Heist in The Heights [RP]

load previous
Apr 21, 2022 3:57 pm
OOC:
I think we should try to go unnoticed. How difficult does this seem? Is this place too crowded to move around without making contact with Lowlifes?
Apr 22, 2022 11:42 am
D. catches up with the others while Kamisori proves herself to the locals. He goes as far as making a few well placed comments to get people’s attention to her performance and boost that "stranger hype" to buy more time for the others.

With a look and a nod, he lets them know he is ready to keep watch as soon as they decide to take advantage of the distraction to make a move.
[ +- ] Spoiler
Apr 22, 2022 1:49 pm
Kamisori made a name for herself as a drone jockey in the merc trade, but arena bot fights are a rather different beast, as she already experienced. Still, she gathered a lot of experience on the field since she last faced the arena, and she grew out of her most obvious mistakes from the last time around. Making a few adjustments to Ushi-oni (her attack and self defence drone) to make it more "sportly" she realises she lacks a fundamental skill for the performance, she's a lousy visual designer. Thankfully she learned to delegate things, and lets her colleagues handle that [Guys, I need arena bot styling feedback stat!].
She knows the challenge might trash Ushi-kun, leaving her quite undefended, but she's used to jury-rigging her friends on the go, so she's rather confident she can keep it /running until they're out.
Worst case scenario, she'll have Otter look after the wreck. He seemed friendly enough when she contacted him, and he proved to be trustworthy when he /ran with Lunette. He even stepped aside from confronting her this round, and, seeing his skill, she feels grateful for that, even though she might face him next.
OOC:
• I'm taking the medium, versatile drone gear for the challenge.
• The styling request is meant as a hook for the others to help, if they want to.
• In the event that her drone gets irretrievably wrecked, and she leaves it behind, could that count as getting a Light load?
• Facing Otter and her old bot would put her at a disadvantage, he heavily modified it, and knows Kamisori well enough to catch her off-guard, at least at the beginning.
• Otter is, obviously, an unknown variable, and Kamisori's trust might just as well be misplaced, anyway. Otherwise he might even offer to lend her her old bot as temporary replacement, in the event she loses Ushi-oni.

Does the competition's prize offer access further up the Heights? Or something that might be exchanged for that?
Depending on the answer, it would change Kamisori's approach from a distraction to cover her colleague's intrusion, to focusing on winning to reach their target.
Apr 22, 2022 2:37 pm
Solovei gathers with the others. He likes the idea of the robot fight. A little blood and guts to kick things off. Though he supposes when it comes to robots, the bloodsport aspect is more... metaphorical. Before the Operator disconnects, he does ask one question: "what the Hell happened to the last Runners?" And more pertinently, did they get any useful information back to the Operator before they were, presumably, killed?

For the visual design of the robot, Solovei offers some advice. "Depends on the kind of reaction you want. I wouldn't put up any bot that's too sleek," he says. There's a subtle Slavic lilt to his words. Then he smirks. "Well, unless you want to be the heel or something. Buncha people like this, probably wouldn't like some fancy pants outsider mushing their bots into scrap."

Depends on how Kamisori wanted to play it. Half the fun of robot fights wasn't just the technical aspects, as he understood it. People liked spectacle, and they liked having something to root for. Or against.

Once they're able to slip away, he wishes her luck, and Solovei helps keep an eye out for Winston. He searches for any good vantage points to help keep watch while Winston sizes up the barrier.
Apr 25, 2022 8:19 am
the_cava says:
Guys, I need arena bot styling feedback stat!
"Big and strong usually does the job" D. suggests (retroactively :D ) in a fairly dispassionate manner. For him, these bot battles are clearly more a show of strength than a feat of engineering. Though this is probably the way most of lowlifes think, nothing but brutal entertainment, it may not be the best way to get the attention of the most skilled and helpful amongst them.
OOC:
So... meta, we may want to do exactly the opposite of what D. thinks, since this is cyberpunk and its the freaky hacker in the crowd that counts :D
Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am
OOC:
I'm open to any ideas on how to get through an impenetrable barrier lol. It seems specifically designed to keep everyone out and not be opened so I don't even know what choices we have that don't involve another way inside. Either AC ducts or drainage systems to bypass the barrier, or just coming in from another floor.
Apr 27, 2022 7:36 am
- Solovei -

From you position on the balcony opposite the worksite, you have a fairly good overview of the area and the approaches, but these old --and adapted-- buildings have many nooks and crannies for the crooks and grannies to hide in.

