Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
Apr 29, 2019 9:00 pm
"That is so interesting!", Viani replies. "Is it weird to only be around unjoined, then? Or is it nice to have some peace and quiet? My family talks a lot and sometimes I'm glad to get away from them for some time alone. I imagine it would be the same if people keep pushing images into your head"
Apr 29, 2019 9:03 pm
And would you be able to pull something out of our heads if we let you?
Apr 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Yelnar will back away from the Ice thing, and hit it with his Bardiche as he goes.

Rolls

Attack w Power Attack - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Damage - (1d10+9)

(3) + 9 = 12

Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm
bowlofspinach says:
"That is so interesting!", Viani replies. "Is it weird to only be around unjoined, then? Or is it nice to have some peace and quiet? My family talks a lot and sometimes I'm glad to get away from them for some time alone. I imagine it would be the same if people keep pushing images into your head"
"It's..." Verrian hesitates, uncertain how honest she wants to be. This is a pretty forward line of questioning, and her feelings on the topic are complex. On the other hand, these people might quite well be the last people she'll be intimately acquainted with in her life; she might as well show them some trust.

"It's lonely. And it's... work. When you're accustomed to making yourself understood as easily as breathing, being reduced to communicating only with words is... exhausting. And you have to work harder to receive communication, too. You have so many fewer context clues to work with when you can only use words, tone of voice, and body language."
Last edited April 29, 2019 9:14 pm
Apr 29, 2019 9:15 pm
lavtodd says:
And would you be able to pull something out of our heads if we let you?
Verrian shakes her head. "No. With the unjoined, communication is strictly outgoing, not incoming. I can't hear your thoughts, even if I were to try."
Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm
[ +- ] heh
That sounds awful. So you're just in a fish bowl, then. Like you're always behind the wards.
Apr 29, 2019 9:27 pm
chunky04 says:
Yelnar will back away from the Ice thing, and hit it with his Bardiche as he goes.
The pillar of ice shatters into a cloud of icy splinters. Where they hit exposed skin, you can feel the sting of something extremely cold against you, but it melts away into nothingness quickly enough that it has no noticeable long-term effects.

As the pillar shatters, the frost lines on walls and floor pause in their tracks. Slowly, very slowly, they start to recede toward the room that once served as cold storage. And then, in a sudden mad rush, they all disappear back into that room, the door in becoming encased in ice. Almost like... they're hiding...?
Apr 29, 2019 9:29 pm
Verrian looks at Ember, smiling slightly. The girl certainly does come up with interesting insights. "Yes, that's fairly accurate. I like to think of it like this - with other Naucans, I have two types of hearing and two types of speech. When I'm only among the unjoined, I lose one of my senses of hearing, and my second type of speech is curtailed to just words. It's... claustrophobic, in a way."
Apr 29, 2019 10:15 pm
Yelnar asks Elora "Is there a way through this other than smashing it? I’m not sure it’s a trap, this used to be a cold storage room, it’s like it’s become alive somehow?"
Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm
Those outside with the cart hear a distant sound a bit like shattering glass coming from the small outbuilding Yelnar and Elora entered.
Apr 29, 2019 10:35 pm
Verrian looks up at the distant noise, cocking her head. "Shattering glass?" she mutters. "That seems... inappropriate." She frowns a little, then returns to pulling the cart into the courtyard.
Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm
Shouldn't we go check on them? Maybe something's wrong.
Apr 29, 2019 11:32 pm
Verrian shrugs. "I thought about it, but if they were in trouble, wouldn't they be shouting for help? This is Yelnar's home; I'd feel silly charging to the rescue only to find that he'd just accidentally broken a window or something."
Apr 30, 2019 12:11 am
chunky04 says:
Yelnar asks Elora "Is there a way through this other than smashing it? I’m not sure it’s a trap, this used to be a cold storage room, it’s like it’s become alive somehow?"
Elora stands back as the ice shatters, perplexed by the situation. "I don't recognize this magic, or it's properties. Could be alive, I think we scared it... She remains on guard, watching for any sudden changes.
OOC:
Any rolls applicable here, perhaps dungeoneering?
Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
OOC:
I’d take knowledge arcana. That’s probably about it. Remember knowledge skills require you to have at least one rank in them to make a roll.
Apr 30, 2019 3:55 am
OOC:
Yeah, thankfully I have that skill or I'd feel very silly.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Apr 30, 2019 4:40 am
Viani gets startled by the sound but Verrian's calm reaction to it relaxes her a bit again. If she thinks it's nothing dangerous, she's probably right.
Still, she takes out her ranseur from the back holder, taking her time because there's no immediate danger and she still hasn't figured out how to do it quickly.
"I can't imagine having another way to speak to people. It must be weird but probably also interesting. I hope we'll meet some Naucans out here so you can talk your way with them."
Apr 30, 2019 5:04 am
Elora, you’re not certain exactly what is going on. Whatever happened with this room, it seems to have become completely iced over. The door remains open, though it and (as far as you can see from here) the interior walls and floor have become encased in ice.
Apr 30, 2019 5:48 am
OOC:
...Damnit!
"This is...very strange. You've never seen it do this before?" Elora looks over the room whilst standing perfectly still, not wanting to trip on an icy floor.
Apr 30, 2019 7:10 am
"Definitely not..." Yelnar looks around, can he see any sign of a cache in here?
OOC:
MY impression is that we're in the room, with the door out currently enclosed in ice?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.