Heist in The Heights [RP]

load previous
May 13, 2022 12:03 pm
- D. -

Simultaneously:

"No, E, it is too dangerous." The lead girl declares trying to restrain her friend and finding you already blocking her way. She glares at you accusatorially, as if to say 'you are not her dad'.
May 13, 2022 12:06 pm
"Who the hell am I? I'm the one who asked you first, ain't I? Smartass." Winston shakes his head. He looks at D. "They may need your help. I don't think they'd know a car jack from a phone jack," he mutters as he rolls his eyes.
May 13, 2022 12:11 pm
- Winston -

"But I live here!" Demi declares, as though that should trump your asking first. He does back away, though, to go and stand with his friends and, coincidentally, with D. between himself and you.
May 13, 2022 12:44 pm
D. notices the the girl's look and is again reminded that ... E. is not her. Though he can't let go of that feeling for some reason. Still he moves closer to Winston and the opening. "Drop it old man" D. tries to diffuse the tension, well aware that the kids should probably go home and do drugs or something safer. But that is not an option so... "They are looking for trouble and that, we can provide".
May 15, 2022 11:31 am
Winston waves his hand dismissively. "I've had hemorrhoids that were bigger problems," he grumbles to D. He turns to the punk kids. "You can call me 'The Fossil.' Now get me something to pry open this last set of doors. Ideally that car jack we were discussing."
Last edited May 15, 2022 11:32 am
May 17, 2022 5:26 pm
- Solovei -

You see D. taking the group of teens over to the door. Do you join them there, or make your own --surreptitious-- entry unbeknown to them?
May 19, 2022 9:41 pm
"'The Fossil'? That's a funny name?" The lead girl says to Winston with no trace of awareness that she may be being rude.

"Isn't that a sort of old rock?" She asks, her head cocked to one side. "My name ('Herma') means 'rock' too --apparently."

"Um... I don't know what a 'jock' is," Demi observes. "But there are noises coming from the other side. Do you think its a 'ka'? Sounds like one."

What do you all do?
May 20, 2022 8:55 am
"Sounds like a suitable name to me" D. comments indifferently. Though the kids may consider that a compliment, it is very obvious to the team that he thinks she's as smart as a rock as well. As Demi points out the sound, he stops and moves his hand closer to his holster, the other raised to protect E. "Let me see what that is..." he moves closer to the opening, back against the barrier, and takes a deep breath.
OOC:
Can I recognize the sound before looking?
https://c.tenor.com/C-SVLMUThuEAAAAC/ninjapanda-panda.gif
Last edited May 20, 2022 11:29 am
May 20, 2022 12:08 pm
"A fossil is an impression in rock made by something that was once alive. Sounds perfectly fitting for me." At the mention of a noise Winston hushes up and quietly slips off to the side out of the way.
May 21, 2022 11:00 am
D. focuses on the noise that is slowly approaching them. He's not an expert on things mechanical except, maybe, on how to break them, but we could tell the sound of old parts needing to be oiled. Whatever that thing was, it was probably as old as The Heights.

cleaning bot
He turns to take a look, seeing a small robots slowly moving their way. He can't tell what it may be, but it looks like something between a cleaning bot and a garbage disposal. "Doesn't look too bad. Do you think it could be here to close the barrier again?" he asks "the fossil", who'd have far more experience with this sort of ... older devices.
May 21, 2022 12:15 pm
Winston turns on his Hanwoo Acoustic Amplifiers by pressing a flesh-colored button behind his left ear. Noises sprang to life around him: the drip of oil from a leak somewhere behind him, the hum of florescent lights, a rat scampering in a corner, and the squeaky tread of the bot and the servo motors whirring inside its casing.

Winston takes a quick peak through the door. "Looks like a repurposed bomb disposal bot. My guess is it works as a sentry of some kind, probably automatically activated when the barrier was opened. Got a camera and one manipulator arm. As long as we aren't recorded it shouldn't be a problem."
May 21, 2022 3:57 pm
- Winston -

Possibly showing off, but also possibly trying to show you up, Demi replies in a condescending tone. "It will definitely see the open door. That has never happened before, so it will definitely notice that."

His pomposity deflates a bit near the end of his speech as he realises that this is his only chance to see what is on the other side and his chances of a cool story is slipping though his fingers.

"We have to stop it!" Demi says desperately, starting to move towards the opening.

You know that he is right, the new input will trigger something in the bot. But you can not guess what neural network pathways will be involved for such an unusual --but possibly preprogrammed-- event. There is a fair chance it will (maybe after some processing) kick this up to a supervisor and eventually a person.

You need to act now.
What do you do?
May 21, 2022 3:59 pm
- D. -

The bot looks small enough to fit through the opening. But is not equipped --nor interested-- in making that trip on its own, and might not be quite the right shape.

What do you do?
May 24, 2022 1:14 pm
Neck craning down to look at his belt, Blank runs his fingers over the the small leather casings attached. He speaks aloud but distracted, "Special ammo, special ammo...I know I brought it."

He gets to the one nearest his hip. "Ah ha! Here it is. D, EMP!" he says to his crew member as he flips open the leather clasp.

He pulls out one of the blue tipped bullets. "Small, isolated. The pulse isn't more than a foot in diameter."
May 24, 2022 1:19 pm
D. follows Blank's action and grabs his gun. If EMP doesn't work, regular ammo could probably do the job.
OOC:
Just holding and aiming
May 25, 2022 12:30 pm
Rolling the bullet over the tops of his fingers, Blank moves closer to D. He stops his finger trick and holds the bullet between forefinger and thumb.

"It's for you my man. I can make stuff--it's my specialty--but don't count on me to take things out."

Blank holds the for D. to take, and load into his clip. "Better hurry before these kids get us try to "help" us."
OOC:
Idea is that EMP will keep the bot from transmitting anything.
May 31, 2022 4:57 pm
D. looks at Blank and then takes the bullet. He doesn't say anything, but knowing the man by reputation, that is sure to have some kick to it. He waves the kids away, hoping they can just be sensible and not let their curiosity get the best of them and whispers to Winston as he tries to focus on the sounds to pin points the bot's location before looking. "Old man. You know about this stuff right? Anywhere it would hurt the most?"

Once he knows where to aim, he will activate his camouflage. Hopefully the bot doesn't have a strong electromagnetic sensor, so he can at least go unnoticed for those few precious seconds it will take to shot the thing down.
OOC:
So asking for expert help and trying to get some sort of surprise effect if I manage to not be noticed immediately by the bot's sensors. It will definitely know I'm there after awhile though... I guess one of the risk is a stupid teenager just going WWWWWOOOOOOWWWWW to my camouflage 🤣
Last edited May 31, 2022 4:57 pm
Jun 1, 2022 12:38 am
"The circuitry is housed in the base between the treads. Aim there."
Jun 1, 2022 10:50 pm
As D. prepares Blank turns and speaks to Demi. "Who do you run with? Are you all--" he makes a vague motion ment to include all four teens--"connected?"

Let's see what resourceswe have here...
OOC:
Blank is trying to figure out how much use the teens can be, as watchdogs, runners, etc. Only then he'lltry to come up with bargain if needed.
Jun 1, 2022 10:51 pm
OOC:
He's a social, empathetic person, often running interference between the clinic and the gangs in the territory.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.