Your thermal vision has just picked up several warm bodies sneaking towards the alcove where Winston has set up his rig. You can not see them through the hanging plastic curtains that have been installed around this area, but their movements are definitely 'furtive'.

It will be a moment before they arrive at D.'s position.

What do you do?
Apr 27, 2022 7:37 am
- D. -

It is important to keep Winston hidden, but there is not much at the blocked-off end of the this out-of-the-way corridor to hide behind.

• Have you taken any precautions to prevent people wandering up to where they can spot him?

The plan was for all the locals to be at the big robot fight, so you were not expecting interference, but your bodyguarding experience has heightened your senses in such situations and you are sure you hear someone --or someones-- sneaking around nearby.

What do you do?
Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am
- Miles -

You have crawled though that felt like miles of fetid airducts to get the to the place where the control wiring runs tight over the structure above.

You have melted through the ceiling of the duct and the floor above it. It is a pity it was not the other way round, as working above yourself means you have to constantly worry about the chemicals dripping down onto you.

You have spliced your end of the link --running all the way back to Winston's position-- into the system as per the plan, and were just thinking about pulling out when you spot smoke emanating from the old wires in the conduit. Age has weakened the surface coatings, and the chemicals Blank provided are eating their way through. Even if this holds up long enough for the hacker to finish: if the wires come apart later, it is likely to sound an alarm somewhere.

What do you do?
Apr 27, 2022 7:39 am
- Blank -

You were worried when concocting the chemicals that there would be adverse reactions with the aged infrastructure, but this was the only way to gain access --any attempt at drilling would trigger sensors and draw attention.

Watching Miles' camera feed on the encrypted comms you can't yet see that there is problem, but what precautions did you take, and what instructions did you give your burglar for such an occasion?
Apr 27, 2022 7:40 am
- Winston -

Your cyberdeck has just gone live, you have made it past the initial login screen (how? stolen passwords? factory defaults? unpatched exploit?).

This is probably just an unprivileged user- or diagnostic interface, but should --with enough skill, luck, and prior-planning-- allow you access to deeper systems where you can find what you need.

• What does your environment look like when you are hacking?

What do you do?
Apr 28, 2022 12:29 am
Winston gives an old man grunt of mixed satisfaction and disgust. Of course the firmware hadn't been updated on this system. Elites have a habit of ignoring anything outside of their daily lives, and of underestimating the unwashed masses below them. Would they worry, or even think, about updating firmware? No siree. True, it was only the diagnostic screen and would take a few tricks to get into the system itself, plus some more work to get admin privileges, but it was a start.

Winston's environment looks like a neon garden. Each stem was a route between access levels and symbolized main branches of the system: network connections, display adapters, peripherals, software, and so on. Every option was its own petal on the flower atop the stem. Currently he is in a neon blue hydrangea that represented a system's diagnostic menu. From here he has to do another firmware check to see if any other exploits remain unpatched. If not, he could scrape data logs for a list of names with admin privileges and hope the passwords were kept unhashed in a simple text file somewhere.

Rolls

Smartness + Hacking - (2d6+2d6)

(36) + (51) = 15

Apr 28, 2022 11:05 am
vagueGM says:
Have you taken any precautions to prevent people wandering up to where they can spot him?
It was easy to move unnoticed in the middle of the crowd as the combats started. Though it looked like the plan was working and many of the lowlifes were distracted by the event, D. knew not everyone would be there. In fact, it is guaranteed that some gang would have planned to take advantage of the situation to make their move. Maybe all of the local gangs were on the move! These are the often best times to settle scores. With poeple moving around freely, it would be too obvious to set up a blockade or a trap of some sort, so D. decided to just stay alarm at the best intersection, using his camouflage to make sure he would see anyone before they saw him.
OOC:
I think this is a good spot to use an item and check how that works :D I have Magnetic camouflage 1d6, presumably this will twist the light for a Predator-like ability.
vagueGM says:
The plan was for all the locals to be at the big robot fight, so you were not expecting interference, but your bodyguarding experience has heightened your senses in such situations and you are sure you hear someone --or someones-- sneaking around nearby.
It didn't take long for him to be proven right. A group of amateurs was on the move nearby. Clearly trying not to be noticed but too inexperienced to move silently. He needs to send a warning to the others, so they know what's coming, but he can probably buy some time. Being from outside, its easier to look lost. And if you look lost, you can waste someone's time with stupid questions.

