Chapter 1, Day 1 Morning: The Witchwood

load previous
Jul 27, 2015 1:42 am
The wizard can hardly believe his luck as the hobgoblin's attack doesn't open his throat from ear to ear. He pivots back around, a sense of warrior instinct (something he has only read about in his books and heard about from Corban) flowing through his veins. He reaches his right arm down and pulls his sword out in a slashing motion hoping to catch the hobgoblin off guard.

"Get away from us!" he yells as loudly as his elven voice can.

Rolls

Short sword slash - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Using my inspiration for advantage - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am
Zaris swings the blade and, the hobgoblin not expecting much from the mage, is surprised when the sword cuts across its chest leaving a nasty wound.

Hit for 5 Damage!
Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm
I draw in the piece of the clerics soul as his body collapses to the ground and then turn to the two hobgoblins climbing toward me. I repeat the same dismissive gesture that has served me well so far.

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Hobgoblin destroying damage - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jul 27, 2015 6:55 pm
Rurik's gesture produces a fizzle of black energy that dissipates as the hobgoblins leap down from the ridge and descend on him, their blades flashing through the air as they attack. He sidesteps one and into the other one's blade, which fortunately only scratches him as he twists away from the attack.

The hobgoblin fighting Zaris swings at him, and as the blade nears the mage's chest, Kaiakas rises from the ground and deflects it with his shield, making his own attack in return. The hobgoblin evades the attack and assumes a proper combat stance, preparing to battle the newly risen paladin.

The two hobgoblins on the ridge fire more arrows at Corban, determined to fell the hard-to-hit fighter. Both arrows find their mark, striking him hard. He stumbles back, out of the way of the cleaving greatsword attack from the armoured hobgoblin. Mean while, the hell hound lunges for Xara and gets a good bite out of her. Blood drips from its maw as its mouth begins to glow red and the air around it warms...

Rurik is attacked (15 and 19 vs AC) and hit for 2 Damage
Zaris is missed by sword (19 rerolled into a 4)
Corban is attacked by arrows (19 and 19 vs AC) for 9 Damage (5 and 4)
Corban is missed by great sword (10 vs AC)
Xara it Critically Hit (24 vs AC) by a bite (7 Damage)

Rurik is engaged with 2 Hobgoblins
Corban, Xara, the Armoured one and the Hell Hound are engaged
Kaiakas and Zaris are engaged with 1 Hobgoblin
2 Hobgoblin archers are free to move
Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm
(OOC- Down to 1 HP.)

"Well Corban, that went well! Hey, where did everyone else go?" The blood is starting to pool at my feet. My blood? Am I getting dizzy or is the world spinning around me? My arm and rapier seem to move of their own volition as I take what will likely be my last swing at the beast that ripped out a chunk of my leg.
Last edited July 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Rolls

One last attempt at an attack - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Near-death experiences are inspiring maybe? - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm
Stepping to the side of Zaris to give him a clear shot if he wished, I summon the inner light I tapped into to heal myself, igniting my sword in white-hot light. "By Tyr, I will strike you down!"
[OOC: Casting Searing Smite. If it hits, the target ignites in flames and takes 1d6 additional fire damage at the start of his turn until a successful Con save (DC 13)]

Rolls

Weapon Attack - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Weapon damage - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Searing Smite (fire damage) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jul 27, 2015 9:14 pm
"Time to die, you ugly son of a..." with a surprising amount of rage, Corban swings his longsword around, looking for an opening in the armoured hobgoblin's defences.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Inspired attack! - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Damage with Longsword - (1D8+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Jul 27, 2015 11:36 pm
Corban's blade clinks off of the creatures armour, but it's immediately deflected off. It slips upwards, slides under the shoulder plate, cutting it away and a chunk of the creatures shoulder. It howls in pain, shifts its grip on its great sword to favour the new wound and starts in with a heavy, reckless, swirling attack.

Xara's rapier stabs into the hell hound and it lets out a yelp and retreats a step back. Her wounds keep her from pursuing as it takes a deep breath, flames building up within its mouth...

Meanwhile, Kaiakas thrusts his glowing blade forward but the hobgoblin easily parries the attack.

Corban hits for 8 Damage!
Xara hits for 10 Damage!
Kaiakas misses

Rurik and Zaris up
Jul 28, 2015 4:02 pm
Eyes narrowing as some of the soul essence buffing me is sloughed off by the hobgoblins blow, I focus on the one who hit me and set about blast him into his component atoms

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Eldritch blast (disadvantage roll) - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Damage (assuming this hits) - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm
Ruriks' blast slams into a tree behind the hobgoblin. It's difficult to aim when two blades are being swing wildly in your direction.

