1.5 - The Wyr River: Hunger strikes....

load previous
Apr 16, 2015 2:38 pm
Merlin says:
"Thanks for taking point Yui. Let me quickly check whether it's locked, and if I can unlock it."

(Ooc: a 20! Whoop!)
Darazen: A 20? Take back your effort then.

This door has panels just like the others that light up when you approach the door. Yui, taking point, steps up to the door and it opens.

"Perhaps the spider is too small, or the door does not recognize it.", Darazen says out loud to no one in particular.

As the door opens, the lights snap on and a rush of air pushes an odor out. The air is dry and the odor is stale. The spider scurries in.

The room is 100 x 60 ft with the same white walls. There are tables and benches and chairs, mostly over turned with broken plates and platters scattered about. The room is clean, otherwise.

On the north wall, there are several panels next to smaller (2ftx1ft) doors, each about 4 ft from the floor. All but one of the panels are now lit and blinking.

At either end of the wall are doors. Unlike the doors from the halls into these rooms, but there are no panels. Both doors are closed.

There is a door like the others you have seen on the east wall. Only the left panel is lit and through the window, you see that the hall on the other side is dark.

From the window on the south side, a flash of light can be seen as more rocks are turned to dust in the sky above the town.

The spider has climbed to the middle of the north wall and attached to one of the smaller doors.
Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm
Keen to know what his spider discovered, Darazen opens the highlighted small door.
Apr 17, 2015 2:08 am
Merlin says:
Keen to know what his spider discovered, Darazen opens the highlighted small door.
Picking up the spider from the door, you notice that these doors do slide, but there are no handles or knobs. :)
Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am
Darazen places the palm of his hand on the door and attempts to slide it using friction.

If this doesn't work he looks for a control panel. Seeing the row of panels on the North wall he tries to match the panels with the doors. if there is a correlation he'll activate the panel that opens the food door.
Last edited April 17, 2015 2:25 am

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, trained, book, effort - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Apr 17, 2015 2:25 am
Utazó watches as Darazen works on opening the door.

"I'll give him two minutes before I just bash the damned thing in."
Apr 17, 2015 2:30 am
I'd Darazen fails to friction slide open the door, Khoren will attempt to force the doors open with the Push esotery.
Apr 17, 2015 2:04 pm
Darazen places his palms on the flat door and pushes in and down. Feeling resistance, he pushes up and feels a little give, but it fails to open and a buzz eminates from the panel to the left of the door he is working on.

Darazen turns to the rest of the party, "Hold on folks, I know you are hungry and I am too, and the spider said there was food here, but I think the panel needs to be used. Don't smash the doors yet, let me see if me or Vult can figure these out."

Opening his book to the entries and notes he took from their work on the port doors, he starts examining the symbols and sections on the lit panel. After a few minutes, Darazen closes his book and presses a few buttons. The display lights up and the symbols change. Darazen pushes a few more buttons until the symbols represent letters and the become more than gibberish.

"Apparently, our language of 'common' or the 'truth' is known as 'English' here. Okay, let me try this".

Darazen pushes a button, then says, "I would like a shepards pie without peas, bangers and mash, English tea with two lumps of sugar and..... A proper scone. Thank you."

The panel goes dark for a moment, then lights up with a few flashing lights. The sound of machinery and other Numenera hum from behind the wall. A small recessed light above the door flickers back and forth and then the panel beeps.

The door slides up and reveals a small cubicle with a tray. On the tray is a plate with a pie, another plate with potatoes and sausages, a cup of hot tea and a baked cake. The aroma of hot food bursts forth and surrounds you all.

Darazen takes the tray out and the door closes. "Well, that answers that. I think the other five units do that same thing. Don't everyone rush this one, give me a minute and I will set up the others. Also, this looks like food and smells like food....but...."

He turns back to the tray. He puts it on a nearby table. Overwhelmed by the smell and his hunger, Darazen picks up the sausage and sniffs it, then takes a nibble. He swallows and then starts to take another bite. He coughs and starts to gag. With his free hand, he grabs his throat and starts to choke.

