Chapter 1, Day 1 Morning: The Witchwood

load previous
Jul 22, 2015 6:37 pm
Before the enemy can strike down at Zaris, who has left himself exposed while tending to Kaiakas, a blast of energy strikes him in the chest and sends his scarred body tumbling backwards into the woods.

Rurik hits and kills!

Bad guy post when I get home (an hour or so)
Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm
Corban barely deflects the armoured hobgoblin's blade. The fury of their battle makes it hard to aim at him, and the two hobgoblins with longbows again miss their quarry.

Seeing his companions struggling to hit the fighter, the cleric holds out his holy symbol and a blast of radiant energy streaks towards Corban. High on adrenaline, Corban twists as the bolt nears and it strikes the ground harmlessly where he had been a moment before.

Just as that happens three more hobgoblins round the corner at the end of the road and start towards the battle, swords drawn.

Corban is, again, missed by a greatsword and two arrows.
Cleric casts Guiding Bolt, but misses Corban.

Corban and Xara are still engaged with the Armoured one. Zaris is midway up the road along the ridge with the unconscious, but stable, Kaiakas. Rurik is behind Corban and Xara - you have sight and clear range to everything.

Three hobgoblins appear the the top of the map on the road.

Zaris stabilizes Kaiakas, but only has a Move Action this round.
Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm
Corban bellows in frustration, "I've had enough of this! Die you ugly son of an ogre"

He thrusts with extra fury, trying to find an opening in the heavily armoured foe.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 22, 2015 10:55 pm
Where the armoured hobgoblin has found Corban hard to pin down, Corban has found the creatures armour difficult to penetrate. His strike, yet again, deflects off the thick blackened half-plate covering most of the creatures vulnerabilities.

Corban misses
Jul 22, 2015 11:13 pm
"Wrong way! Look over here!" This time, I try something new and aim downwards, throwing most of my weight behind the thrust into what I hope is the hobgoblin's upper thigh.

Rolls

Sharp pokage - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sneaky sneak - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jul 22, 2015 11:34 pm
Xara's hopes are realized as her blade is indeed aimed at his upper thigh, but unfortunately there's another thick plate of blackened steel beneath the leather strips dangling from his belt and her blade deflects off harmlessly.

Miss!
Jul 23, 2015 3:17 am
Zaris grabs Kaiakas by the shoulders and attempts to drag him off to the side hoping it will be easier to defend there than in the open.

OOC: Half movement then since I'm dragging him?
Jul 23, 2015 1:52 pm
As my most recent blast dropped the hobby, an oily black smoke rises from its blasted corpse. It flies across the battle field to surround me whirling around and around until it coats my exposed skin in a semi-translucent black sheen. I smile and turn my efforts back to their spellcaster. "Hey cleric, will yer piddlin' god protect you a second time?" I bellow, hoping to at least draw some heat off of Arjen as he pulls Kaiakas to safety by attacking their spiritual leader. OOC: I have 3 temp hit points from Dark One's Blessing. Using my move action to try and get between the three new hobgoblins and Arjen (or as close as I can get) before attacking
Last edited July 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack vs clerics belief - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Eldritch blast damage - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm
Zaris pulls the unconscious Kaiakas into the shelter of the woods, as Rurik's blast strikes the Cleric in the chest, searing his robes and leaving a nasty black scar.

As he does so, one of the hobgoblins that just joined the battle scrambles up the escarpment and pursues him into the woods. The other two charge down the road towards the fray. The two hobgoblins with longbows again fire arrows at Corban, and again fail to hit their mark.

The hobgoblin in the thick armour growls and swings his blade again at Corban, again failing to hit his mark, although Corban barely evaded the attack this time. He gets the feeling that, if things carry on like this, one of those blows will remove his head...

The hell hound at the armoured hobgoblin's side finally joins in the battle, attempting to bite at Corban to no effect.

The cleric's hands glow and he presses them onto the big hobgoblin's back. The creatures weapon briefly glows white and he grins at Corban, "I'll split you in half now!"

Rurik hits for a huge 11 Damage.

One hobgoblin is near Zaris, not yet engaged... but will be.

Corban is missed by 2 more arrows, a great sword attack and a hell hound bite. He's apparently favoured by the goddess of luck today.

Corban and Xara are engaged with the Armoured Hobgoblin and the Hell Hound
The Cleric is near this fight engaged with no one. Two more fresh Hobgoblins are near him.
Two Hobgoblins with longbows are still on the left escarpment
One Hobgoblin with a sword has climbed up the right escarpment and is bearing down on Zaris (who has Kaiakas' unconscious body now in the woods)
Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm
Tymora's tits, maybe I did figure out that shield spell... Corban thinks to himself as another volley of arrows fly past him. Frustrated that this monster is still standing, he steps into the big hobgoblin, feigning with his shield before bringing his sword around in a careful slash.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1d8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jul 24, 2015 4:12 pm
A slash which, again clinks off the creatures armour and is deflected harmlessly. The hobgoblin chortles as it hefts its greatsword and makes to slash at Corban again, this time, however, the weapon has a faint golden glow...

