Heist in The Heights [RP]

load previous
Jun 2, 2022 7:59 am
D. turns over the barrier, exposing himself to the bot, gun in hand.
OOC:
So he is aiming but we are rolling for the assumption that he can escape the robot's sensors for just enough time to aim properly.

Rolls

D.: Caution + D.: Mobility - (1d6+0d6)

(3) + (0) = 3

Jun 2, 2022 11:07 am
"WWWWWWWWoooooooooooooWWWWWWWWW

D. notices the bot's camera quickly turning his way, almost feeling the machine detecting the magnetic distortion of is camouflage. Stupid kids are going to get us all killed!. With no time to waste, he aims at the base between the treads, hoping the old man knows what he is talking about.
OOC:
So how does the help work? was this a narrative increase in efficiency or does nezzarj need to decide if he takes 1 stress to give me +1d .

Rolls

D.: Aggression + D.: Ranged Combat - (2d6+2d6)

(64) + (55) = 20

Secret Roll

Jun 2, 2022 11:51 am
D. had no clue what Blank's specialty was so he is bit disappointed as the bullet's impact seems to not do much besides the regular hole he is so comfortably used to ... at first. As he readies for another shot, sparks start to spread across the entire machine, electric loops jumping from one side to the other until the entire thing just stops motionless.

D. just stays there, tense as he looks at the bot, gun at hand, waiting for something... anything... to happen. But nothing else moves.
Last edited June 2, 2022 11:51 am
Jun 2, 2022 12:02 pm
E jumps at Herma's outburst and turns to shush her.

Then: "What is it?" She asks when she sees the other girl standing with her arms crossed firmly across her chest.

"Magnets." Is all Herma will say, blushing fiercely.

"That was cool, though." Demi says giving a sulky looking Lys a nudge, but he does not respond, merely stares at the girls and the 'cool new people' resentfully.
With this bot dealt with, you have probably bought yourself a little time to get through the door. It should not be hard to force it, working together.

What do you do?
Jun 2, 2022 6:26 pm
Blank whistles with appreciation at D.'s shot. "Nice one," he says as he steps over to the door. "Don't worry D.--it's out. Trust me."

"We could put our backs into it--one on either side--and force it??"

Turning back to Demi he says, "You can call me Blank by the way. You've probably heard of me. I've patched up, probably, pretty much every 'banger in this city." He gives the door a gentle test tug, then continues talking to the teen. "I also have the current high score in C.A.K.E." He flashes a smile at the teens.
OOC:
Are we still building the stakes or should I roll (Empathy and Streetwise to find and angle on them)? Also, if it wasn't clear in backstory, Blank would be not much older than these kids, really. Likely closer in age to them than he is to, say, Winston.
Jun 7, 2022 12:23 pm
Continuing to the teens, "Well, it's good to meet you. If your taggin' along just follow our lead. We're pros."

To D., "Any thoughts on next step?" Blank follows up by looking to Winston as well.
Jun 7, 2022 1:22 pm
- Blank -

"That's you!" E exclaims. "I can't get past level 3, but Lys was second on the scoreboard for a while. Weren't you Lys? Didn't you say if you ever met number 1 you wanted to ask him how he got a perfect score on... something or the other?"

E's enthusiasm just seems to make Lys even more sulky. You suspect he is used to being the big dog in his group and is now feeling like a little fish all of a sudden.

What do you do?
Jun 8, 2022 12:33 am
"Let's all put our backs into it and get this door all the way open. And by 'our backs' I mean 'your backs' since mine is made of termite-infested toothpicks these days. Now, get a move on. Put those young muscles into it." Winston arthritically mimes lifting something heavy with his back.
Jun 8, 2022 6:46 am
While the kids resent the interruption to their fascinating C.A.K.E. discourse, and seem to want to find fault with Winston's plan on general principle, they also really want to see what on the other side --and each want to be the first to step through, you suspect, so you may need to take action if you don't want them bundling through heedless of danger, each trying to jockey for that 'first' position. They jump to the task and quickly have the barrier moving outwards --with some grinding and screeching that carries a lot further than you would like.

The door becomes easier to move once it gets past that midway sticky point and will soon be open enough for all of you to pass through.

What do you do?
Jun 8, 2022 8:00 am
Dunko says:
To D., "Any thoughts on next step?" Blank follows up by looking to Winston as well.
D. smiles very briefly as E. looks excited about some kids' game he never heard about. "Well, we got our way in, we go in" He quickly replies to Blank and leads the kids' effort pushing the door open."Old man, I guess you can't close it back. It feels leaving it like this is inviting more trouble?" he looks at the teenagers, clearly letting Winston know that other kids may find their way here if we leave the door open.
Last edited June 8, 2022 8:01 am
Jun 8, 2022 8:31 am
Sticky as it is, it will be a challenge to get the door closed.

