Welcome/game help/general chat

Jul 5, 2015 6:43 pm
Hi, you can introduce yourself here if you are new to D&D or GP, want to ask questions about the game, or just want to say hi.
Jul 5, 2015 11:32 pm
Hi Guys,
I am a long time D&D player, still new to play by post, I haven't done much on GP yet, but really looking forward to giving it a go. So far I am loving 5e and I am keen to see how ToEE shapes up in 5e
Jul 6, 2015 4:07 am
Will we be using spell slots or spell points variant (dmg)?
Jul 6, 2015 6:45 am
Hello, I'm also a long time (A)D&D player, I've GMed Phandelver face-to-face and am playing four other games on GP, including a 5e game. I've been on GP for 6 weeks, which is my first experience of PbP. While not being a hardcore OSR person, I do enjoy older versions of D&D, and the idea of playing an old school module with 5e rules makes me very happy.
Jul 6, 2015 10:51 am
Spell slots. The only optional rule I use is flanking (as well as the other generally accepted ones like feats). And hi to everyone. I'm a new gamer and I certainly welcome old-school players. There's a lot to learn from those old modules as a DM and they are more fun to read especially if you have an evil streak. I'm liking PbP so far
Jul 7, 2015 11:42 am
Hi. I've been into D&D since the Red Box. Stuck with BECMI until 5e. Have done PbP on some other sites, but am new to GP. Never played or ran this module before.
Jul 7, 2015 11:49 am
Eh, how did you miss ToEE? It's cool to have a bunch of retro gamers onboard. Anyone played this before? I have no idea how it's going to go. Looks heavy after the early stages
Jul 7, 2015 11:51 am
Since I stuck with BECMI until recently, I avoided much of the AD&D line from back then. Mostly campaigned in Mystara. Adding those classics to my collection now, but haven't managed to get that one yet.
Jul 7, 2015 11:53 am
Are we supposed to get emails when there are posts, or do we have to just remember to check the forums? I had trouble registering even. Never got my activation email. So that's why I'm asking.

Edit: Nevermind. Emails just started coming in.
Last edited July 7, 2015 11:57 am
Jul 7, 2015 11:58 am
Subscribe to thread or forum and you will get emails. I turned mine off as I'm in 4 games. I had the same activation problem. Let Keleth know and he will sort it
Jul 7, 2015 2:29 pm
Hail and well met fellow adventurers. Also an old gamer. Started at the tale end of 2nd ed, but really got into 3rd ed. and on. I have never played through ToEE.
Jul 7, 2015 2:45 pm
I'm a young gamer, 27, got my start with 1e when I was in high school (never did any modules), transitioned to Pathfinder after about 7 years, and last year moved on to 5e. Very happy with it so far.
Jul 8, 2015 3:08 am
Yeah, I have played in ToEE before. Once back in the late 80's with the AD&D group I played with in High School and once in the Mid 90's as a 2nd Ed (2.5 really) game. I have some vague memories of stuff in the module, but nothing specific. I know I had fun both times I played in it. Looking forward to giving it a go in 5e

I had mostly played D&D until 4e came out. I switched to Pathfinder then but also played a bunch of other different games (Savage worlds, World of Darkness, Firefly, Star War, L5R among others). Recently converted back to D&D with 5e, I am loving the new game
Last edited July 8, 2015 3:09 am
Jul 9, 2015 2:10 am
When is the game actually gonna start? And what are the rules of play?
Jul 9, 2015 2:55 pm
Hi, we're just waiting for mrvain to upload his character. I started the game in the main thread earlier, so post as you wish. The beginning is free-form so you can post with your preferred frequency and splitting the party is also a viable option. The people in the village are going about their daily lives and so you can freely look around the village. As soon as I have the remaining 4 avatar's we'll have visuals of the map.

I've run my other game like this: for combat, I will roll initiative for everyone and set the turn order. (of course, if you initiate combat and/or I haven't posted initiative, feel free to roll your own. Players can post their next turn early or wait for their turn to post, and I will execute actions in the initiative order whenever the poster is ready. You can make attack rolls as you see fit, for example editing your post to add in damage rolls or expanding on your actions in your turn etc.

By all means make skill rolls if you think they are relevant.

The game is posted once/day on average. If you're missing for a few days you can leave instructions etc. but otherwise you'll be missing out!

Let me know if there's anything I've missed out or if you have any thoughts
Jul 10, 2015 5:43 am
All sounds cool. It's Friday arvo my time. I will post the character and avatar tonight. Is it OK if I just grab a random image of google
Jul 10, 2015 11:13 am
Yeah I'm not expecting fresh draws, just something to identify you
Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm
Are we using this thread for rules questions?

It seems that my paladin's Divine Sense might be quite useful in the Hommlet part of this campaign, as I am able to:
Quote:
know the location of any celestial, fiend or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover.
I'd like to know how to best imagine this feature working. Do I just focus my attention, and then sense, or does it require a more obvious ritual or so on, which would make it something I should be careful about using in public?

If I get to choose, I would like it to be a sort of communion with the forest spirits, which requires a few seconds of concentration, and maybe has some barely perceptible signs of functioning (like my eyes turning leaf-green for a second), but without overt gesticulations etc, so I could for example use it in the Inn without attracting too much attention.
Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm
It requires an action, so you'd assume it takes a short bout of obvious concentration, which could be done discreetly, or you can flavour it. It doesn't provide a lot of information or have a powerful effect really. Will think about how to implement it to fit the ancients thing
Jul 12, 2015 6:06 pm
Ok, thanks. Yes, it's not as useful as good old "Detect Evil", eh? Still not sure what I think about D&D 5e getting rid of alignment from spells etc, but let's see how it plays out.

