OOC Thread

load previous
Oct 12, 2015 4:14 pm
I am fine with your posting for me when/if I'm unable to do so myself; I have a policy in my games (all two of them) that PCs will be run as NPCs if the players don't post in time, so I expect it.

I apologize for slowing everyone down; we had a big wedding at our house on Saturday.
Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm
On another note: when we are rolling checks ourselves, is there a base number of purple dice we should assume, like with my cool check?

I know standard difficulty is two purple dice, so should we assume that when we impose rolls on ourselves, or is there a broader guideline we should use? I feel a little bit silly, having just rolled two green dice with no real chance of failure.
Oct 12, 2015 4:48 pm
It's a good question and I haven't figured out a great way to think about it yet, tbqh. I don't mind editing the post and adding a purple die roll and doing the math. Or, if opportunity presents itself I can let people know what to add. But the difficulty can really vary. For example, I figured that the knowledge check was relying on knowledge of how holocrons work, which, if you'd never used one, you probably couldn't be expected to know 0 ABY given the Imperial efforts on discrediting and obfuscating all things Jedi/Sith.

I'll try and provide some better context for rolls before you guys make them and see if that helps. Failing that I'm okay with adding purple after the fact if that's ok. Or if you guys prefer you can request a die pool and I can let you know for your roll. It'll slow things down a little bit, but is more true to the form of the play, i guess.
Oct 12, 2015 5:02 pm
As far as I'm concerned, your adding to the dice pool makes perfect sense to me. In a tabletop setting, it would seem antagonistic, but here I don't think it does - we're not actually rolling dice, we're all using a separate die roller, after all.
Oct 12, 2015 6:37 pm
From my readup for the game the FaD beta book on p17 goes over difficulty dice with application examples I think. If it gets very hairy there would be challenge dice added in by the GM. If he knows in advance and has a roll he wants us to make with the difficulty I figure is one option, seeing what we're trying to do from the RP post and we roll our skill and he rolls the purple/blacks/reds is another option but he'll have to know if we have any abilities that might modify bad dice that are rolled. I'm fine with doing both or either really
Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm
I'll assume if there are difficulty/challenge/setback dice to add that I didn't provide insight for you guys, I'll edit your post with a die roll and add the "bad die roll" to it, in order to make sure we have it consolidated in a single post. I think this will mean we can move along faster than if I say "please also roll X". Given that I'm not actually physically rolling dice this shouldn't seem like I'm "rolling against you" like it would feel like in a live setting.

That said, where possible I'll try and make sure you have the information to build a full dice pool whenever possible. If the above method doesn't feel like it's working or if anyone feels like they'd rather control the roll of the dice, I'm happy to adjust to suit the group's preference.

My objective, ultimately, is to make sure we don't have a lot of:

Player in Post 1: I do X. Roll what I think applies.
Me in Post 2: Ok. It's of hard difficulty and you have several mynocks attempting to suck the life out of you, take two setback dice too.
Player in Post 3: ok. here's the bad dice roll.

That feels like a lot of opportunity to slow down the pace, somewhat.
Oct 12, 2015 9:30 pm
Interesting die roll, Remnant! I don't remember what happens on just advantage, so updates will need to wait 'til I get home and can pour over the book a bit and see what happens.
Oct 12, 2015 9:37 pm
Not that anybody asked for it, but my impression is that you need at least one success to succeed in a task; anything less is a failure. So 3 advantage would be a failure with 3 advantage. I'd be happy to be wrong in this, though.
Last edited October 12, 2015 9:39 pm
Oct 12, 2015 9:38 pm
I didn't pass or fail really I'm at a nil for the most part but you never make the blunt abrasive guy the face. It's all brass tacks.
Last edited October 12, 2015 9:38 pm
Oct 13, 2015 2:41 am
spaceseeker19, it's because the advantage and whatnot don't necessarily have to impact your character as like a punishment. They are a way to bring in more story elements even when failing or passing a roll. Like if you fail, but have 3 advantages, you just get a failure that works out in your favor, which is more interesting then just failing.

It would be like in D&D if I failed to pick the lock on a chest. That sucks. But it also gives me little to go off of narratively. Now in this game I could fail it, but wind up with a few advantages. So instead of just not picking a lock I could say I was trying to open this space chest (this is Star Wars after all), and I couldn't get into it. I was so pissed I kicked the chest off the ledge we were on and it fell, breaking open a portion of the wall we didn't know had a secret passage behind it, and inside there we also found 50 space bucks! Boom. Narrative hooks.

The best part is that we are supposed to work with the GM to decide these narrative benefits. It creates a really interesting table dynamic if you list to playthroughs. I recommend the Campaign podcast. It's the other half of the One Shot podcast. Highly recommend.
Last edited October 13, 2015 2:42 am
Oct 13, 2015 2:04 pm
Hmm since GM will be out for a bit does everyone know how weapons work for damage in melee or ranged and soaking/defense?
Last edited October 13, 2015 2:05 pm
Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm
Note -- there's meant to be a picture I can post to help give you a sense of the ruins. I'll also remind myself on ranges so you can have proper difficulties for your rolls. But that probably happens tomorrow am rather than today.

