Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
Apr 30, 2019 1:59 pm
OOC:
No, you’re in the outbuilding but not in the storage room itself. The door into the storage room is open, but encased in ice, as are the walls and floor of that room. The frost came out of the room, came toward you, then receded back into the room when you smashed the ice pillar.
Apr 30, 2019 3:01 pm
Ember pauses, trying to do.....something with her favorite cantrip, but, having no success, she moves on.

It would be nice. So, are we camping here? It's only midday, but I do agree that we need to plan more before going to the Citadel. And we moved everything here. And we heard something shatter. And it's been a while since we've seen Yelnar and Elora.
Last edited April 30, 2019 3:09 pm
Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm
"Can we even afford to wait?" Viani sits down on the cart, legs dangling off the side. "If we want to find out more about Yelnar's mom, we have to get close to the Crows but this Eldemor said unless we join them this morning at the citadel, they'll attack us if we're not gone. If we want to talk peacefully with the Crows, we probably have to go as soon as possible, before they decide we rejected their offer."
Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm
Ember shakes her head.

You're right, but I've got a bad feeling they're looking for a fight anyway. Think about it. If they really do work for Disos, they'd surely recognize at least one of us is a caster. So they'd probably like to take us down either way.

Or they're total idiots.
OOC:
I realize this is a rough DC, but I'm going to try to see if I remember anything from that last conversation.

Rolls

Sense Motive +2 - Are the Crows setting a trap, serious about the threat, or talking a big game? - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Apr 30, 2019 3:21 pm
"I'm not a caster. At least not a real one. And neither is Verrian, or Yelnar. We could talk to them and say we're on their side.", Viani suggests. "Why would they offer to let us join them if they didn't mean it?"
Apr 30, 2019 3:30 pm
Ember sighs sadly. Because people lie, Viani. There's a thing some folk do where they say kind supporting things and give you "options," so when they act on what they really wanted to do all along, they can claim the high ground.
[ +- ] brain stuff
She shakes her head and counts her crossbow bolts as she walks away from the cart.

I'm gonna go hunt. I won't go far.
OOC:
Are there any burrows around?

Rolls

Nature +1 - Find Scrawny Food - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Apr 30, 2019 3:35 pm
"I know what lying is, Ember. I'm not a child. I'm just wondering what they would have to gain from lying to us about this!" Viani jumps down from the cart. "Do you mind if I join you? We wanted to go together, didn't we?"
Apr 30, 2019 4:09 pm
[ +- ] Argh.
And I simply told you what they have to gain. And sure. Power in numbers and all that, I guess.

She strolls off across the keep's gate to see what may lie behind it. She doesn't wait for Viani, but she doesn't rush, either.
Last edited April 30, 2019 4:14 pm
Apr 30, 2019 4:14 pm
Viani picks up the crossbow she was examining earlier as well as a quiver with bolts, then she hurries after Ember. She follows her and looks around for any traces of wild animals they could hunt but she doesn't speak. She has picked up on the fact that Ember seems to be annoyed at her for something again, just after she thought they had resolved their issues for the moment. Maybe Viani shouldn't have asked to come but she had thought it would be a fun activity for them as friends, not an awkward chore done in silence.

Rolls

Survival - Looking for animal tracks - (1D20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm
[ +- ] walking
Ember lets out a weary yell.

Find anything yet, Viani?
Last edited April 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Rolls

Secret Roll

Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to lavtodd
Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm
There are plenty of small animals to be found while hunting. Rabbits, squirrels, and similar creatures, mostly. Nothing larger than that, at least not during the day. You can pretty quickly find enough small game to feed the party for an evening.
Apr 30, 2019 5:01 pm
Ember used the crossbow a couple times, but tried to stay far enough away from Viani to use her frost more often. She does avoid killing any bunnies, gathering a healthy number of squirrels. A shot of ice to knock them out of the tree, a smack with the mace. There's something rhythmic and cathartic about it. She tries not to think too hard about the violence. The physical exertion and the small bursts of magic help her calm down. When she returns, she smiles.

Thanks for the help.
Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm
"I will go check on them then. You never know what they might encounter out here. Please, only hunt for survival and not for sport."

Krav, seemingly more dubious about the sound of shattering glass than the others, begins to make his way to the out-building where Elora and Yelnar have gone. He does not hurry however, but strolls somewhat casually, inspecting the grounds as he goes.
OOC:
I'm not even sure if a perception is called for here, but I'll roll one anyway.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Apr 30, 2019 6:13 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to kona
Apr 30, 2019 6:25 pm
Verrian watches the girls get into, inexplicably, yet another argument, then flounce off together to go hunting. She knows that she should have said something, but she's still feeling detached, and she's tired of playing referee for those two anyway.

Krav, apparently concerned about Yelnar and Elora, heads toward the storage building they saw them enter a short time ago.

She has a very unsettled feeling about the whole situation. So much doesn't make sense unless you take note of how astonishing a coincidence it is that Yelnar's family estate apparently stood for three years before being raided - and his mother kidnapped - just two or three weeks before Yelnar was released from Meriava to investigate.

Verrian turns to Froak, who has been strangely pensive since the discovery of all the bodies. "Froak, you spent time in the town where the Crows and Jug-Lovers live. You probably know things about the layout that we could use. You know the big castle structure in town? That's what they call the Citadel. What can you tell me about that, and the area around it?"
Apr 30, 2019 9:22 pm
Yelnar is still pondering what to do about the ice on the door beyond bashing it with his weapon when Keaveney walks in.

"Hi Krav, we have a bit of a maybe living Ice problem, any ideas?"
May 1, 2019 6:29 am
Ephwrath, who was also drawn by the strange sound of breaking glass, arrives a few moments after Krav. He looks to Yelnar with an excited look on his face, "Did you say ‘living ice’?"
May 1, 2019 6:48 am
Viani doesn't avoid shooting rabbits like Ember does. She notices the girl sneaking off occasionally to hunt with magic but, unwilling to start another argument, she doesnt say anything, although she thinks it's an unnecessary risk. What if someone sees her?
She returns together with Ember. "No need to thank me. It was fun doing something together with you." That last part is a lie. Viani had wanted it to be fun but with the tension between them, it wasn't really.
She puts the meat down on the ground by the cart and returns the weapons and ammo she borrowed back on it.
May 1, 2019 12:03 pm
Yelnar looks at Ephwrath and Krav, shrugs, points at the ice covered door and says "The pulses on the floor joined up, made a pillar and moved towards me, so I smashed it with my Bardiche, then it fled over there like it was alive. I’d like to get through but don’t want to just kill it if it’s alive.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.