One other thing - for some reason your embedded pictures aren't displaying in your posts in my browser. I can get them by pasting the link into another tab, but if other people are having the same problem, perhaps we should tell Keleth?

Edit: Oh, and the screenshots are awesome! What tool are you using?
Last edited July 12, 2015 6:08 pm
Jul 14, 2015 8:17 am
Thanks! I'm using 3Dvirtual tabletop on Android. Screeshot, upload to postimage.org. original maps. Yes, it is odd that you can't read alignments, but perhaps it's gamebreaking in some campaigns.

What browser are you using??

Also, we have a new player as someone left. Say hi!
Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm
Hey Burnttoazt, welcome to the game!
Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm
Biscuitfiend says:

What browser are you using??
I'm using Chromium in Kubuntu (GNU/Linux), so I expect and tolerate random weirdness! It's cool that you can do that stuff on Android - I've got to check that out for the other games I play.
Last edited July 14, 2015 3:39 pm
Jul 14, 2015 11:50 pm
I can't see the images either, tried Chrome, Firefox and Opera
Jul 15, 2015 5:48 am
I see only one of you cares about me... im glad i can see where my true allies will be
Last edited July 15, 2015 5:49 am
Jul 15, 2015 7:22 am
Ha, that's weird, perhaps there are regional restrictions. I think I'll look into it or use another image posting site
Jul 15, 2015 12:52 pm
Welcome to the game burnttoazt!

Better? ;)
Jul 16, 2015 12:33 am
I do not understand why humans always insist on trying to help after the damage is done.
Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am
I think we have a newly scarred player - watch out!
Jul 17, 2015 11:51 pm
My characters name is Darf the dwarf and none of you know me other than Sanora. I am joining this journey in an effort to help an old friend and help rid the world of evil. I was not part of the original crew and i am only in the adventure on Sanora's behalf.
Jul 19, 2015 12:30 pm
Burnttoazt, don't forget to 'post as' your character (you can edit it in after). It means we can see your character image and I can check your traits/stats etc. easily when I post
Jul 22, 2015 1:13 am
Hey guys. I have had a bit on the last week ( kids start new schools etc. ) so i have fallen behind a bit. I will read through the main thread and post tonight. Sorry for the downtime
Jul 22, 2015 10:55 am
It's not critical when not in combat anyway :)
Jul 28, 2015 3:50 pm
This is a test post, it keeps kicking me back to gamersplane.com home page when I try to post on my phone, which is usually how I play

Edit: Hmm, seems to be working on the PC
Last edited July 28, 2015 3:51 pm
Jul 28, 2015 3:53 pm
I contacted GP about it, they know now. I just fixed it - clear the cache in your browser, restart the PC, log in and out - one of those fixed the issue. Apparently it's fixed on the site now as it may have been a new bug.
Jul 28, 2015 3:56 pm
Second test post, on phone this time

*cross fingers*

Edit: It works, good stuff
Last edited July 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Jul 31, 2015 5:46 am
I will be camping with my family this weekend, so I may not be very active, I just wanted to apologize in advance. I will get on if I have the opportunity.
Jul 31, 2015 6:05 pm
I'm going on holiday/vacation for three weeks in an area with patchy Internet access. I will do my best to post daily, but if you don't hear from me for longer than usual, you know why.

