Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Feb 16, 2018 4:22 am
Over the next few days, things are quiet and Otto and Alondo stay at opposite ends of the formation, but don't let their little argument change their effectiveness. Throughout the next few days, you get the feeling that you are being followed. You see shadows out of the corner of your eyes frequently, but there's never anything there.

The fourth day from their little fight, you smell death as you enter a new cavern. Moving cautiously in, you come across the remains of some drow, five in all, as well as their lizard mounts. The smell is not pleasant, but still isn't overpowering, so you know they haven't been dead for too long. From the distance that you're at now, you don't see any other dead bodies, whether they be friend or foe of the drow.
Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm
Mai'ngor stalks warily into the cavern with Sinag drawn. He checks one of the drow bodies for clues as to how they died. "What do you make of it?"
Last edited February 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Rolls

Perception (around the cavern) - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Investigate the bodies - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Burn 1 Luck point on that Investigation - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 16, 2018 4:47 pm
A slight smile starts to form on Elfog's face as he takes in the gruesome scene. "Drow patrol that weren't as sneaky as they thought be my guess" he says quietly, his expression quickly changing back to one of caution.

"I'm guessing we ain't as sneaky as we think either."

Rolls

Perception (on the look out) - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Feb 16, 2018 5:11 pm
"I wonder if you can smell this," Hunter says, seemingly to herself. She wraps her sari-like cloth over her head and around her nose and mouth.

Her semi-muffled voice calls out, "Were they slain by blade or by beast?"
Feb 20, 2018 3:35 am
I stand over the bodies, looking over their wounds. "Does it really matter?"

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am
"Well..." Hunter begins, then looks uncertain. "No."
Feb 21, 2018 2:19 am
Elfog and Mai'ngor don't notice anything else odd in the cavern, but it's quite clear that the drow and their mounts were killed by something with large claws. Three thick and long claw marks are evident on the body of each drow and their mount and, based on their relatively clustered positions, you'd guess it happened rather quickly.
Feb 21, 2018 4:48 am
"Claws. Pretty easy to figure that out. Keep an eye out for something big, and fast-moving." I look through their bodies for anything of worth.
Feb 21, 2018 5:15 am
Hunter asks, "Similar to a vrock? Or, perhaps more than one?"
Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am
Melpomene draws her cloak closer around her and peers out at the darkness.
Feb 21, 2018 1:58 pm
I shrug. "Maybe."

Rolls

Nature check - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm
"Let's not stick around too long," Hunter says, urging her lizard mount forward.
Feb 24, 2018 5:30 pm
Looking at the corpses, Xeliss is able to determine that they look like they could have been caused by Vrocks and definitely come close to previous injuries that you've seen caused by the creatures before. In the distance, you hear the beat of large wings moving away and then its gone.
[ +- ] Loot
Your companions are looking around nervously and a few are nervously fingering the hilts of weapons. "I didn't sign up for this," you hear one voice whisper, and a murmur of agreement moves through part of the crowd. You can't identify the source of the voice.

Moments later, Sarith appears from the darkness as if out of nowhere, "I don't see any sign of danger nearby. Perhaps we'd better move on quickly before we get caught out here in the open."
Feb 24, 2018 6:25 pm
Hunter nods, and looks to Melpomene. "Lead the way." Whatever thoughts she might have on the murmuring crowd is kept to herself.
Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am
After giving a quick, shooting glance back in the direction of the whining, Elfog grunts, and gets ready to move out.
Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am
After giving a quick, shooting glance back in the direction of the whining, Elfog grunts, and gets ready to move out.
Feb 25, 2018 2:29 am
Before moving to lead the party once more Melpomene moves through them, speaking words of encouragement and praise, calling each by name. She ends with her hand on Fisk's shoulder as she says, "You are not alone. We will protect one another. The gods follow us still, even into the darkness."
Feb 26, 2018 4:34 am
I grab the gold and weapons, holding out the weapons to anyone who looks less armed than they should be.
Feb 27, 2018 4:35 am
In total, two rapiers, one whip, and three daggers are taken from Xeliss. The men of your retinue seem to be heartened by Melpomene's words and stand a bit straighter.

After leaving the site of the massacre, you have a very tense few days as the whole group is frantically watching out for signs of demons. Your paranoia proves to be correct as you see shadows dark lights in the shadows all around you, like the eyes of a predator watching its prey right before it pounces. Looking around, you count at least eight pairs of lights, though it's hard to tell as they begin moving in circles at the periphery of your vision.

"Be careful!" you hear Sarith shout from out in the darkness, "Form up defenses, they'll attack soon!"
Feb 27, 2018 4:40 am
I climb atop the shield guardian and await any sign of an immediate threat.

Rolls

Initiative? - (1d20)

(16) = 16

load next

Thread locked