Tough first, D. has to be sure of the group's intentions. If they are out for blood, it could be their blood...
OOC:
Is anyone close enough to me (and available) so we can go together or they can stay a bit behind for surprise backup? First, I'll try to figure out how aggressive they are and, if they can be talked to, just pretend I'm lost to buy some time
Last edited April 28, 2022 11:12 am
Apr 28, 2022 12:36 pm
Blank watches Miles' feed--he doesn't feel too good about the melting wires on the shimmer vid. He looks up a Winston, who's nearby and plugged in.

"Don't worry. I told Miles how to handle this," he says, less confident than he sounds. Blank knows the hacker is probably not paying attention to the feed from the duct, or too jacked in to care.

"I gave him my homemade sodium bicarbonate. He just needs to apply it, wash it, and start again." Sweat begins to prickle the chemists back. He grins at Winston's profile and sees he's still not paying attention. "Baking soda," Blank says.
Last edited April 28, 2022 1:41 pm
Apr 28, 2022 1:35 pm
Miles, without wasting any time, takes out the soda. First he inspects all the cables around, for any other parts that are damaged and he didn't notice. Then, he applies the soda and wipes the cables with a wet cloth to remove all the chemicals. He also uses the left soda to wipe any chemicals from the ceiling above so they don't drip again.

"Blank, we have a little problem, I don't know if you can see that clearly. I think it's under control now, as long as there are no other damaged spots. Do you still have connection?"
OOC:
Do I need to roll for this action? Also, what about equipment? Is the soda considered a third item that I had in my light loadout?
Apr 28, 2022 1:51 pm
- Winston -

One of the roots feeding the diagnostic flower carries data from the control system in charge of the barrier doors. You can tell this because of how inactive it is --the doors have not operated for decades.

You are able to follow along this thread and find yourself in the control system. This is a much more serious machine with what looks like ancient and outdated I.C.E. programs sitting idle, and mostly bored and dormant. Most of the young bucks, these days, would not even recognise these as ICEs --they were 'banned' after some of your friends got their brains fried being attacked by them-- but you have dealt with them before, and know how to avoid the worst (or you did).

The control system is asking for a password. If you can convince it you are meant to be here, it probably won't get all exited when being told to open a door long shut, or you could ignore the login prompt and try force the system open, which will be noisy but quick.

Somewhere connected, there must be a security node that receives messages about activity. A log message about a door (even this door) opening might go unnoticed --for a while, maybe even forever-- but you have no way of knowing who (or what) is paying attention to such messages. Dealing with that would be its own job.

What do you do?
Apr 28, 2022 3:16 pm
Solovei hunkers down in the balcony. Other than the robot fight, or a swanky club, this is one of his favourite places to be. Not this balcony in particular. He likes to be somewhere he can watch the action from afar. Less chance of him getting his nose broken. Though he hopes there won't be much action just yet. When he spots the warm bodies moving through his thermal vision, he messages D (and whoever else is in their comms channel.)

"Aw, D, aren't you lucky. You made a couple friends already. They're coming up now. Don't be shy. Talk to 'em. I'm here for moral support."

Solovei thought their channel was secure, but didn't want to risk saying his moral support would be at a distance, via a high-powered rifle, if D's new friends were looking for trouble. He just wanted D to know he had back up. Hopefully they were only curious about the newcomers and D could send them packing without issue.

Not that Solovei was opposed to taking some heads off, but he preferred to avoid going loud as long as possible. He waited and continued to watch D's position, readying himself for any trouble.
OOC:
I recall there being "Special Ammo" on the character sheet, so if things get hairy, maybe I can use tranqs or something to keep things quiet/non-lethal?
Apr 29, 2022 1:34 pm
OOC:
ok, so taking it all together...
D. considers the options for a moment and decides to get closer to Wiston and get Blank's attention. He kept at a manageable distance from them, so he could let them know trouble is coming with a simple hand sign.

As he turns back, he gets Solovei message. "How many can you see?" he replies thinking he may be able to take two or three on his own "I'm going and try to buy some time. Hopefully that hacker knows what he's doing".
Apr 29, 2022 2:16 pm
- Solovei -

From the thermal signature it looks like four bodies approaching.
Apr 30, 2022 10:34 pm
"I see four," Solovei replies. "It's all heat signatures, so can't tell much about 'em other than that. I'll follow your lead."

Solovei waits and watches, prepared to ready his rifle if need be.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.