In case I go completely off the radar, Anrin's "standing orders are"
* Use his social skills to make people warm to him and the party, or at least divert aggression
* Stand up for the common people against their oppressors
* Fight if necessary, using nonlethal damage against non-evil foes, but killing evil foes outright
Jul 31, 2015 8:25 pm
Thanks to both of you. Don't feel you have to post as we can resume full speed when you return (or leave it up to the other 3). Enjoy your holidays
Aug 6, 2015 3:47 pm
OK, sorry for my delay in posting. I broke my phone last week (my primary way to get on the site) and was at Gen-Con. It was fun but it wore me out. Now however I hope to be back on track. I have a new phone so regular posting can resume. Just imagine Sanora was in the back of the group making slightly stuck up but not to offensive comments while the group talked to the locals. She was disappointed at not meeting the dragon slayers, but that can wait, there are bandits to thwomp.
Aug 13, 2015 3:54 pm
Did someone leave the game? Seems like it's come to a screeching halt
Aug 13, 2015 4:51 pm
All the games I've been playing in have slowed significantly since gencon. There have been some site bugs too. I'm trying to keep posting even if it means skipping turns
Aug 13, 2015 4:59 pm
I sure hope it picks back up, I'm really excited for this game and I'd hate to see it fall apart.
Aug 13, 2015 5:14 pm
Me too, I'll keep it up as long as there are at least 2 players still interested
Aug 13, 2015 5:53 pm
Yeah, I thnk Gencon hit things quite hard, plus general summer lethargy. I'm still super keen, though fighting with crappy Internet connection on holiday.
Aug 14, 2015 8:40 am
Can anyone not see the battlemap?
Aug 14, 2015 12:42 pm
I can see it fine
Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm
From what burnttoazt posted I don't think he can see it. Just wanted to check as players have had trouble loading it before
Aug 14, 2015 5:24 pm
Yup I can see it fine now, even on my Android tablet.
Aug 18, 2015 8:23 pm
Thanks for inviting me as a replacement player! So should I read the thread (Wow, 146 posts) or come in blind?
Aug 18, 2015 8:25 pm
Read them up, don't miss out!
Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm
Welcome to the party!
Aug 19, 2015 3:33 am
Good to see you here, Jabes.plays.RPG!
Aug 19, 2015 12:03 pm
Thank you for the welcome! I'm reading through the game thread right now. When I'm done I'll put together a character with the stats I rolled. Cheers! :-)
Aug 20, 2015 1:16 pm
Sorry for my absence, a dizzying array of personal and technical issues came up. I hope that is all done and I can post regularly again.
Aug 20, 2015 1:33 pm
No worries! We'll be out of combat soon
Aug 27, 2015 3:48 pm
I am tracking HP now. Sanora should have been out in that last fight so but I'm going to put her on 1HP for now!
Aug 31, 2015 4:18 pm
Man, we can't roll for anything today. Hopefully when we get attacked we can start rolling a little bit better.
Aug 31, 2015 4:24 pm
Yeah, luck is certainly not on our side right now. Badly failed perception checks can lead to some good comedy though!
Sep 1, 2015 1:11 pm
Are Sanora and Darf still playing?
Sep 1, 2015 2:12 pm
Not seen foolsmask in a while. Not sure. Will contact them and find replacements
Sep 1, 2015 4:41 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Anrin experiences a mild, but confusing, psychotic episode, hearing faint music coming from the south corridor.
Which is the south corridor? Left or right? I want to get some mileage out of my hilarious double 1 roll back there...
Sep 2, 2015 9:31 am
South is right - the map is currently upright
Sep 4, 2015 7:42 pm
Am going away for the weekend. Go ahead and NPC Kaxaon if necessary. He'll cover the rear when the group is moving, sticking mostly with Spugnoir and hopefully keeping him quiet. If we meet any opposition he enters rage and charges right in with his spiked chains.
Sep 6, 2015 8:15 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Something slips into into darkness in the room at the end of the corridor.
Did we all see this?
Sep 6, 2015 8:40 pm
Just Anrin and Matthias :)
Sep 6, 2015 8:41 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Just Anrin and Matthias :)
Ok :-)
Sep 6, 2015 8:46 pm
There be more rooms to explore, take your pick...or don't!
Sep 7, 2015 8:54 pm
Kaxaon would not have std behind Spugnoir. He would have positioned himself between Spugnoir and the corridor.
Sep 7, 2015 11:15 pm
No problem - moved
Sep 8, 2015 5:30 am
Hey, folks. I'm a long-time D&D player (started Basic Set when I saw a kid looking sort of dejected, rolling dice on a bench during recess back in 1981) who has wanted to play ToEE since before it was one super-module. I played AD&D, AD&D2, a bit of D&D3, a tiny smidgeon of D&D4, and have lately been running my kids in D&D5. But we haven't yet got to ToEE - I'm working them toward N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God.

So I'm very excited to participate! Today was Labor Day in the US, and I spent all day out with my family...I had to struggle to resist surreptitiously logging in with my phone to finish uploading my character, "Grumble" Danj, human wizard, to this game. Now I have, and I'm re-reading through the game thread to try to see how I'll suddenly insert myself into the action.

