1.5 - The Wyr River: Hunger strikes....

load previous
Apr 30, 2015 6:40 pm
Qralloq says:
"Remember when that tracking device said the Assassin's Heart was 900,000 kilometers away? I don't even know how that is possible, is the world that big? Have we left Earth, Vult, do we know for sure?"
You see Vult start scratching on a piece of paper, numbers and arcs and lines and triangles and .... you head starts to spin.
Qralloq says:
Khoren walks over to the food dispensers and looks for the pitcher of dark fluid. I wonder what they were drinking?
You find a picture menu on the screen and start scrolling through it. You find two items that look like the dark liquid you saw and ask for a glass of each. The machine beeps and produces both in glasses on a tray. Picking up the first one, it is hot and steaming. It has a fragrant aroma, smelling of something roasted ... but you cannot put your finger on it. The smell is good and you put the cup to your lips and take a sip. It is hot, but what strikes you is it is very bitter. You spit it out asking how anyone can drink stuff like that. You put the cup down and pick up the second. It is cold and has chucks of ice in it. The chunks are all uniform and float freely. Looking closer, the liquid seems to boiling slightly and bubbles rises up, still it cold. "Odd", you think. You lift the glass to your mouth and the bubbling fizz tickles your nose. You take a sip and the cold, the bubbles and the ice cannot hide the fact that this drink is sweet. It reminds you of a drink your mother gave you as a child made from a bean that grew locally. She sweetened it with the juice from another tree and this is like that, only sweeter and bubbly. You take another drink. It is almost too sweet, but better than that bitter concoction. You drink the rest.
Qralloq says:
He then goes to the door that the apparitions fled through and gazes about.
The hall on the other side is dark. As you approach, the panel on the left of the door lights up. The panel on the right remains dark. Peering through the window, you press your hands against the door, cupping them and hoping to shield the light from getting in. The window is cold, but you hold your place, waiting for your eyes to adjust.

As your eyes do adjust, you see a hallway on the right about 20 feet down from the door. You concentrate more there appears to be shadows moving very slowly in the distance, maybe 50-60 feet away. They are barely illuminated by the light bleeding from the window.
Apr 30, 2015 6:49 pm
Objulen says:
"How far away from earth are we?" Vult asks, amazed by the conversation. "I suppose this is an entirely artificial environment?"
After several minutes of scratching and calculations, you are not sure. You could be somewhere else, but the stars groups are pretty much the same. The terrain is different that anything you have ever seen, but it does match what is described as beyond the south wall.

Still, the sky is too different. That device said that whatever it was tracking was 238,900 miles or so away. It is possible. There are Numenera scholars who think the moon is 235k to 240k miles away. That would fit, but no one has ever been there and the moon has this big green stripe. Maybe you are near the stripe, like above or below it or something.

Still, something about it makes sense. It is plausible. You feel you need to study more.
Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen recalls Utazo's concerns about ghostly figures, and is disturbed to witness them first hand. After the mild possession passes he turns to Zo and says, "So you weren't imagining ghosts. There really is a presence here!"

It isn't clear to Darazen what the significance of his experience was. Could it be that a major event took place here and everyone died? Certainly outside the windows the landscape seems shattered, and the clue is that meteors were the culprit. ~I wonder if we too are at risk?~

Still sensing goosebumps following his spectral experience, Darazen moves to a window to examine the landscape and the skies above. He applies his intellect to determine whether there appears to be further threat from the skies.
As you look out the window, a canon on the ridge above lets out a silent beam and shatters that was falling towards one of the domes. Searching the landscape, you notice other such cannons posted around this structure. The rocks are not hard to see, when they get close and the cannons strike each one, sometimes more than once to turn them into dust. As your eyes fall to the northern most dome, move above catches your eye.

A large rock is falling to the ground, coming straight for the dome. You scan the cannons and the two closest seem to be trying to respond. However, they don't seem to have the arc right. That's when you see it, on the northern ridge, the debris of a cannon and its station. It's been smashed and has partially slid down the ridge. You look up and the find the rock again, following it down as it crashes into the northern most dome.

