The Daggers are more widespread than you can possibly understand."

Seeing the confusion of Crolwell the elf walks up to him, places a hand on his forehead, and starts to chant an incantation. As he blesses the old man sudden clarity shoots through his mind. He remembers everything since waking up in the tavern with extreme clarity. No detail goes forgotten. "This should help you understand, grandfather, if only for a while. My magic is only so powerful, it can not overcome the effects of time", the elf says, a caring look upon his face.
load next

Thread locked