Edit: to fix some typos
Last edited September 8, 2015 5:31 am
Sep 8, 2015 5:50 am
Glad to have you here, Spaceseeker! Looking forward to meeting Grumble! :-)
Sep 8, 2015 1:57 pm
Welcome to the game Spaceseeker19!
Sep 8, 2015 2:02 pm
Naatkinson says:
When it gets to Matthias' turn he will move to a good angle and unleash a bolt of fire the adder's way.
Kaxaon may be in melee with the snake by that time. I hope I don't get burned to a crisp! I'm just waiting for Harlandski to post Anrin's move before I make mine.
Sep 8, 2015 2:18 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
When it gets to Matthias' turn he will move to a good angle and unleash a bolt of fire the adder's way.
Kaxaon may be in melee with the snake by that time. I hope I don't get burned to a crisp! I'm just waiting for Harlandski to post Anrin's move before I make mine.
I can't see that being too much of a problem, based on the map you're pretty far away at this point
Sep 8, 2015 2:31 pm
Taking Biscuitfiend at his word that he has moved Kaxaon's token to be in front of Spugnoir instead of behind him then on my turn a single Dash will bring Kaxaon within melee range of the snake (or nearly). But don't worry about it :-) Kaxaon will be raging by then. He can take a hit.
Last edited September 8, 2015 2:31 pm
Sep 8, 2015 2:37 pm
Yeah, not too worried either way since I did say I would be going for a good angle. Firing through the massive barbarian's back is not a good angle :)
Sep 9, 2015 1:30 am
Shouldn't Anrin have had his attack first, as he had higher initiative and had his attack readied? Come to think of it, shouldn't Darf and Kaaxon and Matthias all get to attack before the python, too? :-)
Last edited September 9, 2015 1:33 am
Sep 9, 2015 2:57 am
harlandski says:
Shouldn't Anrin have had his attack first, as he had higher initiative and had his attack readied? Come to think of it, shouldn't Darf and Kaaxon and Matthias all get to attack before the python, too? :-)
Not sure, but I think you may have taken an attack of opportunity as you backed away.
Sep 9, 2015 6:46 am
Kaxaon charges in and moves his full 60ft. I'm probably burning his rage slot needlessly as I'm fairly sure Darf & Matthias will have taken the snake out already but hey that's Kaxaon for you.
Last edited September 9, 2015 6:47 am
Sep 9, 2015 10:09 am
AoO, attack reach of 10ft. It's a sneaky part of the snake's statblock. Attack and disengage were both better options!
Sep 9, 2015 12:54 pm
Man, I need more spells per day, my rolling skills aren't very good lol
Sep 9, 2015 5:30 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
AoO, attack reach of 10ft. It's a sneaky part of the snake's statblock. Attack and disengage were both better options!
Got it. A lesson learned by Anrin and harlandski! :-)
Sep 9, 2015 6:21 pm
Looks like Foolsmask isn't coming back: http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/948/
Sep 10, 2015 1:56 am
I'm refraining from saying that I will stabilize the halfling, given that I'm already a turn ahead of where we are in the game...but I intend to do so if no one else does by the end of turn 2.
Sep 12, 2015 4:09 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it! :-)
Sep 13, 2015 3:58 am
spaceseeker19 says:
OOC: Refresh my memory: When Darf aids/stabilizes Anrin, what is the target number for the check? I'll need to know in case he fails the roll.
I believe stabilizing a creature is a DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check.
Sep 13, 2015 4:00 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
spaceseeker19 says:
OOC: Refresh my memory: When Darf aids/stabilizes Anrin, what is the target number for the check? I'll need to know in case he fails the roll.
I believe stabilizing a creature is a DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check.
Yep, DC 10, Pg 197 of the phb
Sep 13, 2015 7:06 am
Burnttoazt says:
Darf isn't really sure how to help so he frantically starts trying to suck poisen out of anrins bite.
That's quite a mental image. :-D Seriously though, I suppose that qualifies as stabilizing him?
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
The poison that the snake pumped into Kaxaon only serves to enrage him. He wraps his spiked chain around the giant snake's neck and pulls the noose tight, his muscles bulging from the strain.
OOC:
*My description of Kaxaon's attack sounds like a Grapple, but I choose to make a regular melee attack.
*Savage attacker Feat: Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice and use either total. I choose the higher result of course!
I like the more streamlined (as compared to 3rd Edition) grappling rules in 5th Ed, but it's a bummer that the grapple itself can't deal damage. In my opinion, with certain weapons it should deal damage. Certainly if you're armed with a sword and you use your free hand to grab your opponent then maybe it doesn't deal damage but if you use a spiked chain, a flail, or a whip I feel like it should hurt. In fact, in the case of a spiked chain, even a successful escape from the grapple should hurt.

Anyway, Bicuitfiend, I'm not saying this is something you should apply to this game. This is just a general comment on the RAW :-)
Last edited September 13, 2015 7:30 am
Sep 14, 2015 7:23 pm
I'm finding it a bit laborious to page back through the thread to find the current map every couple of days. What do other people do? Do you save the image locally, or bookmark the thread page that has the image? Would it be helpful and/or possible to create a new thread, just for maps? That way the image wouldn't get buried as easily.
Sep 15, 2015 8:33 pm
I'll get another image out. It would be good to save the image or bookmark URL. It's more useful for combat than anything as it's a bit dark
Sep 16, 2015 4:42 pm
Fwiw I like the idea of having a thread for maps. :-)
Sep 16, 2015 4:57 pm
What a great idea!
Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm
The scraping at the door. Currently only Grumble is aware, yes?
Sep 16, 2015 8:55 pm
Yes - everyone else is otherwise occupied, I believe
Sep 17, 2015 3:14 pm
Thank you for the maps thread! It's very helpful!

I laughed to see how isolated Grumble is from everyone else...
Sep 17, 2015 3:27 pm
Ha! All this time I thought Spugnoir and Kaxaon were in the same hallway as Grumble! :-D
Sep 17, 2015 5:22 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Anrin gains inspiration for lying so bravely. So bravely. Anrin
Thank you! Are we stacking inspiration, or do we only allowed one at any one time, as per the official rules?
Sep 17, 2015 5:23 pm
I'm enjoying Anrin's unconsciousness too much :)
Sep 17, 2015 7:20 pm
Naatkinson says:
Haha same here! :-D
spaceseeker19 says:
OOC: should we all just say "short rest" and let Anrin spend his hit die to get back on his feet before we continue?
Kaxaon is just too proud to call for a rest but yeah, he has been complaining about dripping blood all over the place, hasn't he?

Brave, brave Anrin is the only healer in the group, isn't he?
Last edited September 17, 2015 7:21 pm
Sep 18, 2015 7:26 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Brave, brave Anrin is the only healer in the group, isn't he?
Sadly yes, and a pretty poor healer until he reaches 2nd level...
Sep 18, 2015 11:51 am
Inspiration cannot be stacked. It is meant to be used regularly (or save it up for when you really need it)

Inspiration can also be handed from player to player IF and when there is a good reason for it (roleplay, doing cool stuff)
Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm
Just curious: are there any other repugnant characters like Elmo in the party that Grumble can glom onto as "Champions of good?"

