Game Thread

load previous
Jun 6, 2015 2:12 am
"Care to grab a bite to eat before we die horribly in the mines?"

Me and Halal should probably travel together, lest our badges get stolen and our heads beaten in.
Jun 6, 2015 7:47 am
I sit under silent green glow of the Falladus baubles and meditate for a long moment. I don't know how many minutes pass before I open my eyes again. I reset my subconcious to recieve and stare at the possessions before, the trinkets left for the dead. I pore over every facet, every nuance. What types of things they are says much. Tools or toys say much different things then weapons and armor. Material components can indicate wealth or poverty. Small nicks and scratch indicate different types of wear and tear. Every object tells a story.

I turn each item over in my head and try to glean from them the details of the lives of those that were lost.

I use effort on each roll.
Last edited June 6, 2015 7:49 am

Rolls

Identifying the objects outside of baubles and flowers (trained + effort) - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Notcing any important small details that would help figure out who they were (t+e) - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Jun 6, 2015 4:08 pm
Thom counts the shins out, and stares at the shopkeeper in his disconcerting way before packing the torches and rations and leaving the shop. He exhales and his lips move, as if he meant to say thank you but no sound emerges, and he leaves the store.

As a guardsman Thom knows Faladon well, and will only stop if he has to intervene in any blatantly criminal act. He wishes to buy a grappling hook and 12 more bolts for his crossbow, and then return to his bunk in the guard's sleeping quarters to have a nap before the expedition.

If I can get the goods without any incidents, then I am ready to go.
Last edited June 6, 2015 4:09 pm
Jun 6, 2015 6:03 pm
"Yes, a meal sounds good. Wouldn't want to die without food in my belly."

Hal will head with Arret to the nearest eating establishment.
Jun 7, 2015 12:15 am
Heiro

You reach the geologist's place. For a scientist it's actually rather well kept and not disorganized with research. Inside the shop you find many different colored rocks, baubles, and gems perhaps from the depths of Faladon. A dark skinned man with long braided hair is examining the properties of a violet bauble with a cyan center and holding it with gloves.

"Ah welcome visitor to welcome to my shop. The names Johanaves. Say, what can I do for you?"

He puts the bauble into a container with water. As soon as the bauble touches the water it immediately is surrounded by flames as it submerges into the canister.

--------------------------

Arret & Halal

Looking to get a full stomach before going into the depths you decide to find some place to eat. After a bit of walking you end up at the pub near the Faladon Arena called The Precipice. Its not nearly as big as the other pubs but it's got a more homely feel to it. In the center of the pub is a pile of Acadius Baubles in a pit together. The heat they are generating fills the hall with enough warmth. You pick an open table and sit down. A short stubbly lady comes out from behind the counter and reaches your table.

"You two look like you need some meat on those bones! What are we getting for you today?"

---------------------------

Thom

You manage to pick up the rest of your goods with ease while dropping 8 shins for the materials you could find. It took awhile for the shopkeep to find a grappling hook as they were under the impression that they were out of them. Afterwards you start to head back towards the guards post hoping to sleep a little bit before you are needed later. You get back and set aside your recently purchased goods and begin to drift off to sleep awaiting when you are needed.

--------------------------------
Dominador

You notice the other objects are just homesakes brought to by the families. You can tell its probably things that the lost had liked. There is a loaf of bread near the memorial that suggests either one of them was a baker or perhaps they had a favorite stand to get food from. Another set of rocks left by suggest one of the missing was a collector of the various mine-able materials found here. They probably were a fan of the local geologist's work. Otherwise the stuff doesnt seem that much out of the ordinary. You can tell that the first search party was a voluntary operation rather than one people were hired for. The lost vary in range and gender. Some as young as their late teens others in their late 60's.

