Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm
OOC:
Sorry, busy with house stuff! You have five knights, five guards, three spies, and one scout. Plus the Shield Guardian
Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm
OOC:
On top of the NPCs, we have Mai'ngor, Elfog, Hunter, Xeliss, and Melpomene
Several more days pass as you wander through the unending gloom of the Underdark. You travel in near-darkness most of the time unless you wander through caverns lit by luminescent fungi. Were it not for the guiding light of the amulet, you would have no idea where to go.

Tensions are running high among your underlings after the disappearance of Wayne and Garth. On the twelfth day out, as you travel through the quiet caverns, you hear shouting from the back of your group.

"Suck a beholder's eyestalk, you ignorant son of horse's ass!" one of the men, Otto by name, shouts from the back of the group, his raised voice piercing through the silence of the cavern and echoing ominously through the surrounding tunnels.

"You... you... son of a bitch," the other man, Alondo, shouts, far less eloquent imaginative Otto. He looks like he's about to turn away, but then launches a punch at Otto's face, connecting with the other man's cheek and sending him staggering back.
Jan 30, 2018 10:22 pm
Hunter turns, looking back at the beginning of the scuffle. She then leans over and whispers to Elfog in Dwarvish, "10 gold on Otto."
Jan 30, 2018 11:29 pm
I scrutinize the men before I place my bet. Who is more likely to win?

Rolls

Perception- who looks stronger/better at fighting? - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Insight- who looks scrappier/more motivated? - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Jan 31, 2018 12:01 am
"Got no coin, Lass, but even if I did, I wouldn't be betting against that one" he chuckles in response, motioning with his chin toward the freshly fallen Otto.

"But...." he sighs, "Probably best to put a stop to this non-sense, don't ya think?"
Jan 31, 2018 6:10 am
"What? I mean, there’s no harm in a friendly wager. They probably won’t kill each other. Right?"
Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am
Melpomene steps between the men and faces Alondo. This is the first time any of them have seen her truly angry, and she looks back and forth at them as she says, "Stop! Is it not enough that enemies surround us, longing for our death...you must bring strife between us? You are men, not boys. Resolve your differences or ask for help, but do not resort to fisticuffs. We cannot afford to do our enemies' job for them. There are too few of us left." By the end of her diatribe, sadness has tinged her anger.
Feb 2, 2018 3:45 pm
"Ain't them I'm worried about" Elfog responds to Xeliss, taking a long hard look at the surroundings.
Feb 2, 2018 3:59 pm
Hunter slides forward. "What was that all about, anyway?" she demands of the men.
Feb 4, 2018 3:56 am
Xeliss would say that Otto looks more skilled and tougher, but Alondo got the first hit in the exchange and doesn't look afraid to fight dirty. It could be anyone's victory at this point.

Both men have the decency to look ashamed as Melpomene berates them. Otto rubs the back of his head and looks away, not saying anything but looking profoundly uncomfortable.

Alondo turns beet red, but shakes his head, "Don't matter now," he says, obviously not keen on revealing the cause of the scuffle.
Feb 4, 2018 4:33 am
"Mel's right. You two better not get us killed. Keep your focus or you're gonna disappear like those other guys."
Feb 4, 2018 6:05 am
"Oh good. If it doesn't matter, then you can tell us," Hunter says, standing like it's a perfectly reasonable expectation.
Feb 6, 2018 1:28 am
Otto shakes his head, "No, I think not," he says firmly as Alondo opens his mouth to speak, causing the other man to remain silent, "I can promise it won't cause further issues like this. That should suffice, should it not?"
Feb 6, 2018 2:58 am
"I see. Some great secret difference of opinion that caused a slight on one's honor? A noble chastisement in defense of virtue?" Hunter says, listing fanciful tropes with a contemplative finger on her lips. "How chivalrous!"

The half-elf returns her attention to Otto and Alondo, and she lowers her voice in a conspiratorial whisper, "Well now I simply must know. Did one of you, perchance, find yourself smitten with our strapping young stallion there? I won't tell."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+9)

(10) + 9 = 19

Feb 12, 2018 1:20 am
"Stallion?" they both ask, eyes flicking toward Mai'ngor.

"Not quite," Otto says, shaking his head, "Just talking about a girl back home is all, I swear."
Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm
"How romantic," says Hunter, her tone belying that she either does not think it such, or has lost interest in the whole thing. She turns away from the two men and to Melpomene. "Let's get going, shall we?"
Feb 13, 2018 12:57 am
Melpomene inclines her head in agreement.
Feb 13, 2018 2:58 am
I sigh and move to the back of the group, keeping a closer eye on the help.
Feb 15, 2018 12:30 am
"Aye" Elfog replies bluntly, giving a piercing glance to Otto and Alondo, before falling in line.
load next

Thread locked