Open Chat

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Oct 6, 2024 4:59 am
Moyreau says:
vicky_molokh says:
I did, but sometimes that doesn't quite disambiguate things (e.g. is there a limit on the number of perk+flaw sets for a single ability that can be pre-built?) and sometimes, like with Time-Freeze, they increased my uncertainty.
No there's not a limit on perks and flaws, the more perks you have, the greater the cost of the ability, and the flaws subtract from that, that's it.
I do mean sets. E.g. some of the sample characters in the book have four sets of attack variants built for the same Ability, each with a different combination of Perks and Flaws. Is there a cap on how many such combinations should be built - either per ability or per character?

E.g. can Arcane Magic have a suite of casting styles, one normal style (no modifiers), one ritual style (Elaborate Gestures, Unique Flaw: requires a minute, for a net -10 Endurance cost), one extended ritual style (Elaborate Gestures, Unique Flaw: requires ten minutes, for a net -15 or arguably -20 Endurance cost), and maybe a few others.
Moyreau says:
About time freeze, basically, it's an ability that give you a bonus for rolls concerning speed and quickness, and it also detracts from the penalty on doing multiple actions (though the activation of it is in itself an action); honestly, I couldn't find the ambiguity with this one.
So if I have Time Freeze 1, how does that work? I spend an Action to activate it in the turn, and then I get to do two actions with no penalty in the next turn, then need to re-activate it on third turn? Or do I get the ability to split the actions in the same turn? In either case, it looks it just delays the first action, and I'm not sure it should be that way. Also, is the speed-and-quickness roll bonus also reliant on spending an action for activation.

----

Unrelated, I think I might reconsider my initial reluctance to play a yasha, but I really couldn't figure out much about the race based on the R+V wiki nor based on the lore thread in this game. Could you please expand on what is known about this youkai type?

----

I think I'm going to reconsider some of my earlier ideas about the personality of the character. I'm beginning to like the idea of an arcanist, quite possibly Yasha, with some of the earlier powerset retained. Fame would almost surely go onto the chopping block, but that's just a result of seriously rethinking the concept-direction the PC is heading in.

----

Rules question about arcane magic: if a PC already has a trait, then uses Magic, Arcane to reproduce that trait magically, does the magical value replace or add to the trait? E.g. if a character is Quick, then uses magic to reproduce quickness?

----

The cap for stacked ability bonuses is +5. What about Perks - is the cap based on abilities+perks, or abilities only (allowing perks and situational things like on-the-fly kamikaze attacks to result in a greater sum than 5)?
Last edited October 6, 2024 9:12 am
Oct 6, 2024 5:09 pm
Ok, let me answer these real quick; after that, let's keep it at the character creation threads, capisce?
Yes, the amount of suites (as the game calls them) are only limited by space in the sheet - which, in a digital one - isn't a problem. Actually, you can add perks and flaws to your ability on the fly, no need to write all of that stuff down (though you, if you want to have that information always available); that is, as long as it makes sense for your character to use aforesaid perks and flaws with his ability, I. e. your character is an arcanist, it makes sense that he can cast his magic in multiple ways possible, be it a quick cantrip, a ritual, etc.
Time freeze works like this: it always take an action to activate it, no matter what you're trying to use it with, but, as it offsets the penalty in the proportion of the ability level, with Time Freeze +1, you can do two actions: activate it and then act again, with a penalty of -1; with +2, you can activate it and act again, without penalty; with +3 you can activate it and act twice, without penalty, &c. On the practical side, having just a +1 on it doesn't help much in combat, being only useful for speed relate actions outside of combat. That being said it's quite a broken ability (by it's own nature).
Ok, the Yasha are very similar to witches, in that they excel in magic (not as good as them, though), and focus in summoning spells. They have the inherent ability to shapeshift, transform into animals, like bears, tigers, crows, etc. They also excel in Youjutsu.

By the way, the difference between magic and Youjutsu is this: the first manipulates the forces of nature and generally needs a catalyst: a wand, enchanted sword, etc. While Youjutsu is the manipulation of Youki, which is the spirit energy of the Youkai, what gives them their supernatural powers; in the series, Youjutsu has been used for the creation of barriers, seals (for the powers of the monster being sealed) and to increase one's physical abilities and powers, both on the fly (with different techniques) and with rituals.

Finally, in the series (don't consider it a requirement though) all the featured yasha were related to the Chinese Mafia, so your PC could still be enjoy fame and wealth.
Generally, the arcane magic adds to the value.
Actually, the cap for single abilities is +5 (and that isn't set on stone), the only cap the game suggests is that, on character creation, no single roll should have a total bonus greater than +5.
Oct 9, 2024 9:04 pm
Welcome to the new people! The game's filling up faster than I expected.
Oct 9, 2024 9:31 pm
Yep! welcome to all the newcomers.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.