Grumble's not particularly a good judge of character...
Sep 18, 2015 5:16 pm
Elmo is no champion of good - the others know him to be a drunkard. He is, however, civil and practical where it is required. This could be interpreted as goodness.

The other NPCs seem to have their own reasons for being here. Turuko and Kobort are looking for their supply wagon. Spugnoir for scrolls
Sep 19, 2015 1:34 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
Haha same here! :-D

Glad I've bern providing amusement whilst Anrin can't do anything else. Apologies to anyone who is annoyed by it (Burnttoazt?) For any who don't know, I'm riffing off of Monty Python's Sir Robin https://youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

As I understand the rules, Anrin's going to be unconscious for 1d4 hours unless he gets magical healing. I quite like the verisimilitude of that, but I can see it's frustrating for the party at the moment.

I'd like to pass on my spare inspiration to Matthias, for standing by his unconscious companion.
Last edited September 19, 2015 1:41 am
Sep 19, 2015 3:16 am
Sadly I already have inspiration as well lol
Sep 19, 2015 11:25 am
Anyone got herbalism kit + proficiency?
Sep 19, 2015 5:41 pm
Naatkinson says:
Sadly I already have inspiration as well lol
Awkward! Pass it on?
Sep 20, 2015 1:41 pm
I will pass the extra inspiration on to Kaxaon!
Sep 20, 2015 3:28 pm
You need a reason to pass inspiration - if they do something awesome/funny etc. Check in the PHB under backgrounds
Sep 20, 2015 3:34 pm
I thought it was pretty awesome how he ripped the snake's head apart with his chains :)
If that's good enough I will pass it on, otherwise it goes poof lol
Sep 20, 2015 6:36 pm
Hi! Sorry, been AFK for the past couple of days. I would tried to help move things along but anyway here we are. :-D

IIRC Kaxaon has not been granted inspiration. If Naatkinson's reason is cool then I'll accept it, and thanks!

Are we officially taking a short rest?
Last edited September 20, 2015 7:53 pm
Sep 21, 2015 7:13 am
Ok cool, take the point. Personally I liked his bleeding ;)
Sep 21, 2015 7:26 am
Yeah I actually like him bleeding all over and not caring, not bothering to rest or heal, but 5hp is cutting it a little to close...I'm still recovering from Arashi's death haha! (fr the benefit of the others, Arashi is a character I played in one of Biscuitfiend's other games). So are we on a short rest and can I take a hit die?
Sep 21, 2015 10:41 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
I don't know where Mahdi, Johnny, or Sanora (and her servants) are. Of course, Grumble doesn't know any of these people well enough to miss them if they just disappear, so...
I believe those players have dropped out (can't remember how the PC's were narrated out). Hence our recruitment as replacements.
spaceseeker19 says:
Also, I apologize for rolling my own initiative earlier; I'd forgotten that the DM rolls the initiative in this game.
And I got excited and followed suit! Haha! Sorry about that!
Last edited September 21, 2015 11:00 pm
Sep 21, 2015 10:59 pm
Feel free to roll IN. I do so for convenience
Sep 21, 2015 11:01 pm
GM-rolled initiative will no doubt be higher than what I rolled anyway! :-D Unless Biscuitfiend makes me use my pathetic roll haha!

Added attack & damage roll to my post.
Sep 22, 2015 4:48 pm
Hilarious that the people with lowest initiative are in front, blocking the doorway.
Sep 22, 2015 7:24 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Hilarious that the people with lowest initiative are in front, blocking the doorway.
Yep, standard procedure lol :)
Sep 24, 2015 2:42 pm
You can pass through any ally's space, though it will cost double movement (an extra 5ft for each ally if going straight through)
Sep 24, 2015 11:00 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Darf, Matthias and Grumble gain 12exp and lunch
Hey, Kaxaon participated too! Never mind XP, does he at least get lunch too? :-)
Last edited September 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Sep 25, 2015 7:39 am
Kaxaon: "Watch me pull a rabbit out of this lizard!"
Grumble: "...again?!"
Kaxaon: "Nothing up my sleeve...Presto!"
(something unspeakable greets their eyes)
Kaxaon: "Huh. I gotta get me a new lizard."
Last edited September 25, 2015 7:40 am
Sep 25, 2015 9:01 am
Hahaha! The Entertainer background should include Magician on its list of routines! :-D
Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm
Have we now explored all of the first floor? That we know of anyway?
Sep 25, 2015 9:41 pm
Kaxaon never got a turn before combat ended. That's whatcha get for rolling a 1! I think...i guess he deserves the exp. Gain 12exp!

One room left where spugnoir is. And double doors opposite the entrance
Sep 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Biscuitfiend says:
Darf, Matthias and Grumble gain 12exp and lunch
Hey, Kaxaon participated too! Never mind XP, does he at least get lunch too? :-)
Biscuitfiend says:
Kaxaon never got a turn before combat ended. That's whatcha get for rolling a 1! I think...i guess he deserves the exp. Gain 12exp!

