Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Aug 15, 2017 9:46 pm
Mordred's mote of flame darts through the air and lights on the approaching longboat's sail.

As soon as the sail catches fire, a cry goes up. The half-orc's eyes widen, he barks a single word, and pivots back to the ramp.

You all hear the sound of a chorus of longbows releasing in unison.

I'll give you all a split-second to begin taking an action in response to this.
Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm
Domarc drops to the deck for fear of being struck by an arrow; once that has passed, it's fireball time
Aug 15, 2017 11:23 pm
Zangua rolls to find cover, trying to dodge the attacks.
Aug 17, 2017 3:43 pm
Anybody else got an action to take, or is this all just happening too fast for your character to react?
Aug 17, 2017 4:06 pm
I'm kinda wondering if we have a bunch of people on vacation/summer stuff that keeps them away?
Aug 17, 2017 6:51 pm
nubs says:
I'm kinda wondering if we have a bunch of people on vacation/summer stuff that keeps them away?
OOC:
Yup :P I was in florida for a week, and then Indiana for a week and a half. I'm back now though!
Leth watches the situation unfold, completely tense, wondering just how far these pirates would go. When they were commanded to strip and drop their weapons, he knew it would get ugly.

No way any of us are just gonna let these guys walk all over us.

As the volley begins, Leth draws his bow and quickly looks for cover. (Dodge action)
Aug 18, 2017 11:23 pm
I'll assume a dodge/hit the deck response from Mordred and Terra as well; everybody give me a DEX saving throw.
Aug 19, 2017 12:23 am
Zangua tries to avoid the incoming arrows.

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm
Domarc huddles on the deck.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Aug 20, 2017 4:56 am
Leth tries to maneuver behind some cover before the arrows strike.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Aug 21, 2017 3:56 pm
A rain of arrows hammers down on the deck of the ship. Some of you are not quick enough to avoid the onslaught.

Edit: Everybody but Leth takes some damage.

After the first volley falls, those in the party who raise their heads see a grim sight on the deck. At least four crew members lay dead or dying, and one, with an arrow sticking out of his neck, is struggling to throw off the pirates' boarding ramp.

Any party member may take an action at this time.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Damage to Mordred, Terra, Felor, Domarc, and Zangua - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (23) = 5

2d6 : (66) = 12

2d6 : (64) = 10

2d6 : (11) = 2

2d6 : (14) = 5

Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm
OOC:
What is the distance on the three longships? I would like to cast Fireball on one of them, but not the one right beside our ship for fear of fire. If there is one within range (150 feet) I will fireball it. If not, ignore this post and I'll do something else.
Domarc reappears and and launches and streak of fire towards one of the longships where it explodes.
Quote:
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame.
Each creature in a 20-foot radius must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.
Last edited August 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Rolls

Fireball damage - (8d6)

(32634211) = 22

Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm
OOC:
I saw that the leader turned back to the boarding ramp; did his companions already leave the ship?
Aug 22, 2017 1:56 pm
Mordred takes advantage of the rain of missiles to fire his own arrow at the half-orc leader from hiding.

Rolls

Shortbow with Advantage (attack from hidden) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

Base Damage, Sneak Attack Damage - (1d6+3, 3d6)

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

3d6 : (554) = 14

Aug 22, 2017 9:18 pm
The second ship is within Fireball range; the third would be too far away. Terra is stepping away from the game indefinitely so we're going to retcon that she got dropped off at her original intended destination after adventuring with you guys on Vorch. More updates and resolution of above actions shortly!
Aug 23, 2017 7:41 pm
Mordred shoots the half-orc in the back as he stumbles down the ramp; he tumbles into the sea. A split second later, the injured crewman succeeds in shoving the ramp off the side of the Swiftness of Camazotz, falling off the side of the ship along with it.

As these events are occurring, Domarc casts his spell and blasts the other approaching longship with a massive fireball that devours the sails in an instant and sends pirate archers cartwheeling over the edges of the boat, tongues of flame clinging to them. A cry goes up from the third and most distant ship. The archers on the boarding ship ready another volley of arrows, but a voice shouts, "Hold!"

Still aboard the Swiftness of Camazotz, the female half orc, bloodied from what must have been a glancing arrow shot to her shoulder, holds up a scrap of white cloth. She briefly glances back at the longboat as then archers slightly relax their drawn bows, then turns to face those of you on deck. A column of black smoke rises up from the longboat behind you, there are screams and groans audible over the roar of the flames and the crackle of burning wood. "You rule your water. Let us negotiate a parting." She shoots a glance to her left, at the crumpled body of Cornflower Ocean-Lover, pinned like a specimen to the deck by four arrows. "Who is your captain, now?"
Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Are there any sailors still on the ship and/or alive?
Aug 23, 2017 9:29 pm
"Well, that complicates matters," Domarc says, approaching the body to check for any sign of life though he's pretty sure he knows the answer. "Ride, captain, ride upon your mystery ship."

Domarc scans the deck to see if he can spot the first mate.
Last edited August 23, 2017 9:30 pm
Aug 23, 2017 10:04 pm
Without a doubt, Cornflower is dead.

In addition to him, there are four dead crew members on deck, and one deckhand cowering by the mast who seems to be completely unharmed. Another leans against the starboard railing with an arrow in his chest but is still breathing. That leaves eight crewmen unaccounted for, but several of them jumped overboard per the pirates' instructions. Domarc does not see the first mate or the boatswain among the dead.
Aug 24, 2017 11:19 am
"He's the captain now." Mordred says, pointing at Domarc. "And this brave soul is his First Mate." Mordred nods and winks to the scared deckhand and gently shoves him towards Domarc.

You'll be the best negotiator, Bard. Go for it.
load next

Thread locked