1.1 - Nixing the Sixers

Feb 2, 2016 3:27 pm
http://nichegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ShadowrunHongKongAttack.png

Entering the neighborhood of the Southern Ward, this area of San Waterdeep has become little more than poorly managed low-income housing units. Gangs have prevailed here as Peacekeeper presence has always been low. When the Sixers came to rise here the Peacekeeper presence dwindled even further. The people who call this place home range from those who simply can't afford a better life for their families, or those that extort others for money or power.

As the van rolls into the neighborhood you instantly start to see Sixer thugs. You can tell them apart because they all have some sort of green clothing item on them to denote the gangs color. They all seem to openly carry small firearms and you have yet to see a single peacekeeper for a little while now. There are few that seem to be out on the streets outside of the Sixers, and probably for good reason.

Nimbus chimes in over comms, May I advise keeping the doors locked and the windows rolled up, I do believe you've entered the 'rough' part of town. We are still several blocks from the warehouse the Sixers call home, so discretion is key.

An audible notification chime flashes into all of your comm devices. Nimbus chimes in again, I've just received a message from Daemon as well, he says his two associates will meet us near the facility whenever we are ready.
Feb 2, 2016 4:44 pm
Breecha brings up the map on his HUD and reviews the most inconspicuous route to the warehouse factory.
Feb 2, 2016 4:46 pm
The most inconspicuous route is to keep on the road you are currently on. Follow it 4 blocks over and about 10 blocks up. Once within proximity of the warehouse, however, you may start to become more and more conspicuous. Chances are they will have guards or patrols.
Feb 2, 2016 4:57 pm
OOC:
Did our initial study of the topography and surrounding area reveal any advantageous lookout points? Ideally within the "inconspicuous zone" that we could park, where the rest of us observe while Mack and/or Preserver venture further on foot?
Last edited February 2, 2016 4:58 pm
Feb 2, 2016 5:23 pm
Nimbus chimes in once more, I've found a building that may assist in our reconnaissance. Just to the southwest of the warehouse is a rundown apartment block. If we can gain roof access here we would have a perfect vantage point from above that wouldn't be too conspicuous. Looking over the buildings systems I don't see any electronically controlled locks to the roof, so you may be looking at the old fashion tumbler style lock. Also just be careful about drawing too much attention to yourself, but it's at least far enough away you could slip by unnoticed.
Feb 3, 2016 7:48 am
"That sounds like a good plan. Let's move in there. While you guys take to the roof I will make my way in. As a rat, I think. Or should it be a dog...some kind of mutt breed?
Feb 3, 2016 2:32 pm
You are able to make your way casually to the apartment block. You park around back.
Feb 3, 2016 3:36 pm
Breecha offers to stay in the van, believing his appearance would be highly noticeable.
Feb 3, 2016 3:45 pm
Nimbus cuts into Breecha's comm lines, Hey rust bucket, if you would like to be helpful you can try and hack your way into some of the Sixer's systems. Maybe we could find some dirt on their computers or something?
OOC:
If you would like you can try and infiltrate the Sixer's network via RAIN interaction. If you direct connect to it you can actually float around in the digital representation of San Waterdeep and try to infiltrate their base. I should have a whole wiki section on using Rain with a direct connection.

RAIN Usage Page

Make sure to read the last few sections from "Being Booted" on if you want to direct connect with RAIN.
Feb 3, 2016 4:02 pm
Breecha's processors aren't built for such intense computations. He will try reasonably-safe networking through public security cameras, incident reports, or anything else one might find with the right search queries. Delving deeper beneath the layers may prove much more difficult for a unit designed for combat.

Rolls

Intelligence - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Feb 3, 2016 4:48 pm
Preserver pops the door open slightly, so he can slip out when he is ready. Then he concentrates. In an instant, parts of his robotic frame fold in on them self. A low whir and clicks accompany the transformation. Folding to less than half his size, Preserver takes the form of a giant rat, but still has white armor plating and glowing blue cybernetic muscles. Then the bio printers kick in. Fur sprouts quickly, brown for his muscles, black where the plating used to be. Then he slips out of the cracked door and makes his way to the Sixers hideout.
OOC:
Relevant stat changes: AC 13, HP 7 Str 7, Dex 15, Con 11, Mental stats stay the same. Darkvision 60ft. Keen Smell: advantage on Perception skill related to smell. All equipment melded into rat form.

Rolls

Stealth roll to approach Hideout - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Feb 3, 2016 7:21 pm
"Leave the hacking to the pros, my friend."

Kessel closes his eyes and drops his consciousness directly into the city's neural network.

Soundtrack.

Rolls

RAIN interaction (direct connection) - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Feb 3, 2016 7:43 pm
Breecha starts paging through data of any publicly available camera feeds, and data networks to see what he can see. Unfortunately he isn't able to discern much more than the group already knows about these Sixers.

