Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 1, 2016 12:34 am
*thumbs up emoji*

But cast spell now, then re-learn it before morning, no?
Last edited February 1, 2016 12:36 am
Feb 1, 2016 2:31 am
Satisfied that she has successfully sold out her cousin to his enemies, Patlen returns home. Felor casts a spell of magic detection on the gold coins, but despite her warnings, the coins appear to be mundane, bearing no enchantments.

The party sleeps until first light, then leaves Beerpool by the north trail to the Hazard Road.

After walking a few hours, the Headlee watchtower -- the one the younger Jeb Tuell fell to his death from, presumably -- can be seen in the distance. While still more of a village than a proper town, Headlee is about three times as large as Beerpool, with a bigger, less decrepit octagonal holy house, a new-looking windmill, and a three-story inn.

The merchant wagons you saw on the road ahead of you pass by Headlee without stopping, but the ass-drawn peddler's cart stops to tie up in front of the inn. Three young women wash clothes in the stream that runs through the village under the shade of an oak tree, talking and laughing loudly.
Feb 1, 2016 2:57 am
We cast detect magic *before* leaving Beerpool, right? And I would assume if the gold is cursed or what have you, we would have found a way to dispose of it/use it in Beerpool before leaving

"So... a wagon ride to Grine's Knot. That's what we're here for, yeah?" Leth asks the group as they approach the village limits.
Feb 1, 2016 3:13 am
Yes, Detect Magic was cast in the Beerpool inn.
Feb 1, 2016 3:32 am
"And hopefully info about Zora and exactly where she was headed. Let's see if there is anyone in the common room that spoke to her."

Mordred heads into the Inn, hood concealing his identity as much as possible. First thing, he looks for any rangers, or anyone who might arrange guides.
Last edited February 1, 2016 3:33 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 1, 2016 4:14 am
Just a reminder, Zora was seen in Grine's Knot, but not in Headlee as far as any of you know.

The tavern at the inn (a sign depicting crossed streams suggests the name of the establishment) is fairly quiet at this midmorning hour. You follow the peddler in to see the barkeeper sweeping the floor while a pair of patrolmen share a breakfast at a corner table. The peddler seats himself and asks the barkeeper for a slice of pudding and a cup of milk, which the barkeeper acknowledges with a grunt. He makes a point of sweeping for a moment longer, then heads behind the bar.
Feb 1, 2016 7:22 am
Zangua follows along, letting the others lead the way. He eyes the counter where the barkeep has gone.
Feb 1, 2016 9:36 am
Quote:
But cast spell now, then re-learn it before morning, no?
As a Cleric I can prepare a limited selection of spells after a long rest, then cast spells (the same one more than once if I want) as many times as I have spell slots. Since I hadn't prepared Detect Magic before we reached Beerpool I needed the rest to be able to prepare it. But now I've done that I have it available even after using it on the money.

So, ask around about Zora or just make haste to find a ride to Grine's Knot?
PBO - are there any stores of any kind in Headlee?
Last edited February 1, 2016 9:50 am
Feb 1, 2016 1:27 pm
BullOctorok says:
Just a reminder, Zora was seen in Grine's Knot, but not in Headlee as far as any of you know.
Oh, yeah. Oops.
notinventedhere says:
As a Cleric I can prepare a limited selection of spells after a long rest, then cast spells (the same one more than once if I want) as many times as I have spell slots.
Oh yeah. My brain still thinks in 2e sometimes. Heck, I still call them Magic-Users.

I wouldn't mind asking around, but I worry that the patrolmen might be on alert for travellers matching our description. I'd suggest heading to Grine's Knot as soon as possible. Maybe someone else can ask the barkeeper about hiring a wagon?
Last edited February 1, 2016 1:40 pm
Feb 1, 2016 5:10 pm
There are stores in Headlee: there's a grain and feed store, a general store, a smith, and the peddler's cart.

Were someone (Mordred or otherwise) to inquire with the barkeep, he would suggest that any of what wagons as pass through Headlee would probably be willing to give a ride to travelers, were a reasonable offer of compensation made.
Feb 1, 2016 6:11 pm
Mordred sidles up to the peddler's cart, looking for dungeoneering supplies in general and extra lantern oil in particular. If the peddler seems friendly, and not too put off by Mordred's appearance, he will start up a generic conversation. "How is business in these parts?" or similar. He keeps an eye on the road for any wagons large enough to hold the party heading in the direction of Grine's Knot.

EDIT: He will also look for a supply of chalk and some torches or candles.

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Last edited February 1, 2016 6:16 pm
Feb 1, 2016 6:19 pm
So... did Detect Magic reveal any enchantment on the coins? lol

Leth will inquire with the barkeep for the info previously provided and also get some breakfast. (Still morning? And how much would that cost him?)
Feb 1, 2016 6:58 pm
The peddler, a short, bug-eyed fellow with slicked-back hair, looks somewhat alarmed by Mordred's appearance but makes an effort to converse normally. "Business? Business is good. Never a lack for custom on the Hazard Road, heh. I deal in seeds, medicines, waybreads, and votives. Happy to show you my stock, if you're interested."

Chalk, torches, and candles can be found at the general store for PHB prices.

Detect Magic did not detect any magic on the coins.

It's still morning. Breakfast will run you between 1 copper and 2 silver pieces, depending on how much food you get. The specialty of the house, breakfastwise, seems to be a savory bread pudding served cold.
Feb 1, 2016 10:36 pm
Vad will peruse the general store, not really looking for anything in particular, just to pass the time until everyone is ready to leave.
Feb 1, 2016 10:49 pm
"Show me what you have for medicines, please. My companions and I may be heading into some danger and I suspect we may be hurting when we come out of it. I'll also take 3 days worth of waybread, if you tell me what you know of Grine's Knot and the Badgerways."
Feb 1, 2016 11:07 pm
While walking to the general store, Vad sees a large ox-wagon rolling westward down the road.

The peddler stuffs the rest of his pudding in his mouth and beckons Mordred to follow him outside. "The waybread is the true elven-made sort, not the cheap imitations those unscrupulous city bakers try to sell you! It comes from Engol over the sea, each slice individually wrapped in wax-cloth and enough to sustain you for a full day of labor or travels." He unlocks the cart and starts pulling out the drawers and swing-out racks laden with his goods. "As for medicine, what ails you? Sour stomach? Damp lungs? Headaches? Enervated masculinity? Whatever it is, I'm sure I have something for it..."
Feb 1, 2016 11:56 pm
Stopping when he sees the wagon Vad turns on the spot. With a large smile on his face and hands in his pockets he'll approach the wagon and call out to the driver. "Fine morning to you!"
OOC:
Just trying to see if he can start up a conversation with the driver/leader of the oxen.

Rolls

Perception (approachable?) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 2, 2016 12:01 am
The two men driving the wagon give Vad the side-eye as he approaches. One of them nods to acknowledge the greeting.
Feb 2, 2016 12:12 am
"A few friends and I are looking for some transport. Wouldn't be interested in earning a few coins and some extra protection during your trip, would ya?"

Vad will take a quick peek around to see if he can draw the attention of any of the other members of the group.
load next

Thread locked