Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Oct 7, 2016 6:26 pm
Xora expertly leads the group in the direction that the mouse pointed them in and in almost no time you find what you're looking for. The faint smell of smoke hangs on the air as you ascend a rugged ridge on the lower slopes of the hill. Fifty yards away, a cave mouth opens up at the bottom of a ravine. Hunkered down by a boulder twenty yards outside the cave, keeping watch, is a single orc. It doesn't appear that he's noticed you yet.
Oct 8, 2016 9:22 pm
Kama looks around for the best possible approach. Somewhere for those with ranged attacks to take cover and support others that engage in melee.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Oct 10, 2016 1:54 am
I whisper to those around me. "Perhaps we can draw him towards us?"
Oct 10, 2016 2:13 am
"To capture?" asks Kama. "Not a bad idea. How would we get him to do that, though, without alerting anyone inside?"
Oct 10, 2016 1:01 pm
"Bunnies."

Stormsong explains his plan to the others for their thoughts:

He will create a series of minor illusions.

The orc guard is 90' away. He will stealth 30' toward the orc, and to the side. He will cast a minor illusion sound of lightly rustling leaves 30' away, and 30' from the orc. If the orc reacts, he'll create the illusion of 6 fat rabbits moving out of the foliage to forage. If the orc gives chase or aims an attack, the rabbits will all sit up, look at him, and dart into the foliage toward the party. If necessary to keep the orc in pursuit, he'll cast another sound illusion to draw him in.
OOC:
sound action surprise (hopefully); bunnies action vs orc's attack or 30' pursuit; sound action vs 30' more pursuit
Last edited October 10, 2016 1:51 pm
Oct 10, 2016 4:27 pm
OOC:
Is this what you're going to do or just a plan that you're relaying to the party?
Oct 10, 2016 4:45 pm
OOC:
asking the party -- he wants their buy in and to be prepared for the ambush
Oct 10, 2016 4:51 pm
"I swear if any real bunnies get hurt, I will be an emotional mess for the rest of our adventure!" The bug-eyed forest gnome looked off into the forest with watery and sad stare. "This orc should fall silently." Gimblyn nodded and crouched in a bush.
Oct 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Kama nods, and looks around for a good ambush site that's out of view from the cave.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Oct 10, 2016 5:08 pm
Tumtwig notices the half-orc looking around aimlessly, "Oh, friend, if you need to poop.... everybody poops... there is a quality squat spot just behind that tree." The gnome grinned and pointed to a large tree.
Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm
As Kama seemingly wanders off in a random direction, I keep my eye trained to the ground and its surrounding foliage in search of the best location to both hide and lead the Orc to a trap.
Last edited October 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm
Stormsong moves closer to the orc to ensure his illusion is in range. Once he arrives and finds a good spot to put the illusion where the orc will hear and see it, he casts an illusion to simulate small creatures moving through the underbrush.

He follows up with the bunnies that lead the orc toward the ambush.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Oct 10, 2016 7:19 pm
In the surrounding area, there are several small bushes, such as the one that Gimblyn is hiding in, as well as a couple piles of rocks that you could seek cover behind.
OOC:
I'll let Kama and Xora determine their locations before I adjudicate Stormsong's actions
Oct 10, 2016 7:30 pm
Kama defers to Xora's expertise in the wilderness and settles into a spot behind a rock pile near the location of the ambush.
Oct 11, 2016 2:21 am
I take position behind the pile of rocks, keeping an arrow trained on him.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Oct 11, 2016 2:09 pm
Kama, Xora, and Gimblyn move off silently into their hiding places as Stormsong moves forward to cast his spell. The orc perks up as the bush begins to shake and smiles widely as one bunny and then another pop their heads out. He begins to sneak forward, javelin ready to throw. The bunnies 'notice' him coming and begin to dart away, causing him to take a couple of running steps and throw his javelin at the bunnies. The javelin appears to hit one of the bunnies but doesn't seem to hurt it and he slows to a stop, growling and cursing at his terrible luck.

He moves forward to grab his javelin, putting him in the perfect position for an ambush. He is, at most, 30 feet from any of you and you have the surprise if you want to take it.
Oct 11, 2016 4:53 pm
Confident in Xora's aim, Kama leaps forward to subdue the orc. Using the pommel of Talon, he attempts to incapacitate his opponent with a two-handed lunge just underneath the sternum

Rolls

Talon vs Orc, Damage to knock unconscious - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (12) + 6 = 18

1d10+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Oct 11, 2016 6:01 pm
Stormsong joins Kama's attempt to subdue the orc, dropping his shield and swinging the flat of his longsword with two hands.

Rolls

Longsword, 2H damage - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d10+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Oct 12, 2016 3:20 am
The forest gnome follows his large friends in the rush and swings his little first for the orc's face.

Rolls

First attack - (1d20, 1d4)

1d20 : (6) = 6

1d4 : (2) = 2

Oct 12, 2016 9:36 pm
Kama and Stormsong are easily able to take the orc down before he can even cry out. Gimblyn hops around the orc, trying to reach its face, and then kicks it in the stomach after it falls.
load next

Thread locked