Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 2, 2015 6:49 am
Thacogygax recognizes he had caused what sounded like an argument. He shakes his head mournfully. Back home he had always been the funny, lighthearted one. Decades of slavery and war had changed him. Add to that his difficulty with the language, and of course just his alien-ness, often caused...difficulties. He phrases his question as carefully as possible, "Croc-dyles...what are, please?"
Nov 2, 2015 7:41 am
Jerek blinks at this, translating the syntax. He's used to people with varying speech patterns, however, and he quickly elaborates: "Crocodiles are giant lizards with heads like dragons, full of teeth. They wait to jump at prey from the water, then pull them in and tear them to shreds." Jerek seems to have the typical rocking-chair warrior's fascination with deadly things that people who never risk their lives seem to develop.

But, if there are no further questions about man-eating beasts or gruesome death, he will change the subject to talk about all the flavors, aromas and additives one can detect in different ales and lagers, and whether ester or butterscotch is preferable for different holidays. If not interrupted, Jerek shows no sign of stopping his talk about beer, likely lapsing into a dull tale about yeast cultures and/or ideas he has for distillation.
Nov 2, 2015 8:15 am
Once, Thacogygax would have jested with a chuckle that this description of crocodiles describes him perfectly! For fear of being misinterpreted again he simply nods silently. Ogbar is right, there is honor in fighting for what one believes in or holds dear. Fame and fortune, these are fine things. But freedom! Yes, Thacogygax would fight for freedom. Freedom from from chains, freedom from fear, freedom from injustice. Freedom for all.

"Freedom to brew ale!" Thacogygax blurts out unexpectedly, turning confused heads. He raises his tankard sheepishly to cover his outburst.
Last edited November 2, 2015 9:15 am
Nov 2, 2015 8:53 am
I raise my ale and smile at Thacogygax, "I'll drink to that!" I clank my tankard against his, and take a hearty drink. I then return to listening and discussing ale's and brewing with Jerek. Distillation and brewing has always been something that fascinated me, but duties and obligations to the natural world kept me from ever doing more than enjoying a variety of brews and having curious conversations with skilled brewmasters and expert beer drinkers.
Nov 2, 2015 1:45 pm
Chuckling at the outburst, Ogbar will lift his mug and clank it against Thacogygax's. He will then drain his mug and call for another.
Nov 2, 2015 3:41 pm
"Master Jerek, it has been a pleasure to meet you and I wish you and your father all the success this world has to give you. I apologize though, my desire to hear the tale directly from those who have seen the trouble first hand bids me to speak with them. Please, be well, and look for Une again. Perhaps a I will have tales to share when next we greet each other!" Quest moves off to introduce himself to (one of the merchants) mentioned by the inn keeper's wife.
Nov 2, 2015 3:43 pm
Wanting to hear the tale for himself, Ogbar will stand, grab another mug of ale and follow this strange Quest fellow.
Nov 2, 2015 4:23 pm
Aanbo now sits at one of the vacated chairs at the table, next to Thacogygax. He listens to the brewmaster with genuine attention, fascinated by the science involved. Indeed, Jerek's commitment to the craft is remarkable and Aanbo can easily understand it to be the gnome's "way," similar to his own as a monk.
Nov 2, 2015 5:24 pm
Quest recalls that Soraya pointed out the following people:
- "Blackguard" Wilson (whose cousin was in Orlane), drinking by himself
- Lienne Vereel (news monger), in a crowd of laughing people
- Kons Gradeskej (spoke with a trader), who is unloading a wagon in the courtyard

She also mentioned Jobram Dantavy, who is probably at the local tavern.

Which did you want to talk to first?
Nov 2, 2015 7:01 pm
Quest approached "Blackguard" Wilson. He brings another ale to offer as apology for disturbing him should it be needed.

"Greetings sir. My name is Quest Damoran, my compatriots and I are looking to set up shop as adventurers for higher, with the intention of protecting the fine folk of the area. We have heard tell of trouble on the road to Orlane. We understand you have family there, and might have heard of the troubles first hand. Would you be willing to tell us what you know so we might begin our work as soon as possible.?"
Sorry, I wanted to put that in before but got distracted with other business
Nov 2, 2015 8:26 pm
http://www.internet.is/baldurs/asatru-man%20drinks.jpg

Victor "Blackguard" Wilson is a blond man in his mid-30s with receding hair and large chin whiskers, drinking from a horn of ale. He nods Quest and Ogbar to a seat with a dour expression.
"My cousin Svall lived in Orlane until a few months ago. He moved to Hookhill with his family then, and I helped him pack up his stuff. He wouldn't say why they were moving, at first."
Blackguard takes another long draught and licks his lips.
"I kept asking him, and he told me..." Victor leans forward and lowers his voice "...that a huge creature with many heads was appearing at night and stealing children! Svall didn't want his children taken, so he's moved away. Svall was the last family I had in the area. It's lonely here, living on your own."

