General Chat

load previous
Mar 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Looks fine to me.
I'm almost never using GP on mobile, so it doesn't matter very much for me.
Mar 26, 2023 11:35 am
Good 👍. I'll change it when I'm not on mobile ☺️
Mar 26, 2023 8:06 pm
Airshark says:
... I'll change it when I'm not on mobile
Give a shout if you want me to make the change for you, it is no big deal.
Mar 28, 2023 6:48 am
vagueGM says:
Airshark says:
... I'll change it when I'm not on mobile
Give a shout if you want me to make the change for you, it is no big deal.
That would be great!
Mar 28, 2023 6:52 am
Done.
Apr 22, 2023 8:01 pm
I seem to be having an unexpected busy weekend. Apologizifications
Apr 22, 2023 8:02 pm
That's not a real word!
May 4, 2023 6:41 am
VagueGM, you mentioned "7th sea" in OCC thread. I was always curious about this system as its rules... after reading them from QuickStart PDF's(2nd ed)... seemed as almost unneeded, so free form/will that I'm not sure you really should roll those dice and could only look at your character sheet and see with what he is good at. Almost no structure. Somehow even less than in Dungeon World(which I like v. much). What are your experiences and opinions on this system? 1st or 2nd edition?
May 4, 2023 9:27 am
I did not read 2nd very far, it seemed to have lost the elements that made 1st interesting. It is still (maybe) on my list.

It has been a very long time since I looked at 7th Sea, so I don't recall details, but it had a fair bit of structure and rules. Reading Quickstarts can often be misleading as they might --as it sounds here-- leave out the intricacies of the rules that are in the actual books.
I mentioned 7th Sea in the context of Initiative, so let's see if I can remember enough of those rules as an indication of how not-freeform it is:

You roll a number of d10s (based on your Panache Score? and some situational bonuses?), those are your actions, you lay them out along the bottom of your character sheet in slots provided.

The GM then starts counting (backwards?) from 10. On each number, those who have a Die showing that number get to take one action for each Die on that number.
May 5, 2023 11:33 pm
I did a brief look into 7th Sea 1st edition some time ago, and it indeed looked much more structured and interesting. It was mostly the 2nd edition that I was curious - if it is so "simplistic". Do you recommend 1st edition if someone like the setting?
May 6, 2023 6:25 am
Pedrop says:
... 7th Sea ... Do you recommend 1st edition if someone like the setting?
I can not say. I never found a situation where it was the right fit for any game we wanted to play, there were always better options, and I am not sure I would play it. But if you like it, then try it.
May 7, 2023 10:32 pm
vagueGM says:
there were always better options
Interesting! About what are you thinking? What are the best rules for this kind of setting in your opinion?
May 8, 2023 8:07 am
I don't really do 'best'. And such judgements depend heavily on the group and the specifics of what was being sought after, so I can't really 'recommend' anything.

If you are looking for Pirates, there is the new Ironsworn Starforged Sundered Isles material. I was rather impressed with Poison'd by Vincent Baker, though people say it is a hard game to grok.
Aug 3, 2023 8:39 am
OOC:
Moved from game OOC there'd here, as I think it more belongs to this place:)
vagueGM says:
Pedrop says:
(OOC in RP)... I wonder if any of you have read "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" ... Stanisław Lem ...
I have read some Lem, but it was decades ago and I don't recall specifically which books I read. I believe Pirx is 'short stories', and I don't tend to read short stories, but even if not, I don't think it is among those I read.
Yes the book is a collection of "short stories" - so somehow disconnected episodes of Pirx life... but somehow they make a cohered whole. And the main character is the same. So it's not normal "short stories" - it's more a book about someone that is not showing a full picture and leaves some blank space to fulfill with your conjecture:)

The book shows in how many styles Lem could write. On English wikipedia there is remark:
Quote:
"Dick [Philip K. Dick!] alleged that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect."
And it is probably true. But what is not written there is the one of the reasons Dick was thinking that way about Lem: he simply couldn't believe that one person can write in so many styles with so high quality! So he thought that Lem is not a one person! But Lem was able to do so. And Stories about pilot Pirx - being maybe not the best of his book - shows that very well. Many stories in that book are in different styles. There is one story that is the best "thriller" story I have ever read - the atmosphere is simply amazing.

Not to mention how many things Lem has foretold... including with the proposition that human beings will be replaced by robots someday... and had even written a book that is from those robot's perspective: when humans are only a wired oddity for robots, long gone or kept around just for fun: Fables for Robots - from 1964 - and only recently people are "amazed" about Elon Musk's ideas that we are only a biological boot loader for AI and "artificial" life.... :)

13 Things Lem Predicted About The Future We Live In :)

And he wrote mostly in communist Poland so was somehow separated from information flow and technology news...

