Création de Personnages/Character Creation

load previous
Aug 3, 2019 10:14 am
Hm, well I don't think he was 'saved' from the shipwreck per se, but she could have helped him in some other way, like you said, and they became friends.

The 'two' debts involved are:
-"Someone is keeping a mortal friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe them a Debt"
-"You have been watching someone's lineage closely, keeping them safe from harm. They owe you two Debts.".
So that's three debts total. Two for keeping an eye on Suzhen's lineage in general and one for specifically keeping Chretien safe from the Ordo Draconis (which I will interpret as Toby changing one of his current schemes to Stewardship which, if successful, will eventually make Chretien safe for good).

I’m okay with Toby being the one that sent the photo but I don’t think he would have been involved in Chretien’s initial disappearance. He probably recognised Chretien in passing after he moved into Montreal and, realising that he's most certainly in danger from the Ordo Draconis, felt obligated to protect him.

Speaking of schemes, I’ll sort out the interruptions now...
Aug 3, 2019 11:37 am
That sounds perfect, let's go with that. We can specify further what keeping an eye of Suzhen's lineage in general has entailed so far. Maybe if we find two aspects of it, that'll tally with the two Debts. So that you can cash them separately when the need arises.

Here's another potential hook since we're still working out debts. The Dragon archetype is a reincarnating one. Suzhen discovered her origin from a set of ancient scrolls she possesses. These are some sort of almanac. In at least one of them, she is specifically named and her past life(s) described. That how she awoke this era. The scrolls are incomplete. She is actively seeking the missing ones. She is also analysing them to find the other broodmates of this era (MC's discretion). The Ordo Draconis also have incomplete copies of these, which they use to hunt the dragons.

Debt summary so far:

Suzhen's Debts
Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You owe them a Debt.
Someone stole something from you and lost it to the Ordo Draconis. They owe you two Debts.
(Toby) Someone is keeping a mortal friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe them a Debt.

(Toby's Debt) You have been watching someone's lineage closely, keeping them safe from harm. They owe you two Debts.
(Victoria's Debt) You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret, they owe you a debt. [to be confirmed]
(Edouard's Debt)
Last edited August 4, 2019 2:21 am
Aug 3, 2019 11:57 am
oopsylon sent a note to kalajel
Last edited August 3, 2019 12:02 pm
Aug 3, 2019 4:13 pm
The Debts looks to be going well. Do not forget to note them on your character sheet. I've also made a Debts tracking thread here to make it easier to track everyone's Debts.

I've also added a thread for Suhzen and Toby in the Friends, Allies, and Contacts section.
Aug 5, 2019 4:18 am
I'm trying to figure out how Suzhen and Edouard could have some link together. Edouard is quite young in the supernatural scene and has no connection outside of Montreal. He would love the lost love angle, but he would have needed to cross path with her somewhere.

What are the places Suzhen serach for info or the steps she took in Montreal to find her love? Edouard is mostly hanging around the nightlife and support groups, but he does start to build a reputation of problem solver for people with no recourse.
Aug 5, 2019 6:22 am
I’d be totally down to having your "Someone stole something from you and lost it to the Ordo Draconis. They owe you two Debts." Victoria is trying to gain information right, and some almanacs about dragons is a lot of info right, that’s a cool way to imply why you don’t have the complete set and offers you an opportunity to complete your set.

Edit: (having double checked the thread) I’d be up for Victoria having harboured you from the Ordo when you moved in, maybe she had made a a safe house for you or fitted you out with a. Harm that helps mask your presence.
Last edited August 5, 2019 6:28 am
Aug 5, 2019 9:08 am
That's a nice way to make the debts work in both directions between Victoria and Suzhen. Ok, let's call these scrolls The Fivefold Path of the Dragon. (Because the Dragon archetype mentions 5 dragons born in any given era). They are a priceless museum artifact. Suzhen originally owned 3 of the scrolls, which she curates for exhibitions, one of which is on loan to the Montreal museum. In Victoria's studies in the occult she 'borrowed' the scroll to study, and the Ordo Draconis took the opportunity to steal it from her. By stealing it, the Ordo Draconis now knows about Suzhen. As a result, when Suzhen arrives in Montreal, Victoria helps Suzhen keep her dragon identity a secret.
This way, Victoria owes Suzhen for the loss of the scroll, and Suzhen owes Victoria for keeping her identity a secret.

Thus far:

Suzhen's Debts
Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You owe them a Debt.
(Victoria) Someone stole something from you and lost it to the Ordo Draconis. Victoria owes you two Debts.
(Toby) Someone is keeping a mortal friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe Toby a Debt.

