Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Oct 29, 2015 9:00 pm
"Strange to most eyes, yes," says Aanbo. "But even though the land may be covered in grass or water, what lies beneath is the same."

Turning to the halfling, Aanbo politely declines the offered food, but does ask if there is water or hot tea available.
Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm
Taking the mug of ale, Quest perks up at the name Devane. "I am happy to take the stew and bread please. And who is Devane? We are eager to find work for our brave band, what should we expect from this person?"
Last edited October 29, 2015 9:23 pm
Oct 29, 2015 9:26 pm
Klak furrows his brow at Aanbo, clearly confused at how the conversation got where it did. "Um. Ok."
Oct 29, 2015 10:29 pm
I take a seat beside Quest and smile at the halfling, "I'll have an ale, something bitter if you have it, and a big bowl of hot stew." I glance around the inn and take in the sounds and smells. Odds are, we'll be hanging around this little town for a while and it's good to get accommodated with the inn, as I expect most of our time will be spent here.
Oct 31, 2015 1:11 am
The halfling hurries off to fulfil the orders. As he returns, he is accompanied by the human male, bringing some of the food and drink. https://gorancurcic.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/innkeeper-704650.jpg

He looks at you and beams, speaking to you in Imperial, with a strong Keolish accent. "I'm Devane Thornhill: Tap toll me there were atventurers here, and I wannit to see for miss elf. Welcome to moy Inn of Eternal Rest! Anythink I can do to make ya comfortable, lemme know! These Inn was founted by moy father, ant he used to be an atventurer, too! Most play-aces in Hochoch was cree-ated by atventurers, you know. We love atventurers here, they are like family!"
Oct 31, 2015 6:27 am
Thacogygax smiles at Devane and looks around at the motley gathering. Ever since the war he has never before felt truly comfortable or welcome. People have been kind to him but invariably he has felt merely tolerated, like people are only being polite but would really rather see him gone. Only Aanbo has been sincerely accepting of him, but even Thacogygax recognizes the dwarf is also an exile and strange by this world's standards. The fact that they don't belong has been the basis of their kinship. Even in solitude the land itself - the plants and wild beats, the very air - has felt alien and unwelcoming. But here at the Inn of Eternal Rest with these people it feels...right. Dare Thacogygax hope?
Oct 31, 2015 7:40 pm
https://gorancurcic.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/innkeeper-704650.jpg
Devane smiles, and asks: "So: what brings these group of atdevturers here to Hochoch?"
Oct 31, 2015 8:05 pm
Aanbo remains standing behind the group's table, hands clasped at his waist beneath the sleeves of his robes. He does not answer Devane, preferring to let the other outspoken members of the party speak on their behalf. And in the case of some of the more famished folk, eat.
Nov 1, 2015 7:11 am
"We are here at the behest of Cecily Raptor. Our mission is to establish a branch of her guild where adventurers may come and ply their trade and defend the simple folk from the terrors of this world. We seek fame, fortune and honors that befit the names we will make for ourselves."
As he speaks Quest's chest swells slightly. He appears truly dedicated to these words.
"Do you have deeds in need of doing my good sir?!"
Nov 1, 2015 3:32 pm
Klak nods along with Quest. Fame, fortune and honors sound right up his alley. "And battle -- one must ensure that we are giving our due to Clanggedin Silverbeard as the famed Bardagaskegg created the example before us."
Nov 1, 2015 4:04 pm
Ogbar raises his mug, "For battle, honor, and victory!" He toasts and then drains his mug. "Another, barman!"
Nov 1, 2015 4:14 pm
I take a sip of the ale, letting the liquid wash over my tongue and slosh around in my mouth before swallowing. A fine, well brewed ale has always been something I appreciated about visiting cities and towns. As Quest talks I smile and nod along, he seems very convicted, although I wonder if he's become more idealistic since I last met him. There are many warriors in our little band. Eager for battle and blood. I share in the toast and add, "Of course, we're happy to help with anything." I pause, then add, "And your ale is excellent. Please, give my regards to the brewmaster."
Nov 1, 2015 6:03 pm
As always happens, without meaning to, Thacogygax ruins the mood by speaking his mind in his strange, awkward speech, "Fought battles for decades, did I. War, half my life was. Happiest, if not another battle see I. As long as live I. Alas, this cannot be, know I. No other life there is, for one such. Strife. Yes."
Last edited November 2, 2015 6:42 am
Nov 1, 2015 6:13 pm
Ogbar takes a moment to sort out what Thacogygax said, and then replies, "Bah! When you fight for someone else it's different... We fight for our honor now, and our own glory. Nothing in this world is a greater reason than that!"
Nov 1, 2015 6:29 pm
I clear my throat, as if to excuse that I am about to speak, "Sorry. But, I just think, battles come with great cost. Creatures die, injuries are suffered, lives and the land are forever scarred. A blade should not be swung so lightly as for the sake of honor or glory. Fight when you must, and fight for a purpose greater than yourself." I start to sip my ale, then pause and quickly add, "At least, that's what I think."
Nov 1, 2015 7:55 pm
follsmask says:
"We are here at the behest of Cecily Raptor. Our mission is to establish a branch of her guild where adventurers may come and ply their trade and defend the simple folk from the terrors of this world. We seek fame, fortune and honors that befit the names we will make for ourselves."
As he speaks Quest's chest swells slightly. He appears truly dedicated to these words.
"Do you have deeds in need of doing my good sir?!"
https://gorancurcic.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/innkeeper-704650.jpg
Devane smiles broadly at this.
"Cecily! My grandfather, Wason Thornhill, atventured with her. They party cleared out the wild, which made the east road to Hookhill possible. We owe a lot to Cecily."