Tentative Ready Checklist

Arret
Halal
Dominador
Thom ✔
Taachi ✔
Heiro
Jun 7, 2015 12:26 am
Well, if we need meat on these bones of ours, then how about some meat for me?! I'll take whatever you got, rare.
Jun 7, 2015 1:47 am
"Indeed, sir, I came to ask about this bauble. It doesn't seem special to me, maybe you can tell me about it. Also, what do you know about the missing miners? Do you know of anyone else who may want to go down there, bad enough to kill someone for a mining company badge?"
Jun 7, 2015 2:28 pm
Try as he might, Thom cannot sleep. This is what he has been waiting for ever since he came to Faladon - a chance to explore the dark caves beyond. He pulls himself out of bed and makes his way to the one place in town which is his surrogate for actually exploring - the Hall where he can read about the caves and the rocks and baubles to be mined there. Although the librarian couldn't believe that the monosyllabic glaive could even read the first time he visited, he has since become a regular reader there, his Mystical nature helping to fill in some of the gaps of his education. This part of him draws him towards reading about baubles and numenera which have been found in the mines, and it is this he now wants to read about. His mind on his current mission, he collects the most recent publications and starts looking through what has come out of the mines in recent weeks and months, imagining himself in those dark caverns as he soon will be. Sweat beads on his brow as he does so. Though the subject is interesting for him, the act of studying really is a struggle.

Sorry to go back on what I said, but it occured to me that Thom might actually have this interest, and I wanted to do my bit for party exploration!

Rolls

Research on recent numenera / bauble finds. Trained in numenera. One level of effort - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Jun 7, 2015 4:17 pm
"Aneen steak, if you have it, but unlike my friend here, I would like mine cooked a bit longer."

As Hal makes a bit of small talk with the waitress, he scans the room, looking for anything that may be out of place.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jun 7, 2015 11:47 pm
Arret will give the place a quick Scan while he's waiting on the order.

1 int point from my pool spent with the edge
Jun 8, 2015 2:06 am
I don't know what I came here to find. Looking at the items, I can tell there are more people down there than I originally suspected. Theyr are also of all sorts. Probably caring folk. Caring folk that haven't eaten in some time. Caring folk that are probably injured. I can't think of what else I can do here but prepare for the journey. I ask for strength at the memorial from the assembled items.

I then head to the general store. I buy a grappling hook, a first aid kit, and x4 more days worth of rations spending the last of my shin. I don't think four days extra a food will be enough but it may be something. After that, I head back to my place to sleep a bit before I head to the Dragon's Breath one last time.

I buy the list of items for what should be 21 shin. I want to rest until evening and then head to the Dragon's Breath for a fight. That can happen off screen unless you want to play it out. If you don't, I'm done and will meet back at the guardhouse after a simple fight to let off some steam.
Jun 8, 2015 5:08 pm
Arret & Halal

"Right, two aneens steaks with one still bloody and running away. Ill have those up for you guys in a bit. Let me know if you need anything

The woman begins to walk away as Arret scans the room. Theres a couple of patrons in the pub as well as various metals from the china and rocks from the building material and other furniture. the patrons are in mainly groups of 2-4 with a couple of lone drinkers.

Halal begins looking around the area and notices nothing too out of place. The cook appears to have his hands full while you are chatting up the woman because she wasnt attending the rest of the pub. As she walks back you can hear him saying to her "I realize you're just being nice and making small talk but we're short today so you gotta work quick."

After awhile of small talk to you the woman returns to you with your steaks. Even though the cook was in a rush the steaks appear to be well cooked, especially the rare steak which seems to be perfectly done.

------------------------------------

Heiro

Johanaves motions you over to him and to give him the bauble. He looks at it for a couple of moments before tossing it into a container.

"Ah yes that is but an Azure Bauble. Its a pretty common stone. Thats ones a dead one which is why I did you the favor of tossing it out. They're worth basically nothing after theyve served their use for lighting. You can find those all over the place down here."

Johanaves opens another container and hands you a fresh Azure bauble. This one shines much brighter than the other one. This one has a piercing blue glow thats almost painful to look directly into whereas the dud one was a translucent clear crystal with a hint of blue coming from the center.