I also recommend to find somehow read and check his "short story"(this time for real) called: "Do you exist Mr Jones? " - about 25 pages.
Aug 10, 2023 11:27 am
Meta subject - but connected with this game:

As I'm still fascinated about idea of connecting TTRPG rules with some skirmish/war-games rules(like i.e. Stargrave or Frosgrave) - for bigger, but faster battles. So you play your RPG system normally, and when you get to bigger battle - you go with some skirmish game rules. So I'm going to test some rules for this - here on GP solo or with someone willing to join.

But what it has to do with this game - you may ask? ;)

It simple - I like very much some meta things between games - so I would really love to have my next skirmish game "happening" in the world of this game. So there will be a battle - probably because of the coming war - somewhere in our's game universe. Or PC may heard about it in the news channel or... not. Most probably it will have ZERO influence on our story - on character level. But if you will something interesting in the outcome of this battle, maybe GM will be willing to incorporate it our story.

So:
1. I wanted to ask - if you are ok with that?
2. Do you want to work with me on backstory/couse of this coming battle that will be concise with your view of the world of this game? GM mentioned some world building in the game prompt, so probably it could go into that bucket too?
3. Maybe you have already some ideas what could be the backstory of the coming battle?

Next rules I want to test are Space Weirdos. Probably there will be only two sides. Any ideas? Someone want to join me with those test and world building?
Aug 10, 2023 11:48 am
Pedrop says:
... fascinated about idea of connecting TTRPG rules with some skirmish/war-games rules ... faster battles ...
I have never found introducing a new system for one part of a game to make things 'faster'. And not everyone will be interested in skirmish games, so only some will be involved in that part. Such splits are something I avoid.
Pedrop says:
... test some rules for this - here on GP ...
Play by post seems like a particularly bad way to do skirmish games, but that may just be my ignorance.
Pedrop says:
... I would really love to have my next skirmish game "happening" in the world of this game. it will have ZERO influence on our story ... 1. I wanted to ask - if you are ok with that? ...
I have no objections to you using anything form this story in your own games. But I will not be following along with what is happening there, so the most you could hope for it to affect our world would be if you have your character hear rumours of what happened there. There rumours may or may not be true.

It might affect the places you want to go next, changing your plans, or might change who is in power at any place you go to, but I don't have any of that planned out, so this is no different to how it will be run already: You tell me what is happening.
Aug 10, 2023 10:40 pm
vagueGM says:
I have never found introducing a new system for one part of a game to make things 'faster'. And not everyone will be interested in skirmish games, so only some will be involved in that part. Such splits are something I avoid.
Unless everyone at table know the rules or played the skirmish game outside the RPG and like skirmish games... :) This approach not for everyone:)
vagueGM says:
Play by post seems like a particularly bad way to do skirmish games, but that may just be my ignorance.
Probably you are right. I will do it for the first time. But it is only way for me to try those rules right now. And PbP have one advantage: I can make one move a day or every few days. Not taking to much time. Besides I'm planing too use owlbear.rodeo - so maybe it will be not so bad?
Quote:
I have no objections to you using anything form this story in your own games. But I will not be following along with what is happening there, so the most you could hope for it to affect our world would be if you have your character hear rumours of what happened there. There rumours may or may not be true.

It might affect the places you want to go next, changing your plans, or might change who is in power at any place you go to, but I don't have any of that planned out, so this is no different to how it will be run already: You tell me what is happening.
Ok. Good. Not expecting fallowing along, only prompt for making a backstory for the battle. And I will report back what will be the result of the battle (and if anything significant happened there) and we could be using this info here or not...:)
Aug 11, 2023 10:52 am
I'd also prefer not to do that in this game. I find the game is already complicated enough :D Sorry.

I think you'd be better off setting up a game for it yourself and seeing who is interested in trying such a system. There's bound to be others who would like to try.
Aug 11, 2023 10:56 am
No, no:) No in this game. It will be separate game on GP. I was thinking only of keeping both games in the same world/universe and events from one game could - if we will be liking that - have some influence on the other or... just stay at level of rumors... fluff of the world:)
Aug 11, 2023 11:11 am
Other subject: shouldn't we recruit one more player? Of course CC should go in parallel to current events, and we will pick up the ready character when he or she will be ready - on our way out from the system or at the destination system - depending when the PC will be ready.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.