Preserver's transformation is incredibly lifelike and he is now completely indistinguishable from an organic lifeform. He is able to find a small enough gap in the perimeter of the warehouses surrounding walls. He slips in unnoticed by any of the patrolling Sixer guards. The warehouse lies ahead about 30 feet. You see a place you could scramble up to reach some open upper floor windows.
OOC:
If you want to climb up to the windows you will need to make an Athletics or Acrobatics check, DC 10. Otherwise you could do a perception check to look for another entrance to the facility.
As these two go about their tasks, Kessel drops into RAIN and the city blocks become aglow with large blocks representing the buildings and systems. Public lines show as tracers running through the air with data pulsing through them. As he moves through the simulation he finds the large blocky structure of the Sixer warehouse. He is easily able to slice his way into their warehouses structure. This looks sort of like his avatar slicing a hole in the wall of the warehouse that he steps through. The hole seals behind him, but unless caught, he can slip back and forth through here without notice.
OOC:
It's free to drop into a direct connection for RAIN, but I'll take your roll as your first hack to get into the warehouses secure network. You will need to do perception as well to see what systems you can try and breech next. The perception check doesn't actually have a chance of failure or tipping anyone off, just sees what is around that you could try to hack.
Feb 3, 2016 8:16 pm
Kessel looks around the virtual space, feeling out the system's nooks and crannies...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Feb 3, 2016 8:23 pm
Kessel's keen sense for securities and systems finds several systems that could be vulnerable to breach.

- Perimeter cameras
- Internal cameras
- Electric locks
- Sensitive Information storage systems
- Internal securities systems

You even find that the old fire extinguishing water system still seems to be hooked up and accessible. In a building this old it was probably an oversight on the Sixer's part when they moved in.

With his check he is also able to tag patrolling sentry locations on the group's HUD displays. You can now see them as floating red orbs, even through walls. These pings are showing the location of moving RAIN connected weapons within the warehouse.
OOC:
Slicing into any of these systems would be another RAIN check to gain access. DC 10.
Feb 3, 2016 9:01 pm
Tracking his team's location, Kessel attempts to override relevant systems as they are encountered if they pose hindrances. He is surprised to find information storage servers housed in this warehouse and is tempted sorely tempted to take a peek but saves it for later.

"Guys, I have no access to perimeter cameras, so stay sharp out there. I have control of internal camera systems, and all electtric locks. Gimme a sec to override the internal security systems...oh damn."
OOC:
I get double proficiency on these hacks, correct?
Last edited February 3, 2016 9:05 pm

Rolls

Hacking perimeter cameras - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Hacking internal cameras - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Hacking electric locks - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Hacking internal security - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Hacking perimeter cameras (2nd pass) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Feb 3, 2016 9:07 pm
OOC:
Correct, direct connection into the RAIN network gains you double proficiency bonus on checks.
Kessel's first run at the perimeter camera system fails and sends feedback into his avatar. He loses 1 of his 5 RP. Deviating from that system he slices into the internal camera streams. He is able to send the current camera feeds to his party members, and feed a looped video back into the Sixer's view. They won't be able to see people inside the warehouse through these cameras.

He flips over to the lock system and pops the electronic locks within the building, doors are now unlocked. Systems are still reporting locked doors to the Sixers.

As he jumps over to internal security he gets hit with a powerful feedback shock as a signal is sent along and blue glowing spider looking AI starts crawling the lines of the base looking for the malfunction in internal securities. Kessel makes one more attempt at the perimeter cameras but gets hit with another feedback shock and can't gain access to the systems.
OOC:
When you enter RAIN directly you have 5 RP, if you lose them all you are forcefully booted from the system and will take some damage. If you disconnect with 1 RP left you will also take a small amount of damage, but not as much. The failure with the perimeter cameras wasn't enough to set off any system alarms. You can try with the Perimeter cameras again if you would like.

EDIT: So you took 1 from the first failure, a crit failure cost you 2 RP, and you took another from the second attempt failure. So you are down to 1 of 5RP. If you disconnect now you take 1d4 damage. If you take one more hit you take 1d4 per character level of damage. If you disconnect now the systems spiders won't find you, but they will discover the hack attempt on internal system and a system wide audit may occur. It will take them time to find any other issues with the system, so your current hacks will remain in effect.

You could try and hack the internal system one more time to cancel the system search, but you won't actually gain access to the system, and you risk taking another hack fail.
Feb 3, 2016 9:43 pm
"C'mon, baby...."

Rolls

One big hack - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Feb 3, 2016 9:50 pm
Working as quickly as he can Kessel loads a data packet with a false scan report he injects it into the internal securities system. It spreads down the line and hits the crawling spiders. A moment later they disappear and the internal securities system reads no anomalies detected once more.
OOC:
You may not have gained access to the system but you did manage to stop any further scans, so you are safe to move about the simulation still.
Feb 3, 2016 10:35 pm
Kessel is sweating profusely now from the strain. He tries another run at the internal security systems.

"Got it. I have full control. You're good to go."
Last edited February 3, 2016 10:38 pm

Rolls

Hack - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

load next

Thread locked