(Toby's Debt) You have been watching someone's lineage closely, keeping them safe from harm. Suzhen owes you two Debts.
(Victoria's Debt) You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. Suzhen owes you a Debt.
(Edouard's Debt)
Aug 5, 2019 9:16 am
As for Edouard, Suzhen has spent a month in Montreal from Shanghai. Is there something Edouard might need from the Far East, like a weapon, or special blood that will make him better in some way? The Dragon archetype collects artifacts (dragons hoard things!) so Suzhen is likely to know where certain objects can be found or can be acquired. (I suppose this applies to Victoria too, more books for her wizardly learning).

Apart from looking for Chretien, Suzhen might be looking for his current wife or partner (maybe she is a rival!), whose face is scratched out from the photo. Perhaps information on the woman can only be found in the nightlife, or through the Night Faction, and Edouard can help with this.

Also, does Edouard have Vamp debts Suzhen could have some connection with?
Aug 5, 2019 3:51 pm
Vamp debts goes as follow :

Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.
(Tobias) Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt.
(Victoria) Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They
owe you a Debt.

Edouard did search recently for a weapon, he reached to Victoria who offered to provide it through her sanctum. In general, at this moment, he is looking to increase his battle power to deal with reckless gangs and monster infestation.

Edouard is no detective but he is incredibly persuasive (Irresistible: When you persuade an NPC using promises or seduction,
treat a 7-9 as a 10+ result. On a miss, your machinations succeed as
though you rolled a 7-9, but attract the attention of a rival or enemy.) If he heard of your search, he would have offered his assistance, Suzhen could have send him in a direction that ended up being a trap (like access to the original photo from LaRonde employees that were under watch from the Ordo Draconis). Did could maybe lead to the last of Suzhen debt, Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You owe them a Debt. ?
Aug 6, 2019 3:20 pm
Ok, that could work. Perhaps when Suzhen first arrived in Montreal, she first started her search in the streets, amongst the Night faction. She meets Edouard, and asks him to help investigate LaRonde. He gets into trouble with the Ordo Draconis, and now thinks Suzhen betrayed him. So Suzhen owes him a debt.

In return, I was wondering whether, when the new storm starts, and Suzhen and Edouard meet again, (and they finally have a chance to talk things out), she will attempt to honor the debt by finding him a new source to feed him regularly. This can start a new Vamp Debt for you.
Aug 6, 2019 4:25 pm
Indeed, we can even do both before starting without removing the tension if : Edouard escaped the trap but since neither he or Suzhen knows if he's identified or compromised by the Ordo Draconis, then Suzhen would have avoided direct contact but started sending people looking to get rid of intense emotions Edouard's way.

Ence debts both ways and Edouard not knowing what to think of Suzhen until they will meet in the story to clear the air.
Aug 7, 2019 2:15 am
Sounds good, I'm up for it.
Aug 10, 2019 5:39 pm
Edouard just got his first advance, do I call my choice in story thread or I just write it on my character sheat?

I want to choose the Revenant archetype move Vigilante, seems appropriates with trying to deal with gangs of wolves bikers and fae monsters around town :)
Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm
Either way is fine with me, so long as I know what you took. Go ahead and mark it on your character sheet and clear your Faction boxes.
Aug 12, 2019 1:12 pm
I was just thinking further about Suzhen's debt to Edouard. I've posted it as a potential misunderstanding. But is there a need to make it so that it's an actual betrayal? I'm assumed it's up to Vagrant and myself to determine how serious or minor it is.
Aug 12, 2019 5:26 pm
Exactly. Now, why would you want to betray someone as likable as Édouard? :P
Aug 16, 2019 4:03 pm
The Dragon addendum suggests working out a custom move with the MC for the ancient tome gear. May I run a suggestion by you? The concept behind the suggestions is that the scrolls provide some sort of insight when consulted, and the insight can be used later. I've listed 5 effects because there are five scrolls. If fewer scrolls are in possession, perhaps some of the options are not available. Please consider, modify or reject outright! :)

The Fivefold Path of the Dragon (5 scrolls)
When you consult this ancient tome, roll+Spirit. On a 10+, hold 4. On a 7-9, hold 3. On a 6-, hold 2 in addition to any
complication the MC wishes to add. You may spend 1 hold to gain one of the following effects:
- Take +1 forward to your next Faction move (or Hit the Streets or Investigate a Place of Power especially)
- Take +1 forward to your next Figure Someone Out
- Take +1 forward to your next Dragon Move
- When you next unleash, roll with Spirit instead of Blood
- When you next unleash, add +1 harm

You may only use 1 hold per action. You may only consult the tome once per day.
Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm
BedzoneII says:
The Dragon addendum suggests working out a custom move with the MC for the ancient tome gear. May I run a suggestion by you? The concept behind the suggestions is that the scrolls provide some sort of insight when consulted, and the insight can be used later. I've listed 5 effects because there are five scrolls. If fewer scrolls are in possession, perhaps some of the options are not available. Please consider, modify or reject outright! :)