One room left where spugnoir is. And double doors opposite the entrance
I didn't intend to rules lawyer or anything... I was just kidding around! :-)
Sep 28, 2015 1:42 pm
Kaxaon says:
Rolls Insight - (1d20+2)
( 4 ) + 2 = 6
Biscuitfiend says:
He does seem suspicious. But more inept than anything.
More like that was inept Insight roll! LOL!!! :-D
Sep 28, 2015 1:47 pm
Yeah, that was just a terrible roll lol
Sep 28, 2015 4:11 pm
Why are you all so suspicious of everything?? Goodness me!! Haha
Oct 2, 2015 1:10 pm
Apologies to all - my other half has been in hospital all week and so I haven't been able to keep up on here - will resume shortly. Thanks
Oct 2, 2015 1:15 pm
It's alright, life happens. Hope your other half is alright!
Oct 2, 2015 3:46 pm
Hospital stays are taxing. Hoping for good care and speedy recovery!
Oct 4, 2015 4:16 am
Sorry to hear your other half's been ill. Get well soon!
Oct 5, 2015 1:50 pm
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm up to normal pace. She's recovering now after a (possibly unecessary) appedectomy
Oct 5, 2015 1:52 pm
Glad to hear that things went well, hoping for a speedy recovery!
Oct 6, 2015 4:35 am
harlandski says:
Putting his sword away, Anrin looks around for something which could be used as a battering ram.
Kaxaon could be used as a battering ram but he's downstairs with Spugnoir :-D
Oct 6, 2015 11:39 am
Sorry I'm a bit confused about who is where. I went back and re-read page 10 of the game thread, and found this:
Biscuitfiend says:
Matthias spots a doorless opening to the right of the west corridor, stairs evidently leading down to some kind or larder. In the corridor, there are splintered wooden doors, all barely shut properly. Two to the left, one to the right, and double doors ahead. He hears shuffling from one of the rooms, but it's too hard to figure out where.
So Anrin is in front of some double doors at the far side of the big hall we first came into, but Kaxaon and Spugnior are down the larder steps. Am I right? Can either location be seen on the maps? Sorry if this is really obvious...
Last edited October 6, 2015 11:39 am
Oct 7, 2015 9:43 am
Sorted - I think I'll start posting the maps in the game thread too :)
Oct 7, 2015 3:48 pm
Never fear, Anrin and Matthias are on their way!
Oct 9, 2015 2:25 pm
Whoops! I guess Grumble forgot to renew the light on his staff!
Oct 12, 2015 12:28 am
Since I don't have my lit staff at hand - not sure why I don't - I'm considering casting light on a crossbow bolt and firing it at a half-seen rat. Would that be 1 turn, or 2 turns worth of actions?
Oct 12, 2015 9:27 am
2 actions = 2 turns. The arrow may bounce but should fill the room with light
Oct 12, 2015 7:18 pm
Hey, anybody else with a range weapon want to come up behind Darf and try to shoot? We should keep going in a line all the way back up the stairs, until one of us gets shot in the back!

I kid, I kid. But each arrow whistling past makes Grumble cringe, given his narrow miss of Kaxaon in the first round.
Oct 13, 2015 8:00 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Anrin (15, approaching)
So I suppose Anrin can't directly help till next round? Or indeed see to advise Kaxaon to get out of the way so we can all have a stab :-D
Oct 13, 2015 9:00 am
Kaxaon is not going to want to move from the doorway. Moving into the room would be foolish as anyone doing so would get surrounded. Moving back would be pointless unless it's to close the door if that's possible. Looks to me like two people can stand at the doorway to fight.

Kaxaon sees the doorway as a bottleneck and he's the cork preventing the rats from spilling out. He will simply ignore "Get out of the way of my crossbow!" He might oblige if it's "Get out of the way of this fireball!" or a suggestion of "Quick, close the door! There's too many of those vermin!"
Last edited October 13, 2015 1:52 pm
Oct 13, 2015 1:30 pm
Anrin may assist now - he joined combat last round and so is near to the stairs. The door is only 5ft wide - the cellar image exaggerates a bit!
Oct 15, 2015 8:33 am
Haha I think that, despite raging, Kaxain will find Anrin's argument compelling! However, he's way at the bottom of the initiative order.
Oct 18, 2015 3:10 pm
Are we waiting on rats or is it Kaxaon's turn?
Oct 18, 2015 4:07 pm
My understanding is that it's the rats' turn. At any rate, Kaxaon doesn't go until Matthias has had a go.
Oct 18, 2015 9:01 pm
Waiting for darf. Many of the rats essentially skip their go!
Oct 19, 2015 6:26 am
Ah, my mistake; Matthias' last post was the initiative for this round; presumably Naat wants Matthias to act this round, too (though what he can do with Darf and Grumble blocking the stairs is anybody's guess).
Oct 19, 2015 2:42 pm
Don't forget that you can pass through a friendly character's space and even attack from it (at disadvantage) although it's better to avoid remaining there afterwards. You could also shoot from the area above without incurring much of a risk of hitting team mates, assuming you are directly above kaxaon
Oct 19, 2015 3:27 pm
Yeah, Kaxaon is toast! :-D
Oct 19, 2015 3:36 pm
Level 1 characters are so squishy, I love it
Oct 19, 2015 6:42 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Quick question: how many attacks of opportunity would I provoke by Grumble running far enough into the room to cast Thunderwave and NOT hit Kaxaon? (15' range)
RAW: Thunderwave is not centered on you, you are on one of the faces of the cube, so you could stand in Kaxaon's square without destroying him with the spell.

