Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Jul 23, 2016 4:10 am
OOC:
nice :-)
Jul 23, 2016 4:39 am
Xora looks worse-off than Kama, so the half-orc rests his hand upon her shoulder. It starts as a gesture of thanks for bringing him back to life, yet there is a warm green glow from Kama's palm as he extends his intent for Xora's well-being, healing a bit of her injuries.

"Black Spider," he says for the benefit of all, "is the one that sent that bugbear after Gundren, as well as hooked up Glasstaff with some help over at Phandalin. I don't know if this Spider fella is here, actually. I guess we'll find out."
OOC:
Lay on Hands for 5 HP to Xora.
Jul 25, 2016 5:46 am
OOC:
Does Stormsong know Phandalin? I can read earlier threads if necessary.
Jul 25, 2016 5:51 am
Stormsong hums to himself, "Black Spider and Bugbears and Gundren and Glasstaff...dwarves held in castles, hobgoblins cause mischief...", then excitedly jots down something in a small parchment book.
"so, we're here to rescue a dwarf...what's the plan? Into the breech?"
Last edited July 25, 2016 5:53 am
Jul 25, 2016 6:12 am
"Honestly, I don't know," admits Kama. "We're just following a lead that our friend is held captive. It's not like I've been here before."

The half-orc steps to the door in the wall and tries to listen for hint of activity. "We cleared out a goblin den using a lot of loud words and bluster. Somehow I don't think that will work against this bunch." Kama tests the door to see if it is unlocked.
Jul 25, 2016 11:32 am
"Check their pockets for anything useful. I'll look ahead." Staying close to the walls in an attempt to hide my approach, I continue to scout the perimeter, listening for anything out of the ordinary.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Perception - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Jul 25, 2016 1:11 pm
OOC:
Stormsong will know of Phandalin. It's a small town off to the southeast of Neverwinter
Jul 25, 2016 5:07 pm
Kama steps away from the door and checks the bodies of the fallen hobgoblins. Perhaps one of them has a key, or some type of intelligence that will make things easier.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm
Stormsong will assist Kama in searching the fallen foes.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm
Stormsong will assist Kama in searching the fallen foes.
OOC:
oops...sorry about the duplicate
Last edited July 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm
Kama finds 25 silver and 12 gold on the Hobgoblins, but nothing else.

In the room that the hobgoblins came out of (Northwest corner) you find four plain straw pallets and bedrolls are lined up on the floor of this barracks. Brackets on the walls hold a number of weapons - spears, swords, morningstars, and more. The north wall shows signs of damage, but the floor is swept clean of rubble.

Making her way around the castle, a little ways to the East Xora finds a canvas covering part of a broken tower (North Center). This tower has almost completely collapsed, although the ground floor still has a little open space. Rotting crates and ancient barrels show that provisions were once stored here. A heavy curtain blocks a crumbling area to the south, and an intact door leads east.

Continuing her way around, she doesn't find another entrance until she reaches the door on the south side of the building.

Further along she finds that the southwest tower of the castle is little more than a heap of rubble. Several ragged bedrolls are scattered across the remaining floor space, and a small, twisting passage leads east through the ruins.

On the West side a short flight of steps leads up to a terrace in front of the main entryway. Past the wreckage of a pair of sundered doors lies a shadowed hall. Round towers loom over the entranceway, with dark arrow slits looking down on the terrace.
OOC:
All of this is assuming that Xora merely scouted the outside and didn't enter.
http://i.imgur.com/vowm2p3.jpg
Jul 25, 2016 6:36 pm
When I get back to the others, I draw a basic map of the perimeter and note entrances and areas to potentially slip in undetected. "I don't like the open spaces. I will be unable to provide any cover should we run into... problems..."
Jul 25, 2016 6:52 pm
Kama pockets the coins for later distribution. When Xora returns from her scouting mission, he asks, "What do you think, Xora? Which is the best way to get inside?"
Jul 25, 2016 9:43 pm
While the others were looking through the corpses, the forest gnome looked around for a small creature to communicate with.
Last edited July 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Rolls

Perception (for Speak with Small Beasts) - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jul 26, 2016 6:03 pm
After studying the map, Stormsong grows quiet in thought. After a moment, he asks Xora, "Do you believe that the canvas was meant to conceal or camouflage an opening? Greater care is taken to hide that which is valuable. If not," he laughs, "there is always the ancient wisdom that says, 'guards guard stuff'!"
Jul 26, 2016 6:16 pm
OOC:
To Xora, it did appear that they were trying to conceal the opening.
Jul 26, 2016 6:27 pm
"Yes, it is clear that is its purpose."
Jul 26, 2016 6:33 pm
"Then I humbly suggest we investigate there. If you prefer to look behind the curtain, I could attempt an illusion makes the curtain appear to still be in place, while we take a peek -- can anyone see in the dark?"
OOC:
Would minor illusion work for this?
Jul 26, 2016 6:40 pm
"Huh. So you're saying if they meant to hide it, it must be worth checking out?" asks Kama, rubbing his chin. "I'm down with that. Lemme hide some of these hobbos, first."

The half-orc attempts to hide the hobgoblin bodies, pulling them around to the base of the exterior wall, below sight of the arrow slit.

"I can see fine in the dark," he replies to the goliath's question. "Xora and Gimblyn, too. Actually, I don't think we've been using any torch since we've been in the woods. The druid might get mad, if you know what I mean."
Last edited July 26, 2016 6:42 pm
Jul 26, 2016 6:54 pm
OOC:
Minor illusion can fill a 5 foot cube at most, so you couldn't likely reproduce the whole canvas, but you could probably use it to make about half of it appear as you want
load next

Thread locked