After a quick moment, he stops and straightens up and smiles, "just kidding...sorry, but this is really good." He tries the tea and finds it good as well.

Darazen takes another bite and walks the the next panel and begins to work.

Once Darazen gets the panels set to the right language, everyone can put in their orders. :) Some things may not be available, like sushi (come on fresh fish?) but you can find alternatives and the panels will give you direction and even a menu to choose from, if you like.
Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm
As the smell of the food wafts into the area, Khoren will attempt to exactly duplicate Darazen's order, hopefully not mispronouncing the strange words too badly.

Rolls

Intellect check, remembering Darazen's food order - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Apr 17, 2015 2:17 pm
"You're welcome", Darazen says to no-one in particular, as the spider folds up into an inert ball having completed it's task. Casually Darazen places it into his backpack and continues to eat, realizing just how ravenous he was.

Darazen will aid Khoren telepathically while he eats.
Last edited April 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Rolls

Intellect - trained, effort - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Apr 17, 2015 3:50 pm
Once Darazen finishes setting things to understand Truth, Utazó rushes over to the panel and places her order. "Umm, I'd like an Aneen steak and a glass of water please. Oh, and a shot of whiskey as well."

Grabbing her food she takes a spot next to Darazen and digs in. With her mouth full she mumbles to Darazen, "Well done!!", and raises her glass in thanks.
Last edited April 17, 2015 3:50 pm
Apr 17, 2015 4:40 pm
"Cheers to everyone for making it this far! Tuck in."
Apr 17, 2015 7:23 pm
OOC: Rested AND fed? I am too good to you all.

XP award: 2 XP to Merlin for figuring out the food dispensers.
Apr 17, 2015 7:25 pm
Qralloq says:
As the smell of the food wafts into the area, Khoren will attempt to exactly duplicate Darazen's order, hopefully not mispronouncing the strange words too badly.
you got it, a plate filled with British food. Everything is bland, but hearty....tho the tea could be better.
Apr 17, 2015 8:11 pm
Khoren nods appreciately at Darazen, and thanks him through a full mouth of weird food.
Apr 17, 2015 8:16 pm
"That was a good find." Vult says cheerfully. He walks over to a machine and orders some food and water, which dissolves slowly into his gauntlet as he places his hand over the nourishment.

"Hmm. This seems bland. Does anyone want spices?" He asks.
Apr 17, 2015 8:43 pm
grandmaster says:

you got it, a plate filled with British food. Everything is bland, but hearty....tho the tea could be better.
Ooc: oi!
Last edited April 18, 2015 2:08 am
Apr 18, 2015 2:29 pm
szemely says:
Once Darazen finishes setting things to understand Truth, Utazó rushes over to the panel and places her order. "Umm, I'd like an Aneen steak and a glass of water please. Oh, and a shot of whiskey as well."

Grabbing her food she takes a spot next to Darazen and digs in. With her mouth full she mumbles to Darazen, "Well done!!", and raises her glass in thanks.
You are so hungry that you did not notice the steak was different than what you had asked for. Thinking back, the panel beeped a few times, but you were not sure what that meant. And, Aneen steaks tend to take 15-20 minutes to cook and this one was done in under 5.

After several bites, you notice the flavor is different. You look down and see the meat has more "marble" in it. You pause for a moment, reflecting on the taste. It is not a bad taste. As a matter of fact, it is quite good.

You take another bite and the tenderness strikes you now. Aneen is rather tough and chewy, yet this is tender and almost melts as you chew.

You take a sip of the water. It is cold, crisp and refreshing in the clear glass cup. You hold it up to the light. Nothing is floating in it.

"This is good", you think to yourself.
Apr 19, 2015 2:15 am
Tara straightens the room up a bit, putting chairs and tables upright so that they will have a place to eat. Then Tara goes up to a dispenser when one is available and say "Steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, peas, cold water, apple pie".
Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am
Perception checks, everyone
load next

Thread locked