TftF Character Creation

load previous
Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm
With Kajsa being the one connecting you all, it would make sense to focus friction around her. But you can go with whatever you feel like
Jun 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Sure.

These are the frictions that to me seem the most likely with what I understand of the PCs so far.

■ Love
■ Sexuality
■ Rivalry
■ Misunderstandings

These I don't see as plausible to start, unless anyone has ideas how we could implement them with the PCs we have created and not break up the friend group.

■ Unfair Behavior
■ Malice
■ Theft
■ Cowardice/Fear
■ Weakness
■ Crime
Last edited June 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Jun 14, 2021 7:52 pm
Love/sexuality seems like a solid place to start for Friction.

Mikael grew up with Kajsa, they were close friends, and he was crushing on her hard for a while before he got shipped off to boarding school. She's literally the best, as far as he is concerned, but they didn't stay in touch very often because of Mikael's own idiocy. When he got kicked out and returned home, hers was the first friendship he tried to rekindle, only to turn out that she's involved with someone else...and that someone else is a girl, and that this girl is (in his mind) so much cooler and awesome than he could ever be.

I think he'll have some serious jealousy, and to start off with, will ride the line carefully of being a jerk and trying to one-up Sabine, but also not pissing Kajsa off and ruining his friendship with her, which is still something he cherishes.

Sheesh, being a kid is tough. This could extend easily to the rest of the group, to whom this entanglement is as obvious as day and creates awkwardness and (if pushed) could break the group to pieces.

I still see Eric as a friend growing up as well; with Eric and Kasja cousins, what do you guys think about Mikael's, Eric's, and Kajsa's mothers all being close friends? That could make sense as why they all spent time together while growing up.
Last edited June 14, 2021 7:59 pm
Jun 14, 2021 8:47 pm
I could easily see the three mothers being friends.

Definitely a contrast to Sabine with both parents dead and living with her aunt (the islands' busybody and leader of the churchy people).

KCC

Jun 14, 2021 11:07 pm
Does the whole group share one Friction? Because I could totally see Misunderstanding being a problem too, for a non-native Swede. Especially with all that teenage angst mixed in.
Jun 14, 2021 11:12 pm
KCC69 says:
Does the whole group share one Friction? Because I could totally see Misunderstanding being a problem too, for a non-native Swede. Especially with all that teenage angst mixed in.
I'm sure our lovely DM can confirm, but I *believe* there's one friction at a time, something that impacts the cohesion of the group in as a whole, but that Friction can change over the course of the game, so it's dynamic. Like, it could start as one thing, then later become Misunderstanding.
Jun 15, 2021 2:38 am
You have one friction but it can impact the different characters differently. I shared the description for it somewhere above.
Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am
https://i.postimg.cc/kVsNQ6gb/auntieel.jpg

Auntie Eleonora
Last edited June 15, 2021 8:26 am
Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm
I can work with the friction between Mikael, Sabine and Kajsa. Perhaps Eric often feels like a "Fourth Wheel" when he's with everyone else. He would try to keep Mikael's spirits up, but at the same time wants to stay with his new friends with Sabine, Kajsa and Yumin.
Jun 15, 2021 5:24 pm
Okay, I'm going through all of your character sheets now and it looks like we're just about ready to get started. A few things on each of your sheets:

bowlofspinach sent a note to C1NDER
bowlofspinach sent a note to KCC69
bowlofspinach sent a note to RageRed
bowlofspinach sent a note to Rllbbryn

We also have the group friction by now, which is all centered around Kajsa. To get that to a good point, can everyone briefly summarize their PC's perspective on the friction in one or two sentences?
Now, for the final part before we can get started with the game, I have some questions for you, first for the whole group, then for the individual characters.

Questions for the Group:
- What do you enjoy doing together?
- What topics do you avoid talking about?
- Who dislikes your group?

Questions for the Teens:

bowlofspinach sent a note to C1NDER
bowlofspinach sent a note to KCC69
bowlofspinach sent a note to RageRed
bowlofspinach sent a note to Rllbbryn
Jun 15, 2021 8:15 pm
RageRed sent a note to bowlofspinach
Last edited June 15, 2021 8:16 pm
Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm
That all sounds good, Rage!

For the missing relationships, you can still keep thinking about those as the game progresses. You don't necessarily need to have everything set in stone right now. I'm definitely a fan of keeping some things fluid for a while as no character ever just jumps into your mind fully formed. In my experience at least, you need to actually play someone in order to see what they're like.

@everyone: same for the skills and attributes. I'll give you a chance after a scene or two to shift some things around if you find something doesn't quite match up.

Once I've gotten answers from everyone, I will start us off with introductory scenes for each Teen. If you have a specific scene in mind for you character, let me know and I'll set that up. Otherwise, I will think of something for you. Your introductory scenes will be set before Thursday, April 6 1995 - most likely on Wednesday.
Jun 15, 2021 8:54 pm
Short list of some songs: (a lot depends on Sabine's mood at the moment)

'I'm Broken" ~Pantera
"Blind" ~Korn
"Dead Skin Mask" ~Slayer
"Head Like a Hole" ~NIN
"Killing in the Name" ~Rage Against the Machine
"Heresy" ~NIN
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" ~Metallica
"Closer" ~NIN
Jun 15, 2021 9:00 pm
Looks good. The Favorite Song is more meant to be another latching on point for you to get an idea of who your character is. A list of songs or just a well thought through statement of "She cant settle on one" work just as well for that
Jun 15, 2021 9:02 pm
I'll add the short list to Sabine's character sheet.