The Fivefold Path of the Dragon (5 scrolls)
When you consult this ancient tome, roll+Spirit. On a 10+, hold 4. On a 7-9, hold 3. On a 6-, hold 2 in addition to any
complication the MC wishes to add. You may spend 1 hold to gain one of the following effects:
- Take +1 forward to your next Faction move (or Hit the Streets or Investigate a Place of Power especially)
- Take +1 forward to your next Figure Someone Out
- Take +1 forward to your next Dragon Move
- When you next unleash, roll with Spirit instead of Blood
- When you next unleash, add +1 harm

You may only use 1 hold per action. You may only consult the tome once per day.
That looks like an interesting base. I'm at work currently, so I cannot check my rulebook, but once I get home, I'll take a look at how balanced this move is and what changes, if any, I'll make.
Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am
Alright, here's something I came up with that I feel is balanced.

The Fivefold Path of the Dragon
The Fivefold Path of the Dragon is a series of five scrolls written in an ancient language that only dragons can read without any magical aid. They contain insights and wisdom pertaining to the Chinese five elements and draconic nature, though, some scrolls are missing… When Consulting The Fivefold Path of the Dragon, roll with Mind. On a 10+, Hold 3, on a 7-9, Hold 2 and Mark Corruption. On a 6- hold one and mark Corruption, your mind will also have been strained by reading ancient draconic language, you cannot consult the scrolls again until you sleep. You can spend your Hold 1 for 1 to perform one of the following.
- When you are tying to Figure Someone Out, you get an additional question as if you were in their Faction. If you are in their Faction, you gain two additional questions instead.
- When Inflicting Terrible Harm on an opponent, you can also frighten, intimidate, or impress them as if you had Let it Out.
The Scrolls: As previously mentioned, there are five scrolls, but you begin play with only one of them. The other four have been stolen, lost, or otherwise misplaced. Your MC will tell you when you will find another scroll. Mark one. When you find other scrolls, you can mark them as well as you find them. Add the following to the list you can spend your Holds on for each scroll you have found. Each two scrolls found above the first also allows you to Hold one more when you roll a hit. ([/] in your possession, [ ] still lost)
[ ] Path of the Claw (Metal): The writings contained within this scroll pertains to righteousness, ambition, determination, progress, and persistance. Choose a Faction, you gain +1 forward on your next Hit the Streets or Unleash an Attack against that Faction.
[ ] Path of Flight (Wood): The writings contained within this scroll pertains to benevolence, creativity, luxuriance, blooming, and flourishing. Choose a Faction, you gain +1 forward on your next Lend a Hand or Get in the Way or Mislead, Distract, or Trick against that Faction.
[ ] Path of the Heart (Fire): The writings contained within this scroll pertains to propriety, enthusiasm, and passion. Choose a Faction, you gain +1 forward on your next Keep Your Cool or Persuade an NPC against that Faction.
[ ] Path of the Mind (Water): The writings contained within this scroll pertains to wisdom, aptitude, brightness, agile mind, and mental strength. Choose a Faction, you gain +1 forward on your next Figure Someone Out or Investigate a Place of Power against that Faction.
[ ] Path of the Scale (Earth): The writings contained within this scroll pertains to fidelity and honesty, nurturing, stability, and security. Choose a Faction, you gain +1 forward on your next Escape a Situation or Put a Face to a Name against that Faction.

Here is my reasoning behind my revised version of the scrolls.
First, I felt that Mind was a better stat to use than Spirit as it would fit more the whole concept of reading and understanding ancient wisdom more than your force of will and connection to the supernatural would.
Second, I felt that simply granting a +1 harm and allowing to unleash with Spirit was a bit powerful. I know that -2 Blood sucks, but that means that in combat, you'll have more of a support role to the other players. Also, considering that advances, corruption advances, or simply getting a weapon later on should help with your fighting abilities, I decided instead that if you inflicted terrible harm on someone, you could have the option of coercing them in stopping fighting right then and there, which might come useful in quickly putting an end to a fight.
Thirdly, I noticed you chose All Things Laid Bare as a move. I felt that the extra question will have a nice synergy with that move.
Fourthly, the way I designed the scroll would give you an incentive to go out there and find the misplaced on since your move would only get stronger the more scrolls you would have in your possession, thus giving me more opportunity to progress whatever story or plot I need to. Also, that fact that you need to choose a Faction for some of the options will hopefully mean that you will hold on to your holds (pun not intended) for as long as possible before consulting your scrolls again. Finally, as a continuation to that last idea, the risk of Corruption will probably mean that you will not always be consulting the scrolls and might reserve this move for when you are expecting trouble or are planning something.
Aug 17, 2019 12:54 am
Aw chucks...

Flattery will get you everywhere... :P
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.