"I don't know much about the miners. Sad story I agree but my work is dedicated to the rocks and not who digs them up. I also don't know why anyone would want to steal the badge but to go down there and hunt for the more rarer baubles" he says as he begins to scratch his brow.

-------------------------------

Thom

After what seemed like hours of digging up publications and figuring out which ones had to be false and which ones that just might be true youve come up with a pair of things rumored to have been seen or rumored to be down in the depths of the caves that have a decent level of plausibility to them.

You read a story about a pair of a cherry blossom set of baubles down in the depths. Every time a miner has scene them they usually go to show their superior (stealing from the depths is a serious crime where as mining it out with permission grants you a lot of shins so its not normally worth the effort to steal) and when they return with said supervisor they find that the baubles have gone missing. It seems as though every time they are documented their location has changed.

You read another story about a black gem with a red center in it. Normally no one would believe a story that said the rock produced voices whenever you were near it but being mystical you feel as though there is a certain level of truth to something like this. The voices appear to be evil in intent from which the writings have shown.

-----------------------------

Dominador

After spending the 21 shins you head back to your place to have a rest. Conveniently for you your room happens to be a couple buildings away from the Dragons Breath. As you head to the door to your place you hear the familiarity of the pub youve worked at for awhile now and it calms your unease a little. You tell yourself that you will visit it once more before heading into the depths to take a little bit of it in with you before trekking somewhere much more unfamiliar.

You may wake up whenever or you may visit the Dragons Breath on your way back to the guards place. Its up to you.
Jun 9, 2015 2:06 am
Schauer says:

"I don't know much about the miners. Sad story I agree but my work is dedicated to the rocks and not who digs them up. I also don't know why anyone would want to steal the badge but to go down there and hunt for the more rarer baubles" he says as he begins to scratch his brow.
My face hardens a bit. "Tell me about these 'rare' baubles. I would know more about my enemy."
Jun 9, 2015 4:56 pm
Everything seems to be in order so Arret promptly begins to dig in.

"omnomnomnomnomnom"
Jun 9, 2015 7:10 pm
Just a quick not everyone im going to try to wrap up the town exploration for now. Unless you absolutely need supplies where you're at now is the last place youre visiting until we get back unless you absolutely need something like supplies or what not. We are going to try to do a limit of visiting 2 places max in between town and the depths that way people can explore while also keeping the game thread as easy flowing as possible
Jun 9, 2015 10:11 pm
Halál, feeling bad that the women he was chatting with got a minor talking too from the boss, finishes up the meal and leaves a 2 shin tip.
Jun 10, 2015 1:02 am
Schauer says:
Just a quick not everyone im going to try to wrap up the town exploration for now. Unless you absolutely need supplies where you're at now is the last place youre visiting until we get back unless you absolutely need something like supplies or what not. We are going to try to do a limit of visiting 2 places max in between town and the depths that way people can explore while also keeping the game thread as easy flowing as possible
That's cool. Good. If you want to just get me from the geologist's place to the guard station so I can get a new badge I'm ready to roll.
Jun 10, 2015 1:14 am
Thom looks up from his documents and realizes by the illumination in the cave outside that he has been here longer than he thought. He puts the papers into a neat stack, and hands them back to the archivist with a nod and a grunt. Heading outside, he makes his way back to the guardhouse.
Jun 10, 2015 6:11 pm
Alright ill be wrapping everyone up here and getting to where everyone is back at the guard house

Heiro

"Too many to tell you about. Youll know them when you see them though" he says with a smile. He moves over to another canister and takes out a bauble that is a bright yellow that makes a low hum to it. An orange smoke permeates off of it as well when exposed to the air.

"You're one of the search party people yes? If you find anything down there dont hesitate to bring it to me for experimentation" he says with a smile as you leave the shop. You reach the guardsplace where you are supposed to meet up and are the first to arrive out of the search party. You notice Adonis,Bellatrix,and Selphon are just behind you. It takes about 10 minutes and is pretty painless but they finally get you a new badge.