I'm pretty sure damage works like: damage - soak = wounds. I believe 'defense' is used to upgrade difficulty, but I don't recall completely.
Oct 13, 2015 4:19 pm
Yep, there's also a critical injury table for when you crit. =D
Oct 13, 2015 11:49 pm
PhantomNimbus, I also like that aspect of determining what the advantage of a failure is, in a case like the example with no success (which is a failure) and three advantage. The shot misses...but it then hits a snowbank, which collapses onto the opponent, giving a bonus die on the next attack on that target (as an example).

I've been enjoying the Never Tell Me The Odds podcast, too, as another example of a FFG Star Wars RPG campaign.
Oct 14, 2015 4:34 am
It's hilarious that I decided to run up and stab someone despite having stats that would have granted me a whole handful more dice if I would have just used my blaster. But for some reason I felt like a guy named Dagger should run up and do some stabbing. If only I ended up with enough to crit the knife I could have utilized it's vicious attribute to do some real damage.
Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm
Personally I think the dice are interesting since a check can be more than a simple yes/no, granted it's more with the option of you pass with a boon (critical success), you pass with a hindrance, fail with a boon, fail with a threat (critical fail) to look at but anything we do with dice affects story possibly which is a lot different. Also crit tables! (I like tables) I'll probably have to read up on the advantage/threats from rolls and how they can be used in combat besides just enabling crits.

@ PhantomNimbus we're not a cohesive unit of people that know each other and roughing it throw cold territory and ambushing locals probably isn't in everyones wheelhouse of experience. We're also not probably fully considered Jedi knights so our life experiences bleed over and I think that makes sense. Heyop barking for intel having mixed results or someone going into melee with gun toting locals is something they would do so it's interesting in that respect, anyone who brings a knife to a gun fight are usually thought to be at a disadvantage... or very dangerous with said knife. On the Meta side if it looks hairy for Dagger I'm likely to rush and attempt to herd the hunters and use my weapon to make them easy targets to pick off for people going ranged (Using disorient and calling out to stun them).

Am I the only one who thought of taking their coats and guns as a disguise? Plus it's cold. T_T
Oct 14, 2015 4:14 pm
Folks -- on this round I opted to give you the choice of what to do with your advantage, because I thought it'd embrace you more into the storytelling aspect of the story. Taking this path will slow down combat, however, as I'll need to pause between player and NPC initiative to let you sort out the results of advantage. I think that's a worthwhile consequence since PbP isn't exactly the fastest medium known to mankind, but if you'd rather I owned the results from advantage based on what I think is better from a narrative point of view, I can do that.

szemely I'd like to give you a chance to change your narrative after the NPC action as well, if you like. Alternatively I can modify it based on circumstances to fit the 'new reality' your character would perceive. Again, I think the benefit vs. cost is involving you guys more in the narrative (good) versus taking more time. I'm okay with this cost if you guys are. If you'd rather I drive for efficiency, let me know.
Oct 14, 2015 4:43 pm
Yeah I don't mind, I think since we know how many dice we need to throw now for combat it'll go a bit quicker maybe.

After looking through the book and finding table 6-2 on page 149 (which was very helpful for me at least). I think I know what I'd like to try, but would I wait for my turn for it to apply or would it be now right after Csillag's actions take affect? (I'm probably going to use the 4 Advantage for the second option to give Dagger and Kaveri an immediate free maneuver (it looks like the only 'good' option listed is a boost dice to their next check, this cost 2 Advantage each since it's directed at targets out of initiative order since they go before me.) I feel extra triumph or advantage dice might end up being like combo team attacks in this game though... XD Which makes it cooler I think.
Oct 14, 2015 5:30 pm
My 6-2 was on page 212 -- but looking at giving a free maneuver I don't see that as an option (I only see that you can take a free maneuver with 2 advantage). I do see that you can add a boost die to any allied character's next check including your own -- and because it's "next check" initiative order wouldn't matter there.
Oct 14, 2015 5:43 pm
As a reminder to all players -- during your turn you can do:

1 maneuver
1 action

...for free. A maneuver is listed as:

* Moving to a new location within your range band or moving a range band.
* Readying or stowing a weapon or other item
* Using a stimpack
* Opening or closing a door, flipping a table over for cover, or otherwise interacting with the environment
* Aiming to gain a boost die (blue) on your next attack.
* Taking cover to give a Setback die (black) to all attacks against you until you leave cover or the situation changes
* etc.

An action is:

* make an attack
* activate a Force power
* use a skill
* take a second maneuver.

You can take a second maneuver at the cost of 2 strain (e.g. move, fire, then dive into cover -- or aim, fire then move). But you may not take more than 2 maneuvers in any round.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.