Sadly, a miss. Roll better!
Jul 24, 2015 4:19 pm
All the death and violence surrounding me has got my blood up, energies swirl around me making my hair lift on aetheric winds. A cruel smile splits my face as I lock eyes with the cleric. I stick out a hand and flick my fingers as if dismissively brushing dirt away sending me another bolt of demon-aided energy his way.

Rolls

Brushing that cleric off existence (Eldritch blast attack roll) - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm
The bolt of black energy slams into the cleric. He stands up straight on impact, his body shudders for a moment, then he collapses to the ground and lays there still, and very dead.

Hit and killed the Cleric
Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm
"This has been fun, but no more playing games. You know who I am? I'm the one who's gonna mess you up good." One day, when they sing songs of this battle, they will remember the epic, inspiring words I spoke throughout the battle. But for now, that's the best I can do. I focus all my energy on the armored hobgoblin willing him to fall.
Last edited July 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Rolls

Attack? - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sneaky sneak - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jul 25, 2015 1:36 am
Zaris pulls his sword out and holds it horizontally in front of him and then crouches down in front of his fallen comrade. "Ahhhhhhhh!" he yelled, bracing himself for the impact of the hobgoblin's attack.

OOC: Taking the Dodge action to force attack roll disadvantage against me.
Jul 25, 2015 2:52 pm
Xara's attack barely leaves a scuff in the creatures armour. Meanwhile, Zaris panics and feebly holds his sword out hoping that by putting a blade between himself and his foe he'll emerge from the attack unscathed. The hobgoblin swings his blade. Undefended, the attack would probably have killed Zaris, but his feeble defense and general panic work, and the sword comes up at just the right angle to deflect the attack.

The armoured hobgoblin swings his greatsword at Corban. The blade, guided by the glowing gold light, finds its mark. The blade cuts off a chunk of Corban's shield and impacts on him on the side. Fortunately his chain mail blunts the blow, but he'll have one or two bruised or broken ribs from the force of impact alone. Two more arrows fly at Corban, one lands in the dirt beside him and the other grazes his hand.

The hell hound goes for Xara, nipped at her legs while she tries to get a good angle on the hobgoblin. She has little trouble avoiding the rather large, reddish fleshed, spike-furred beast.

The two other hobgoblins who came running down the road scramble up the escarpment to get around the prolonged battle between the armoured one, the hell hound, Corban and Xara. They position themselves and ready to leap down atop Rurik and get revenge for their fallen priest.

Zaris narrowly avoids a critical hit
Corban is hit (25 vs AC) by the Greatsword for 8 Damage
Corban is hit (20 vs AC) for 2 Damage by an arrow (missed by the other)
Xara is missed by a Hell Hound bite

Zaris, you can have Inspiration for handling a big ambush the way any respectable academic would... with panic.
Zaris is engaged with the Hobgoblin

Kaiakas, I'll allow you to expend a spell slot to heal 1d6 hit points per level of the slot expended as an Aspect of Tyr appears before you (and only you) and grants you the opportunity to prove yourself by defending your stalwart companions from these thieving, vile Hobgoblins. No other cost, just the spell slot (so you'll get a regular ol' turn if you do it).

Two archers still happily flinging arrows from the left ridge

Hell Hound, Armoured Hobgoblin, Corban and Xara are all engaged
Two Hobgoblins, on on each side of the ridge, are not engaged with anyone and are preparing to assault Rurik
Rurik is not engaged with anyone either
Jul 25, 2015 5:49 pm
"Ouch! That stung asshole! Let's see if you've got another one of those in you!" Corban swings his blade in a taunting flourish at the large hobgoblin,attracting its attention while catching his breath.

OOC:Action:"hey look at me! ", bonus action:second wind
Last edited July 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Rolls

Second wind heal - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm
Corban draws the attention of the big hobgoblin, giving Xara an opening that hopefully she can capitalize on.

Xara has Advantage on her next attack against the big guy -- roll your attack twice and take the better result!
Jul 26, 2015 12:56 am
No more taunts left in me, I aim my rapier straight at that hobgoblin's head.

Rolls

Attack! (with advantage) - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Attack! (with advantage) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jul 26, 2015 1:54 am
As the sound of battle faded, a flash of golden light woke me. Standing before me was a being that radiated power and that golden light.
"Stand up, Kaiakas. Stand and be the paladin Tyr knows you can be."
It's voice boomed in my head. That light ... It was too bright. I couldn't stand to look at him directly. That is when I saw that he wore the symbol of The Maimed God, Tyr.
"Stand, Kaiakas! Show these vile creatures what it means to cross a servant of justice!"
I grit my teeth and summon all my strength to stand as the light of the angel flashed once more and disappeared.
When I finally stood, I found Zaris protecting me against a hobgoblin.
[OOC: With my fighting style, Protection, I impose disadvantage on the hobgoblin's next attack to Zaris with my shield (and reaction). Also including attack Romo for next opportunity since I've lost my place in initiative.]

Rolls

Healing self - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Attack - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.