It looks like there was, maybe, supposed to be some sort of time-delay-automatic-closing, but the software has given up on that due to the jam. It may kick back in again at some point --maybe if you can get the door fully open and trigger a rest-- or you may be able to manually close it --or make it look closed-- with some effort, or the software could be hacked back into action.

If you move fast enough an open door might not matter.
If you need to get out fast, and open door may be a good thing.

What do you do about the door?
Jun 8, 2022 9:18 am
In his younger days, Winston would've done a better job of covering his tracks, of leaving things as he found it. But not now. He was old and slightly more forgetful than he had been in his prime, but mostly because he was already planning for the worst and a few niggling details wouldn't make much of a difference.

"Leave the door. If we are making a hasty retreat, it will be one less obstacle in our way. With luck they won't even know the door has been opened and won't consider it a viable escape route for them to worry about."
Jun 8, 2022 11:49 am
On the heels of Winston's assessment, noticing the eager energy of the teens, Blank pushes his way forward, past D. and the now stuck door. From withing the room with the disabled bot he calls back, "You all follow our lead. Things just got serious. The people up top don't care who you are, where your from, or wh you're re with--they'll kill you, all of us, and incinerate our bodies so they dont have to pay processing fees."

Blank looks around the room, searching for a way forward.

"So slow down, stay smart, and do what you're told." The young chemist projects his most "pack leader" vibes to the kids.
Last edited June 8, 2022 11:49 am
Jun 8, 2022 7:03 pm
The corridor looks like it has been abandoned for a long time, the treads of the little robot have left deep tracks in the layer of dust, and the air smells stale, like the air-conditioning filters have been neglected.

Automatic lights turn on as you pass, many flickering badly while some failing to light, leaving pools of dimness.

The view through the window at the far end of the corridor confirms that you are still below the smog-line, so you would need go up several levels to get to where the labs are suspected of being located.

The teen foursome struggle to keep their excitement under control, for them it is like they have stepped into a long-fabled fairy-tail land. If the grubby disuse of this corridor puts them off, it does not show yet.

What do you do? Do you head straight upwards --looking for likely laboratories-- or are there any preparations or precautions you want to do first?
Jun 8, 2022 7:30 pm
"Oh those processing fees are really unbearable" D. instinctively complains as Blank mentions the general way to dispose of a body, as if it was just a normal chat about the weather. He nods at Winston. The old man will probably not be able to run fast enough to come back, and is not like D. cares much about these lowlives anyway, so having a easier way out for himself seem sensible enough.

"Do you think there is another barrier?" he asks no one in particular as he notices they are below the smog-line. "It's not just that this looks line a no-man buffer zone... but I'd guess the upper people may use the smog-line as a natural border of sorts, no?"
Jun 9, 2022 8:35 pm
"A Second Door?" Demi says in awe, pronouncing the capital in 'Door' as though it is some sort of mystic relic --which, to them, it kinda is. "Wow!"

Your employer did not mention a second barrier, but there is no way they could have known about such a thing if there is one. You will just have to deal with what you find.

Your briefing did speculate that the residents living quarters were in the levels above the smog, where the view was grand, and that the work-areas might be located in or below the perpetual smog band. While you can see out the windows, they have that slight murky effect you associate with two-way mirrors, and no one been able to see in from outside.
Jun 9, 2022 9:26 pm
In response to D.'s question about more barriers Blank states, "God I hope not. Residence should be above us..." as he tries to recall exactly what they've been debriefed on regarding what the residences are like.

How freely do folk move about? Is it guarded; and how are maintenance workers handled?

In fact, Blank voices these thoughts to D. and Winston. He smiles at the thought of getting to try on more disguises...potentially.
Jun 9, 2022 10:21 pm
While these are all good questions, the briefing was unfortunately brief on facts about the High-Levelers. Not much --next to nothing, really-- is known about them since they have had no contact with the outside world since sealing themselves off and are pretty big on their personal privacy.

You know you will not be welcomed, but whether these people still even have any concept of outsiders as being a thing that can happen or that they need to look out for, you don't know. So far they don't seem to be paying attention to the security features you have encountered.
Jun 10, 2022 8:16 am
"Well, it doesn't look guarded... D. replies to Blank's voiced thoughts. "At least not properly. They probably forgot about the lower levels being cut off from the outside for so long"
OOC:
I'm up for exploring ahead now!
Jun 10, 2022 4:49 pm
Blank nods at D., Winston, and the teens.

"Let's head on up."
OOC:
I think we're heading on up!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.