Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Aug 30, 2017 5:26 pm
They don't do Thieves' Cant, but some of the crew are translating and explaining here and there to keep you abreast of what's going on.

Three of the older crewmen want to hang the boatswain for cowardice, the other are opposed on the grounds that he's the one most capable of taking over the ship. There's also some anger and mistrust toward the party for burning the pirate ship when Cornflower seemed to have been handling things in a way that would have prevented any loss of life, but many of the direct witnesses to these events were killed; they are putting pressure on Flat Snake and the other survivor of the arrow rain to tell them more about how it all went down.

The most vocal of the anti-boatswain crewmen, a stout and graying fellow named Sour Fruit, starts to demand an immediate vote on who should be recognized as captain.
Aug 31, 2017 9:37 am
While the others debate their next move, Felor fetches some old sacks and sail canvas from the hold and prepares the dead crewmen for burial, wrapping each body in fabric and tying it tightly closed.
"Fjorgyn, we commend these souls to your care. May they live forever on Helgafjell, in warmth and comfort.
As the rain on the mountains turns to streams, and the streams turn to rivers, and the rivers turn to seas, so we submit these bodies to the water which first fell upon your mighty peaks."

Felor looks to the remaining crewmen to see if they wish to say anything.
Aug 31, 2017 3:54 pm
Felor manages to derail the call for vote, for the moment, by initiating culturally inappropriate burial practices. The crewmen quickly abandon the debate and start to unwrap the bodies, chiding Felor and shooing him away from their dead.

While this commotion is going on, the crewman Felor healed whispers something to Flat Snake, who hurries over to Zangua and speaks quietly to him.

BullOctorok sent a note to CancerMan
Aug 31, 2017 4:00 pm
Domarc watches all this with a bemused expression, not certain if he's happy that his short stint as "captain" appears to be over...but not unhappy about it either.
Aug 31, 2017 5:09 pm
"I ain't killing no one that didn't fight me first," Zangua says, narrowing his eyes at the sailor.
Sep 1, 2017 8:42 am
The sooner we're off this god-forsaken ship and back on dry land, the better, thinks Felor.
Sep 1, 2017 5:39 pm
Flat Snake awkwardly shuffles back to join the rest of the crew. Sour Fruit starts to gesture for the crew to gather with him up on the poop deck. Some words are exchanged, and the boatswain begins to shout in a loud, strident voice. One of the larger crewmen comes up and grips him tightly by the upper arm and he stops shouting and follow the rest of them up to the deck. Flat Snake and the healed crewman follow, glancing back at the party with worried looks on their faces.
Sep 1, 2017 6:20 pm
Felor approaches the other party members and says in a low voice "I don't know what they're talking about but I suspect they may see us as having brought about their bad fortune with the pirates. I'd rather have no further bloodshed so perhaps we can make some sort of arrangement to compensate them for the losses. Extra payment for passage perhaps."
Sep 1, 2017 6:32 pm
With the party, Zangua reveals what was said to him. "That man said we had to kill Sour Fruit and take control, otherwise we wouldn't make it to shore alive."
Sep 3, 2017 4:46 am
Leth looks concerned. "Great. So now we gotta watch our backs here on the boat, too?" He says quietly. "We just wanna get back to the mainland safely and as soon as possible, just like the rest of them. Surely we can find a way to make that happen without further violence or mutiny."
Sep 3, 2017 9:40 am
"Seemed like they wanted it done on the sly," Zangua adds. "At least, probably 'cause they didn't want it knowed that someone on the crew was giving us a tip. In any case, I'm no assassin."
Sep 3, 2017 4:30 pm
Domarc sighs and scratches his head. "Which one do we negotiate with to make the rest of the way to shore, do you think? And how much should we offer?" He moves towards the poop deck and casts Tongues as he goes, so that he can barter with the crew easier.
Last edited September 3, 2017 4:31 pm
Sep 3, 2017 5:24 pm
Zangua points out Flat Snake. "That's the one that came up to me," he says, though he shrugs if that's the answer to Domarc's question.
Sep 5, 2017 3:07 pm
Domarc approaches the gathered crew, giving a nod to Flat Snake.
Sep 5, 2017 3:40 pm
Flat Snake avoids eye contact with Domarc.

"You. Go below deck," Sour Fruit says. "All of you."
Sep 5, 2017 4:45 pm
"No," Domarc says, drawing himself up. "We are your passengers, and part of the last charge given you by Captain Cornflower of the Swiftness of Camazotz - and, I dare say, after the events of this morning, part of the crew as well. I negotiated with the pirates of the Mournful Mother on your behalf, and won from them a promise to leave your ship in peace on future voyages. Decisions must be made now, about how this ship gets home and delivers on the final promises made by Cornflower.

As we stand on her deck and have fought for her, we will be part of what decisions are made about the fate of the Swiftness and those upon her, until such time as we are delivered to our destination."
Sep 5, 2017 4:51 pm
Give that an Intimidation or Persuasion check, your choice.
Sep 5, 2017 5:10 pm
No whammies, no whammies

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Sep 5, 2017 5:30 pm
One of the crewmen whispers something to Sour Fruit, who nods slowly, never taking his eyes off of Domarc. A heated conversation follows in the crew's native language. Sour Fruit starts to ask questions of Flat Snake, who answers in nervous monosyllables. The boatswain looks more and more anxious, but as Sour Fruit delivers a long and angry-sounding speech, his expression crests into something resembling relief. Abruptly, Sour Fruit descends from the poop deck and starts walking toward the forecastle, with two other crewmen following him.

"Sour Fruit is the captain now," Flat Snake says. "No-one will be hanged. We return to Utwar." He still sounds a bit shaken by the questioning.
Sep 5, 2017 5:35 pm
I had Tongues going, so I would've been able to understand the conversation/speech - but only if you think it's important. If the outcome is all that matters, then we will just carry on.
Last edited September 5, 2017 5:39 pm
load next

Thread locked