Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm
Zangua pauses as the truce is established. He grips his glaive tight, ready to physically intervene should negotiations turn sour.
Aug 24, 2017 7:19 pm
Domarc arches an eyebrow at this turn of events, but growls at the crew. "Get those men back on deck! See what we can do to aid the wounded."

He turns to the half-orc woman. "Indeed, we rule our water. What terms do you offer?"
Aug 24, 2017 7:35 pm
The cowering deckhand -- you recall his name is Flat Snake -- takes a few tentative steps toward Domarc.

"No more bloodshed or burning," the half-orc says. "Let us help each other rescue our people who went overboard. Give us food and drink as you can spare, for some of ours are hungry. Do this and we will leave this water as friends, and remain so if we meet on other water." She hesitates, glancing around the deck. "We will want to recover as many of our arrows as we can, as well."
Aug 25, 2017 12:24 pm
The flurry of arrows and fireballs had caught Felor by surprise and he had barely had time to react. He leans on his spear and arches an eyebrow at the half-orc.
"That's lot of pleas for help coming from someone who just boarded our ship and demanded our valuables. Some of yours are hungry? Some of ours are dead! Food? Arrows?! We'll pull everyone back aboard our respective ships and then you'll leave us be or that last ship of yours will go up in smoke too."
OOC:
Who is the Mournful Mother? I did a Religion check earlier that didn't get a response, it was 14
Last edited August 25, 2017 12:26 pm
Aug 25, 2017 6:55 pm
"None needed to die!" the half-orc snaps. "You set our ship ablaze! More of our brothers and sisters die even as we speak!"

It's true; you can hear the screams of those burning alive in the flame-engulfed longboat off the starboard side. The half-orc raises her arm and the archers on the other longboat draw their bows again and hold them at the ready.

"Give us what we need to survive, and let us part as equals."

Edit: Sorry, you have no idea who the Mournful Mother is.
Aug 25, 2017 7:32 pm
Mordred puts an arm around Felor's burly shoulders and draws him away from the negotiations. "I think Cap'n Domarc and Snake-Boy have things under control. Look, this man needs help hoisting something. You're good at hoisting."
Aug 25, 2017 9:42 pm
"We are agreed on recovering the wounded," Domarc says. "I have a hard time seeing why your lack of provisions is our concern, but give me a moment to consider. Events have perhaps moved faster than we wanted."

Domarc takes a couple of steps towards Flat-Snake and talks to him quietly, out of earshot of the half-orc. "When we make land, I doubt you'll see any of us again. You and this crew will still be out here though; is it worth it to your crew to have friendship with these Mournful Mothers?"
Aug 25, 2017 11:16 pm
"None needed die, she says, having arrived with three-dozen longbowmen pointed at us," Felor mutters under his breath as he throws a rope down to the crewmen who had jumped overboard earlier. "None needed die!"
Aug 25, 2017 11:22 pm
Zangua stays where he is, within charging distance of the half-orc, making no move to help any crewmen while she remains on board and faraway archers loaded with ammunition.
Aug 26, 2017 12:27 am
Flat Snake does not answer, for as soon as you pose the question to him be begins sobbing uncontrollably.
Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm
Domarc sighs, and claps Flat Snake on the shoulder. He turns back to the Half-Orc woman.

"What does your friendship mean? Is it just safe passage, or a promise to render aid when needed, is what I am asking. And on which waters might we expect to find you/"
Aug 28, 2017 5:08 pm
While Domarc speaks to the half-orc, Mordred begins quietly asking some of the remaining crewmembers what kind of provisions the ship might have to spare. If we are well-stocked (especially considering the shorter than expected stay on the island) it couldn't hurt to cough up a few barrels.
Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm
The half-orc casts a look back at the most distant longboat and sighs. "We go where we go. If we meet again we will leave you to your water, and keep to ours."

Given that you're suddenly down a few crew members, you could spare some provisions and still make it back to Utwar without stopping to resupply.
Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm
"A word, Captain?" Mordred pulls Domarc aside. "Let's give them what they want and go. It looks like we have more than enough to go around."
Aug 29, 2017 6:56 pm
"Fair enough," Domarc says. "Bring some food and water for our new friends. In return, they will leave the Swiftness of Camazotz alone on whatever water they encounter in the future. The crew of this ship shall do the same for the longships of the Merciful Mother."

Domarc reaches out a hand to the half-orc woman.
Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm
"Mournful Mother," she corrects Domarc as she shakes his hand.

The third longship keeps its distance while the men overboard are rescued and the provisions are loaded. The fireballed longship is a total loss, sinking soon after its mast collapses.

When all is done, you recover four crewmen from the ocean and find two hiding below deck. Felor is able to save the wounded man on the railing with a cure wounds spell, and he is able to identify the crewman who died throwing off the boarding ramp as the first mate. That leaves just one crewman unaccounted for, presumably drowned, and eight survivors aboard the ship.

The remaining crew is quite shaken by the loss of their captain, in whom they placed great trust and loyalty, and there seems to be some open anger and resentment towards the boatswain and deckhand who hid when the pirates approached. While the longships of the Mournful Mother make a swift retreat southward, the Swiftness of Camazotz remains still in the open sea. The crew seem undecided as to who should take the helm now, and have been debating their next course of action in their native language, leaving the party somewhat excluded.
Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm
"Ho there!" Domarc says, loudly. "I know you have much and more to figure out now. But can I suggest that what takes importance now is a return to Utwar? Once there, you can decide the larger questions."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Aug 30, 2017 4:41 am
OOC:
I can't help but feel we missed a great opportunity for an "I'm the captain now" joke.
When it became apparent the situation would be resolved with words rather than violence, Leth hung back with Zangua and let the wordsmiths do their work.

Now he stands among the rest of the party, feeling as unsure as the rest of the crew what might happen next.

"Well, that was... not how I was expecting that encounter to go. Could have been worse, I suppose. Also could certainly be better. I just hope we manage to make it back to Hazard on schedule." He mumbles to his companions.
Aug 30, 2017 5:59 am
Zangua only nods. He had never trained for naval battles, and was at a loss for how to manage multiple warships while evading arrows. "Do we have enough crew to make it ashore?"
Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am
If there is a language barrier, Mordred will try a little Thieves' Cant to see if there are any sailors with a shady past on board.
load next

Thread locked