Zaris steps forward and slashes at the hobgoblin, cutting across its throat. The creature's eyes go wide, and its gasps while grasping at the wound and falling over. It stops twitching as Zaris and Kaiakas step over it and move towards the ridge and their allies.

Rurik Misses

Zaris hits for 5 Damage

Rolls

Zaris Sword - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Sword Damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Aug 2, 2015 11:50 am
The two hobgoblins converge on Rurik, slashing at him without much thought for form and style. The warlock manages, through the will of some dark fate, to avoid both attacks with relative ease.

The hobgoblins archers loose arrows at Kaiakas and Zaris as they emerge from the woods. Zaris is glazed by an arrow and Kaiakas defelects one with his shield.

The armoured hobgoblin's greatsword slams into the dirt path where Corban was moments before. He grunts, hefts the blade and prepares for the inevitable counter attack.

The hell hound, fire collecting in the air arounds its mouth, rears up on its hind legs and belches out a coulmn of fire that engulfs Rurik, Corban, Xara and both hobgoblins that are attacking Rurik. The hobgoblins ignite and fall to the ground, thrashing for a moment before laying still.

Ruruk is missed (9 and 12 vs AC)
Zaris is hit (19 vs AC) for 5 Damage
Kaiakas is missed (12 vs AC)
Hobgoblin's fail Dex save and die to Hell Hound Fire

Rurik, Xara, Corban - start your turn with a DC 11 Dexterity Save. On a fail you take 11 Fire Damage, on a success you take 5 Fire Damage.
Aug 2, 2015 2:28 pm
I see it happen before it does, but there's no time to get out of the way. The last thing I see is the blast of flame before my world goes dark.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Aug 3, 2015 1:29 pm
Seeing the flames reaching for me, I desperately dive out of the way. Unfortunately the sight of the Flames catch me off guard as I have visions of my infernal master calling my soul to his service, the flames washing over and burning me severely
Last edited August 3, 2015 1:30 pm

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 3, 2015 3:07 pm
As the flames surround and burn me, a demonic face appears in the flames and commandingly bellows "No!". The word, writ large in flame rushes back to hell hound in a hellish rebuke. OOC: Dex save vs DC12 for half damage (fire typed)
As the flames recede and I remain standing, barely, I send a blast of eldritch energy back at the hound

Rolls

Hellish Rebuke Damage - (2d10)

(76) = 13

Eldritch Blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Disadvantage attack roll (if needed) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Eldritch Damage - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Aug 3, 2015 7:42 pm
The blast of hellish fire wraps around the hell hound. When the flames clear, the beast lays still on the ground, its body charred and blackened. Rurik quickly tries to redirect his eldritch blast to hit the hobgoblin leader, but is too late and it slams into the ground harmlessly.

Hit and killed the Hell Hound.
I took your blast to then be aimed at the Armoured Hobgoblin.. and it missed.

Characters left:
Corban (still need the Dex save, then your turn if you're still up)
Xara (owes me a Death Save)
Kaiakas
Zaris

Remaining Foes:
1 Armored Hobgoblin engaged with Corban
2 Hobgoblin Archers engaged with no one on the ridge
Aug 3, 2015 8:51 pm
I feel heavy. Not exactly feel. More like the air is heavy? That must be it. Strange.

Rolls

Death save - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Aug 4, 2015 3:49 pm
"Blast it!" Corban cursed as the flames engulfed him.

Barely diving out of the way, yet still singing the hairs on his arm, he spun, attacking the armoured foe again with his longsword.

OOC: Edits were after Dex save was successful or not, and updating my target to one that was still alive ;)
Last edited August 4, 2015 3:52 pm

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Aug 4, 2015 5:51 pm
Corban's attack hits nothing but air.

Kaiakas
Zaris are up
Aug 4, 2015 9:19 pm
As Zaris and I make our way from the woods, I survey the battlefield, locking my gaze on the armored hobgoblin. "Take care of the archers, Zaris." As I make my way toward the armored foe and bellow with the force of Tyr behind my words. My already silver eyes flare with inner light as I command the hobgoblin, "DROP!"
[OOC: I cast Command.]
Aug 5, 2015 3:12 pm
"Very well Kaiakas," Zaris says with very labored breathing. The last attack had taken him to the brink of death but he knew that he needed to act. He made his way as carefully as he could knowing that one more arrow would most likely be the death of him. Using whatever cover he could, he made his way to the archers pulling a small packet of sand from his pouch. The red, blue, and yellow crystals glinted in the light as he raised them in front of his mouth and blew towards the archers. I hope this works he muttered to himself.

OOC. Casting color spray.

Rolls

hp of monsters affected. - (6d10)

(2610943) = 34

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.