There's a chuckle, and you see that Lienne Vereel has joined your table.
http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/franco/49186-main.jpg
"It's especially lonely when the widow Mathilda doesn't accept your advances, Victor!" She turns to you both. "I hear that you're asking about Orlane. What I heard was that there's something wrong with the water. Some people say it just went bad, but others think it was deliberate...some kind of poison. The people there have been acting funny lately, that's for sure. It's too bad, because the poisoned water is throwing off trade; Orlane has provided all the best fruit for Hochoch for years, and now other peaches and pears don't satisfy. Nobody dares to try food grown with poisoned water. Someone should definitely figure out what's happened to the water and clean up the mess. Is that why you're here? As adventurers?"

Rolls

Another secret!

Secret

Nov 3, 2015 12:39 am
"Indeed it is ma'am. We seek our fortunes and the safety of folk such as yourselves. Tales such as the three we have heard tonight. We shall set out to right these threats as soon as we can. Pray tell, Master Wilson, could you lead us to your cousin's former homestead, or provide directions we might follow on a map? "

Turning Toth's woman, "And ma'am, I doubt not that you are telling us the tale as you have heard it, but I must ask, why are people still in Orlane if the water is all bad, or how do they get fresh water is perhaps the proper question.
Nov 3, 2015 12:48 am
Ogbar perks up at the mention of a two-headed beast to slay, then sighs in disappointment when he hears about the fruit and water, can nothing be as simple as it seems?

"Sensible people move on when the food and water are gone," he says firmly, "there must be something else wrong there to keep them."
Nov 3, 2015 1:06 am
Blackguard, scowling at Lienne, nods and turns back to Ogbar and Quest. "The east road to Hookhill passes right through Orlane; it's four days' hike from here, two days further to the Gran March border, and 'nother three days to Hookhill." Lienne nods, as she memorizes interesting details about your appearance. Blackguard continues: "You've got the Dim Wood to the north - plenty of monsters in the deep places there - and the Rushmoors to the south. The east road - Cecily's road, some call it - goes through the edge of the Dim and into a valley on the other side - that's where Orlane is. That's about the all of it." He takes another long pull on his horn and then waves to Tap to refill it. "That'll get you there. My cousin's farm was on the east end of town, just north of the road. Little farmhouse with green shutters, if someone else hasn't moved in and repainted them." He squints at you both, and then smiles. "Best of luck to you. I do miss those Orlane grapes. Be glad to get those again. If you are the sort who want an actual map, well, you'd best talk to Leeson Gatloc at the Book."
Nov 3, 2015 4:10 am
Klak has a hard time keeping all the names straight. He does note that Orlane seems to be the place. "It's all well and good to know where's trouble and that we can go fight it. But we're going to need supplies if we're to be based here long term, and won't we need a place to stay that's more eco.. eco.. costs less than an inn?"
Nov 3, 2015 8:51 am
Aanbo remains seated, listening to both Sara and Jerek discuss brewing. He nods occasionally, inwardly finding some familiarity between the pair's experiences and his own philosophies. It is almost meditative, listening the gnome and ranger converse.
Nov 3, 2015 10:10 am
Thacogygax doesn't know what to do next. There seems to be plenty of trouble in the area that needs looking into and some of his companions have gone off to gather news or gossip. But Thacogygax has grown accustomed to taking his cues from Aanbo, and here is the dwarf, taking his leisure. Perhaps Aanbo thinks the others would have an easier time with the locals without Thacogygax to put them off. Yes, that must be it. Thacogygax decides to explore the town on his own. Standing up slowly, he excuses himself "Excuse I..please." and heads for town, intending to walk aimlessly about.
Last edited November 3, 2015 10:11 am
Nov 3, 2015 7:24 pm
Thacogygax wanders about, and sees a fair amount of activity. The town is a small one, with a short wall built around an older section (he finds himself calculating the best angle to breach the wall and stops himself - old habits die hard) and newer homes, businesses and a temple outside the walls. A bridge spans the river to the east, which then starts the East Road. Roads lead north and west on this side of the river.

After a bit of walking, Thacogygax notices a female and her young staring at him. He at first thinks that they are reviling him, but then one of the hatchli...children comes over and says "You're so shiny! Are your scales wet?" The mother comes forward, embarrassed. "Please excuse Nyomba - she's never seen a blue dragonborn before!"
Nov 3, 2015 7:38 pm
"Master Klak you are of course correct. Perhaps we should ask about an old barn or storehouse someone might spare. But in the mean time I suggest we head outside and hear the rest of the news of Orlane. There is Merchant Gradesklej still. Once we have the full picture we can decide which leads seem most promising and which are travelers' fancy. We have a week of travel there and back, and more to deal with the actual threat. If we put the word out that we seek such lodgings on our return we may find ourselves with a roof over our heads and a bed to call our own by the time we return. How does that strike you?"
Nov 3, 2015 8:52 pm
Ogbar is getting impatient to be on the road to adventure (and battle). He waits for Quest to lead the way to speak to this merchant fellow. "We'll find a place to stay, even if it's under the open sky," he says to Klak.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.