--------------------

Arret & Halal

As you leave the establishment well fed (And subtracting 2 shins from Arret and 4 from Halal which Ive done for you you realize that you are right on schedule to be heading back to the guard station. Youre the next set of people to arrive and you pass by heiro whose heads a little busted and is talking with a woman to get a new badge. You may your way into the meeting room and notice the twins and Bellatrix are already here.

-------------------------------------
Dominador and Taachi

You wake up a little bat late. After awhile of getting ready and packing your things you realize there just isnt enough time to visit the Dragons Breath one more time. After taking one final look at it you begin your way to the guard station. Along the way you bump into Taachi who was also making his way to the station. He is whistling some tune you havent heard of before and you two end up just walking together to reach the guard station.

-----------------------------------------------
Thom

You quickly make your way to the guard house. You know your way around the streets of Faladon pretty well due to being a guard yourself you could afford to be as late as you are. You manage to reach the house just as Heiro finishes up getting his badge and you too exchange acknowledging looks before entering the room together.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As you all sit down and begin talking you notice the disappearance of Yasin and the appearance of Thom. Before one of you could ask Captain Marshall makes his way into the room

"Good, im glad you guys could be punctual and make this job a bit easier. As you can tell we have a new face in here for the Job. Your other colleague has decided that he would rather spend time in our cells than the depths making good shins. Thom's a guard of mine and will be accompanying you guys on this mission just as Yasin would."

The room turns their heads to acknowledge Thom before looking back at Captain Marshall.

"Alright. So first things first we need to get the power back on in the caves. They have a manual lift that can get you to the floor you need to be on to reach the power generator. From there on communication will be hard to transmit and it will be considerably dark down there. Should an event arise dont feel shame in making it back here in one piece. You're more good to us alive than dead."

"So if you dont mind lets start heading on over"

You all follow together as a group of 10. You leave the guard station and head south towards the Faladon mining buildings. You pass the area where Heiro was mugged and after about 10 minutes of walking you reach the depths where there are 4 workers getting ready to manually let you guys down into the caves using rope and metal pulleys. The rope appears to be very strong. The captain turns around and looks at all of you.

"This is where your job begins guys. Find any and all survivors you can and figure out whatever the hell is messing things up down there for them. Get that power back on too so communications will be up again. "

After shaking everyone's hand you all step onto the lift. It seems to be made of some sort of synth metal with rope being used to move you guys down into the depths. After you've all stepped foot onto the lift they begin to let you guys down. It progressively begins to get darker with only a couple of stray baubles around to light things up in the immediate area around you. It soon becomes even more dark as the lift gets surrounded by more rock. Some small chat is being made between you guys before the lift abruptly stops. Everyone begins to look around quickly and the talking has stopped. All of a sudden Bellatrix begins to panic.

"Piece of rotten junk. Those stupid miners probably got the rope jammed. Perhaps some encouraging movement will help"

She begins to jump up and down to try to knock the rope free. Soon, after watching Bellatrix carefully, Adonis and Selphon also begin to jump in time with her. After what appears to be 5-6 jumps by the three of them you hear a faint snapping noise. After a couple of seconds a piece of metal clangs onto the top of the lift. You all look up and notice it was one of the metal pieces holding the rope at the top of the lift. Just after you hear two more snaps and the Elevator begins to plummet to the ground.

Each player roll a might defense roll in order to brace the impact of the lift's descent.

Rolls

Might Defense Bellatrix - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Might Defense Adonis - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Might Defense Selphon - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 10, 2015 6:38 pm
Thom feels the lift floor beneath his feet, and gets ready to make a compensatory jump upon impact.

Thom will augment his might defence with his trained balancing and/or jumping if possible.

Rolls

Might defense (+balancing? +jumping?) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.