This is my source, as well as the description of cube spells in the spellcasting rules on Pg 204 of the PHB:
Quote:
You select a cube’s point of origin, which lies anywhere on a face of the cubic effect. The cube’s size is expressed as the length of each side. A cube’s point of origin is not included in the cube’s area of effect, unless you decide otherwise.
Not sure if that answers your question at all, but I enjoy talking about rules (and helping people with them)
Last edited October 19, 2015 6:49 pm
Oct 19, 2015 6:51 pm
Ah, excellent! By my vision of the scene, there's only two conscious rats on the stairs I'd need to step past. I'll do it.
Oct 20, 2015 12:20 am
"Note that the rats who succeeded in their save take 4 points of damage..." he says hopefully.
Oct 21, 2015 12:24 am
Yikes! Anrin and Kaxaon are both out? Um...is Darf still conscious, or is it just casters (Matthias and Grumble) and NPCs (Elmo and Spugnoir) now? That is to say: just casters, NPCs, and a giant pack of rats?

Yeah, I think somebody'd better close the door! The problem might be how many dead/dying bodies are blocking the door... Kaxaon, Anrin, and how many rats? Can we make saves or something, to see whether characters fell in or out of the doorway? Also, how many live rats are in the stairwell?
Oct 22, 2015 9:52 am
Darf is ok. There are 8 rats left, 3 on stairs (1 sleeping).

I would say closing the door would be strength check at disadvantage, with 2 bodies and many rats scattered about. I'm interested to see how this goes!
Oct 22, 2015 7:58 pm
This is not a good situation at all, lol

Where is Darf at anyway? Haven't seen him on in a while.
Oct 22, 2015 8:09 pm
Maybe two or more PC's working together to shut the door will mitigate the disadvantage? :-)
Oct 22, 2015 9:00 pm
Just 8 rats? Pfft! No problem!

Of course, I have no spell slots left. So it's a choice of trying to use a +1 STR mod with DISADV when trying to close the door, being assisted by someone else (who has to withstand opportunity attacks from two rats to get to the door), or trying my hand with Darf, Elmo, Matthias and Spugnoir at weapon combat! Hm. When you put it that way, the fighting option doesn't seem so bad...except that I'm the vanguard at the moment.

The nice thing is that I have a while - pretty much a full round - left before I need to make that decision. The situation may be decided before I get a turn (such as when another couple of PCs bite the dust). On the other hand, my first D&D5 game had three of the four characters reduced to 0 HP and the last one survived with 1 HP to stabilize the others.

Hope springs eternal!
Oct 22, 2015 9:03 pm
Question for DM: How much damage would I take (if any) if I dropped down in front of the door and attempted to close it?

Kinda thinking I'll avoid the AoO's if I drop down, since I'm right above it at the moment!
Oct 22, 2015 9:42 pm
"Jump! I'll catch you!"
Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm
Well, Darf being dragged into the room ruined my plans to close the door lol
Oct 23, 2015 10:26 pm
At least the rats are fed! I'm not sure how many portions a Dwarf makes, though
Oct 24, 2015 12:37 am
Well, you did warn us that Gygax was Lawful Evil!
Oct 24, 2015 8:57 am
I'm really not sure he had much of a method. Maybe neutral evil? Let's just leave a ton of nasty creatures around and see what happens!
Oct 24, 2015 4:55 pm
I assumed by the description that Darf was dead before he was fully through the door...it sounded pretty graphic.
Oct 25, 2015 9:34 am
He was alive at the time. For all we know he might become rat Tarzan. Either way, he saved the team!
Oct 25, 2015 3:53 pm
I seriously thought Kaxaon was rat lunch!
Oct 26, 2015 4:14 pm
There will surely be another chance later. Did anyone gain a level yet?
Oct 26, 2015 4:20 pm
70 xp away :(

The Welcome Wench is only a couple of hours away right?
Oct 26, 2015 4:35 pm
Two hours on foot, and Elmo has cleared a path through any areas of dense thicket
Oct 27, 2015 5:18 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I seriously thought Kaxaon was rat lunch!
Same here with Anrin. Anyway, I'm glad that I stayed true to character concept and survived. I thought you and I would be rolling up new characters, Jabes.

I wouldn't have been that sad to start again, though. All this Anrin-the-paladin-gets-knocked-unconscious stuff has got me thinking...:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Flawed_aafcd6_5015528.jpg
Oct 27, 2015 5:34 pm
We all have flaws, but we also are all playing quirks, which are even more entertaining. When they go hand-in-hand with bad rolls, they're priceless.

I'm enjoying Grumble's fish-out-of-water aspect.
Oh, look! Those guys in yellow, they say hello! They're drawing daggers - this must be how city folk greet one another!
Nov 5, 2015 5:29 pm
Did Biscuitfiend post anywhere about an absence, or a family emergency? I'm worried, and hope everything's OK with him.
Nov 5, 2015 5:31 pm
I haven't heard or seen anything posted. I am beginning to worry as well, he has been consistently active up until a short time ago.
Nov 7, 2015 4:30 pm
Let's wait a bit. Unexpected things can happen, and take people out for a week or two. I too hope all is well with our DM.
Nov 7, 2015 5:10 pm
Heard from him in another game, he should be back soon
Nov 8, 2015 3:05 pm
Good news! :-)
Last edited November 8, 2015 3:05 pm
Nov 14, 2015 3:06 pm
So... things are pretty quiet round here. Any more news from Biscuitfiend?
Nov 14, 2015 4:15 pm
Not since last week :(
Nov 15, 2015 3:38 am
Worst case scenario, one of us could continue this game as DM. After all Biscuitfiend was using a published module...
Nov 15, 2015 4:05 am
harlandski says:
Worst case scenario, one of us could continue this game as DM. After all Biscuitfiend was using a published module...
I'd hate to do that, but it's certainly an idea if we have to
Nov 15, 2015 5:46 am
He must be busy with real life. That's fine. But I do hope he comes back. I'm also in his Ravenloft game and his LMoP game! :-D
Nov 15, 2015 7:56 am
Well, I really hope he comes back, too, and that everything's OK.