He is called away for a few moments, serving some other tables. Tap (the halfling) returns to your table several times, bearing freshly-filled mugs, bread, and bowls of stew, as the party discusses the relative merits of glory as a motive. After a few minutes more, Tap arrives with some nicely steeped tea for Aanbo, accompanied by a young gnome, whom he introduces to Sara. "This is Jerek, our brewer." The gnome blushes, and shakes his head. "No, the brewer's my father; I'm just his assistant. Maybe you've heard of him: Maul Goodbody?" (folks can do a history check if they wish)

Having fulfilled everyone else's orders for the moment, Devane returns with the woman, speaking to her in Keolish. Then he resumes in his accented Imperial: "I was just explaining Soraya my wife to about your boss is Cecily. These wondered if we have any jobs for atventurers..."

http://www.outfit4events.cz/runtime/cache/images/productFull/mna_1319.jpg

Devane's wife Soraya smiles and says hello to you all. The men unloading the wagon drop a cask, which splits with a loud CRACK! Devane rushes off to help. She looks fondly after him, then looks pointedly at Tap, who starts and returns to his work, checking in at the other tables. Then she turns back to the group. She speaks Imperial with a northern accent like some of you.
"Jerek is too modest; he does a wonderful job as our brewer, even if his father's name is still on the sign." Jerek grins and does a little bow. "As for adventure...well, half of this town are retired adventurers, and the other half like Devane are descended from them. Our town wouldn't exist without Cecily; the elf is a legend around these parts. Things have been pretty quiet since The War, however." She pauses, for a moment. "I do hear that there's been some trouble on the east road, though. Some of the traders have returned with weird stories about Orlane. I could introduce you, or point you in their direction, if you like."
Nov 1, 2015 11:46 pm
Aanbo accepts the tea with thanks. He sips the cup, listening to the conversation quietly.
Nov 2, 2015 12:31 am
"No doubt young Master Jerek will be a worthy successor to his father's legacy. As for trouble on the roads, that is exactly the type of news we are interested in . Please, good woman , if you would introduce us that would be a kindness."
Last edited November 2, 2015 12:32 am
Nov 2, 2015 12:33 am
Ogbar perks up at the mention of trouble, listening intently to the woman's explanation.
Nov 2, 2015 6:04 am
Soraya points out a couple of people at the Inn.
While pointing to a human with a long face nursing an antiquated horn of drink: "That sour-looking fellow is Victor "Blackguard" Wilson. Don't let his looks fool you; he's quite a nice fellow. His cousin was living in Orlane until recently, so he probably has some news."

While pointing to a vivacious young woman in the midst of a laughing group: "That's Lienne Vereel; she manages to keep tabs on everything that's happening anywhere."

and then she points to one of the men inspecting the broken cask with Devane. "Kons Gradeskej deals with all the merchants in the region; last week he talked to a trader who returned from Orlane unexpectedly. There's also Jobram Dantavy, but I expect he's over at the Cube this time of day..."

She smiles at each of you. "If you talk to any of them, just let them know Soraya sent you...except for - well, it doesn't matter. My name opens doors. But for now, enjoy your meal and drink. If you need a place to stay, our rooms are dry and comfortable. And now, please excuse me..." Soraya saunters over to another table, and then proceeds to Lienne's table, where she is greeted with a glad cry from the many young people there.

Jerek clears his throat and leans forward conspiratorially. "I heard that they're having problems with giant crocodiles. So close to the Rushmoors as Orlane is, it's not a surprise."

Rolls

Ooh: secret

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.