KCC

Jun 15, 2021 11:44 pm
KCC sent a note to bowlofspinach
I feel like Kasja and Yumin are an unlikely duo. Perhaps some of the friendship was performative at the beginning. A worried immigrant mother pushing her child towards anyone that reached out. Giving extra leeway on behavior and responsibilities if it just meant that Yumin would be okay and adapt to her new life. And on Kasja’s part, perhaps some of it was self serving, look-at-me-aren’t-I-great?

But a real friendship blossomed, perhaps after an adventure or two around the Loop. But Yumin can’t help but think that Kasja has the life that Yumin would have had if she lived back in Korea, if she never had to pause her social life. Crushes, sneaking side glances, even from some of those within the friend group. Yumin never got any of that. Not that she saw, anyway. She was jealous of the love and affection that was heaped on Kasja.

How’s that?
Jun 15, 2021 11:46 pm
Sounds good on both parts so far
Jun 16, 2021 3:25 am
PM'd you, Spinach.

I'm such a noob, I couldn't figure out how the note system works. Can any give me a quick rundown? (it kept showing the formatting in the final text.
Last edited June 16, 2021 3:28 am
Jun 16, 2021 3:30 am
KCC69 says:
I feel like Kasja and Yumin are an unlikely duo. Perhaps some of the friendship was performative at the beginning. A worried immigrant mother pushing her child towards anyone that reached out. Giving extra leeway on behavior and responsibilities if it just meant that Yumin would be okay and adapt to her new life. And on Kasja’s part, perhaps some of it was self serving, look-at-me-aren’t-I-great?

But a real friendship blossomed, perhaps after an adventure or two around the Loop. But Yumin can’t help but think that Kasja has the life that Yumin would have had if she lived back in Korea, if she never had to pause her social life. Crushes, sneaking side glances, even from some of those within the friend group. Yumin never got any of that. Not that she saw, anyway. She was jealous of the love and affection that was heaped on Kasja.

How’s that?
This is awesome, KC! I love the dynamic that our group is coming up with.

---------------

As for that, need to brainstorm the group questions.

Questions for the Group:
----I think we've pinpointed that music is something we all enjoy and we can use that. Do we go to concerts together? (Maybe not Mikael since he's only been back a short time, but he'd like to join!) Do sneak into movie theatres? Do we pull pranks on people that we don't like? Several of us, Mikael included, would have been around during the Loop period - as a holdover from that, do we actively meet up just to listen to music and talk about the weird shit going on around town?

-----On a character level - the group knows talking about Mikael's parents doesn't make him happy (whether you do it anyways is up to you lol)
-----How about a kid from our school recently died or went missing under weird circumstances and nobody, including us, is very comfortable talking about it?
-----Do your characters have things that they don't like others in the group mentioning? Sabine's mom might be one?

-----I feel like if we nail down the first question (what we like to do together), maybe this will be easier to answer.
Last edited June 16, 2021 3:44 am
Jun 16, 2021 4:46 am
C1NDER says:

As for that, need to brainstorm the group questions.

Questions for the Group:
----I think we've pinpointed that music is something we all enjoy and we can use that. Do we go to concerts together? (Maybe not Mikael since he's only been back a short time, but he'd like to join!) Do sneak into movie theatres? Do we pull pranks on people that we don't like? Several of us, Mikael included, would have been around during the Loop period - as a holdover from that, do we actively meet up just to listen to music and talk about the weird shit going on around town?
Listen to music, definitely. All of the above. They can meet up at the music store and hang in the back after hours to listen to music, talk shit, and maybe even play games. The book does reference Kult and Vampire as appropriate.
Quote:
-----On a character level - the group knows talking about Mikael's parents doesn't make him happy (whether you do it anyways is up to you lol)
-----How about a kid from our school recently died or went missing under weird circumstances and nobody, including us, is very comfortable talking about it?
-----Do your characters have things that they don't like others in the group mentioning? Sabine's mom might be one?
Sounds good. Sabine's mom and dad, actually. Unless she mentions them first.

Religion. Sabine's is an atheist. The subject makes her uneasy. He own aunt and her circle of 'churchies' are the origin of gossip around town that Sabine is a godless, devil-worshiping whore.

Quote:
-----I feel like if we nail down the first question (what we like to do together), maybe this will be easier to answer.
Sabine is disliked by her aunt's circle of friends and anyone who listens to them, including their children. I can also imagine that, even with Sweden's general acceptance of 'alternative lifestyles', that there would be some who would still have problems with same-sex couples. Probably not as much as if they were a male couple, but still some.

Its not like Sabine and Kajsa are all over each other in public, but neither do they deny their affection for each other.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.