I have the Temple of Elemental Evil mega-module, but if I read it, it was way back when I bought it in 1987, and I don't remember it. But if there is no other person to run it, say, by the end of the year, I'll be willing to hand off Grumble to another player and run the rest of the game.
Nov 16, 2015 11:54 am
Hi all, apologies for my inactivity. I hope to be back soon as I'm keen to keep my games going but I've just got a few things to deal with at home first. Hopefully I'll be back making posts in no time. If I really need to I'll pass the module to someone else but this is probably my favourite one! Cheers
Nov 17, 2015 2:09 pm
Yay, glad to hear from you Biscuitfiend. Really enjoying the game and looking forward to getting back to it when you're ready.
Nov 21, 2015 11:32 am
I'm glad to be back, I hope the game picks up ok.

To our new players - hi! You might notice that this game is different in that stats must be rolled down the line (like in 1st edition) as I wanted an old-school vibe for character creation. Of course, there are no class restrictions. Go ahead and roll up in the character creation thread.

So far, players have investigated the small hamlet of Hommlet and a nearby ruin on behalf of a local druid. Something is fishy but they haven't quite found out what! The area was a site for a great battle just a decade ago and signs of evil returning has led you, along with other adventurers, to flock here in search of possible fame and fortune.
Nov 24, 2015 8:37 am
Does Anrin already have Inspiration? I'd like to pass Kaxaon's inspiration point to him. Harlandski's has been some of the best roleplaying I've seen, and it's been with an unconscious PC!
Nov 25, 2015 1:30 am
I'm not sure but according to my records, yes! You can pass it
Nov 26, 2015 10:28 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Does Anrin already have Inspiration? I'd like to pass Kaxaon's inspiration point to him. Harlandski's has been some of the best roleplaying I've seen, and it's been with an unconscious PC!
Ha ha, thanks Jabes :-D
Dec 3, 2015 6:19 pm
Oh man, these ochre-robed women are SO cultists, but Grumble has no way to detect evil! Argh!

I guess we're going to Nulb to meet Lareth, then...
Dec 8, 2015 4:58 am
Hello - sorry I'm snowed under with work this week. I'll be back in the game on Monday 14th.
Dec 9, 2015 10:08 am
No problem. Looks like this game is going to be slow for a week.
Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm
Hello again - really sorry, work continues to devour me, but I the end is in sight. Hope to be back on board by the weekend.
Dec 17, 2015 5:26 pm
No problem, I will DMPC Anrin for you if combat breaks out and we can't find you!
Dec 19, 2015 3:26 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Jan 19, 2016 11:25 pm
Hi all, I'm away until Saturday at Center Parcs. See you shortly!
Feb 1, 2016 10:49 pm
Anyone hear from Biscuitfied lately?
Feb 21, 2016 4:26 pm
I don't know if you guys are aware...I've posted about Biscuifiend's absence on a couple of other threads but not here...and I wouldn't presume to speak for him...but he's going through some RL stuff right now and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing him the best.
Feb 21, 2016 4:26 pm
I will update this as we go along. Please check for accuracy. Thanks!

XP Tracking

Anrin, Darf, Sanora, Matthias,
130 XP from activities in Hommlet and for reaching the moathouse.
46 XP giant frogs

Anrin, Darf, Kaxaon, Matthias
12 XP giant adder

Darf, Matthias, Grumble. (And Kaxaon!)
12 XP giant lizard

Anrin, Darf, Kaxaon, Matthias, Grumble (and Grumble gains a bonus 10 XP)
30 XP giant rats
---------------
Totals:
Darf: 230 XP
Matthias: 230 XP
Anrin: 218 XP
Sanora: 176 XP
Grumble: 64 XP
Kaxaon: 54 XP
Last edited February 21, 2016 6:04 pm
Feb 21, 2016 5:43 pm
Thanks for keeping track of this, and for notifying us about Biscuitfiend. We wish him well, of course. I know only too well how issues outside of GP can effect how much someone can post - if at all - on the site.

I remain enthusiastic about this game and look forward to resuming when things have settled down and it works for Biscuitfiend.
Feb 21, 2016 5:51 pm
There was also 130 Xp here

And 46 here
Last edited February 21, 2016 5:52 pm
Feb 21, 2016 5:55 pm
Naatkinson says:
There was also 130 Xp here

And 46 here
Aha! This was before I joined. Thanks, will put those in. :-)
Apr 8, 2016 5:14 pm
Going to drop this game for now.

Biscuitfiend, if you come back, please re-invite me :)

Just trying to save space in my list of games
Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm
Hi all, sorry to disappoint you all. I've decided to fold all my games because of life I guess! I may be back in the future and I wish you all the best. It was fun playing here with you all :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.