"Yes, we could still be at risk."
Apr 30, 2015 6:58 pm
GrantUrDeth says:
Tara cuts off another succulent portion of steak and pops it into her mouth, she seems completely unfazed.
Juicy, but needs A1
Apr 30, 2015 8:22 pm
"Well.." Tara says while finishing her meal and downing a glass of cool water, "If we are still at risk I suggest we all finish quickly and scavenge this place quickly and return home. What does the device say now about the Heart? Is it close by? Or do we need to port again? I think it's somewhat clear that this is not the launchpoint of the invasion. We haven't seen anyone.." she pauses a moment and says "anyone alive at least. So either there's another portal they are coming through or perhaps the portal can send people to different places and we need to figure out how." Tara then stands up, puts her mask back on, and prepares to head out.
Last edited April 30, 2015 8:23 pm
Apr 30, 2015 9:25 pm
Vult looks up from his paper. "It's probable that we are on the moon, or some other kind of orbital body. Maybe a space station?"
Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm
"We are on a moon? For real? Am I the only one who thinks that's fricking awesome? When I agreed to travel with a caravan I didn't expect to become an astronaut!"

Moving over to Khoren he says, "Shall we keep searching? This seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity!"
Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm
"This is no moon, its a space kitchen," Khoren says enigmatically. "We should continue on. This place is clearly in disrepair and failing fast." He moves aside for Darazen and Vult to work the doors, and turns back into the room. Gulping back the rest of his brown sugar-swill, he checks his weapons and cyphers, and then makes eye contact with the other three, ensuring that Tara, Utazo and Yui are finished their meals and ready to go.
Apr 30, 2015 11:43 pm
"Failing, yes, fast, I don't know. But we should keep moving." Vult replies, answering as he goes to help Khoren with the door (OOC: assuming the door won't just open.

Rolls

Helping with the door, trained, tools. - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 1, 2015 1:09 am
Objulen says:
"Failing, yes, fast, I don't know. But we should keep moving." Vult replies, answering as he goes to help Khoren with the door (OOC: assuming the door won't just open.
The left panel is lit and functions okay. But, you also know the left panel controls the door side. You step over to the right panel and it is not light and does not react to you as you try pressing it in different locations.

You know you can open the door from the left panel, but it will not control the other functions.
May 1, 2015 1:54 am
"Looks like we shouldn't go that way. If we can't control the atmosphere or gravity it could be problematic."

Darazen selects a door that has left and right buttons lit, access to an unexplored area, and adjusts controls to allow safe passage.

(Ooc: btw, specialized not trained)
Last edited May 3, 2015 11:06 am

Rolls

intellect - buttons, numenera, book, trained - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 2, 2015 10:52 pm
Vult will see if he can repair his panel. "Let me see if I can. Fix this."

Rolls

Intellect, specialized, book/tools, level of effort - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 4, 2015 12:45 am
Objulen says:
Vult will see if he can repair his panel. "Let me see if I can. Fix this."
You are on the right track, but when you pull the panel off to expose everything. There are cards and crystals, but nothing is lit up. One crystal in particular looks burnt and cracked.
May 5, 2015 3:59 am
Attempting to help Vult Darazen examines the burnt crystal then opens up food panels to see if he can finds replacement.

Rolls

Intellect - specialized, book, effort - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 5, 2015 10:54 am
Vult will also check the other machines for a crystal.

Rolls

searching for crystals! - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 5, 2015 10:15 pm
Utazó continues to look on as Vult and Darazen work on the panel. "Anything I can help you two with?"
May 7, 2015 3:23 pm
"Maybe." Vult answers. "How skilled are you with the Numenera?"
May 7, 2015 4:25 pm
"I'm not even sure I can spell Numenera correctly."
May 7, 2015 4:28 pm
"Seems you can pronounce it correctly, after that it's all phonetics."
May 7, 2015 6:12 pm
Overhearing Darazen and Utazó, Khoren will attempt to assist them in repairing the console.

Rolls

Numenera, specialized - (1d20)

(16) = 16

load next

Thread locked